• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Playing against Jigglypuff on FG

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
Now before I begin, I'm not saying I'm the best Jigglypuff in the world, but I'm pretty dang good.

The reason I post this is because earlier today I was playing Jiggs on FG and I was lighting people up with rests left and right. I'd play a guy, beat him, he'd try to counterpick, I'd beat him again, and he would keep switching and losing and eventually leave. I think in a course of about 30-45 minutes I had went through like 6 or 7 players, some would leave after one game.

So it got me thinking, is Jigglypuff THAT big of an insult that people would leave after one game?

I don't personally come up against many Jigglypuff's online. I've ran into a few who are quite better than me and many who seem to do it just for fun, which is why I do it, cause it's fun.

But what do you guys think? Is it an insult? Are people just salty cause they don't know how good Jigglypuff can be? Or what?

RyeSSB

Smash Cadet
NNID
RyanTheDrummer
3DS FC
3652-0543-2675
People on For Glory might not know the matchup, thus not knowing what to do. They probably get frustrated with fighting Jigglypuffs.

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
People on For Glory might not know the matchup, thus not knowing what to do. They probably get frustrated with fighting Jigglypuffs.
I thought this was the main reason, but if I were them I would want to learn this MU, I must just have more patience than I thought lol.

Lots of inexperienced players think that Jigglypuff is a joke character. By the way, this should prob be in the Jiggs subforum :p
I thought about putting it there but I feel like this is more of an online thing.

Last edited:

BSME/misc

Smash Ace
NNID
jjp702
3DS FC
1521-3685-4649
It's the same with any under-represented character like Duck Hunt, Olimar, etc. Once you clown on these people using these characters they get mad and spout insults/leave after the first game.

It's the main reason I'll play with Bowser or Yoshi first just to show the other person there's more than one way to play

abx

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure how you play Jiggly, but being pummeled endlessly by obscene aerial hitboxes can be very annoying. Even the slightest lag is easily punished and hitting a good jiggly player is difficult. Jiggly has her flaws but it takes something to exploit these thoroughly.
Also, being burned by rest is very annoying. I assume that your opponents left enough openings for that attack. Once that's the case it's a darn cheap move.

I'm not sure if those who stayed for a few rematches were actually "salty".

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
I'm not sure how you play Jiggly, but being pummeled endlessly by obscene aerial hitboxes can be very annoying. Even the slightest lag is easily punished and hitting a good jiggly player is difficult. Jiggly has her flaws but it takes something to exploit these thoroughly.
Also, being burned by rest is very annoying. I assume that your opponents left enough openings for that attack. Once that's the case it's a darn cheap move.

I'm not sure if those who stayed for a few rematches were actually "salty".
Well the only reason I say they were salty was that they went from taking me lightly to being really aggressive, their play style in general just seemed way to desprate, which left a bunch of openings for rests.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
It's the same with any under-represented character like Duck Hunt, Olimar, etc. Once you clown on these people using these characters they get mad and spout insults/leave after the first game.
While I agree that people easily get upset about losing to those two characters, I don't think it is because of under representation online. I think it is because people perceive those two characters as "spammers" and "cheap" simply due to their playstyles revolving heavily around zoning and projectiles, which many players don't know how to deal with.

Well the only reason I say they were salty was that they went from taking me lightly to being really aggressive, their play style in general just seemed way to desprate, which left a bunch of openings for rests.
Based off your description, it was likely either salt or the realization of how dangerous Jigglypuff can be, possibly a combination of both. Either can cause a previously disrespectful player to become overly aggressive, and they are unknowingly making it easier for you to land rest.

Don't take it personally. If you are good with a character, there are going to be people out there who are going to get annoyed if you beat them regardless of who you play and how you play them, and unfortunately, certain characters get less love than others.

Last edited:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Now before I begin, I'm not saying I'm the best Jigglypuff in the world, but I'm pretty dang good.

The reason I post this is because earlier today I was playing Jiggs on FG and I was lighting people up with rests left and right. I'd play a guy, beat him, he'd try to counterpick, I'd beat him again, and he would keep switching and losing and eventually leave. I think in a course of about 30-45 minutes I had went through like 6 or 7 players, some would leave after one game.

So it got me thinking, is Jigglypuff THAT big of an insult that people would leave after one game?

I don't personally come up against many Jigglypuff's online. I've ran into a few who are quite better than me and many who seem to do it just for fun, which is why I do it, cause it's fun.

But what do you guys think? Is it an insult? Are people just salty cause they don't know how good Jigglypuff can be? Or what?
Alright before i begin, you might want to pull your head out of your ass so you can hear me.

Regardless of who you're playing as people will often switch after one game. there's many reasons, maybe they want to play an easy match and rack up their W/L ratio so they can feel better than everyone else like you do. Or maybe they want to search for a different matchup to learn. Maybe you're connection isn't as good as theirs and they want to find someones who is. Or maybe they just have a life and only wanted to play a game or two before work and it has nothing to do with you.

