• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Platform Fighter Exploration Thread: Round 117: General RAAM

amageish

Smash Master
Sounds good. I'll try to be consistent about each round being ~3 days...

50-75 noms
Jack Frost - x75
Chell - x73
Bubsy - x70
Ed, Edd, n Eddy- x65
Hearthstone Innkeeper - x65
2B - x60
Opa-Opa - x55

Kage Maru (Virtua Fighter) - x50

26-50 noms
Jonesy - x47
Jason Frudnick - x45
Crow (Death's Door) - x40
Clockman (NASB) - x35
Raziel (Soul Reaver) - x35
Trauma Center Content - x32
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
King Harkinian - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Carl Johnson - x25
Chun-Li - x25
General RAAM - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Daitoryo - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Spyro the Dragon - x18
Darkest Dungeon Content - x16
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
Lobotomy Corporation/Library of Ruina Content - x7
Jack (Final Fantasy Origin) - x5
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Tracer - x3

Commander_Alph - x20
Dan Quixote - x20
White Frost - x45
Schnee117 - x35
shinhed-echi - x20
Gengar84 - x25
Fogbadge - x10
DanganZilla5 - x10

Next up, we're taking a look at one of the big JRPGs of last year by shining a spotlight on the two protagonists of Tales of Arise, Alphen and Shionne.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
hmm not heard of these two. mind you ive never played as tales of game but hey half the fun of this thread is learning about games you're unfamiliar with

noms to the crow from deaths door

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m a huge fan of the Tales series and I’ve been a big supporter of Velvet Crowe from Tales of Berseria in Smash Ultimate for quite a long time. While Velvet’s time may have passed, I feel like Alphen and Shionne from Tales of Arise releases last year would make for really great characters as well. I envision the two as a transform style character similar to Pyra and Mythra with contrasting play styles that compliment each other very well.

Alphen is a close range fighter with a mechanic called Flaming Edge that he can perform an additional powerful follow up attack after each skill at the cost of his HP. Other than Flaming Edge, Alphen is a fairly straight forward fighter. He does have one projectile in Demon Fang, which is basically Terry’s Power Wave shot from his sword.

Shionne is a gunner and a mage with very few close range attacks but excels in healing magic. One idea I had for a move for Shionne is Healing Circle, which works a lot like the healing field item but with a scaled back effect for balance. It would probably need a sizable cooldown so it couldn’t be spammed. This would also heal your teammates in team battles.

On top of this, the two have a team attack whenever a meter builds up as well as their own unique special. I was thinking they could possibly perform their team attack whenever you tag between the two characters and the unique special could be a meter based attack. On top of this, every Tales character has two ultimate cinematic skills called Mystic Artes that work perfectly for Final Smash attacks.

For music, I think they should pull from the entire Tales of series since there are so many great tracks that it would be a shame to limit it to just one game.

Here are a few more examples of some of my favorite tracks from the series:

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I haven't played Tales of Arise so I can't say much about these two. I do want to get into the series and right now I'm (kind of) going through Tales of Vesperia. It's a pretty good game so far and I'm curious what the other games bring. From what Gengar said though, this duo seems fun. As for music, I would be happy as long as we get Furnace of War in Smash.

As for a question, I want to ask something a little different: What would be their (and by extension, the series') symbol?

Noms: Ed, Edd n Eddy x10

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’m a huge fan of the Tales series and I’ve been a big supporter of Velvet Crowe from Tales of Berseria in Smash Ultimate for quite a long time. While Velvet’s time may have passed, I feel like Alphen and Shionne from Tales of Arise releases last year would make for really great characters as well. I envision the two as a transform style character similar to Pyra and Mythra with contrasting play styles that compliment each other very well.

Alphen is a close range fighter with a mechanic called Flaming Edge that he can perform an additional powerful follow up attack after each skill at the cost of his HP. Other than Flaming Edge, Alphen is a fairly straight forward fighter. He does have one projectile in Demon Fang, which is basically Terry’s Power Wave shot from his sword.

Shionne is a gunner and a mage with very few close range attacks but excels in healing magic. One idea I had for a move for Shionne is Healing Circle, which works a lot like the healing field item but with a scaled back effect for balance. It would probably need a sizable cooldown so it couldn’t be spammed. This would also heal your teammates in team battles.

On top of this, the two have a team attack whenever a meter builds up as well as their own unique special. I was thinking they could possibly perform their team attack whenever you tag between the two characters and the unique special could be a meter based attack. On top of this, every Tales character has two ultimate cinematic skills called Mystic Artes that work perfectly for Final Smash attacks.

