• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Play Melee on Wii (Or Wii U) without disk

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
Hi, I’ve been wanting to play Melee again for a long time, but I don’t have a copy of it, so I was hoping there was someway to play it without the disk, maybe through a sd card, or a usb stick, or something! I just want the most simple way to get it to work, I’m not really interested in the homebrew channel, but if I HAVE to get it, it will be worth it, any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Pauer

The Pauerful
The simplest way is to follow Kadano's Softmod guide for the Nintendo wii. You'll find everything you need in the guide and it's a pretty fast and simple procedure if you've done it before. Make sure to read it thoroughly the first time around.

soobly

Smash Rookie
The simplest way is to follow Kadano's Softmod guide for the Nintendo wii. You'll find everything you need in the guide and it's a pretty fast and simple procedure if you've done it before. Make sure to read it thoroughly the first time around.
Is this generally what all players do for Melee? What's the difference between playing on the wii by itself and with the UFC and softmod?

Last edited:

Pauer

The Pauerful
Is this generally what all players do for Melee? What's the difference between playing on the wii by itself and with the UCF and softmod?
You can choose not to use UFC in a setting, although it's becoming very common. You have to softmod the Wii in order to play games from an SD card/USB stick, there's no way around that. Softmodding the Wii has nothing directly to do with Melee and the Wii will still act the same way, except that you will then have the homebrew channel available as well. Several settings that Kadano suggests are optional, like setting it so that the Wii loads straight into melee when powered on, instead of behaving as usual. That's because many melee players use their Wiis as dedicated Melee machines rather than Nintendo Wiis.

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
Can I do this method with a 2 gb sd card or do I have to buy a bigger one?

Last edited:

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
It says so on the first page of the guide, I believe. It should be possible with a 2gb card, but you'll only have space for a single game.
how big of an sd card do you think I would need for melee, and double dash? Those are my two favorites!

Pauer

The Pauerful
Gamecube games are almost all around 1.4Gb in size, some are a little smaller. That should tell you.

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
Gamecube games are almost all around 1.4Gb in size, some are a little smaller. That should tell you.
Ok, thank you for all your help!

I followed all his steps, but i want my wii to go directly to the regular wii menu when i boot it up, how do i do that?

Pauer

The Pauerful
I followed all his steps, but i want my wii to go directly to the regular wii menu when i boot it up, how do i do that?
It's been a while since I read through Kadano's guide so I'll go off memory. You should be able to configure this behavior in the Priiloader settings.

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
It's been a while since I read through Kadano's guide so I'll go off memory. You should be able to configure this behavior in the Priiloader settings.
K thanks

also i have alot of input delay, why? and how do i fix it? and just so you know i didnt install the ucf mod, not sure if that matters.

Pauer

The Pauerful
also i have alot of input delay, why?
You shouldn't have any input delay as long as you're playing on a CRT. There's an option in the Nintendont settings called "native control", I think it should be set to "on", but that only has an impact on analog stick accuracy, not on input delay.

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
You shouldn't have any input delay as long as you're playing on a CRT. There's an option in the Nintendont settings called "native control", I think it should be set to "on", but that only has an impact on analog stick accuracy, not on input delay.
Probably because I haven’t played melee in a long time then :p thanks

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
Hey, thanks for all your help, I’ve been using this method to play great games, like, Double Dash, and Wind Waker, But I’ve been noticing that sometimes, with big games like wind waker, there are slight frame rate drops, is that just a thing the original game did? Or is there something wrong with my wii?

Pauer

The Pauerful
I'm not exactly sure why that happens. I haven't played many gamecube games outside of melee using a hacked wii. I own wind waker and used to play it on my gamecube but it's been a while so I'm not sure if the game simply has framedrops from time to time, or whether it's an issue with your setup/nintendont settings. First of all, try disabling cheats.

What class is your SD card rated as? It's possible that the framedrops occur due to slow read speeds. The SD card class is labeled as a number with a circle around it on the card itself, usually below the manufacturer logo, on the right. Most modern SD cards are class 10, which is already way faster than the maximum wii read speed.

There's an option in the nintendont settings called "unlock read speed" (or similar) which will make games load significantly faster. It causes a small issue with SSBM where the background music won't play from time to time but loading stages becomes almost instantaneous. I assume there may also be similar issues with other games but you can try enabling that option and test it with wind waker.

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
I'm not exactly sure why that happens. I haven't played many gamecube games outside of melee using a hacked wii. I own wind waker and used to play it on my gamecube but it's been a while so I'm not sure if the game simply has framedrops from time to time, or whether it's an issue with your setup/nintendont settings. First of all, try disabling cheats.

What class is your SD card rated as? It's possible that the framedrops occur due to slow read speeds. The SD card class is labeled as a number with a circle around it on the card itself, usually below the manufacturer logo, on the right. Most modern SD cards are class 10, which is already way faster than the maximum wii read speed.

There's an option in the nintendont settings called "unlock read speed" (or similar) which will make games load significantly faster. It causes a small issue with SSBM where the background music won't play from time to time but loading stages becomes almost instantaneous. I assume there may also be similar issues with other games but you can try enabling that option and test it with wind waker.
My SD card has a 4, is that slower than the wii’s Read speed?

Pauer

The Pauerful
My SD card has a 4, is that slower than the wii’s Read speed?
Before you worry about your SD card, try changing the settings I suggested, since that's free and a new SD card is not. Although you mentioned that your SD card is quite small in capacity, so maybe a bigger card is a good consideration in any case. Note that you can also use micro SD cards with an adapter, since sometimes micro SD cards are a little cheaper.

I'm not sure about the speed or whether it's "enough". If the SD card is pretty old then it's more likely the SD card speed. I think I read somewhere that the max read speed of a wii is comparable to a class 4 or class 6 SD card. I think with the "unlock read speed" option, you get higher read speeds out of the SD card as that, but I'm not sure about this part.

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
Before you worry about your SD card, try changing the settings I suggested, since that's free and a new SD card is not. Although you mentioned that your SD card is quite small in capacity, so maybe a bigger card is a good consideration in any case. Note that you can also use micro SD cards with an adapter, since sometimes micro SD cards are a little cheaper.

I'm not sure about the speed or whether it's "enough". If the SD card is pretty old then it's more likely the SD card speed. I think I read somewhere that the max read speed of a wii is comparable to a class 4 or class 6 SD card. I think with the "unlock read speed" option, you get higher read speeds out of the SD card as that, but I'm not sure about this part.
Okay, thanks for your help!

Top Bottom