6-7 players isn't enough to build any sort of conclusion off of, The first 6 times i opened a coke bottle i won another free coke, this doesn't mean coke bottles like me and are trying to be with me forever.

But personally i play falcon/sheik. Most players leave after a short amount of games. Falcon dittos usually stick around forever though. I assume most japanese players leave because they aren't impressed with my connection, as that happens a lot and is understandable. I stick around in puff matchups because it's not a matchup i can try out often.

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
Alright before i begin, you might want to pull your head out of your *** so you can hear me.

Regardless of who you're playing as people will often switch after one game. there's many reasons, maybe they want to play an easy match and rack up their W/L ratio so they can feel better than everyone else like you do. Or maybe they want to search for a different matchup to learn. Maybe you're connection isn't as good as theirs and they want to find someones who is. Or maybe they just have a life and only wanted to play a game or two before work and it has nothing to do with you.

6-7 players isn't enough to build any sort of conclusion off of, The first 6 times i opened a coke bottle i won another free coke, this doesn't mean coke bottles like me and are trying to be with me forever.

But personally i play falcon/sheik. Most players leave after a short amount of games. Falcon dittos usually stick around forever though. I assume most japanese players leave because they aren't impressed with my connection, as that happens a lot and is understandable. I stick around in puff matchups because it's not a matchup i can try out often.
Are you having a bad day or are you just that big of an ***? Let me throw in a plot twist for ya, this is hardly the first time this has happened. Believe it or not I didn't just start using Jiggs today. You can get a general idea of how people play when they're aggravated, usually when they play over aggressive. I decided to use today as an example because well, it was the most recent. Next time I'll try to be more specific for people with bloated egos like yourself who feel the need to compensate for something by trying to be a **** to someone on an online forum. Other than that, thanks for your last paragraph that was actual imput contributing to the topic.

FreshYarn43

Smash Rookie
NNID
beeftaco
I had the EXACT same problem today, it was so annoying. Just because I was winning with my sick puff skills doesn't mean they should get whiny about it. Sheesh

Meek Moths

Smash Ace

wow you are cringe

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Geez, why are you peeps being so aggressive towards OP?

Anyways, you might be somewhat right and somewhat wrong, it's pretty hard to tell since there's not much interaction on for glory. But you are right about one thing, with time it gets pretty easy to tell someone going from a calculating playstyle to an over agressive and dumbed down one. I do think people get extremely annoyed at Jiggly because well, she just flies all over throwing around aerials and lingering hitboxes all over the place, it seems pretty annoying.

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
In a game where power-kills take way too long without risking your own defenses (barring a few moves) Jigglypuff is innately bothersome for new players, especially those who weren't used to the meta in old games in the series. She gimps, it comes naturally, even new players realize they have so many jumps to use, they may as well hop off and get a kick in, then once they see that it works, they become naturals at it. Smash 4 (and especially for glory) can really spoil players by allowing recoveries far too often, so if you can get an early kill, or just any reliable kill at any point in a match, with only two lives, the opponent is at risk for salt overdose. Rest isn't that good in this game comparatively because there's no super safe way to do it that you really set up yourself, it's heavily opponent dependent, but the fact that it kills properly again will make a bad player ****ing upset; They'll think it's cheap just because you have a kill move and they did something ****ing stupid.

I think the issue I have most of the time is actually players knowing the matchup on FG and then the match going to time even though we're both focusing on weaving in and out of eachother's space. It's very frustrating considering that Sudden Death isn't played in tournament, and I believe the FG clock is 2 minutes too short if I remember correctly. I dunno, peeps are stupid, she's just good off-stage and that's a gift in this game, which can be terribly slow.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008

This may be a stupid thread to bump, but yes, I'm one of those dumb ****s that definitely gets wrecked by Jigglypuff/Purin on For Glory.

I also assume that just like those kinds of players, you want people of my skill level to commit suicide and/or sell their smash, cause indeed I have to go through waves of toxic players that just ruin my day at times. : P
Whenever they get a win on me or more, they always want to add up even more salt by switching to a low tier just to make sure I get even more angry and upset at myself. It's that kind of a world out there, and Jigglypuff/Purin is one of those characters that every single one of these kinds of people ALWAYS switch to just to insult you.

P.S. I just beat a Jigglypuff/Purin switcher from a Marth vs. Falco match (I'm a shameless Falco main and I lost) but then I switched to Meta Knight instead thinking the guy would still stick to using Marth. Thankfully I was patient enough from my prior experiences and managed to win that fight. The guy even left afterwards lol.

