• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PK Love - Lucas Social Thread: “Inside the mailbox was absolutely nothing”

MrStardustRicon

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrStardustRicon
These nerfs have been so good for us, first the weight nerf, then she was sent to the shadow realm in order for us to rarely die and be able to kill her easier than ever!

abx

Smash Journeyman
I'm still baffled on how to deal with Bayonetta. I'm not so much concerned about Witch Time, but her Side B seems so overwhelming, it easily beats any approach of Lucas. Currently I'm trying to turtle against it but this works rather against me. Can anyone share some suggestions?

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
I'm still baffled on how to deal with Bayonetta. I'm not so much concerned about Witch Time, but her Side B seems so overwhelming, it easily beats any approach of Lucas. Currently I'm trying to turtle against it but this works rather against me. Can anyone share some suggestions?
You just want to play real patient, and be on the lookout for the move. It is punishable on shield with jab or Ftilt. You can even grab her out of it if you see it coming.

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
Just hold shield when they use the move and wait for them to do the kick; they will always do the kick, and if they don't, you lose nothing by holding shield the extra few moments.

If you know the opponent is going to use it when, say, you are forced to land, bait the move with a full hop down air, then grab them mid-slide.

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Just hold shield when they use the move and wait for them to do the kick; they will always do the kick, and if they don't, you lose nothing by holding shield the extra few moments.

If you know the opponent is going to use it when, say, you are forced to land, bait the move with a full hop down air, then grab them mid-slide.
To add on to landing, remember to use PSI Magnet to throw off their punish timing when they try to catch you coming down.

Last edited:

MrStardustRicon

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrStardustRicon
Do you think PK Fire would be a good conditioning tool if you can predict when the Side-B is coming in order for them to stop using it as much. Or would grab just be a better option?

Login_Sinker

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lagoniusmaximus
Do you think PK Fire would be a good conditioning tool if you can predict when the Side-B is coming in order for them to stop using it as much. Or would grab just be a better option?
PK fire spacing is safer for sure. It's best to go for the grab once you're sure you'll land it. If you have a Bayo player to practice against, become adept at reading when she'll usually go for side b, and practice the timing for grabbing it. Once you do have that read, though, definitely do go for it, because our reward off of grab is bonkers.

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
Don't know if anyone else mentioned it, but it looks like Lucas came out of the patch with no confirmed buffs or nerfs, which is pretty fair.

I also tend to have trouble with Bayonetta. My friend has been practicing for the past few weeks trying to pseudo-main her. Basically what I do when she uses side-b is to just shield the entire thing and wait for the kick, similar to what frozentreasure frozentreasure suggested. I find it to be difficult sometimes though because I am still sometimes caught by the immediate up-b, and then combo'd about 30%. I know up-b is pretty safe, but I guess I'm just not used to the reaction of grabbing or punishing it yet.

abx

Smash Journeyman
Dude, that vid with Nairo is so exciting. Compared to your first SSB4!Lucas vids it looks like you sky rocketed the learning curve in like no time, god knows where this will lead to. I'm hyped.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Dude, that vid with Nairo is so exciting. Compared to your first SSB4!Lucas vids it looks like you sky rocketed the learning curve in like no time, god knows where this will lead to. I'm hyped.
Thanks bro! I feel my powers returning! I just now need tourney and match up experience!

MrStardustRicon

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrStardustRicon
Pound certainly is going to be interesting to watch. Plenty of talent to level up off of from MU experience, and it'll be neat to see you come out of retirement Mekos.

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
I went back and fixed it. I was tired when I made the post pls forgive
Actually it may be correct according to the game, but it just looks so wrong.

I won't be getting to Mother 3 anytime soon, cause emulators are a hassle on a 10-yr old laptop, and there are more pressing matters. Like Pokken and Smash.

Last edited:

abx

Smash Journeyman
I made the mistake that I started with Mother 1 and now I have to either skip it or force myself to continue. Too oldschool for me.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
God, it's even more dead here than it was a few months ago.
Actually it may be correct according to the game, but it just looks so wrong.

I won't be getting to Mother 3 anytime soon, cause emulators are a hassle on a 10-yr old laptop, and there are more pressing matters. Like Pokken and Smash.
I have a 9 year old mid range laptop that runs Mother 3 perfectly fine. Unless you have a really old Pentium I think you should be fine?

Mother 1 is quite a nice play. Mechanics lean toward the traditional RPG but it proves just as quirky as its successors...

