• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PlayStation

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Use this thread for all PS3 and PS4 discussion

Release Date:
November 15 2013 USA
November 29 2013 EU

Amazon said:
  • "Suspend mode" eliminates the load time on your saved game and allows you to immediately return to where you left off by pressing the power button.
  • Background downloading and updating capability also allows you to immediately play digital titles as they download, or update the system when the hardware is powered off.
  • PlayStation 4 lets you instantly share images and videos of your favorite gameplay moments on Facebook with a single press of the "share" button on the Dualshock 4 controller.
  • Broadcast while you play in real-time through Ustream, allowing friends to comment or jump into your game in new ways.
[collapse=Launch Titles]Killzone Shadow Fall
The Order: 1886
Destiny
inFamous Second Son
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Battle Field 4
DriveClub
Mad Max
Watch_Dogs
Assassins Creed IV Black Flag
The Witness
THIEF
Knack
Skylanders SWAP Force
Dying Light
Daylight
Outlast
Mercenary Kings
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New 'n' Tasty
Blacklight: Retribution
Warframe
Contrast
Secret Ponchos
Ray's The Dead
Transistor
deep down
GALAK -Z
Doki-Doki Universe
Hohokum
Don't Starve

And they said PlayStation didn't have games.[/collapse]

For up to date info: http://us.playstation.com/ps4/

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I heard the PS3's supposed to premiere at 3:00 PT today (That's 6:00 for me... precisely when I'm going to an awards ceremony.).

Wonder what it's got. It might be better than the X360. Who knows?

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually, I rather like that banner.

Gonna be watching the sony conference live in a couple hours... let's see what they have in store.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Today saw the second of the big three console makers announce their next-generation platform. At its pre-E3 press conference, Sony Computer Entertainment gave the world its first look at the PlayStation 3, as it now is officially called.

The name was not unexpected, since Sony had been running an extensive teaser-ad campaign prepping the public for the PlayStation 3. The company had laid a blanket of posters around the Los Angeles Convention Center, site of the Electronic Entertainment Expo (aka E3). Bus stalls and billboards around the convention center proclaimed "Prepare for Chang3" in the distinctive PlayStation font with partial shots of the Dual Shock controller's square-circle-triangle-X buttons.

Sony also confirmed the PlayStation 3, will use Blu-Ray discs as its media format. The discs can hold up to six times as much data as current-generation DVDs. It will also support CR-ROM, CDR+W, DVD, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD+R formats. It also confirmed the machine would be backward-compatible all the way to the original PlayStation. It will also have slots for Memory Stick Duo, a SD slot, and a compact flash memory slot. It will also sport a slot for detachable 2.5 inch HDD somewhat similar the Xbox 360's.

Out of the box, the PS3 will have the capability to support seven Bluetooth controllers. It will also have six USB slots for peripherals--four up front and two in the back.

Sony also laid out the technical specs of the device. The PlayStation 3 will feature the much-vaunted Cell processor, which will run at 3.2 Ghz and feature 2.18 teraflops of performance. It will sport 256mb XDR main RAM at 3.2 Ghz, and have 256MB of GDDR VRAM at 700mhz.

Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around. It also has over 300 million transistors lager than any processor available commercially today. It was manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 ultras, which would cost rough $1000 if bought today.

The PlayStation 3 will also sport some hefty multimedia features, such as video chat, internet access, digital photo viewing, digital audio and video. Sony Computer Entertainment head Ken Kutaragi introduced it as a "Super computer for computer entertainment."
Why do you need 7 controllers? Why do you need 6 USB slots? So much for the Cell running at 4.6 Ghz.

edit: according to a lot of people, there is no way it could have 2.18 teraflops of performance.

The current concept. Taken from SCEE's site and hosted elsewhere because of slow speed from SCEE's site. Looks like a refrigerator.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lmao. That controller is even worse than the 360's (which looks alot better in good lighting conditions, I must admit).

Anyways, I thought the PS3 would look alot better than the X360, but in all honesty I think it almost looks worse. It's gonna cost a fricken arm and leg with all that crap in it. Seriously, I get game systems for playing games, not for everything else.

I already have a place to put my SD cards.

I can already play DVDs in like five different areas in my home.

I already have plenty of music-playing devices.

I can video-chat on MSN Messenger... for free.

I already have unlimited internet access on the nine computers in our house. And Web-TV sucks anyway.

For gods sake I'm not paying an extra $100 for features I don't want.

