• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing Ganondorf in Brawl+ and How to Continue Murdering People

goodoldganon

Smash Champion

An In-depth Guide to Ganondorf in Brawl+ and How to Continue Murdering People

Table of Contents

• Updates
  • Videos
  • What's Changed?
  • Moves
  • Tips and Strategies
  • Matchups

UPDATES

Update 1: Initial Version 4/15/2009
Update 2: Spelling/Grammatical Fixes. Added Setups section 4/17/09
Update 3: Updated Info on the Murder Choke and Wizards Kick as well as new strategies for approaching and edgeguarding. 5/22/09
Update 4: Updated to 7.0 Gold Release and added KO percents 4/19/10

VIDEOS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbZZuOyIHl8&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acmpaKEIKe0&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhskzaVP-qI&feature=channel_page
He has a few clips in here.

What's Changed?

In Original Brawl Ganondorf was considered one of the worst characters in the game, typically barely beating Captain Falcon out on the tier lists. His laggy attacks, slow speed, and difficulties with pressure prevented Ganondorf from truly shining in Original Brawl. Then comes Brawl+

In Brawl+ Ganon gained a lot of buffs, mainly just from the modifications to the games engine. Ganondorf has gained new approach options with auto l-canceling, hit stun has provided him with DEVASTATING combos, dash dancing and momentum to mix up his approaches (especially with the Murder Choke), and a few minor tweaks to his moveset have provided Ganondorf with the buffs he needed to truly shine as The King of Evil!

Here are a list of things Ganondorf is good at in Brawl+

Pros:
  • Incredibly Strong, undecayable moves keep his hits with lots of percentage and knockback
  • Heavy
  • Thunderstorming
  • Tech chase game with the Murder Choke as well as the combos it sets up.
  • An amazing edgeguarding game
  • A great punishment character

Cons
  • Has trouble with pressure. Characters can pressure harder in Brawl+ too.
  • Slow and easy to combo
  • Huge, tallest character in the game
  • Has trouble against projectiles

Pressure and projectiles are Ganondorf's worst enemies, but if you can catch an opponent in your grasp, Ganondorf makes sure it counts.

Moves

In the interest of time right now I'm only going to cover moves that have changed since Original Brawl or have new applications.

Jab: Lightning Fist
The only difference between this move now and Original Brawl is that the Brawl+ version has been sped up.This move is a good out of shield option allowing Ganondorf to get some extra space. Also, it is a guaranteed follow-up on the ENTIRE cast after a Murder Choke, allowing Ganondorf to set up an edge guard, something he excels at. Lastly, it is a decent approach when mixed with his F-air (Crotch Punch). Overall, with such a simple speed change, Ganondorf has received a very valuable assest to his moveset.

D-Tilt: ****in' Up Your Shins
This move hasn't necessarily been reworked, but I feel I need to mention two changes to Brawl+ that make this move superior then it was before. The D-tilt has good distance and pokes low making it a decent approach option. Since you can cancel dashes in Brawl+ by pressing down on the control stick, Ganondorf can use the D-tilt as another approach move to poke shields. If you can read techs properly after a D-throw or Choke the D-tilt is a pretty solid aerial combo starter. Though there will usually be better options, mixing things up never hurts.

U-Air: Acro(batic) Murder
U-Air still retains it's strong anti-air properties. The only thing worth mentioning about this move is it is still a good aerial finisher when you can't connect with F-air. Also, RAR-ing and hitting with the tips of his foot make it a VERY formidable edgeguarding tool. In Brawl+ you can also ledge cancel aerials. Ledge canceling is the act of retaining your momentum when you land from aerials.

For Dorf he can now ledge cancel his aerials. Though each aerial is great when canceled I make special not of Ganondorf's U-air due to the semi-spike angle on the tip. Though it takes a lot of practice you can get good enough to run towards an edge, RAR an U-air, ledge cancel as the tip is hitting the edge, fall of the edge, and immediately throw out another U-air. It's a **** flash and very effective edge guard tool.

