• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot Grab

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
its good, use it!

D throw + run at them - they dodge X pivot grab near a ledge = ****(aka easier CSS)

hoenstly its the last thing seen coming from a DK player, I've put it into my game and it rocks socks

Tujex

Smash Ace
Ummm..how do you pivot grab? I've heard of this tech(Pivot/Pivot grab), but never used it....not even in Melee.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Ummm..how do you pivot grab? I've heard of this tech(Pivot/Pivot grab), but never used it....not even in Melee.
I don't think it was in Melee.. lol

2 ways:

-- (quickly input in that order)
[Run] > [grab]--[back]
[Run] > [back]--[grab]

For some characters, like Falcon, the order that you input it will make a difference, like one of them might make the momentum stop, then start a pivot grab, while the other one makes him slide far while grabbing.

It may or may not change anything for DK.

hoenstly its the last thing seen coming from a DK player
definitely didn't expect it in the DK boards lol.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
**** never thought o that. Are you referring to the cargo d-throw or normal d-throw? Both would seem to work equally. but yeah I gota try this. btw tujex, run forward then grab and press opposite direction, will pivot grab.

Roager

Smash Ace
For some characters, like Falcon, the order that you input it will make a difference, like one of them might make the momentum stop, then start a pivot grab, while the other one makes him slide far while grabbing.
I didn't think it mattered with the order. From how it was explained to me, it's based on whether or not you held backwards. If you held it, you'd slide while grabbing. If you just flicked it and back to rest, you'd pivot grab, but stand still.

But now I'm not so sure...

Tujex

Smash Ace
Pivot was in Melee. I heard it generally used by Marth players though moreso than anyone else.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
its good, use it!

D throw + run at them - they dodge X pivot grab near a ledge = ****(aka easier CSS)

hoenstly its the last thing seen coming from a DK player, I've put it into my game and it rocks socks
I've actually used this before. Pivot Grabbing is big in my game with any character.

KENYU

Smash Apprentice
The pivots really help me when I play. No one really expects it from a Donkey Kong so it's a good way to catch your opponent off guard. It also leads to an f-throw! WE LOVE F-THROWS.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
i will most definitely have to experiment with that, it definitely sounds like it has potential, imagine how beautiful this would be:
3... 2... 1... GO!

DK dtilt, grabs, 1 pummel, dthrow, ftilt (total dmg ~30%) pivot grabs to CSS

it looks beautiful in my head at least.

Ozzie23

Smash Cadet
OH MY GOSH, A KENAN AND KEL FAN?!?!? I thought my brother and I were the last one! I love that show man, I named my pet snake Kel. My favorite part from a show is when a guy is having dinner with Kenan's family and Kel and he's talking about how he got rich and Kel goes "I know. You bought a pet hyena, and then to impress your boss you taught him to do a little hyena dance! I bet it went like this. I'm a hyena! Cmon! I'm a hyeana! Yeah!"

Wow, I can't believe I found a Kenan and Kel fan...

i1337

Smash Ace
DK's pivot grab >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> running grab

also, play an amazing Dk and youll see what i mean and dont let cbk pivot grab you or its over.

MrMo

Smash Rookie
Would someone explain the timing for DK's bair-pivot grab combo? I was told this is done by grabbing on the first frame of the pivot following a bair. This is a great set-up for an up-cargo combo, especially against slippery players.

Thank you.

Update: I worked out the timing at 1/4 speed. By slightly tapping the joystick in the opposite direction, you can "grab from behind" just before making a complete turn, or on the first frame of the turn. If you move the joystick too far, you'll dash grab.

Last edited:

MrMo

Smash Rookie
DK's pivot grab >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> running grab

also, play an amazing Dk and youll see what i mean and dont let cbk pivot grab you or its over.
Yep. Another Milwaukee local plays DK like this and will KO characters like fox, falco, falcon and sheik at 0%. It's fun to watch: bair, pivot grab, up-cargo, headbutt, donkey punch

Last edited:
Top Bottom