Last edited:

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
In a game where power-kills take way too long without risking your own defenses (barring a few moves) Jigglypuff is innately bothersome for new players, especially those who weren't used to the meta in old games in the series. She gimps, it comes naturally, even new players realize they have so many jumps to use, they may as well hop off and get a kick in, then once they see that it works, they become naturals at it. Smash 4 (and especially for glory) can really spoil players by allowing recoveries far too often, so if you can get an early kill, or just any reliable kill at any point in a match, with only two lives, the opponent is at risk for salt overdose. Rest isn't that good in this game comparatively because there's no super safe way to do it that you really set up yourself, it's heavily opponent dependent, but the fact that it kills properly again will make a bad player ****ing upset; They'll think it's cheap just because you have a kill move and they did something ****ing stupid.

I think the issue I have most of the time is actually players knowing the matchup on FG and then the match going to time even though we're both focusing on weaving in and out of eachother's space. It's very frustrating considering that Sudden Death isn't played in tournament, and I believe the FG clock is 2 minutes too short if I remember correctly. I dunno, peeps are stupid, she's just good off-stage and that's a gift in this game, which can be terribly slow.
Again, may be stupid of me to bump this thread, but you're right on that account. Jigglypuff/Purin is very frustrating to fight on that aspect.

However, due to me running into more dedicated players as opposed to the lower-leveled ones who are negatively stereotyped on the Wii U version's YouTube videos, a Jigglypuff/Purin pick is ALWAYS meant to guarantee salt. Most of the time when you run into a very toxic good player, they WILL pick her just to spite you and to make you feel even worse. So yes, it is meant to be an ultimate insult.

However, good news is that from what I've learned, you just need to be very patient and read the player's movement patterns.

The best way to fight against her is to use someone with effective-and-safe punish tools and to block her attacks properly. The last time I fought against one was using Meta Knight as aforementioned, and it was very easy to be patient and to use dash attack-into-followups and even land some Dimensional Cape/Mantle hits. You really have to see where they fly due to the character's immense horizontal air speed, and attack accordingly. Sometimes you can easily punish them for a bad Rest as well.
However, trying to block too much may warrant a shield break (especially vs. Rollout and/or Pound). Back aerial and down aerial are also very dangerous compared to her other three aerials, though neutral aerial is a solid "use on the fly" type of move akin to Yoshi's infamous neutral aerial as well.

Last edited:

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
If the Jiggs you are fighting is not using air dodge frequently you should always make them approach Imo. When a jiggs uses shenanigans, stay just at the edge out of range. Beating an intelligent Jiggs is beyond just patience. The hit box is always close to the hurt box. Pound, for me, is the x factor. Against efficient Jiggs its more about finding that chink in their armor. Everything is super tight in relation to their range. You should concentrate on how they close in and retreat, instead of how they attack. Horizontal movement in air is the key to their success. When you understand why they are winning or losing that battle you can capitalize. They are so light weight it just takes a good attack with high knockback to end the stock. When you become evasive and open their agression you will find the chink in their armor. It's more about setting up the proper moment to end the stock than just learning to pile on punishes. Good Jiggs players are also looking to pile on damage and execute either a gimp or a heavy read. Understanding this is why high caliber players crush Jiggs. Lacking understanding is why high caliber Jiggs mains can eat you alive. Jiggs is a chess player, much like other low tiers with awesome highlight reels. Abuse their movement and personal defensive quirks.

Spexx

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3149-5152-0626
I don't see many FG players that understand the neutral/adapting that well.

Whenever I play on FG, I usually can go ballistic with Puff because of this. A character that relies on reads against people with unchanging habits is pretty free, honestly.

However, due to me running into more dedicated players as opposed to the lower-leveled ones who are negatively stereotyped on the Wii U version's YouTube videos, a Jigglypuff/Purin pick is ALWAYS meant to guarantee salt. Most of the time when you run into a very toxic good player, they WILL pick her just to spite you and to make you feel even worse. So yes, it is meant to be an ultimate insult.
Usually if I meet a player that I beat with my higher-tiered characters, I'll switch to Puff to increase the challenge of the match for myself. I don't really intend it to be an insult, but that's just me.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
I don't see many FG players that understand the neutral/adapting that well.

Whenever I play on FG, I usually can go ballistic with Puff because of this. A character that relies on reads against people with unchanging habits is pretty free, honestly.

Usually if I meet a player that I beat with my higher-tiered characters, I'll switch to Puff to increase the challenge of the match for myself. I don't really intend it to be an insult, but that's just me.
Sorry, but I've ran into some very disrespectful players who will 100% teabag and taunt away at whenever you die. I myself have been struggling for A LONG LONG time to even play the game properly while trying very hard not to get triggered.

And yes, Jigglypuff/Purin players happen to be those kinds of players; they will always seem to enjoy doing **** just to merely piss you off and throw you off your game. For Glory is a mode of complete disrespect and ****-wagging of course. Honestly, my learning rate is very bad and thus I have to spend a lot of time getting bodied.

Last edited:
Top Bottom