For music, I think they should pull from the entire Tales of series since there are so many great tracks that it would be a shame to limit it to just one game.

Here are a few more examples of some of my favorite tracks from the series:

they sure sound like theyd stand out. any stage preferences?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I haven't played Tales of Arise so I can't say much about these two. I do want to get into the series and right now I'm (kind of) going through Tales of Vesperia. It's a pretty good game so far and I'm curious what the other games bring. From what Gengar said though, this duo seems fun. As for music, I would be happy as long as we get Furnace of War in Smash.

As for a question, I want to ask something a little different: What would be their (and by extension, the series') symbol?

Noms: Ed, Edd n Eddy x10
After a quick Google search, it looks like this is the icon Namco used to represent the overall Tales of series.

1647425846258.jpeg

they sure sound like theyd stand out. any stage preferences?
1647426255471.jpeg

I think they’d probably go with the starting area of Calaglia. Calaglia is a barren, rocky region filled with fire and volcanoes. The story starts out with a race called the Renans forcing a race called the Danans into slavery. Alphen meets a band of freedom fighters in Calaglia and sets out to liberate the Danans. Shionne is a Renan herself but wants to overthrow all of the Renan lords for her own reasons so she travels with Alphen.

Another option that would make for a great stage is Del Fharis Castle.

1647428171226.jpeg

The aesthetics of this place are really cool and it’s one of the final areas of the game where you battle one of the main antagonists.

Here are Alphen’s three main outfits throughout the game: (Ignore the eyepatch since these are accessories that you can equip to any character. Instead, the first outfit should have a mask covering his whole face, his second covering half hisface, and his third with no mask.)

1647430977013.jpeg

Here are Shionne’s (Same deal but ignore the glasses and cat ears. It looks like all three of these are using the hairstyle from the last outfit as well. I’m not sure why these images have them lol.)

1647431216575.jpeg

One interesting thing about Shionne is that she has a curse called “thorns” that shocks and causes intense pain to anyone that touches her. This has caused her to become an outcast among her own people who have run tons of cruel experiments on her. Alphen meets Shionne as she is escaping from other Renans. Part of her motivations are to try to rid herself of the curse by obtaining objects held by the Renan lords. A lot of Tales fans don’t seem to like Shionne much because she is very stand-offish at first and just saw the other party members as a means to accomplish her objective. Personally, that makes me like her character that much more to see her grow as a person through her experience with the party as she learns to trust other people. It makes sense to me the way she acts early on considering her curse and the way she was treated most of her life up to that point.

Alphen has amnesia for a large part of the game so there isn’t really a whole lot I can say about him without delving too far into heavy spoiler territory unfortunately. Alphen is a likable character as well with a strong sense of justice but he fits a bit too much into the stereotypical hero archetype, at least at first.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I remember in the last time we explored a Tales character that the series shares a surprisingly similar control scheme as Smash Bros, so we have a good chunk of a potential set down for a lot of protags. But I'm curious: if we get a Tales character and they're from Arise, would it just be Alphen, just Shionne, or would it be an Ice Climber/Aegis-style deal?

NOMS:
Clockman x5

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So I remember in the last time we explored a Tales character that the series shares a surprisingly similar control scheme as Smash Bros, so we have a good chunk of a potential set down for a lot of protags. But I'm curious: if we get a Tales character and they're from Arise, would it just be Alphen, just Shionne, or would it be an Ice Climber/Aegis-style deal?

NOMS:
Clockman x5
Yeah, that’s right. Tales movesets actually translate really well to a game like Smash. Every character has various specials you can map to each direction as well as normal attacks and their own ultimate skill called a Mystic Arte that is practically tailor made for a Final Smash.

As for who could get in, If we just got one, my personal preference is Shionne since we already have quite a few sword users in Smash. Alphen’s Flaming Edge gimmick would help him to stand out on his own but I feel Shionne is still the more unique of the two. I personally find her more interesting as a character as well. My ideal scenario is a tag mechanic similar to Pyra and Mythra or Pokémon Trainer rather than the two together like the Ice Climbers. They do have one team move they can use for a down special as they swap between characters. It’s not exactly how it works in Tales but I thought it would be a fun idea to incorporate that in Smash. I think the two just compliment each other’s play styles really well and could make for a really cool transform style character. Story wise, Alphen can’t use his Flaming Edge skills without help from Shionne anyway so the two make even more sense to fight as a duo in Smash.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Interesting breakdown, Gengar84!!! I haven't played Arise myself either; I played the demo, but it doesn't seem like that was the best demonstration of the game's scope or tone.

