• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platform Fighters other than Smash.

4nace

Smash Ace
So I am developing a indie game platform fighter featuring 4 player battles and I am hoping to draw some inspiration from not only Smash, but also other quality platform fighting games. The thing is, there really aren't too many out there and I was hoping I could gather them all here in one place to give them a whirl and learn some tricks of the trade.

One idea that I found that I really enjoyed is from Digimon Battle Spirits where you can get electrocuted and then pass it to other players if you touch them. I currently have that in my engine, as well as many other effects. I hope to take other ideas from the games you guys know. Here is my list.

1.) Jump N Bump

System: DOS - PC
Description: This is one of the earliest platform fighters and the simplest as all you do is jump on an opponents head as many times as you want as the game keeps score. That being said, the game is amazingly polished and fun and offers tons of strategies and fun gameplay.

WIKI

2.) Digimon Rumble Arenas

System: PS1 and PS2
Description: I have still yet to play these games, but I heard they are very fun. Bandai's response to the success of the original Super Smash on the N64.

WIKI

3.) Digimon Battle Spirits

System: GBA
Description: Amazing fun little fighters that focus around collecting orbs in 2 minute matches to beat the opponent. The animations and graphics are really top notch here and it all comes together for quite a surprisingly good fighter.

WIKI

4.) Onimushu Blade Warriors

System: PS2
Description: Another fighter focused around collecting orbs. A fun, game but all in all not the best platform fighter as it was basically a traditional fighter with some jumping thrown in.

WIKI

5.) TMNT: Smash Up

System: Wii
Description: Still haven't tried, but I heard good things while it was in development. If anything can be taken away from it, I hear the interactions with the environments are fun and diverse.

WIKI

6.) Jump Super Stars

System: NDS
Description: Haven't played as much as I would have liked to since it is for the DS, but I have heard good things, and people love the sprites and animations.

WIKI

7.) Super Sonic Knockout

System: PC Free Download
Description: A fan game made in game maker that is actually quite amazing and fun. The gameplay focuses around air combos and health, but the combat is deep and the feel of the game is very polished.

LINK

I am also aware of a few others including like 4 naruto games, but I did not consider them different enough from Jump Superstars to post. Let me know if you know any others of quality!

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
ive heard awesome things about jump super stars. Really would have loved to try it.

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
awesome list, i'll definately have to check some of these out.

any more info on the game your developing, tis intriguing.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
TheBuzzSaw, admin here, is doing a 2D game like Smash. He's been showing me stuff and it looks great. PM him.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
Ragdoll Kung Fu

nothing significantly different from others if you ask me.

DailySparta

Smash Rookie
I know I'm a little late, but there's these two really cool Platform Fighters; Super Smash Land and Rivals of Aether. You should get in touch with the creators!

/s

Top Bottom