• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot tilts and other neutral options. HELP!

GrizzyBeer

Smash Cadet
So my recovery,edgeguarding and combo games are at the level i would expect them to be at after playing pikachu for 8 months or so my real problem is that I've never really learned to play in neutral so ive been dumping almost all of my training time into moving around stages and practicing various options.

My question: I dont exactly know how pivot tilts work. Ive tried looking up guides but they either dont explain well or dont have a visual I can use as an example. For instance im trying to pivot f-tilt ( i can never seem to get d-tilt) but im not sure if I'm doing it right. Can i only pivot out of dash or can it be applied to run as well? Ive been doing my pivot f-tilts by dashing run way, resetting the stick to neutral and than f tilting but i find i have to wait unitl the dash is done which feels slow.

For a more theory kinda question, I head that up angled f-tilt beats out fox nair and dair but does it beat out falco nair and dair as well? Also how do u get in on a marth spamming double fair, i try to throw out jolts to interrupt but still cant worm my way in.

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
GrizzyBeer GrizzyBeer up angled f-tilt beats out every move in the game besides puff back air, so yes. If marth tries to spam double fair you can just nair right through him between the two fairs. Or just punish his 10 frames landing lag with grap, upsmash, dtilt, etc. You can only pivot tilt out of dash, for run you just want crouch tilt instead. As for pivoting feeling slow, if you set your stick back to neutral quick enough you can act the next frame. You're probably just not doing it fast enough

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
you can only do it out of dash. you have to have the stick in the smash turn area (where the stick must be to dash) for 1 frame. you can do that however you want. gravy has an easier (imo) way to do it, which is to dash, press the other direction, then immediately hold down. you could also do true pivots and not just empty pivots to whatever you want (which is what i described earlier) by attacking in the one frame you're in turn without going into the rest of the turn animation but that's really hard.

pivot down tilt should be decent.

Last edited:

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
So my recovery,edgeguarding and combo games are at the level i would expect them to be at after playing pikachu for 8 months or so my real problem is that I've never really learned to play in neutral so ive been dumping almost all of my training time into moving around stages and practicing various options.

My question: I dont exactly know how pivot tilts work. Ive tried looking up guides but they either dont explain well or dont have a visual I can use as an example. For instance im trying to pivot f-tilt ( i can never seem to get d-tilt) but im not sure if I'm doing it right. Can i only pivot out of dash or can it be applied to run as well? Ive been doing my pivot f-tilts by dashing run way, resetting the stick to neutral and than f tilting but i find i have to wait unitl the dash is done which feels slow.

For a more theory kinda question, I head that up angled f-tilt beats out fox nair and dair but does it beat out falco nair and dair as well? Also how do u get in on a marth spamming double fair, i try to throw out jolts to interrupt but still cant worm my way in.
Pivot dtilt is the easiest one to do but I've done pivot ftilt by accident before and i dont think it should be impractically hard.

As for marths double fair wall, you can shield the first one then WD in to get a punish. Once you WD you have 7 frames to punish. You can nair or ftilt him before his second fair comes out. If youre low % you can CC the second fair and upsmash. You can also shield and then punish.

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
If you check the control stick map, there is a tiny region (around same width as shield drop?) where a dash in the other direction is input while being in the tilt attack zone instead of smash attack, so you can dash + pivot tilt without the need to time a stick release or something like that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom