• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platform Fighter Exploration Thread: Round 117: General RAAM

amageish

Smash Master
Hello! Welcome to the Platform Fighter Exploration Thread, a successor to and continuation of the Character Exploration Thread that ran for the last ~6 months of Smash Ultimate speculation. Here we discuss characters and concepts that people would like to see playable in platform fighters - including Smash Bros entries and beyond!

How to Play:
This is basically just a thread of discussions! Talk about the character of the day - how they would play, what content they would bring to the table, and their general all-around potential!

You can nominate any character/concept you want to discuss. Every day you have 5 noms by default and can earn further noms by participating in the discussion - you get 5 noms for posting character concepts, posing questions, etc.. All noms are given at the end of that day of discussion and can be used any time during that day.

Rules:
1. This thread is not a place to be discussing the likelihood of anything actually happening, so please keep any judgements about likelihood to yourself.
2. Please be respectful and kind. This isn't a place to complain about a character being too popular
3. When nominating a character, please specify in what game you imagine they'd be made playable - a future Smash Bros entry, Fraymakers, Indie Pogo, Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl, PlayStation All-Stars, etc.. You may also nominate an entire platform fighter concept that does not currently exist (ex/ a Disney platform fighter or a Microsoft platform fighter) for discussion!
4. Please note that the "Days" of discussion are not going to be literally 24 hours long. They will be extended or modified depending on the level of conversation going on, with 24 hours just being the minimum length of conversation.
5. Please don't nominate intentionally-controversial characters, even as a "joke." This probably goes without saying, but we won't be discussing the possiblity of Little Bill getting into Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl or other characters based on real-life criminals, murders, dictators, etc.. We reserve the right to reject nominations for characters who are unfit for discussion.
6. Characters should have a week-long gap since they were last discussed before being nominated again.

Current Week:
Round 108: Crow (Death's Door)
Round 109: Ed, Edd, n Eddy
Round 110: Raziel (Soul Reaver)
Round 111: Jack Frost
Round 112: Kage Maru (Virtua Fighter)
Round 113: Chell
Round 114: 2B
Round 115: Bubsy
Round 116: Clockman (NASB)
Round 117: General RAAM

List of characters already explored:
Phoenix Wright
Adol Christin
Bandana Waddle Dee
Reimu Hakurei
Dr. Eggman
Rhythm Heaven rep
Tom Nook
Sora
Isaac TBOI
Euden
LoL rep
Funky Kong
Zegram Ghart
Farmer
Agumon
Masked Man
Jace
Pyramid Head
Miriam
Ayumi
Freddy Fazbear
Amiya
Cadence
Battletoads
Crash Bandicoot
Magus
Neku
Imperial
Chosen Undead
Sarah Kerrigan
Maxwell
Frisk
Lu Bu
Gran/Djeeta
Amaterasu
Monika
Jill Stingray
Sir Arthur
Scorpion
Elma
Bill and Lance
Warframe rep
Astral Chain rep
Illidan
Zoe
Genshin Impact MC
Hat Kid
Ryza
Gordon Freeman
Laharl
Fulgore
Madeline
Master Chief
Saber
Sakura Shinguji
Chibi-Robo
Geolyte
Aloy
Klonoa
Doomguy
Ichiban Kasuga
Rivals of Aether rep
Gengar
Tsubasa Oribe
Toad
Velvet Crowe
Octoling
Rintaro Okabe
Alm
Brian
Carmen Sandiego
Goombario/Goombella
Heavy Weapons Guy
Axel Stone
Endo Mamoru
Ryu Hayabusa
Filia (Skullgirls)
The Knight (Hollow Knight)
Dart Monkey (Bloons)
Marceline (Adventure Time) for Multiversus
Shy Guy (Mario)
Black Mage (Final Fantasy)
Crypto (Not Apex Legends)
FEH Summoner (Fire Emblem)
Odie (NASB)
Scizor
Predator
Commander Shepard
God Eater Rep
Shovel Knight
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Mash Kyrielight
Rangi (NASB)
Vectorman
Azura
Kiryu Kazuma
Max (Shining Force)
Alphen and/or Shionne
Ahri
Stella (Spiritfarer)
BJ Blazkowicz
Rango (NASB)

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Perfect! Welcome to the new home, everyone.