BornABrawler

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PokePK66
3DS FC
5284-1425-9696
I made the mistake that I started with Mother 1 and now I have to either skip it or force myself to continue. Too oldschool for me.
I gotta agree with you there. Mother 1 didn't age very well, and is especially noticeable when compared to the other Mother's. I haven't finished it myself, but it's mainly because I get lazy and then play Smash or whatever else is newer.

EmpireCrusher203

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-7161-9170
I gotta agree with you there. Mother 1 didn't age very well, and is especially noticeable when compared to the other Mother's. I haven't finished it myself, but it's mainly because I get lazy and then play Smash or whatever else is newer.

When I played through Mother, it was pretty boring. Luckily I had a guide with me, and without one you'll be stuck in the game for ever. However the game gets exciting towards the ends, much like Earthbound, and it had such a good plot I had to keep on going. If you do get to finish Mother, it will be completely worth the time you spent on it.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
We should really, but that needs to get sticked otherwise it kinda beats the purpose.

Have anyone of you guys fiddled around with Bidou?
We might actually gain some out of it without sacrificing anything because we should be B-sticking in the first place. My controller settings right now are L(SP) R(Sh) Z(Att) A(Att) B(Sp), x(Jump), Y(grab) C(SP)

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Maybe if someone makes it, a mod will sticky it like for the results thread?

I dont believe Bidou will be useful for Lucas. Lucas doesnt gain much from ground movement options or PPs. Dtilt is the only thing I would even think about using with. Utilt is unsafe in the neutral.

You can also "B stick" quite easily using default controls or a very slightly modified scheme. Bsticking lost most of its use since Brawl anyway. A simple SH back PKF is easier and usually just as safe, especially given good spacing.

Even PF and Mekos didnt Bstick during Brawl. FAE did, but the only use of Bstick was to do ATs consistently. On the rare occasion that Mekos wanted to Zap Jump, he just inputted it normally.

Last edited:

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
I've been using Bidou for the past couple of months. It's hard for me to articulate it, but I think it's good.

abx

Smash Journeyman
I wish that Bidou turns out to be trash. I hope it doesn't become as essential as wave dashing in Melee. I've watched the Smash Corner video and while I admit that's a fascinating aspect and all, but if this becomes part of the high-level basics, tournament games will look very arbitrary and weird.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
I know i'm a broken Bidou record but this combo alone might just be worthwhile.
N-air combo's into D-tilt at higher percentages and D-tilt goes into grab. But you can't do it if you cross-up people (Which you want because N-air isn't that safe) This isn't a issue with Bidou though because you can easily get a frame perfect turnaround D-tilt. So this meand that our risk-reward goes up with using N-air in the neutral. Also, we can use SH N-air near the ledge land behind them and use a frameperfect D-tilt into throw to kill with back throw which is stronger that F-throw.
If you're already using B-sticking you might want to give this a go. I have L on jump but I'm definitely considering this.

Last edited:

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
And I don't have enough triggers...

If we need a directory for important unstickied threads, we should probably just get those threads stickied.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Some threads are too minor to get stickied, but they can also be a useful resource.

Bidou for Lucas is mostly Dtilt stuff. Nothing else is honestly good. If you're completely comfy with the setup its fine, but otherwise i doubt its worth learning. Also if you want to Dtilt out of Nair, methinks you can probably just RAR it, which can be optimised with bidou, but I wouldnt change my controls so drastically for a few extra frames.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
But I wouldnt change my controls so drastically for a few extra frames.
You need those extra frames. N-air doesn't combo into D-tilt at lower percentages. It only combo's because your hitstun gets increased if your opponent has more damage. This means that if you're not frame perfect, it might not combo at all.

Mekos Mekos , You need to use PK-freeze in the neutral! Rosa can't absorb it and it will hit Luma even if she shields. This will force her to approach which she isn't that good at.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
You need those extra frames. N-air doesn't combo into D-tilt at lower percentages. It only combo's because your hitstun gets increased if your opponent has more damage. This means that if you're not frame perfect, it might not combo at all.

Mekos Mekos , You need to use PK-freeze in the neutral! Rosa can't absorb it and it will hit Luma even if she shields. This will force her to approach which she isn't that good at.
Yea, I realized that! Good stuff.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Do we have a Lucas discord?
https://discordapp.com/channels/104018382029877248/104018382029877248
Yes, I realise that. I'm saying that I, personally, wouldn't change my controls to Bidou for a situational (albeit rewarding) combo, especially if I could RAR Nair them anyway and probably buffer Dtilt during Nair landing lag. I'm pretty sure there are some who'd agree.

abx

Smash Journeyman

How would you it without getting punished hard? I've never figured out some proper usage for PK-Freeze except rare mix ups for racking up damage on juggled opponents.

Top Bottom