• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot Grab range and height

CreamyFatone

Smash Cadet
Hey Bowsers,

I've been thinking about testing out which attacks Bowser can standing pivot grab, but I recall having mixed results in my tournament matches and I'm not confident in saying whether or not Bowser can actually outrange a lot of attacks with pivot grab and not get hit out of it.

I recall pivot grabbing a villager fading out into maximum slingshot distance, but when I test the range in training mode it doesn't seem quite that extreme. I feel like it has more to do with the way hurtboxes are shifted during aerials.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a better understanding of what kind of attacks Bowser can pivot grab, and maybe can confirm exactly how long and wide it is.

bushaheen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hamager
bowser has a long pivot grab and there you will usually grab people from their hurtbox shifting (for example you pivot grab a dk doing a back air you shouldnt grab him since he is too far but because he did the back air you grabbed his leg instead) so basically use bowser pivot grab when you p[predict them to attack with a move that extends their hurtbox.....oh and make sure the attack has no invincibility (but also keep in mind that not all moves that are invincible are invincible all the way through what i mean by that is for example bowser f-tilt is invincible in the fist part of it but not the wrist part of it and i think the invincibility ends during its end lag also)

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Yeah for a lot of moves (like dk's bair) I try to slightly delay the timing so I grab them after their hitbox isn't active anymore.

bushaheen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hamager
Yeah for a lot of moves (like dk's bair) I try to slightly delay the timing so I grab them after their hitbox isn't active anymore.
yea make sure you dont get hit since attacks beat grabs just try to out range his attack

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
When getting someone out of the air who's throwing a hitbox, Bowser's pivot grab is basically a whiff punish read based on judging an opponent's behavior and good spacing. Lots of characters don't really get punished for trying to zone with short hop aerials, and certainly aren't used to being punished while hitboxes are out.

As for which attacks can be pivoted, a lot of it depends on how good your spacing is. I've pivot grabbed Ikes out of their dash attacks, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's not that there are so many attacks that can never be pivoted (somewhere in startup, duration and endlag most attacks can be), it's that some require almost perfect spacing and aren't worth the risk. Unfortunately no one has written a guide yet for what is pivot grabbable and at what times, probably because there are so many contexts, and it's something you tend to learn by experience and some unfortunate trial and error.

Last edited:
Top Bottom