Please, Nintendo, let the Revolution not be ********. Please.

only1Z

Smash Champion
Well this is how Sony treated the psp, adding an extra $100 just for extra crap we don't need. One reason why I didn't buy it. The second being the price...which is due to the first reason. Although I'll probably buy the Ps3 eventually.....LONG LIVE NINTENDO!!!

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I think the console looks just dandy.

I think the controller might make a nice example of modern abstract sculpture, but there's no way in hell I'm going to be able to play games with that thing.

EDIT: Just look at those shoulder buttons! How the **** do they expect me to press those with any kind of ease or comfort?

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Originally posted by Cashed
Why do you need 7 controllers? Why do you need 6 USB slots?
Re: 7 controllers, it's because they're using Bluetooth that allows for up to 8 devices to be connected (1 host/console, 7 slave/controllers). It sounds interesting that they're using Bluetooth, though I haven't cared too much for the technology in my limited exposure to it.

As for USB, I don't know why a gaming console really needs it to begin with. My computer has that many ports, and it's... you know, a computer. I guess it'll have some uses, though (could it hook up with Sony's new Walkmen?).

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master

OMG

Did anybody actually watch the whole PS3 press conference? The hardware inside this thing is friggin mind boggling...I may understand the graphics processor stuff more because I am doing a 3d animation course atm and I've been taught all about it...but ****, when they showed the demonstration of the unreal 3 engine, and it all just looked like a really cool high res rendered movie with super realistic lighting and shaders...and then they pause the friggin thing and move around the frozen scene in REALTIME...I almost died...now it may all be super exaggerated, and I'm sure most of the games will never look that good, but still...

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Guys?

I'm not sure why I'd want the PS3.

Let's take it point by point, shall we?

Games: Rockstar's been sharing the love recently, and there's no reason to think they won't keep it that way with the 360. Square's leaping on the 360 bandwagon too, with the Final Fantasy series, and maybe a next-gen Kingdom Heats too. PS3's not going to get any Zelda/Mario/Samus action, of course. The only series I'd really miss would be Katamari Damacy, and that's assuming that it sticks with Sony. There's no support at all for that assumption, as far as I can see.

Graphics: They'll probably be better than the 360's, but how much? Enough to sell me another system? I doubt it.

Online: I'm fine with playing Live only on weekends, and Nin's online will probably keep me satisfied too. If PS3 has free online 24/7, that would get me interested, but not interested enough to buy Sony's spiffy box.

Gameplay: Think it's too early to say anything conclusive about gameplay? Yeah, me too. That doesn't keep the PS3 controller from looking like a craptacular piece of hardware though.

Backwards Compatibility: I've already got a PS2. I don't really need to go back any further than that - and even if you do, PS2's got you covered.

Other Features: Microsoft pretty much beats them in the "pretending the console is a computer" features. ****, the next Box is even going to be compatible with a USB keyboard and mouse. Nin's going to have their whole library of console games up to the N64 available, and it's quite a collection.

Summary: No major exclusives, no major graphics improvements over 360, no major online improvements over 360 or Revolution, ****ty controller, backwards compatibility is largely unnecessary and Microsoft's console will make a better computer substitute. Why bother?

And to top it all off, Microsoft's console is going to be released months earlier. It's out months before the PS3 and is at least as good? Deal.

Unless Sony turns up something pretty **** impressive, I'll continue to be pretty **** unimpressed.

SuperMajinLink 287

Smash Lord
What I don't understand is why they changed the design of the controller? Why mess with something that works, if it's not broken, don't try to screw with it, keep it the way it is. I was thinking of buying the PS3 over the Revolution but after seeing the new design of the controller, which sucks by the way, and the extra peripherals that aren't really needed, I think I'll go with the Revolution.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Probably because the first one was touted as being Halo on PS. It was just a mediocre shooter.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
I don't care how shitty Killzone 1 was--all I know is that everyone I've talked to has called the Killzone 2 trailer the best game they've seen featured so far at e3 (including me).

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
"The requested site is unavailable or cannot be found"

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Of course the action is heavily scripted, that doesn't chang ethe fact that graphically it would look like that in game--not dissimilar to cutscenes in games such as RE4 or MGS.

There has been lots of debate over it, but all the major media outlets are saying it's real-time.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Um..as much as I hate to admit it....that has been confirmed by Sony to be real-time.

And damm it looks good.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Tech-demos are in real-time, but they have all the effing processing power showing what the system can do. Remember the tech-demos for Xbox, PS2 and Cube? Their graphics didn't get there.

Confirmed by Sony, too? That's worth jack **** to me, as is 2.18 teraflops of processing power.

