• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Players can no longer taunt online, maybe at least with randoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Well, if this is true, then that is disappointing to hear. I always thought that the taunt limit in Smash 4 was the best of both worlds. It prevents taunt parties, but also keeps taunting in the game.

Also, Captain Falcon is literally unplayable online now.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yeah, this is kind of dumb. Taunting was a littke obnoxious sometimes but it is a feature of the game and a lot of people enjoyed friendly taunting. At least I have the Zard walk.
Well this is a dumber decision than random tripping. Online will just be boring now.
...Wait, are you trolling or serious?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Well this is a dumber decision than random tripping. Online will just be boring now.
Tripping was the worst thing that could happen to Smash. Why do you have such a stigma against this game? If you hate it so much, why don't you make a Reddit thread or whatever instead of *****ing about it on a website dedicated to it's discussion? These threads aren't discussion, they're just you complaining.

Anyway, not being able to taunt is both a blessing and a curse. It's bad because it's nice to taunt, and sometimes it can even be a show of respect to your opponent (like when they SD and you homie stock), but at the same time people have legit left smash because their opponent disrespects them with a taunt and they lose their ****. I guess the option of removing taunts from random is to prevent someone from disrespecting their opponent online.

Besides, you mean standard taunts. Other things like Dedede's crouch and the 'Zard walk are always going to be there. If anything, unofficial taunts are more fun.*

*Unless it's Palutena. Her side taunt ftw.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
...Wait, are you trolling or serious?
Random tripping was idiotic, but this is a whole new level of stupidity.

Many people on GameFAQs even claimed that the online, if not Smash Ultimate as a whole, went straight to 0/10.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Random tripping was idiotic, but this is a whole new level of stupidity.

Many people on GameFAQs even claimed that the online, if not Smash Ultimate as a whole, went straight to 0/10.
Yeah, they're trolling ZephyrZ ZephyrZ .

GameFAQ is full of bullcrap. Taunting is nothing. You're either overreacting ot trying to stir up flame, again, like almost all of your other threads.

No one here is going to take you seriously if you're going to call Smash a 0/10 because you can't taunt on randoms online.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I'll just have to t-bag then. Not like I didn't already hehe

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
No one here is going to take you seriously if you're going to call Smash a 0/10 because you can't taunt on randoms online.
I wouldn't rate this game a 0/10 myself, but other people feel like if they can't tell you to show them your moves, it really dampens the fun. And I agree with them.

Taunting is part of the game and it fells dull to not taunt.

You know what I mean when I told you to not to subscribe to Nintendo Switch online? This by itself isn't that big of a deal but it's indicated the amount of progress Nintendo is making.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I wouldn't rate this game a 0/10 myself, but other people feel like if they can't tell you to show them your moves, it really dampens the fun. And I agree with them.

Taunting is part of the game and it fells dull to not taunt.

You know what I mean when I told you to not to subscribe to Nintendo Switch online? This by itself isn't that big of a deal but it's indicated the amount of progress Nintendo is making.
No, I don't know what you mean, because all you've been doing on this forum is complaining about whatever you don't like and acting like a child. If you actually take taunting that seriously, you need to check your priorities. But considering the content of the threads you've been making (not to mention how many times you've reposted closed topics), I'm going to assume that you're just digging up anything you can throw at this game to make it look bad and to get people to not want to play it.

Obviously they're removing taunts because they want gameplay to be focused on actually playing. If you want Smash to be fun, play with friends, where you can taunt, or play locally. But in online randoms, you should be fighting. Sure, taunts are fun sometimes, but they were never meant to be a serious part of random online.

Besides, they probably removed this in the day 1 patch. If they didn't, they'll remove this feature soon. So calm down.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I am disappointed in the lack of taunts online, as I was actually thinking of playing some online Smash for the first time. Also, this nerfs Weegee.

However, at least King Dedede still has a taunt in his crouch.

Dedede, that's the name you should know.

Dedede, he's the king of the show!

You'll hollar an' hoot, he'll give Kirbeh the boot!

Dedede is tha one!

Dedede is tha oooonnnnnnne! Comin' at ya! Yeah!

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
No, I don't know what you mean, because all you've been doing on this forum is complaining about whatever you don't like and acting like a child. If you actually take taunting that seriously, you need to check your priorities. But considering the content of the threads you've been making (not to mention how many times you've reposted closed topics), I'm going to assume that you're just digging up anything you can throw at this game to make it look bad and to get people to not want to play it.

Obviously they're removing taunts because they want gameplay to be focused on actually playing. If you want Smash to be fun, play with friends, where you can taunt, or play locally. But in online randoms, you should be fighting. Sure, taunts are fun sometimes, but they were never meant to be a serious part of random online.

Besides, they probably removed this in the day 1 patch. If they didn't, they'll remove this feature soon. So calm down.
I must say it's more of constructive criticism that I have been doing to this game.

The lack of taunts isn't a massive big deal, but it demonstrates to me how many steps Nintendo is taking back. In addition, all Kirby mains (I'm not really one of them) can't easily lose their power.

I made this topic more an an announcement though, not to hate on the game.

Last edited:

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
Clearly meant to nerf Megaman. That down taunt as the match ended was my entire reason for being Megaman ;_;

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Then those people aren't very bright.
Tripping takes away control of your character for a moment which can put you at a disadvantage. Taunts don't affect gameplay in the slightest, and while they do add into the game's charm and personality, overreacting to their removal in online with random players is just scratching the bottom of the barrel for something to complain. It's not a problem worth making a fuss about.

The lack of taunts isn't a massive big deal,
Well this is a dumber decision than random tripping. Online will just be boring now
Kudos for contradicting yourself so quickly in the same day.

I must say it's more of constructive criticism that I have been doing to this game.
'Constructive' as in wanting Sakurai to be fired for Daisy's implementation or claiming that the removal of taunts is worse than tripping?
Now that is something funny to laugh about. Petty whining isn't constructive criticism.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

The lack of taunts isn't a massive big deal, but it demonstrates to me how many steps Nintendo is taking back. In addition, all Kirby mains (I'm not really one of them) can't easily lose their power.

The Kirby thing is an actual legitimate point.

The rest is just "eh". The thing is? Taunts get annoying when spammed. Some don't bother to fight. I don't mind them gone myself. They take away from the actual gameplay itself and wastes time. They should be there for casual matches(as in With Friends, just like Mii Fighters were).

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

I gotta give it to you with Kirby. Jeez, those three are filled with unofficial taunts (picking Meta Knight alone is a taunt in and of itself).

But "constructive criticism?" You asked for Sakurai to be fired in one of your threads. You're citing GameFAQ's as a source. You constantly complain about the methods of unlocking characters and Ultimate' online. I'm not sure what dictionary you found the definition for constructive from, but I'd like to see it.

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
This is actually bad for Kirby if it doesn't allow him to drop an ability without a taunt animation...

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Now you all know my pain as a Pre-Smash-4 Sonic Main ;_;

Besides, you mean standard taunts. Other things like Dedede's crouch and the 'Zard walk are always going to be there. If anything, unofficial taunts are more fun.*

*Unless it's Palutena. Her side taunt ftw.
ISeeYouAreAPersonOfCultureAsWell.jpg

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
'Constructive' as in wanting Sakurai to be fired for Daisy's implementation or claiming that the removal of taunts is worse than tripping?
Now that is something funny to laugh about. Petty whining isn't constructive criticism.
I'm not against Daisy being in, but making her pretty much play the same as Peach is lazy.
Tripping was idiotic, but removing taunts makes the game seem more bland.
I guess Sakurai has done quite a lot of idiotic things. Firing him might not be the best choice, but he brought back stages that no one liked such as The Great Cave Offensive, removed many things that people liked such as Stage Builder and for Ultimate he focused too much on including characters just to fill up the roster. Making pretty much every character unlockable was basically overkill.

OkageMarth18

Banned via Warnings
Good

Everywhere I fought, people just abused the taunt to get people rallied up. Had to stop the WiFi matches after my little brother threw a fit over the taunts

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm not against Daisy being in, but making her pretty much play the same as Peach is lazy.
I guess Sakurai has done quite a lot of idiotic things. Firing him might not be the best choice, but he brought back stages that no one liked such as The Great Cave Offensive, removed many things that people liked such as Stage Builder and for Ultimate he focused too much on including characters just to fill up the roster. Making pretty much every character unlockable was basically overkill.
Overkill? How? Ultimate isn't supposed to be like Smash 4 in any way. GROW UP. You're using superlatives such as "no one liked" to describe stages you did not like. I loved The Great Cave Offensive and I'm happy that it's back. Ultimate never added characters to fill up the roster. That's why there's literally only six newcomers. And the gamemodes that were removed will probably be brought back via the patches. So please, calm the **** down.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Well that's disappointing. I always felt the taunt limit was unnecessary since taunt parties were still a thing through t-bagging. I honestly enjoy taunting. I find it fun plus I get a bit of satisfaction when I taunt just before killing someone, timing them right to match the moment someone passes the blast zone, taunting to actually hurt someone (:ultluigi::ultgreninja::ultsnake:), taunting because the character I'm using says something that matches the situation (:ultcorrin::ultrobin::ultfalcon::ultryu::ultfalco:) or just taunting to see if I can get away with it to the frustration of my opponent.

Pyr

Smash Lord
For real, though. It's only in Online mode and might be patched due to the interaction it has with Kirby. This isn't a big deal. You can still taunt literally everywhere else, including on stream when you body the other dude. And, in the end, isn't that the only taunt that really counts?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The concept of echoes was explained very clearly when they were presented, so feigning obliviousness to this will do you no favors. Either Daisy is in as one or she is not in at all because they didn't prioritize her that much over other newcomers.

How? I rarely use taunts when playing online with strangers. Explain to me how the lack of a mechanic that makes your character appeal to the crowd in a certain game mode is objectively worse than a mechanic that makes you lose control of your fighter in every other mode?
Use your head on this one and elaborate with the proper words instead of leaving yourself short every time someone brings it up. Think of it as writing a research paper that needs to convey to their readers why your side is right.

I guess Sakurai has done quite a lot of idiotic things. Firing him might not be the best choice, but he brought back stages that no one liked such as The Great Cave Offensive, removed many things that people liked such as Stage Builder and for Ultimate he focused too much on including characters just to fill up the roster.
He also included over 100 stages and re added fan favorite ones like Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon Stadium, Saffron City, Peach's Castle, Kong Falls, etc..., and added every single character in the series, so tell me what part of that was idiotic. We know that the roster and stage selection are two of the best aspects of these games, but I see that you are downplaying them while ignoring inconvenient data for the sake of declaring that every decision that went into this game was idiotic. We have over 70 characters in this game which is nothing to scoff at.

Making pretty much every character unlockable was basically overkill.
And those characters stay unlocked once you get them which makes this issue temporary and trivial. Not to mention that this is such a first world problem not worth torching a developer over it. Also, it's hypocritical coming from you, since you were actually advocating for making harder unlocking conditions since the current ones were 'too easy'.
So do we agree that almost everything you said so far is petty whining and your last post simply reinforces this sentiment? Cool? Alright then!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
But I liked all these things :urg: (except removal of some modes and I personally don't care if Daisy is an echo or not).

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Good

Everywhere I fought, people just abused the taunt to get people rallied up. Had to stop the WiFi matches after my little brother threw a fit over the taunts
Your brother being a sore loser is not good justification to remove this feature.
Taunts had other uses too: pre-match greetings, and peeps even taunted after good plays.

I'm disappointed, but I'll move on eventually. I just don't understand the idea behind it. Smash 4 did it right, why change what isn't broke?

And come on, if someone's playing 1v1 they want a competitive game. Competition breeds this kind of mind game.

Peachach

Smash Cadet
Absurd and pathetic. Grow up, Nintendo. Cannot believe they blocked taunting in online matches.

And I still can't believe I was sent to Smash hell over taunting in Smash 4, either.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Wait this actually is a bit of a problem for Kirby, Weegee, and Snake. One for discarding unwanted abilities and the other two for edgeguarding. I'm sure it was an accident or something and it will be fixed. Hopefully I will be able to degrade people with merciless taunts come the moment of release (which is an hour and 45 minutes from now). T-bagging is nice but it just doesn't carry the same weight to me, in Smash anyway.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I rarely use taunts, but I think Nintendo should remove Online restrictions. Let players target one guy in a free-for-all. Let players taunt all they want. Let players play how they want to play. It's a fighting game, so why should anyone play fair? But the inability to taunt at all is dumb. The CPU does it when they get a KO, so why not Online players? Oh well, I'll just play offline matches against CPUs and World of Light and Classic Mode. At least you can do whatever you want offline. And if a player cheats with spamming attacks, why wouldn't the other player use that tactic back? The only kind of cheating that shouldn't be allowed is using Action Replay or GameShark or any kind of modding device that makes your game incompatible with the online servers.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Gamefaqs is a toilet bowl, didnt even click the link so im just gonna hope this isnt true. Either way ill find out in an hour. #hype

Last edited:

GrnFzzTgr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GrnFzzTgr
3DS FC
4425-1713-9059
Game is apparently live, somebody with a digital copy should test, also test what happens with Kirby. The gamexplain stream couldn't taunt, and apparently Zero couldn't either?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom