• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platform Fighter Exploration Thread: Round 117: General RAAM

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Noms to the crow

as for wolfenstien I agree that it’s more than likely they’d censor out certain imagery particularly for any region that finds it offensive

which I th might be everywhere except the uk who just see it as another chance to gloat

amageish

Smash Master
Whoops, sorry, I really let time get away from me again... Let's end the day.

50-75 noms
Crow (Death's Door) - x95
Ed, Edd, n Eddy- x95
Raziel (Soul Reaver) - x95
Jack Frost - x75
Chell - x73
2B - x70
Bubsy - x70
Clockman (NASB) - x70
Kage Maru (Virtua Fighter) - x70
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
General RAAM - x60
Opa-Opa - x55

26-50 noms
Jonesy - x47
Jason Frudnick - x45
Trauma Center Content - x32
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
King Harkinian - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Carl Johnson - x25
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Daitoryo - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Spyro the Dragon - x18
Darkest Dungeon Content - x16
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
Lobotomy Corporation/Library of Ruina Content - x7
Jack (Final Fantasy Origin) - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Tracer - x3

Commander_Alph - x20
Dan Quixote - x20
White Frost - x55
Schnee117 - x15
shinhed-echi - x20
DanganZilla5 - x10
Golisopower - x35
Fogbadge - x10
Gengar84 - x30

Next up is discussing how Rango would work in NASB, as nominated by GolisoPower GolisoPower . Time for some classic western action...

This is the final day of the week, so please use your noms carefully!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Okay, so Rango is one of the best Nickelodeon movies to ever exist. No joke.

It's about a chameleon with a penchant for acting who gets separated from his owner somewhere in Nevada and ends up in the town of Dirt. Through a combination of his acting skill and dumb luck, Rango ends up becoming the sheriff of that town. It's an amazing film, and I'd absolutely love to see Rango in NASB.

Noms:
General RAAM x10
Akira Tadokoro (Live A Live) x25

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Okay, so Rango is one of the best Nickelodeon movies to ever exist. No joke.

It's about a chameleon with a penchant for acting who gets separated from his owner somewhere in Nevada and ends up in the town of Dirt. Through a combination of his acting skill and dumb luck, Rango ends up becoming the sheriff of that town. It's an amazing film, and I'd absolutely love to see Rango in NASB.

Noms:
General RAAM x10
Akira Tadokoro (Live A Live) x25
not to mention it parodies every western ever I’ve been told

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I remember watching Rango on the plane ride I took to Alaska. From what I could tell, it seemed like a good movie. The only problem is that there was no volume lol. I’ll have to give it another shot someday. Even though I have no experience with NASBR, Rango seems like he’d be a lot of fun to play in a platform fighter.

amageish

Smash Master
So I imagine the town of Dirt to be the NASB stage to come with Rango, and that his moveset would give him a very tricky playstyle that requires quick thinking and slick movement to play optimally, just like how his character worked in Rango.
I'm curious how Rango would end up adapted into a game as relatively-aggressive (with less of a focus on zoner/positioning-based characters relative to other platform fighters) as NASB is. Hopefully they'd find a unique way of interrogating his moveset so he doesn't end up feeling out-of-character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm curious how Rango would end up adapted into a game as relatively-aggressive (with less of a focus on zoner/positioning-based characters relative to other platform fighters) as NASB is. Hopefully they'd find a unique way of interrogating his moveset so he doesn't end up feeling out-of-character.
simple, he’d defeat everyone with just one bullet

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, time to end the day.

The schedule for the next week is set!

Round 108: Crow (Death's Door) - x95
Round 109: Ed, Edd, n Eddy- x95
Round 110: Raziel (Soul Reaver) - x95
Round 111: Jack Frost - x75
Round 112: Kage Maru (Virtua Fighter) - x75
Round 113: Chell - x73
Round 114: 2B - x70
Round 115: Bubsy - x70
Round 116: Clockman (NASB) - x70
Round 117: General RAAM - x70

Good efficent noms usage with setting up the 4-way tie for 7th place lol.

50-75 noms
Opa-Opa - x55

26-50 noms
Jonesy - x47
Jason Frudnick - x45
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
King Harkinian - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Akira Tadokoro (Live A Live) - x25
Carl Johnson - x25
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Daitoryo - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Spyro the Dragon - x18
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Tracer - x3

Commander_Alph - x20
Dan Quixote - x20
White Frost - x55
Schnee117 - x15
shinhed-echi - x20
DanganZilla5 - x10
Golisopower - x20
Fogbadge - x20
Gengar84 - x40

Next up, we're talking about a modern indie game darling: Death's Door. As nominated by fogbadge fogbadge , let's discuss the Crow!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i tip my hat to you rango, one legend to another

now onto todays character, the crow is the nameless protag of indie game Death's Door, which out of the handful of new indie games i played last year was certainly the best. or at least the one i enjoyed the most. it is an isometric hack and slash souls like. although as someone whos never played souls ive no idea on that last one. the crows moveset may seem a bit simplistic so if he was in smash he would be unlikely to have a gimmick. at least not one that wouldnt feel tagged on for no real reason. the crow has four ranged attacks which would easily work for specials, a fireball, arrows, explosive and a hookshot. also has a nice selection of weapons to flesh out the moveset, sword and shield, umbrella, twin blades, and a couple of bigger swords perfect for smash attacks. the crow would be our 5th avian fighter but our first non humanoid one not to be attached to another character. mind you the lack of flight capabilities may throw some people. games not terribly long and only a smattering of locations to base stages but each one would make for a nice little stage

now as KH4 was just announced noms to riku

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Noms:
x40 Xehanort

I’ve never heard of Death’s Door before but it looks pretty interesting after doing a bit of research on Google. I love darker characters so I’d be open to seeing Crow in Smash or another platform fighter. His design is pretty cool.

What would you choose for a stage for Crow?

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I missed a couple days again. Well onto this game. I've never heard of this title until now but I checked out the trailer and it look solid. The art style is nice and there are loads of magic to base a moveset on. I'm not sure which game this would be featured in, but it looks like a natural fit for the platform fighter genre.

Noms: Spyro The Dragon x10

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, good point. Thanks fogbadge!

50-75 noms
Opa-Opa - x55

26-50 noms
Jonesy - x47
Daitoryo - x45
Jason Frudnick - x45
Xehanort - x40
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
King Harkinian - x30
Sly Cooper - x28
Spyro the Dragon - x28

11-25 noms
Carl Johnson - x25
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Riku - x20
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
SSBU Re-release - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Tracer - x3

Commander_Alph - x20
Dan Quixote - x20
White Frost - x55
Schnee117 - x15
shinhed-echi - x20
DanganZilla5 - x10
Fogbadge - x15
Gengar84 - x10

Next up, as nominated by DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 , we discuss a trio of Cartoon Network staples' potential for Multiversus.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I kind of imagine Ed Edd n Eddy being the "Pokemon Trainer" of MultiVersus: I mean, they're almost identical to them as is, and even in playstyle, too:
  • Squirtle and Eddy: Lightweight, quick, combo-oriented
  • Ivysaur and Double D: Middleweight, requires intellect to play, weird attacks to use
  • Charizard and Ed: Heavyweight, strong burst damage

See? We have practically one of the best candidates for MultiVersus right under our noses here!

Noms:
Daitoryo x5

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Honestly I feel the Eds should be seperate fighters, and if just one had to be used it should be Ed (even if Double D is my personal favourite) - though if they could figure out a BCM-style currency system for Eddy I think I'd prefer him.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Oh dam, almost forgot about this.

So the first thing is moveset. Now GolisoPower GolisoPower took the words out of my mouth. The similarity between the Ed bois and the Pokemon Trainer trio is staggering, it's hard to imagine them not being a swap-out character. Sure, they could just choose one of the Eds and call it a day. But all three of them are equally important and while each one could be unique enough if they devs are creative enough, having them be a swap-out trio would make them stand out so much more and it just makes sense, especially when you see how they have been handled in other games like The Mis-Edventures. In that game you could swap between them freely in most levels and they have a unique ability depending on which Ed is being controlled. This includes the Batter-Ed where Ed charges forward with the other two Eds behind him and they slam into objects. The devs could use this as inspiration for a moveset and just in general, if the Eds were together there is so much potential for wacky attacks and animations.

In regards to the stage, they could just have it take place in the middle of the cul-de-sac with cameos from the other kids who could be used as stage hazards as well. That alone would be fine, though I wonder if they would implement a traveling stage. So far it doesn't seem like we have any, but if we do get one it would be cool if the Eds got the treatment so we could get other locations like the junkyard and the trailer park where the Kanker Sisters live which would provide more interesting stage layouts. Or they just have the stage be at one location, that would be fine too. Either way I'll be happy with it.

Ed, Edd n Eddy are some of my most wanted characters for MultiVersus (The others being Ruby Rose and Godzilla). It was my favorite show as a little kid and even now it's still my 4th favorite overall. The humor still cracks me up and it just has that nostalgic, childhood vibe that puts me in a good mood. I would be exhilarated if we got the Ed bois in MultiVersus.

Noms: Spyro The Dragon xMax

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Didn't the Eds often visit an abandoned construction site? My memory on this show is a bit hazy but that seems like a perfect platfighter stage concept.
Yeah, that is the junkyard I was talking about, but thinking about it yeah it's more like an abandoned construction site. That kind of stage could provide some really interesting layouts and gimmicks.

amageish

Smash Master
As I said on their RTC day, this is a franchise I have very little memory of despite knowing I watched it as a kid... I think Dangan hits on a lot of the reasons they'd make for fun fighters in Multiversus though! They already missed out on Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion; I feel like they deserve another shot...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Is Edward, Edmund and Edgar the one where they’re all dead?

serious question

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Let's end the day, shall we?

50-75 noms
Opa-Opa - x55

26-50 noms
Daitoryo - x50
Xehanort - x50
Jonesy - x47
Jason Frudnick - x45
Spyro the Dragon - x38

Riku - x35
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
King Harkinian - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Carl Johnson - x25
Chun-Li - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
SSBU Re-release - x10
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Tracer - x3

Commander_Alph - x20
Dan Quixote - x20
White Frost - x55
Schnee117 - x15
shinhed-echi - x20
DanganZilla5 - x20
GolisoPower - x15
Wario Wario Wario - x15

Next up, as nominated by Gengar84 Gengar84 , we discuss Raziel from Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver!

This isn't an IP I am very familiar with, but I've been listening to the OST to make the sampler and I dig the atmospheric vibes it leans into with a lot of environmental noise incorporated into the songs/soundtrack.

I also was looking up the IP's crossover history (as I always include a song from a game the series crosses over into in the Music Sampler) and found out... this exists, apparently.

Not... entirely sure what to say about it, but it definitely exists. The Square Enix Poker crossover we didn't know we needed?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Soul Reaver is an action adventure game on the PlayStation 1 in the Legacy of Kain series. The original games in the LoK franchise, Blood Omen centered around a vampire lord named Kain. The Soul Reaver games branched off from Blood Omen and focused on Kain’s lieutenant who he created, Raziel.

While Kain was the main protagonist of Blood Omen, he became a villain in Soul Reaver. In the opening scene, Raziel grows a pair of wings, and is the first vampire to do so in many years, thereby surpassing Kain in status. Seeing this, Kain becomes enraged by jealousy and tears apart Raziel’s wings and banishes him to the abyss. After this Raziel ceases to be a normal vampire and was revived as a wraith.

Here is an image of Raziel in his vampire form on the left as well as his wraith form on the right.

1650935681884.jpeg
1650935789643.jpeg

Soul Reaver has a unique gimmick gameplay wise that could translate to a really interesting Smash character. Raziel constantly loses health as he walks around due to becoming a wraith. Killing enemies allows Raziel to absorb their souls to heal himself. This could be represented by his attacks all draining a small percentage of health at the expense of slight constant health loss. Raziel primarily fights with his claws and a Wraith Blade, which is a shadowy energy weapon that surrounds his hand. He can also pick up various weapons he sees lying around and use them similarly to Breath of the Wild. Raziel also has several telekinetic powers as well as the ability to glide and pass through walls.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Sorry for the double post but there was just some relevant news that came up recently regarding Legacy of Kain that I thought it was worth bringing up. Square-Enix just sold the rights to most of its western properties, including Legacy of Kain and Tomb Raider. That means they are no longer Square-Enix reps. At the same time, there’s a much higher chance for a series revival now that another developer owns them since it seemed like Square-Enix no longer had an interest in the IP.

amageish

Smash Master
Sorry for the double post but there was just some relevant news that came up recently regarding Legacy of Kain that I thought it was worth bringing up. Square-Enix just sold the rights to most of its western properties, including Legacy of Kain and Tomb Raider. That means they are no longer Square-Enix reps. At the same time, there’s a much higher chance for a series revival now that another developer owns them since it seemed like Square-Enix no longer had an interest in the IP.
That is very interesting!!! And funny timing as well. The sale is an oddity IMO, but I'm glad it is inspiring hope that smaller franchises that have long lingered in Square's vaults (and/or had Square declare them failures despite selling millions of units) getting the treatment and care they deserve.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
That is very interesting!!! And funny timing as well. The sale is an oddity IMO, but I'm glad it is inspiring hope that smaller franchises that have long lingered in Square's vaults (and/or had Square declare them failures despite selling millions of units) getting the treatment and care they deserve.
I seem to have really weird timing with my character nominations. First, when I nominated Illidan, the whole ActiVision/Blizzard scandal broke on the first day of discussion and now I bring up Raziel and we get the first bit of news of the franchise in over a decade with Square-Enix selling the property.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I seem to have really weird timing with my character nominations. First, when I nominated Illidan, the whole ActiVision/Blizzard scandal broke on the first day of discussion and now I bring up Raziel and we get the first bit of news of the franchise in over a decade with Square-Enix selling the property.
as spooky as a ghost type

Top Bottom