It is also interesting to see how having a male and female protagonist with equal billing is becoming more common - Tales of Xillia did it forever ago, but now Arise and Xenoblade 3 are doing it back-to-back...

Anyway, here's my question... Let's pivot from Smash for a second and say we're making a Tales of VS 2, but for home console and a bit fancier/better... How do we provide Arise some content that will stand out from the rest of the Tales offerings?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Interesting breakdown, Gengar84!!! I haven't played Arise myself either; I played the demo, but it doesn't seem like that was the best demonstration of the game's scope or tone.

It is also interesting to see how having a male and female protagonist with equal billing is becoming more common - Tales of Xillia did it forever ago, but now Arise and Xenoblade 3 are doing it back-to-back...

Anyway, here's my question... Let's pivot from Smash for a second and say we're making a Tales of VS 2, but for home console and a bit fancier/better... How do we provide Arise some content that will stand out from the rest of the Tales offerings?
That’s a great question. Unfortunately, I’ve never played Tales of VS and I don’t know a whole lot about it. It always sounded really interesting but I’ve always been much more of a console gamer than a handheld gamer. Let me turn the question back to you. Can you tell me more about Tales of VS in general, even if you don’t know anything about Tales of Arise specifically?

amageish

Smash Master
That’s a great question. Unfortunately, I’ve never played Tales of VS and I don’t know a whole lot about it. It always sounded really interesting but I’ve always been much more of a console gamer than a handheld gamer. Let me turn the question back to you. Can you tell me more about Tales of VS in general, even if you don’t know anything about Tales of Arise specifically?
Oh, uh, I wish I could, honestly! It's a game I have been tempted to import before, but I never took the leap to do it...

From what I understand, combat is largely loyal to the standard Tales of Artes system, but with multiple fighters at once and Smash-style items appearing on the field. It's kind of half-platform-fighter, with platforming elements but lacking the traditional ring-outs that platform fighters are known for - so, Smash if everything was stamina battle. It has a large cast from across the series, locations from across the series as stages, and a bizarrely complicated story that imagines a world called Dailantia where all the Tales protagonists represent various kingdoms and fight over a limited pool of resources.

That said, TIL Namco fake-announced a fake sequel to the game for April Fool's Day back in 2020. That sequel, while fake and for mobile in its fakeness, streamlined it to a 1v1 non-platform fighter... So maybe they don't see the platforming elements as core to the IP's identity? Or maybe it was just easier to make it 1v1 for a prank...

Though the mobile aspect of this fake-game does make me wonder if future crossovers will include Tales of Luminaria among other Tales games...

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, seems like it's time to move on...

50-75 noms
Ed, Edd, n Eddy- x75
Jack Frost - x75
Chell - x73
Bubsy - x70
2B - x60
Kage Maru (Virtua Fighter) - x55

Opa-Opa - x55
Crow (Death's Door) - x50

26-50 noms
Jonesy - x47
Jason Frudnick - x45
Clockman (NASB) - x40
Raziel (Soul Reaver) - x35
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
King Harkinian - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Carl Johnson - x25
Chun-Li - x25
General RAAM - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Daitoryo - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Spyro the Dragon - x18
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Tracer - x3

Commander_Alph - x20
Dan Quixote - x20
White Frost - x45
Schnee117 - x35
shinhed-echi - x20
Gengar84 - x60
DanganZilla5 - x10
Fogbadge - x10
Golisopower - x10

Next up on the docket for discussion is Ahri, the fox vastaya from League of Legends and its associated games - including being a key part in another big RPG from last year, Ruined King.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So Ahri is a very important character to LoL because she's effectively the poster girl of the entire franchise, with popularity these days only rivaled by Jinx due to Arcane.

As for how she would play, I imagine her to be a very opportunistic hit-and-run character with a snowball mechanic in the form of XP. See, in League, you level up by killing enemy players, enemy mobs, or monsters found in the neutral areas. In Smash, this could be adapted to give you XP based on how far you launch your foe, how much damage you deal, how many hits you land and even just being near the last spot they were in before getting KO'd, amongst others. Generate enough XP and you'll level up and upgrade your Specials and your Neutral Attack.

As for the stage, what better stage than Summoner's Rift, a map you'd be playing matches in a lot. The idea would be it'd be a fairly large stage like Temple, but there are enemy mobs that you can kill for gold. That gold can be used at shops to purchase any item from the pool that's available, with something like Food being the most affordable and something like a Smash Ball being the most expensive.

Noms:
Clockman x10

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
my experience with LoL is limited. ive played one match against bots where i was that guy who looks like bowser. ive also seen the last few episode of arcane but it was my brothers birthday. anyway beyond that i mostly know it as that game my brother and his friend used to get really mad at. but i do have one question for the fans: would you want that voice saying "welcome to the twisted treeline"?

noms to the crow. wait did i have noms

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Ahri's in an interesting position as League of Legends is in the midst of it going from a "Here's one video game that's one of the largest eSports, but isn't super famous beyond that" to "Here's a multimedia franchise with a bunch of video games, some TV shows, a novella nobody bought, etc!".

Personally, my favourite incarnation of Ahri is undoutably the Ruined King variant. They leaned into the more animalistic part of her nature in that game, which I think was a good direction for the character to go.

Ruined King in general is a very good RPG and more people should play it. The combat system is one of my favourites I've seen in a turn-based JRPG; I highly recommend it.

So, by the time a Smash successor is rolling around, I'd be curious how different the League IP will be like and how that would impact the types of content they'd include in a crossover like Smash... There's already a lot of skin possibilities for Ahri and that's before you consider variants on her design from Wild Rift, Legends of Runeterra, Ruined King, Project L, and whatever comes next...

would you want that voice saying "welcome to the twisted treeline"?
I mean, if the stage was the Twisted Treeline, then they'd probably include that. Having a League of Legends stage come with League of Legends narration generally feels like something Smash would do...

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Sorry if this comes off as a little awkward and out-of-the-blue, but would anyone mind pinging me come Bubsy's day? It's a series I know a lot about and could probably answer a lot of questions related to.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Noms
Raziel (Soul Reaver): x60

I’ve never been very good at competitive online games so I’ve never actually played League of Legends but I have looked over its roster a few times and it has a lot of really cool characters. My personal favorites are Kha’Zix and Nocturne. To my knowledge, neither are particularly popular requests for Smash. I like almost every character design so the most popular requests like Ahri or Jinx would be a lot of fun too even based on their designs if I don’t know a whole lot about them.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

It's always a nice surprise when an IP being discussed in this or RTC or what-have-you gets news during the day they are being discussed...

a novella nobody bought
Apparently enough people bought the ebook novella for them to greenlight a full novel - and one based on a far more obscure League character then the character chosen for the Novella (the novella focused on Garen, who is basically the game's most standard fantasy RPG boy, while this book focuses on Kalista, a much more niche and less famous character).

Anyway, I'll end the day in about 24 hours...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

It's always a nice surprise when an IP being discussed in this or RTC or what-have-you gets news during the day they are being discussed...

Apparently enough people bought the ebook novella for them to greenlight a full novel - and one based on a far more obscure League character then the character chosen for the Novella (the novella focused on Garen, who is basically the game's most standard fantasy RPG boy, while this book focuses on Kalista, a much more niche and less famous character).

Anyway, I'll end the day in about 24 hours...
typical. and i still cant get anyone to mine

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, let's move on now...

50-75 noms
Raziel (Soul Reaver) - x95
Ed, Edd, n Eddy- x75
Jack Frost - x75
Chell - x73
Bubsy - x70
2B - x60
Crow (Death's Door) - x60
Kage Maru (Virtua Fighter) - x60

Opa-Opa - x55
Clockman (NASB) - x50

26-50 noms
Jonesy - x47
Jason Frudnick - x45
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
King Harkinian - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Carl Johnson - x25
Chun-Li - x25
General RAAM - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Daitoryo - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Spyro the Dragon - x18
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Tracer - x3

Commander_Alph - x20
Dan Quixote - x20
White Frost - x45
Schnee117 - x35
shinhed-echi - x20
DanganZilla5 - x10
Golisopower - x20
Fogbadge - x10
Gengar84 - x10

Up next, we're discussing a very different vibe of character: Stella, the protagonist of the indie gem about death and the acceptance thereof, Spiritfarer.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
at last. ive been wanting to discuss her for ages. spiritfarer got to my emotions like a pixar film in a way not often seen in video games and it quickly became one of my top indie games along side hollow knight and a hat in time. stella our main character is the titular spiritfarer taking care of the dead before carrying them to the everdoor the gateway to the afterlife. she wields the everlight, that orb on her belt, that can become whatever tool she needs, becoming a pickaxe a saw a hammer and the like. she would be reminiscent of villager and isabelle even had a go at coming up with a move set for her in my old support thread thatll be burried in the archives now.

but one of the reasons ive been wanting to discuss her is that i wonder would it be appropriate for her to be in smash? now sure thats what some said about the villager but spiritfarer is so different. i a person who supports any character he likes to get into smash find myself wondering if it would be right for this to happen and i wanted to know what other people would think.

noms to the crow

kudos amageish for including thunder harvest, if you hadnt i certainly would have posted it

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I can't help but wonder what the locales look like in Spiritfarer, because if it's emotional, then it has to have some beautiful environments, right?