Next up for discussion is the footballer/soccer-player Endou Mamoru!

Dan Quixote Dan Quixote uixote - x10
fogbadge fogbadge - x15
Paraster Paraster - x10
amageish amageish - x10
Speed Weed Speed Weed - x25
SharkLord SharkLord - x10

75+ noms
The Knight (Hollow Knight) - x120
Dart Monkey (Bloons) - x105
Shy Guy - x90
Black Mage - x85
FEH Summoner - x80

50-75 noms
Shovel Knight - x75
God Eater Rep - x75

Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
Isaac (Golden Sun) - x65
Luna Loud (NASB) - x65
Scizor - x65
Crypto - x60

26-50 noms
Bubsy - x50
Vectorman - x45
2B - x40
Jonesy - x37
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Jason Frudnick - x30
Chell - x28
Sly Cooper - x28
Trauma Center Content - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Daitoryo - x20
Ezio - x15
Opa-Opa - x15
Darkest Dungeon Content - x11

5-10 noms
Gunvolt - x10
Pauline - x10
King Harkinian - x5
Jack (Final Fantasy Origin) - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ahri - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3
Lobotomy Corporation/Library of Ruina Content - x2

amageish

Smash Master
noms to the knight

and ill kick off the questions with the classic: who's that?
Well, we're now discussing the other other Level-5 franchise in development hell, the protagonist of Inazuma Eleven (well, the originals at least)!

We actually don't have anyone who actively uses their sporting powers in Smash yet (beyond some Wii Fit Trainer moves, but her kit generally has a focus on the yoga/workout side of things and not the sport minigames)... So it'd be an interesting character/franchise to base a kit around.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, we're now discussing the other other Level-5 franchise in development hell, the protagonist of Inazuma Eleven (well, the originals at least)!
oh that guy. wait what do you mean the other franchise? last i checked all the other games were out or out soon

amageish

Smash Master
oh that guy. wait what do you mean the other franchise? last i checked all the other games were out or out soon
I was counting Yokai Watch 4's localization as a form of development hell, even if it is out in Japan, as well as Layton's general non-existence right now...

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Endo being a sports game character seems to give him some level of appeal to some people, I suppose. I covered him in my "Did You Know They Originated In Video Games" thread and could honestly imagine him being a compromise between those who want a sports-themed fighter and those who don't want Cinderace in Smash. Maybe he could come with AI-controlled teammates to fight alongside, as well?

amageish

Smash Master
cancelled and dormant might be better terms but fair enough
I mean, cancelled things would ideally have been announced as being cancelled, but true. Inazuma Eleven is the only Level-5 IP with a properly-announced game that has been continually delayed worldwide.

Endo being a sports game character seems to give him some level of appeal to some people, I suppose. I covered him in my "Did You Know They Originated In Video Games" thread and could honestly imagine him being a compromise between those who want a sports-themed fighter and those who don't want Cinderace in Smash. Maybe he could come with AI-controlled teammates to fight alongside, as well?
NGL I only learnt the anime of Inazuma Eleven was big a few months ago, as I was only familiar with the video game... But, yes, a sports character could be fun and I imagine Cinderace will be a bit past-due by the time that the next Smash comes along. A character with a team could be interesting; I wonder if there could be rival teams duking it out on the field for a unique stage as well...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, cancelled things would ideally have been announced as being cancelled, but true. Inazuma Eleven is the only Level-5 IP with a properly-announced game that has been continually delayed worldwide.
its a shame really. for yo-kai watch i mean

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Oh, nice to see this game being continued. I thought it was going to die off and I was going to write a little thank you writeup to this thread but nevermind, the shows continues!

amageish

Smash Master
Oh, nice to see this game being continued. I thought it was going to die off and I was going to write a little thank you writeup to this thread but nevermind, the shows continues!
Hopefully, at least! We'll see how many people stick around for discussing more things...

On that note, I'll move us to Ryu's day tonight, so if anyone has any other thoughts on Endo, let's get them in now!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hopefully, at least! We'll see how many people stick around for discussing more things...

On that note, I'll move us to Ryu's day tonight, so if anyone has any other thoughts on Endo, let's get them in now!
which ryu? theres thousands in gaming and theres only one i feel i can rule out

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m still interested in this thread, I just haven’t had a whole lot of time lately with a lot of IRL stuff going on. I’ll definitely pop in here and there when I have the time because I do enjoy all the discussion.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Yeah I also think this thread has potential, but maybe these should be renamed to rounds instead of days because with activity on this site kinda waning after the end of speculation, it might take over a day to fully dissect a character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, things could take a while. It wouldn't hurt if people still were able to ask a question or two from a previous character(sometimes people get ideas well after their "day", heh).

amageish

Smash Master
which ryu? theres thousands in gaming and theres only one i feel i can rule out
Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive! It's Ryu Hayabusa's time to shine. I'll start us off with the normal music selection...

As this music selection indicates, Ryu is one of those characters with a lot of legacy in a lot of different ways - NES games known for their bull**** challenging difficulty, some of the best modern action hack-and-slash games, a series of popular (if maybe controversial for its DLC practices) fighting games, and more cameos/crossovers as well... Lots of interesting angles to build off of!

Yeah I also think this thread has potential, but maybe these should be renamed to rounds instead of days because with activity on this site kinda waning after the end of speculation, it might take over a day to fully dissect a character.
That is a very good renaming plan! I shall do that now.

Yeah, things could take a while. It wouldn't hurt if people still were able to ask a question or two from a previous character(sometimes people get ideas well after their "day", heh).
Yeah, I'm happy to have the pace relaxed and not firmly shut down any discussion... as I do expect this will be a much more quiet website in general from now-on.

well im sure we can work things out as we go. maybe we should tag whomever nominated the character?
Probably a good idea too, yes...

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Hayabusa time? Awesometacular.

Ninja Gaiden is one of my favorite NES series due to how smooth the gameplay feels and the precision of the combat. I also played some of Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I haven't gotten far into it because it's daunting with how difficult as **** it is but I really like what I've played so far. It has to be one of the best ninja games out there.

The music in general is pretty good. Unbreakable Determination is one of my favorite video game songs of all time, no joke I listen to it whenever I exercise (Not that I exercise as much as I should but still).

In terms of the moveset, people say that he would be "boring because he's another ninja." Not true. Not true at all. Sure we have Greninja and Sheik but do those characters have the windmill star which flies around like a boomerang and stays in the air until Hayabusa grabs it? Or are able to summon a trio of flame pillars? Or a fire wheel? I didn't think so. Some people don't give Hayabusa enough credit in the moveset department. There's some really cool stuff he can do, in addition to the various ninja techniques that the other ninjas on the roster don't utilize.

Noms: Crypto x5

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I never played any myself, but I did help someone finish up a Zelda 2 sprite. That said, he's a very fast and swift swordsman at least, and I know he can use throwing stars. He's the essential ninja as is, and would make for a great character.

...I got little to say.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Do you have all the previous unused nominations from before?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’ve actually never played a Ninja Gaiden game despite growing up with the NES. I hate to admit it but I’ve never really been very good at video games so I’ve always been a bit intimidated by their difficulty. I’m a big fan of the Warriors games so I did get the chance to play as him in Warriors Orochi 4. Ryu is a very cool character and he seems like he would fit really well in Smash. I love the main Ninja Gaiden theme and I would hope we could at least get the Warriors version of the song even if we ended up with a Warriors character.

amageish

Smash Master
Do you have all the previous unused nominations from before?
Yeah, sorry, here's the updated noms list and a compilation of new (from Endo's Day, not counting Ryu ones yet) and unused noms.