F-Air: The Crotch Punch
The F-air currently has a 40% Aerial Lag Reduction (ALR) as well as a larger sweetspot allowing for it to be a BRUTAL aerial finisher. Use it as Ganon's primary aerial approach move and use the jab with it if the opponent shields. The Crotch Punch is a valuable tool in any Brawl+ Ganon's toolset. I wouldn't go as far as to say spam it, there is downtime between landing it and connecting with a jab, but it is a very solid move that should be used liberally. The sweetspot hit now has a darkness element to add a certain ****** factor to our favorite Gerudo as well as help newer Dorf players learn how to place the F-air.

D-Air: Thunderstomp/Thundertits/Thunderbeard
Once again, not much new to this move in Brawl+. It is much harder to auto cancel when you play on a lower buffer, so I suggest staying on the 10 buffer for new Brawl+ers. With momentum it is a more viable approach tactic and the move has sick stun on it. The Thunderstomp sets up into many of Ganon's aerial finishers and can be chained together very effectively. I have been able to chain 2 Thunderstomps, read the tech, hit a 3rd one, and then connect with an aerial finisher. Don't get predictable with the Thunderstomp but always be on your toes to use it as a setup for a combo starter or even a kill move.

Specials

Side-B: Murder Choke

After much deliberation the WBR decided to remove all of Ganon's guaranteed follow ups after a murder choke (except for Jab). Though jab is the safe way to build damage, but to really master Ganondorf you will need to master tech reading after a choke or D-throw. You are just gonna have to be a fast thinker and practice a lot. I can not give you really any tips on how to be a good tech chaser.

Something else worth mentioning.

Ganon's aerial murder choke gets a very strange but awesome boost from momentum. He'll fly you forward in true warlock style and brutally slam you into the pavement, so to speak.

What this changes most though is his ability to Ganoncide! On an equal level offstage, with an opponent onstage, Ganon will Not take his opponent down unless he's far enough away, farther than in vBrawl. But this isn't all bad news. That itself is a bit trivial compared to what he attains, which isn't Huge but immensely awesome.

Ganondorf can Ganoncide an opponent when they're on the edge. What's so different about that, you say? Well, he can be onstage too now. He's got a decent birth of room to do this if the opponent doesn't realize what could go down, and short characters are more difficult to target with this, but it's absolutely possible.
To build upon that, the Murder Choke is a slighly safer recovery tool now as well. You do not run the risk of someone just jumping into your hands to take both of you down for to your doom. Ganondorf can get the forward momentum he needs to propel him and his opponent BACK onto the stage.

Down-B: Wizard Kick
The Wizard Kick has received a power buff in Brawl+. The Wizard Kick now makes for an excellent spot dodge, shield roll, and tech punisher...figuring of course you can predict your opponent. If you are good at predicting your opponents tech roll, a pretty pimp finisher is: Murder Choke -> Wizard Kick. Certainly not Ganon's strongest finisher but a nasty one still. Also, the Wizard Kick now spikes on both aerial hitboxes, making it one of, if not the strongest base knockback spike in the game.

I should mention it has low growth. That means that it will take the move a while till it will outright kill a person without a thing they can do. Currently, when you try and Wiz Kick spike someone they will travel down till about the end of the Kicks distance. If the opponent didn't meteor cancel in time, you can then footstool them to a timely death. If they do meteor cancel you'll probably eat part of their Up-b. These are things you'll have to consider when going for the spike.

Also, an aerial Wizard's Kick will reset your double jump, giving Ganon good options when returning to the stage and also making him tricky to edgeguard. A missed gimp could result in a stock loss to the Wiz Kick spike.

Up-B: Shadow Shoryuken
The auto-snap ledges from Brawl have been removed in Brawl+ so Ganondorf needs to space his recovery just right. One thing many people did not see much of in Original Brawl was the Purple Uppercut attached to the ending of his Up-B. This move has a very large hitbox and priority making it tough to edgeguard Ganondorf on the stage. It can punch people through the stage! Combine that with Ganondorf's good ledge grabbing range, and it gives Ganondorf some good Anti-gimp tools.