Noms:
Clockman x10
2B x10

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
but one of the reasons ive been wanting to discuss her is that i wonder would it be appropriate for her to be in smash? now sure thats what some said about the villager but spiritfarer is so different. i a person who supports any character he likes to get into smash find myself wondering if it would be right for this to happen and i wanted to know what other people would think.
That's a very good question! I am also generally of the opinion that it is fun to see how characters who do not canonically fight being transferred into a platform fighter environment, but it's harder to say when it comes to games as... intentionally artistically involved as Spiritfarers is? There's definitely potential for a moveset there though...

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I missed the last couple days. I gotta say, I'm not a big fan of Smashboards' notification system. Anyway, I have yet to play Spiritfarer. I do adore the concept though. Making a game based around a concept as complex as accepting loss is a challenge, but the devs seem to have nailed it, judging from what I've heard. Don't got much else to say honestly, everyone else answered every question I could think of.

Noms: Ed, Edd n Eddy x5

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, let's keep it moving!

50-75 noms
Ed, Edd, n Eddy- x85
Jack Frost - x75
Chell - x73
2B - x70
Bubsy - x70
Crow (Death's Door) - x70

Kage Maru (Virtua Fighter) - x65
Clockman (NASB) - x60
Opa-Opa - x55

26-50 noms
Jonesy - x47
Jason Frudnick - x45
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
King Harkinian - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Carl Johnson - x25
Chun-Li - x25
General RAAM - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Daitoryo - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Spyro the Dragon - x18
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Tracer - x3

Commander_Alph - x20
Dan Quixote - x20
White Frost - x45
Schnee117 - x35
shinhed-echi - x20
DanganZilla5 - x10
Golisopower - x10
Fogbadge - x25
Gengar84 - x20

Next up, we're laying siege to Castle Wolfenstein with B.J. Blazkowicz, protagonist of the iconic genre-defining first-person shooter series.

I missed the last couple days. I gotta say, I'm not a big fan of Smashboards' notification system.
Should I start tagging people with nominations again? I stopped doing that as I was worried it was getting annoying for people, but it could help if people are missing notifications...

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Okay, let's keep it moving!

50-75 noms
Ed, Edd, n Eddy- x85
Jack Frost - x75
Chell - x73
2B - x70
Bubsy - x70
Crow (Death's Door) - x70

Kage Maru (Virtua Fighter) - x65
Clockman (NASB) - x60
Opa-Opa - x55

26-50 noms
Jonesy - x47
Jason Frudnick - x45
Wilfre - x30
Wadanohara* - x30
Zero Escape Rep - x30
King Harkinian - x30
Sly Cooper - x28

11-25 noms
Carl Johnson - x25
Chun-Li - x25
General RAAM - x25
Meowth - x25
SMT Content - x25
Daitoryo - x25
Master Hand - x20
Mega Man X - x20
Morrigan - x20
Spyro the Dragon - x18
Ezio - x15
Gunvolt - x15

5-10 noms
Pauline - x10
Frogger - x5
9-volt - x5
Nathan Drake - x5
Tracer - x3

Commander_Alph - x20
Dan Quixote - x20
White Frost - x45
Schnee117 - x35
shinhed-echi - x20
DanganZilla5 - x10
Golisopower - x10
Fogbadge - x25
Gengar84 - x20

Next up, we're laying siege to Castle Wolfenstein with B.J. Blazkowicz, protagonist of the iconic genre-defining first-person shooter series.

Should I start tagging people with nominations again? I stopped doing that as I was worried it was getting annoying for people, but it could help if people are missing notifications...
So Wolfenstein is in an extremely particularly interesting spot: on the one hand, this preceded Doom as the iD Software Dynamic Duo for the FPS genre, so of course it's got its own prestige. But on the other hand, the various Nazi imagery might be a bit of a problem. I dunno if they can get away with going without it or if it's in a tough spot like with Kingdom Hearts and Disney.