75+ noms
The Knight (Hollow Knight) - x140
Shy Guy - x90
Black Mage - x85
Luna Loud (NASB) - x85
FEH Summoner - x80

50-75 noms
Shovel Knight - x75
God Eater Rep - x75

Isaac (Golden Sun) - x65
Scizor - x65
Crypto - x60

26-50 noms
Bubsy - x50
Vectorman - x45
2B - x40
Opa-Opa - x40
Jonesy - x37
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Jason Frudnick - x30
Chell - x28
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Daitoryo - x20
Ezio - x15

5-10 noms
Gunvolt - x10
Pauline - x10
King Harkinian - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ahri - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3

In terms of the moveset, people say that he would be "boring because he's another ninja." Not true. Not true at all. Sure we have Greninja and Sheik but do those characters have the windmill star which flies around like a boomerang and stays in the air until Hayabusa grabs it? Or are able to summon a trio of flame pillars? Or a fire wheel? I didn't think so. Some people don't give Hayabusa enough credit in the moveset department. There's some really cool stuff he can do, in addition to the various ninja techniques that the other ninjas on the roster don't utilize.
Yeah, while his design is very standard-issue ninja, this guy has been in an absurd amount of games and genres. It'd be really easy to make him have a kit that is entirely unique from Greninja and Sheik. If anything, my big question is how do you decide where to stop - most characters tend to lean on the retro sides of their movesets more then the modern stuff, but Ryu's in the semi-unique situation of his modern stuff being just as acclaimed as his retro offerings (well, the original Ninja Gaiden on Xbox 360 is very acclaimed, obviously Razor's Edge is... less acclaimed and the Switch ports of the trilogy apparently has some optimization troubles).

I love the main Ninja Gaiden theme and I would hope we could at least get the Warriors version of the song even if we ended up with a Warriors character.
I feel like Koei in general is easy to treat like SNK/Namco-Arcade-Games in Smash... Like, they are all distinct in premise, but the worlds cross over super regularly. You get Ninja Gaiden in your Dead or Alive, then you get Dead or Alive in your Ninja Gaiden. Basically everyone has been in a Warriors title - and, heck, you even got two incredibly different genres crossing over shortly with cheerful life sim JRPG Atelier costumes in the scary world of Fatal Frame...

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, let's move onto discussion of Filia from Skullgirls! This will be the last round before the next 7 (currently 8 due to a tie) days got locked in, so use your noms wisely! I'll post the ones unused since the thread changed again as well, as I know things have been confusing lately.

75+ noms
The Knight (Hollow Knight) - x155
Luna Loud (NASB) - x100
Shy Guy - x90
Black Mage - x85
FEH Summoner - x80

50-75 noms
God Eater Rep - x75
Shovel Knight - x75

Isaac (Golden Sun) - x65
Scizor - x65
Crypto - x65

26-50 noms
Bubsy - x50
Opa-Opa - x45
Vectorman - x45
2B - x40
Chell - x38
Jonesy - x37
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
Jason Frudnick - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Commander Shepard - x20
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Daitoryo - x20
Ezio - x15

5-10 noms
Gunvolt - x10
Pauline - x10
Clockman (NASB) - x10
King Harkinian - x5
Carl Johnson - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Ahri - x5
Spyro the Dragon - x3
Tracer - x3

And here's some tunes to get everyone in the mood as well.

Look, I have been including games with crossover content featuring the character of the day in the last few OST selections and the options for Skullgirls are... more limited.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok so

noms:

Trauma Center Content x5
Darkest Dungeon content x5
Gunvolt x5
Lobotomy Corporation/Library of Ruina content x5

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, Shy Guy's coming soon, so let's go with Max(Shining Force) x 10 instead for Smash Bros.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
noms to the knight

i dont know much about skull girls but i understand its a fighting game with a terminal case of anime

Top Bottom