B0r3d*m Alien

BRoomer
BRoomer
Trying to contact my alien associates so they can
PS3 is winning me over now.

Technology-wise- It seems "Cell" is one very powerful bugger. From what I've seen (Killzone 2 and the Getaway 2 city demo) it has the best graphics outta the 3 next gen consoles.

Console-appearance-wise (>_<)- It looks the same size as PS2, which is a good thing. The controller...some say it looks bad..others may like it. I personally don't mind how it looks since the button layout is the same.

Games- I must say I'm a fan of most of the PS titles...MGS (whether you consider it PS exclusive or not I don't care), Final Fantasy, Devil May Cry, etc..To me these games are rivaled ONLY by the Nintendo titles, but even those have started losing their luster to me.

Online- I've got a great PC..oh I love you I love you I love you..muah!...To me online play from a console is a bit ridiculous because PC can do it all without subcriptions if you want to play multiplayer with other people in the world (this of course excludes most MMORPGs..but that changed thanks to Guild Wars!)
More importantly PC is the only "system that plays games" where you can upgrade it yourself just as long as you have the parts.

To me, that's where the future of gaming is. Think about it. Those graphics for the new game consoles are awesome...but I've already seen them..where? On PC. Games like Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 showcased great graphics and life-like physics.

But I'm getting too ahead of myself...

All in all PC..errr PS3 is my favorite new game console right now...
drool...can't wait till MGS4
BA out..

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, check IGN's PS3 site. The killzone video (well it wowed me when I saw it) has all but been confirmed to be "fake", created by a rendering company and being displayed on the PS3.

Does anyone else agree with me that the PS3 is the ugliest console design in recent years? And don't even get me started on the controller.

Malice

Smash Apprentice
I honestly think the PS3 itself sucks, the controller sucks, but the games on the other hand look GREAT. Killzone 2, Killing Day, and a bunch of other crap I can't remember. I doubt I'll buy it though, I'll be getting the X360 (PGR 3, Ghost Recon 3, Gears of War, Condemned, Dark Sector, and QUAKE IV, need I say more) and the Rev.

But if Killzone 2 looks ANYTHING close to the demo, I may have to consider getting PS3 just for that... Also, there was some FPS for PS3 with hundreds of units on screen, I think it was by those who made Ratchet and Clank for PS2... Looked pretty good...

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Originally posted by Giygas
Yeah, check IGN's PS3 site. The killzone video (well it wowed me when I saw it) has all but been confirmed to be "fake", created by a rendering company and being displayed on the PS3.

Does anyone else agree with me that the PS3 is the ugliest console design in recent years? And don't even get me started on the controller.
Party over here (I agree).

Malice, do you remember Killzone 1? It was horrible. The graphics can be as **** pretty as they want, but if the gameplay doesn't change...

I disagree with people who say Xbox and PS2 are the same. They recieve entirely different games (except from 3rd parties... those are usually the same). The reason I disagree with people on this is because this gen, after owning all 3 consoles, I found out who I wanted to follow the most. Microsoft. Sure, Sony has a couple games out, but I really only intend on buying DDR Extreme, Okami and Final Fantasy XII (if it even comes out this year/for PS2...) this year. My Xbox buy list is much larger, and much different. Compare the two games I own for PS2 (sold the rest) to the 8 I own for Xbox. I've had the Xbox about 9 months and the PS2 since June 2003. Looking at 360, I see six LAUNCH games I want, and 5 other games coming out within a year of launch I'd love to have. What do I see on PS3 so far? Unreal Tournament 2007, and Xbox 360 is getting that. Don't like DMC. Don't like MGS. Don't like Jak/Ratchet. Etc.

I was disappointed how Sony didn't say anything about their online plans (atleast as far as I heard). PS2 Online is atrocious, and even Nintendo is going online this year with what will probably be better than PS2's online. From what I've heard, Sony still isn't going to be that huge on the online thing. Yeah, it'll be there like it was this gen, and it'll be about that supported by developers as well. Then there's Microsoft, who is requiring every game to be atleast Live Aware.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Anyone else think "Terminator" while seeing the PS3 demo at E3?

"We can now see everything on the planet earth, nothing is hidden."

"You can play golf anywhere in the world, on any course you want."

"The PS3 has A.I. that actually grows and develops on its own while you play the game."

I was just waiting for the PS3 "helper robot" with built in machine guns and anti-aircraft missiles. Looks like it's time to clean out the ol' bombshelter before the end of the world.

Top Bottom