Noms:
Clockman x10

amageish

Smash Master
So Wolfenstein is in an extremely particularly interesting spot: on the one hand, this preceded Doom as the iD Software Dynamic Duo for the FPS genre, so of course it's got its own prestige. But on the other hand, the various Nazi imagery might be a bit of a problem. I dunno if they can get away with going without it or if it's in a tough spot like with Kingdom Hearts and Disney.
I mean, as a general rule, I think this thread has never been about what is pragmatically likely/possible. That said, yeah, I don't think they'd have real-life Nazi iconography in Smash! Among other things, children being exposed to that iconography without context could end... poorly to say the least.

1648598096961.png

That said, it's not like they haven't removed such iconography before and, frankly, I think nowadays there's a certain amount of nostalgia/interest in how Wolfenstein titles were constantly being modified and repurposed. Making Wolfenstein's stage a generic castle setting based on the SNES version seems very possible to me.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
BJ is a fantastic character, the more recent games have done a great job at making him such a compelling character. He has a storied childhood with an abusive dad (who was then more than happy to side with the Nazis) and he genuinely worries about wanting to be around with his family when his twins are born.

For gameplay he's gonna be running and gunning like mad, he even dual wields several weapons each with their own little extra upgrades, the Shotgun can be upgraded with a rotor system allowing for a hail of shotgun shells and the rounds can be upgraded to ricochet and tear enemies apart in cramped spaces for example. There's also laser based weapons and a grenade launcher to utilise as well.

In addition New Colossus gives BJ a power suit of sorts and eventually an artificial body which allows for him to gain extra abilities like stilt shoes to elevate him higher and a shoulder charge which can break walls.

Of course there's melee options too. He's used knives and hatchets extensively and they can even be tossed at a for and be used for deadly grab and throw moves

I'd also like to mention the soundtrack of the recent games being done by Mick Gordon and as you'd expect of him, they're bangers

Noms
All on General RAAM

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I haven’t gotten around to playing any of the modern Wolfenstein games but I used to love Wolfenstein 3D on the PC as a kid. I love Mick Gordon’s work in Killer Instinct so I’ll have to check out DOOM and Wolfenstein at some point. The stage would obviously be based on castle Wolfenstein but how do you guys envision the layout or gimmicks? It’s always interesting to think about how Sakurai could incorporate FPS elements into a stage or character somehow. I remember Wolfenstein had a lot of hidden rooms so maybe something with that?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So Wolfenstein has a very interesting history. For one, I didn't find out about this until now but surprisingly Wolfenstein didn't start out as a FPS, but rather as an action/stealth game. It wasn't until the third game, cleverly called Wolfenstein 3D, that the series gained its signature FPS gameplay. While Wolfenstein 3D wasn't the very first FPS game (That honor goes to Maze War and Spasim), it was the game that really popularized the genre and was a technical marvel for its time. The early Wolfenstein games were focused around Nazis trying to harness supernatural powers while the modern games focus on an alternate timeline where the Axis Powers won WWII.

This is where B.J Blazkowicz comes in. He is the main character of most of the games, typically acting as an agent of the Allied Powers who fights the Nazis with a wide arsenal of guns. These range from standard firearms like assault rifles and handguns, to more wild stuff like energy guns, the Hammergewehr, a quadruple barreled shotgun that fires in rapid sessions, and tesla guns. We don't have a FPS rep in the game yet (I'm not sure if Samus counts), so it would be interesting to see how Blazkowicz plays. I imagine he will mostly be a ranged glass cannon with some decent close-up attacks.

Wolfenstein has a strong legacy, and the franchise has gotten a revival as of late with I believe 3 mainline games, plus some spinoffs. As Amageish said, Wolfenstein has history of omitting Nazi references so it could work and to be honest, I would be in joy to see the series make it into Smash one day, even if I prefer Bethesda's other series like The Elder Scrolls and Doom. But Wolfenstein is cool in its own way and for those of you who haven't played it, I encourage you to. Whether it be the classic titles or the gritty new ones, it's a fun franchise.

Noms: Ed, Edd n Eddy xMax

It would be a good idea to do a poll or something, but personally I'm just fine with being tagged on days where my nominee is being rated. It's not like it happens all the time.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I have a tab up. Only during my day does a tag feel necessary. But eh.

Anyway, I played a bit of the computer version way back when during the MS-Dos days. I don't remember much, but that's cause I play Doom more often in comparison. Similar vibes.

...I'll figure out something to nom again. XD

Top Bottom