Tips and Strategies

Ganondorf has very visible strengths and very visible weaknesses. As with any fighting game, Ganondorf needs to play to his strengths while leaving little room for people to exploit his weaknesses. Ganon capitalizes on mistakes likes it's no ones business. When Ganondorf gets his hands on an opponent (literally when we talk about the Murder Choke) he can lay the hurt on quite thick. So let's discuss how Ganondorf approaches, edgeguarding, his setups, and playing defense.

Approaching

Ganondorf isn't a master of approaching but when he makes a successful approach he can really lay the hurt on his opponents. Ganondorf's best ground approaches are the D-tilt, dash attack, and Wizard's Kick. Dash cancelled jabs aren't half bad either, but Ganondorf actually moves FASTER in the air then he does on the ground so it's not the best approach he has. Use the D-tilt in conjunction with dash canceling in order to strike low and quick. The D-tilt is also a very solid set-up for his aerial game. The Wizard's Kick has a strange hitbox that hits well above Ganon's dark kick making it tough to jump over. That being said, it is very unsafe on shields and should be used cautiously.

The Dash attack is a pretty self explanatory approach. You can buffer instant dash attacks if you press the C-stick down to attack. Otherwise, nothing new here. Last but not least, the new Wizard's Kick. The Wizard's Kick has a strange hitbox that hits well above Ganon's dark kick making it tough to jump over. That being said, it is very unsafe on shields and should be used cautiously. Use it mostly as an approach to punish rollers.

ALR and momentum have really helped Ganon's aerial approach options, especially the F-air. The F-air with it lower lag makes it Ganondorf's best aerial approach. Hitting the shield is quite safe against a large chunk of the cast thanks to its extreme pushback and shield stun. You can also lead right into a few lightning jabs to stop people from spot dodging in hopes of punishing your unsuccessful F-air approach.

Edgeguarding

Though you wouldn't guess it at first sight, Ganondorf is a monster off the stage. Ganondorf lacks any solid on-the stage edgeguards besides for his U-tilt, but that won't last long after you have landed it on an opponent once or twice. Unless the opponent botches their recovery, you will most likely be chasing your opponent off the stage.

Ganondorf's primary edgeguaring tools are his D-air, Up-air, F-air and Wiz Kick. Most of these moves are self explanatory, but I implore you to see exactly how far Ganondorf can jump thanks to his momentum. He can jump very far out to intercept his opponent. I won't cover the D-air, it hasn't changed since Original Brawl. I also won't cover the Up-air because I mentioned it's changes earlier. The only new moves added to Ganondorf's edgeguarding arsenal is the F-air and Wiz Kick. All that a new Brawl+ player needs to know is that the F-air is faster making it easier to use off the stage without fear of dying. I already discussed Wiz Kick spiking earlier, scroll up if you missed it.

Setups

For being so slow and cumbersome Ganondorf is a beast at comboing people. I would make an argument that Ganondorf is the best heavyweight at comboing, but that is not here or there. But how do we set-up Ganon's combos? Well that's why I'm here to help.

Ganondorf's D-tilt is his best tilt move used to set up combos. Sadly, it's a mediocre approach. Still it has decent range and pokes low not making entirely hopeless to hit with. You can tech chase with it, but it's almost always better to use the Wiz Kick. What the D-tilt is best at is setting up for Ganon's impressive aerial game. The D-tilt has good IASA frames (I believe) so you should be able to jump out of it and into the aerial domination.

Ganondorf's grab is still atrocious thanks to it's terrible range, but if you can grab someone use the D-throw. At low percentages you can tech chase a Thunderstorm or sometimes a Murder Choke with it. When people get into the middle percentages you can follow it up with a F-air or U-air. Once people get into the higher percentages the D-throw won't combo into anything, unless it's on a fast faller.

The Thunderstorm is still a powerful aerial and has a very good amount of hitstun on it. You should be able to combo almost any aerial into it. Auto-canceled D-airs are still a HUGE part of Ganon's game so play on a buffer that you feel most comfortable with.

