• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale": Sony's version of Super Smash Bros.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
[FONT=&quot]☯ At least Crash is in, but leaving out Spyro leaves me many questions, mind as well put him as DLC. Other than that, if the info is true, the character list is better than I thought it would be. [FONT=&quot]★[/FONT][/FONT]

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well hopefully all of this is true, the roster really wasn't all that exciting to me up until now. 20 characters for a fighting game now also seemed kinda small too.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Shame that Spyro didn't get in, but was confirmed (?) for cut.

:phone:

iLink

Smash Champion
So are those 4 (Cloud and Crash) guaranteed or just rumors?
From what I'm reading on his blog, it seems that those 4 characters were supposed to be in, but that information was from a while back and those characters could have very well have been cut by now.

Basically he was told they were in at an earlier point, but he doesn't know the statues of them as of now.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So are those 4 (Cloud and Crash) guaranteed or just rumors?
It's all rumored.

The problem is people give Paul too much credit. He's been wrong far more than he's been right and this is likely false too. Basically, 20 characters. Maybe DLC, but doubtful.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Not true. He's been right about the first 20 characters, and he's made corrections on the few occasions in which he was mistaken (I think it was Nathan Hale's possible inclusion, but it turned out to be someone else.) or stuff changed (as is the case with the cut Lair stage). He's been right about almost everything.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Could you guys be more specific with your claim? He's been more than half of the time correct. Here's what I'm thinking:

Right:
The first 20 characters
Several stages
The codename "Title Fight"
The super move kill mechanics

Wrong:
At least 22 characters on the disc
A certain character inclusion (I think it was Nathan Hale, though he was quick to correct himself a WHILE ago when he found out he read the name wrong or something.)

Unconfirmed:
Capture-the-flag mode
The status of the final four characters (Crash, Snake, Wander, and Cloud), Connor and Kat (allegedly in negotiation), and Spyro, Dart, Ryu/Chun Li, and Ico (characters that didn't make the "final cut", though could still be much later DLC at this point)

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Besides, stuff in the game was subject to change for a while. It's possible that, at some point, Paul was right about a 24 character roster, but the huge leak made SuperBot switch the final four to DLC in order to maintain good relations with the IP holders and prevent said characters from being leaked.

Evidence: A guy from KojiPro said they were disappointed with Raiden's leak, because he was supposed to get a big reveal.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Holy ****, Wander, Old Snake, Cloud, and Crash are game-makers right there. If they prove true, I might need to invest in a PS3.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Seems like a chaotic, unbalanced, and relatively dumb game so far. >_>
Either combos don't exist like it was said they would, or they're in no way intuitive. Moves have a lot of endlag and very often send the opponent too far to keep hitting them or force them into the equivalent of knockdown, which they can only get up from by rolling or getting up in place, with what seems like full invincibility.
The only available modes in the beta are training (which is basically a tutorial on the controls) and online ranking match mode (which is only Free-for-all matches and I guess 2v2 matches if you actually have friends with a vita). And it doesn't seem like there's any way of keeping score mid-match.
The "online ranking system" makes no sense at the moment and I'm not even sure if it works.
Free-for-alls are ridiculously chaotic and it's nearly impossible to tell what's going on or what you got hit by.
Character selection is completely screwed up. The character you have selected by default changes after every match, and oftentimes you don't even end up playing as the character you select.
The items are completely broken, and the stage hazards are WAY too invasive.
The game also randomly disconnects mid-match.

Also audio chat that can't be turned off.

Pretty awful so far. >_>

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
^^I would jump to conclusions just yet, after all, it is a beta version am I right? I'm sure the development team might patch things up (for their sake anyway) otherwise...I fear it won't even compare to Nintendo's (smash) in terms of it's technical aspects, it's playability, mechnics? etc..

A shame Dart didn't make the cut nor Spyro D:

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I played it in a Walmart a few weeks ago, and I was similarly unimpressed. I'm sure all of the technical issues will be worked out before the final release, but I'm not feeling the KO system at all, or the fact that you can't keep track of KOs during the match (I suspect that will change soon though). I didn't get too deep into the various mechanics, but actually playing the game took me from "must buy" to "wait and see."

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Update thing:

-Sort of figured out the ranking system; it keeps track of how many points you win with each character (after each round you're awarded points depending on kill/death ratio and your placement in the match, and they can be negative). There doesn't seem to be a way to check your ranking vs other people though.
-Character select is indeed buggy; you only play as the character you select about 2/3 of the time, and once a match finishes, you return to the character select screen with a random character selected instead of the one you were just using.
-Seems that some combos can be performed, but they appear to be quite few and far between (I've only seen people playing Parapa and Kratos do things that look kind of like combos).
-Sly is pretty fun but there are some major issues in his character design; a teleport move with basically no startup/endlag and what appears to be a hitbox somewhere, and his block is really dumb. Basically, it turns him invisible. This invisibility is generally better than the Cloaking Device in Smash, meaning it prevents your player tag from showing your location and you're nearly impossible to see without the dust that appears when you jump and land. He has no grounded block, roll dodge, air dodge, etc; just this invisibility. It can be used for as long as you can hold the button down for and you have full range of motion while invisible, although you have to exit it to attack. This makes supers that rely on aiming and hitting an opponent almost useless because you can activate invisibility during the startup cutscene and be virtually impossible to find and hit.

Still trying it out, but it still hasn't quite hooked me yet, especially considering the only character that'd make it an instant-buy for me isn't confirmed (Kat from Gravity Rush) since I don't play a lot of Playstation games.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Hey dettadeus, you can turn off the opponent voices in the pause menu during the game.

One thing you guys have to remember though: The only mode we're getting is free-for-all (well, 2v2 is available if you have a friend to go with), so chaos is what you'd expect inherently from a free-for-all (like in Smash).

As for the combos, they aren't really easy to figure out; Smash has fundamentals of control design (such as grounded A button being a jab combo, Nairs about 50% of the time being sex kicks, Dairs sometimes being meteors, et cetera), but each character in All-Stars plays very differently, so you can't expect to get the combos down immediately, especially in a dumb spammy free-for-all with stage hazards turned on.

The fundamentals of the controls, which obviously vary with the characters, again, seem to be systematized by the attack type (such as Parappa's skateboard moves being on Triangle, and martial arts moves being on Square).

Weird, I'm on the PS3 version, and I never get the wrong character when I play.

Score display might be an option, as it is in Smash. Still lame that it's not default, though.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
If you can't combo then I'm afraid you're just a scrub.

And since when was a Free For All ever NOT chaotic?

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Radec's ability to camp and snipe people from long range with no consequence is absolutely stupid. He and Kratos need to be the first two hit with the nerf bat. I'm loving Fat Princess so far. She has a really easy combo that builds a good amount of meter. I've run into the character select bug once in the Vita beta, but other than that, it's been a smooth experience.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
They have really gotta rethink the kill system in this game. When ever combos happen its just about making said combo as long as possible to maximize metter gain. It doesn't add up to depth in my opinion.

iLink

Smash Champion
Radec's ability to camp and snipe people from long range with no consequence is absolutely stupid. He and Kratos need to be the first two hit with the nerf bat. I'm loving Fat Princess so far. She has a really easy combo that builds a good amount of meter. I've run into the character select bug once in the Vita beta, but other than that, it's been a smooth experience.
When has long range camping ever had a consequence in anything? You can also block his long range camping without any consequence. Its just that in FFA, people are too braindead busy mashing buttons to realize that he has gotten enough distance to effectively camp.

Also to anyone that is saying you can't combo, literally every character has combos. Hell, most characters can even combo into their supers.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
They have really gotta rethink the kill system in this game. When ever combos happen its just about making said combo as long as possible to maximize metter gain. It doesn't add up to depth in my opinion.

False. Some characters will build more meter on shorter combos, compared to others. For example, most of Kratos' combos have plenty of hits involved, but will not build up as much compared to a simple combo by Parappa.

And you can't make "combos" long as possible, because at some point, the opponent automatically breaks out of them.

And if you think you can get away with doing the same combo over and over in competitive play, then I don't feel you're going up against much competition.

iLink

Smash Champion
To be fair, not a lot of people have any idea what they are doing, including people in this thread it seems.

People online seem to fall into 2 categories. Those that just press forward Square the whole time, and those that sit back and camp and overuse their shield and rolls.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
When I got to play the EVO build of the demo at Comic Con Kratos was very easy to pick up and play as; but I didn't feel he was anywhere near broken seeing as the game felt fairly well balanced. The general consensus among those who played the demo at CC also seemed to think he was way above the rest of the cast at the time. I'd like to know how he's changed from that first playable beta to this openly distributed one.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
When I got to play the EVO build of the demo at Comic Con Kratos was very easy to pick up and play as; but I didn't feel he was anywhere near broken seeing as the game felt fairly well balanced. The general consensus among those who played the demo at CC also seemed to think he was way above the rest of the cast at the time. I'd like to know how he's changed from that first playable beta to this openly distributed one.
His range and priority far exceed everyone else's. It's revolting. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's Meta Knight-caliber bad, but it's pretty bad.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
If you have not been keeping up, Sony has been releasing short teasers for PS All Stars, with the date set at 10/23/2012. The teasers just show subtle hints to each character. It should be noted though, most of these characters have already been revealed, but two hints have brought on speculation.

In the latest teaser ad, we see the lady from the "Michael" ad going into the dungeon, possibly to "release" someone. Who this person is, we do not know. Also, she has a tattoo that says "Boko", which is a variant of a chocobo (Final Fantasy).

All 3 can be watched here.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/22/sony-releases-third-mystery-playstation-ad-the-aftermath

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591

it the same for most games as well, smash to max percentage damage, street fighter to deplete health ect

iLink

Smash Champion
Kratos' dthrow tech chase is hilarious, especially since you can end the tech chase with a lvl 1.

Also, do you seem to accumulate more meter the longer your combo? Like if a raw attack builds 10, does it build like 12 or more if you use it in a combo?

NessPSI

Smash Rookie
I'm surprised to see so many people complaining about Radec. No offence but... have you ever thought that MAYBE you just need to get better? I play as Parappa. (AKA the character with the shortest rang in the whole game) and I have no problem against any of the Radec's I fight online. Just guard whenever he's using his sniper riffle. Then once you get close to him DON'T let him get away. Radec's are usually only good at A distance so if you stay on him throughout the rest of the battle he won't be able to do anything to you.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I'm surprised to see so many people complaining about Radec. No offence but... have you ever thought that MAYBE you just need to get better? I play as Parappa. (AKA the character with the shortest rang in the whole game) and I have no problem against any of the Radec's I fight online. Just guard whenever he's using his sniper riffle. Then once you get close to him DON'T let him get away. Radec's are usually only good at A distance so if you stay on him throughout the rest of the battle he won't be able to do anything to you.
He still gains a ton of meter on block, which I honestly don't think is intended.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Loving fat princess so far, but hating the massive amount of kratos players

Gazdakka Gizbang

Smash Apprentice
Not impressed, personally. It feels like they took out the great parts of Smash and instead focused on using all the bad ones. Building meter to a Smash-Ball-esque attack, which is your only method of KO'ing someone leads to pretty boring gameplay overall, or not anything close to SSB. The whole advent and excitement of SSB, especially in Melee, was making comebacks and recoveries with high damage percentages and doing excellent variations to KO, whereas this game cuts out the skill of performing said recovery and ensures that the only way you get your KO is always the same move. No awesome spikes or edge hogs or directional influence, just the same kill move every time, and positioning to set up that move.

Also, can anyone tell me any of the maps even allow out-of-bounds KOs? Do we get any settings for the fight that aren't timer-based?

Top Bottom