• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Plausible to comain or secondary Greninja?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Hey guys just wanted to come into to ask how high the entry barrier really is for Greninja. Is he viable as a co-main or secondary or does he take too much work for that? I really wanna play him but I keep hearing how hard he is. I’ve already got my Ness down pretty well so I just kind of have to brush up on him but I don’t have to practice him as much as Greninja, at least at first. What do you guys think?

Firox

Smash Master
My main main is Greninja with Wolf, Cloud, Dark Pit and Ridley as cosecondaries. Honestly, the entry barrier is hard to say for Greninja. I played fox during Melee so I already had an affinity for fast, beat-down characters and my use of sword characters gave me practice with disjointed moves. If you play Ness then he shouldn't be too hard to learn but it really depends on how well you can shift play styles between characters. They definitely play differently.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
My main main is Greninja with Wolf, Cloud, Dark Pit and Ridley as cosecondaries. Honestly, the entry barrier is hard to say for Greninja. I played fox during Melee so I already had an affinity for fast, beat-down characters and my use of sword characters gave me practice with disjointed moves. If you play Ness then he shouldn't be too hard to learn but it really depends on how well you can shift play styles between characters. They definitely play differently.
Yeah that’s why I’m interested in learning him, aside that he looks really fun to play, because he’s a very different character from Ness and it would be nice to have him to use also in MUs were Ness might do worse and to use Ness in MUs were Greninja night do worse. How is Greninja against sword characters btw? If he’s at least even with them I think I’ll definirelt try picking him up. I’m pretty good at shifting in play styles too. I’ve mained and pocketed a lot of characters throughout my Smash playing. Thanks for the answer!

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Yeah that’s why I’m interested in learning him, aside that he looks really fun to play, because he’s a very different character from Ness and it would be nice to have him to use also in MUs were Ness might do worse and to use Ness in MUs were Greninja night do worse. How is Greninja against sword characters btw? If he’s at least even with them I think I’ll definirelt try picking him up. I’m pretty good at shifting in play styles too. I’ve mained and pocketed a lot of characters throughout my Smash playing. Thanks for the answer!
Yeah, from what little I've played Ness, I did notice that he struggles against disjointed characters like the swordies. Fortunately, I can say that Greninja does a lot better but it requires precise timing and spacing of his Fair to beat out Marth/Lucina and Chrom's aerials. I love how ppl forget that Greninja has a sword of his own. ;P Watch your opponent carefully to decide whether you need a pressuring Fair or a retreating Fair to snuff their approach. Another thing I love about Greninja is that if you can ever get Chrom off stage, you automatically win. Just stand at the ledge and use Substitute when he tries to recover. He can't snap the ledge and if you angle your counter down and away from the stage then he's toast. Also practice shooting your water shuriken in midair to snipe their short hops and use that speed to your advantage. To quote Venia, "A greninja is only as good as their movement."

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Yeah, from what little I've played Ness, I did notice that he struggles against disjointed characters like the swordies. Fortunately, I can say that Greninja does a lot better but it requires precise timing and spacing of his Fair to beat out Marth/Lucina and Chrom's aerials. I love how ppl forget that Greninja has a sword of his own. ;P Watch your opponent carefully to decide whether you need a pressuring Fair or a retreating Fair to snuff their approach. Another thing I love about Greninja is that if you can ever get Chrom off stage, you automatically win. Just stand at the ledge and use Substitute when he tries to recover. He can't snap the ledge and if you angle your counter down and away from the stage then he's toast. Also practice shooting your water shuriken in midair to snipe their short hops and use that speed to your advantage. To quote Venia, "A greninja is only as good as their movement."
Ness does struggle with swords and disjoints but not in a major way, I don’t believe Ness has a matchup in this game worse than -1 right now but I’d rather have a character that goes even or has an advantage against swords to pull out and a character that I can pull out as a change of pace. If I can play a good Greninja and Ness at the same time it won’t be easy to beat me in a tournament set and it I feel like I need a mix up they’re definitely very different characters that can catch opponents off guard. Plus I feel like Greninja is no doubt a top 10 character in this game so that doesn’t hurt lol

I like that quote and that’s what I’ve been practicing so far, movement. BnB combos aren’t that difficult and everything else are much easier to pick up once I have a character’s movement down. If I feel like I don’t have complete control of a character than there’s no way I can play them effectively. I like Greninja’s movement too and the amount of options he has and I think he’ll be a great compliment to Ness. Having two really good characters that are capable of winning tournaments is better than one and I think Greninja seems like a perfect secondary/co-main for Ness right now and they can cover each other quite well. Thanks for the advice!

Firox

Smash Master
Ness does struggle with swords and disjoints but not in a major way, I don’t believe Ness has a matchup in this game worse than -1 right now but I’d rather have a character that goes even or has an advantage against swords to pull out and a character that I can pull out as a change of pace. If I can play a good Greninja and Ness at the same time it won’t be easy to beat me in a tournament set and it I feel like I need a mix up they’re definitely very different characters that can catch opponents off guard. Plus I feel like Greninja is no doubt a top 10 character in this game so that doesn’t hurt lol

I like that quote and that’s what I’ve been practicing so far, movement. BnB combos aren’t that difficult and everything else are much easier to pick up once I have a character’s movement down. If I feel like I don’t have complete control of a character than there’s no way I can play them effectively. I like Greninja’s movement too and the amount of options he has and I think he’ll be a great compliment to Ness. Having two really good characters that are capable of winning tournaments is better than one and I think Greninja seems like a perfect secondary/co-main for Ness right now and they can cover each other quite well. Thanks for the advice!
No prob. Good luck and have fun! I personally think Greninja is the coolest looking character and one of the all-time funnest to play and watch. It's my hope that we Greninja players can continue making a mark on the competitive scene and show the world just how badass he can be!

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
No prob. Good luck and have fun! I personally think Greninja is the coolest looking character and one of the all-time funnest to play and watch. It's my hope that we Greninja players can continue making a mark on the competitive scene and show the world just how badass he can be!
I think you guys definitely will! Especially with players like Lea and Venia inspiring more people to pick him up. That’s my hope for Ness players as well and if I pick up Greninja him as well!

Greninja looks awesome and plays awesome! He’s one of the coolest characters in the game. Plus he’s one of my favorite Pokémon and is on almost every competitive Pokémon team I’ve ever made so I’ve gotta give him a shot

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Delete this didn’t mean to double post

Last edited:
Top Bottom