And of course there is the Murder Choke. It doesn't have any guaranteed setups anymore, so you just gotta be able to predict where your opponent is going. If they tech in place they eat a jab, d-tilt, or F-tilt. I have even gotten F-smashes before! Still, good players will never tech in front of Ganon. If they tech behind you then you can F-tilt or D-smash. In front leads to a dash attack or Wizard's Kick.

Overall, Ganondorf's set ups are tough to connect with, but connecting with one can usually mean combos upwards of 60-70%. Also it helps turn the tide of pressure, something Ganondorf needs to keep in his favor. Ganondorf needs to be able to keep pressure on the opponent all while predicting their next move. It's tough but each hit he connects with is like getting hit by a bus full of fat kids...eating cake.

KO Percentages

Here are the KO percentages for D-air and F-air on the starters. No DI and from the middle of the stage everytime. DK is the average heavy, Lucario the average medium, and Puff the average Light.

http://yfrog.com/3wkopercentsj

cman

Smash Ace
Dair->Usmash->Uair->Fair. Enough said.

I don't care if it can be di'ed. No one likes you anyway :laugh:

Sterowent

Smash Ace
Something else worth mentioning.

Ganon's aerial murder choke gets a very strange but awesome boost from momentum. He'll fly you forward in true warlock style and brutally slam you into the pavement, so to speak.

What this changes most though is his ability to Ganoncide! On an equal level offstage, with an opponent onstage, ganon will Not take his opponent down unless he's far enough away, farther than in vBrawl.
But this isn't all bad news. That itself is a bit trivial compared to what he attains, which isn't Huge but immensely awesome.

Ganondorf can ganoncide an opponent when they're on the edge. What's so different about that, you say?

Well, he can be onstage too now. He's got a decent birth of room to do this if the opponent doesn't realize what could go down, and short characters are more difficult to target with this, but it's absolutely possible.

Hell, try it on the highest part of Luigi's mansion, or on one of the floating platforms there if you've got deadlands. If they're on the edge, he'll take them to the abyss along side himself.

It's absolutely one of the most gratifying things you'll ever do.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
^^ this has been known for a long time. There is even a way where if you space it just right ganon will stay on the stage and throw his opponent to his death. A one hit ko non suicide move.

Now THATS the most gratifying thing you'll ever do.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Nice reminder Sterowent, I added it to the Murder Choke section. I'm gonna finish defensive options tomorrow and hopefully we can begin our first matchup discussion tomorrow.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
??

I'm pretty sure that Brawl+ Ganon with his huge momentum-boosted jumps can land more from a down throw than melee Ganon ever could, including dairs.

D-throw to Fair for the kill? Check.

I'd like to see Meleedorf do that.

IC3R

Smash Lord
??

I'm pretty sure that Brawl+ Ganon with his huge momentum-boosted jumps can land more from a down throw than melee Ganon ever could, including dairs.

Gogo Action Replay! :D

<3 Ganon+'s U-Tilt

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I'm thinking the first matchup we should discuss is Capt Falcon. Get a little father son action in here. Thoughts? Opinions? I'll open it for debate tomorrow.

Stop trolling the thread Nintendevil. The Ganondorf we have is what we got. Don't ask for buffs or changes. I specifically mentioned that in the forum rules.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
??

lmao you are so misinformed.

Dthrow > Fair isn't even a true combo in B+

Dthrow > almost anything is in Melee. (perhaps not fair but uthrow to fair is)

LuLLo

Smash Ace
I'm thinking the first matchup we should discuss is Capt Falcon. Get a little father son action in here. Thoughts? Opinions? I'll open it for debate tomorrow.

Stop trolling the thread Nintendevil. The Ganondorf we have is what we got. Don't ask for buffs or changes. I specifically mentioned that in the forum rules.
Nice to see how Ganon has improved, thinking about making him a secondary :).
Also, maybe it isn't a good idea to discuss Falcon first, since I THINK it will be a huge advantage for Falcon, and the matchup could be SO devastating for Ganon that no one wants to main him and goes Falcon :p.
But seriously...
I don't have much experience against Ganon, but I do know this: he get's combos thrown at him he's never seen before. Imo Falcon ***** Ganon, since Falcon can dodge almost anything Ganon has with ease because of his wonderfull mobility, speed and ofcourse dash-dance options. Ofcourse, we're not going to dodge all of it, because you can mindgame us, but Falcon has the stuff it takes to completely wreck Ganon.
Get grabbed, and you're up to 40%, get N-aired at 40% and you're pretty much finished. The nice thing about Falcon's combos is that we can land them with ease on Ganon, since he's so big, hasn't got projectiles and good mobility to pressure and has a harder time to combo (and I think even kill) Falcon. This matchup will be 70-30 for Falcon, but that's a rough guess and maybe a bit biased.

:034:

Smash Hero
Ganondorf is so awesome in Brawl+, mostly because practically everything that made him good (**** dair, uair gimps and Murder Choke) were preserved, if not made better... Fair is finally the move I've always dreamed of.

As for names of the moves:

Jab: "Palm yo face off"
Dtilt: "****in' up your shins"
Uair: "****"

Oh by the way - on heavies, dair can easily chain 3 times. The first one will usually barely lift them off the ground, enabling you to do another, hitting them higher up, then hitting them again... Read their tech afterwards and proceed ownage.

Oh, nair is much more useful now. It can actually work a little bit as a weird approach move, or a little bit in combo's (not a whole lot).

Ganondorf is a great character, but he still suffers from basic problems. He's probably around mid-low ish right now, since some of his moves are still useless while they shouldn't be (although people are working on that) and dealing with pressure and projectiles is still hard on him. But I can definitely see him rising back to his rightful place in mid tier.

Seikishidan Soru

Smash Journeyman
What are some good options after an aerial side+B ? Momentum leaves the opponent behind a backturned Ganondorf, and it seems to me that I'm at frame disadvantage in that situation. I have more success when trying a defensive maneuver right after landing the choke than when trying to keep pressuring immediately.

There is even a way where if you space it just right ganon will stay on the stage and throw his opponent to his death. A one hit ko non suicide move.
Maybe I did something wrong, but I do remember seeing opponents recover from that.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Btw, some names for moves:

D-tilt: Shin Breaker
Jab: Face Obliterator
U-air: Acro(batic) Murder
Up-b: Shadow ****
F-air: Slam Deluxe (it's what we call it..)

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Acro(batic) Murder made me laugh and I added it. Depending on how my next class goes I might write the defensive section soon or this evening.

What are some good options after an aerial side+B ? Momentum leaves the opponent behind a backturned Ganondorf, and it seems to me that I'm at frame disadvantage in that situation. I have more success when trying a defensive maneuver right after landing the choke than when trying to keep pressuring immediately.
About the Aerial Side-B: It certainly isn't Ganon's most advantageous position, but I don't believe he is at a frame disadvantage, even if the person techs it. If the person techs it Ganondorf's best options are a pivot grab, jab, or try and counterattack their next move. Most people try and throw out their fastest move if they tech it, so do your best to read it. If they don't tech it, read their wakeup. If they do a get-up attack, Thunderstomp. Go for a Murder Choke if they roll.

luvs2pluck

Smash Apprentice
one interesting approach that my roommate does to me sometimes as a mix-up (especially if Im zair spacing with samus) is to fullhop double jump then fastfall fair.

with ganons side momentum, his really fast fastfall speed, and the fact that the fair stays out so long, it is just a wall of **** coming at you. And with the 40% alr on fair its not that easy to punish. Obviously don't spam it as an approach, but try it out as a mix up definitely.

luvs2pluck

Smash Apprentice
Isn't murder choke still techable?
currently it is, but the back room is going to release a set soon where ganon has virtually no lag after the choke, so he has a guaranteed jab/ d-tilt on everyone.

Ive played a lot of captain falcon vs ganondorf with my roommate (using both characters) so I have some experience on it:

• Even though I don't like calling them clones (and I doubt many of you do), it is very important for this matchup as basically all of cfs moves (except fair, sideb, and utilt) are the same as ganondorfs. Obviously some other moves are different, but they really arent used that much. Anywho, the big difference is that ganons moves always out-prioritize cf's moves, at the price of speed.
  • This means you can just chill and wait for him to approach. Be as defensive as possible, only use autocancel ariels like dair and uair, then follow with jabs, if cf trys to come at you with anything.
  • A stomp will beat any of cf's favorite approaches, such as nair, uair, fair, sideb, or dash attack. The best thing about this matchup for ganon (imo) is how bad cf's grab range is. If he gets smart and runs in and cc shields your dair, you will have enough time to start jabbing and the dair will have pushed him out of shield grab range.
  • Dont roll, youll eat a sideb then uairs and the knee. Dont shield much either, as bad as his grab range is its not worth getting grabbed. Ganondorf is one of the easiest characters for captain falcon to **** out of a dthrow. Replace shielding with your jab.
  • Use uair to edgeguard, as awesome as fair and dair are, they are quite humpable.
And that's all I have to say about that.

Finns7

Smash Ace
Ganon > Falcon

Falcon has no priority, Ill get into more detail later but in general

All of ganons moves are powerful

Ganon can combo and finish with those moves

gg's

stRIP

Smash Ace
herro ^-^

can some1 say me where i can download the latest update of Brawl+ for PAL!!

anyway: to balance Ganon in Brawl+, maybe he should get a better recovery??

Like in Melee, DownB gives him the rejump back

edit: oh..and...give UpB hitstun ._.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Quick question.... do we even want ganon to be that good?
Or at least that aspect of his game?

I dont want all ganondorfs to play the same. To me looking for the "skyride" combo and little else.
I mean... after looking at it pmultiple times.... I dont even thing that would be fun to pull off time after time after time. It seems like it would eventually get boring to **** people that way.

(Except for that last dunk. That was pure sex)

Revven

FrankerZ
Well, Zenjamin, Chibo wasn't teching the Dair that would lead into the aerial murder choke, I don't even think he was trying to jump much less DI the Dair. To be fair, I don't think that combo is as realistic as it looks.

luvs2pluck

Smash Apprentice
Well, Zenjamin, Chibo wasn't teching the Dair that would lead into the aerial murder choke, I don't even think he was trying to jump much less DI the Dair. To be fair, I don't think that combo is as realistic as it looks.
Umm Im pretty sure you cant tech a grounded dair. Chibo could have teched a few when Vex was building damage with stomps, but the skyride combo is just the grounded dair > to aerial choke. And while the stomp is indeed di-able, you can only move a bit left or right after launching vertically. The stomp still has amazing hitstun, and even with perfect sdi it would be easy to land a choke.

I do agree it looked like he wasnt trying to jump, I don't think the stomp has THAT much hitstun...

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Wow... the momentum code loves choke a lot. That last stock was made of pure win.
But really, Chibo needed to tech more when he was getting aerial stomped.

Revven

FrankerZ
Umm Im pretty sure you cant tech a grounded dair. Chibo could have teched a few when Vex was building damage with stomps, but the skyride combo is just the grounded dair > to aerial choke. And while the stomp is indeed di-able, you can only move a bit left or right after launching vertically. The stomp still has amazing hitstun, and even with perfect sdi it would be easy to land a choke.

I do agree it looked like he wasnt trying to jump, I don't think the stomp has THAT much hitstun...
The thing is, he could have teched the VERY LAST Dair on all of those stocks and he didn't, and it's really easy to tech now (just hold the darned button down when you're near the ground). SO, no johns.

ZeonStar

Smash Ace
The thing is, he could have teched the VERY LAST Dair on all of those stocks and he didn't, and it's really easy to tech now (just hold the darned button down when you're near the ground). SO, no johns.
Yep, just know that Ganon is going to be a character where if you **** up against him, You eat a face full of death.

Top Bottom