• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pitfall Harry Hunts for a Battle!

smash puffle

Smash Ace

Who's Pitfall Harry?
Pitfall Harry is the titular character from the 1982 adventure game Pitfall! originaly released on the Atari 2600 by Activision, and designed by David Crane.
The game was one the best selling, most iconic games of the console, with several sequels released right after.
The game also helped define the side-scrolling platformer genre of games back in the 80's.

Why should he be in Smash?
Pitfall is one of the most iconic games from the early 80's, making a big influence in the industry with it's innovative gameplay. Activision back then was one of the biggest publishers for the Atari 2600, one of the most influential consoles ever released, making Harry the perfect representative for the console.
I know that the Pitfall franchise is pretty much dead at this point, and that Activision might rather add Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon, or even someone from Overwatch, but Harry's addition might add yet another legacy character from a really ancient era of gaming like Pac-Man or Mr. Game & Watch, this time representing the oldschool Atari days.
Harry's been on various Nintendo platforms before, since the dreaded Super Pitfall on NES, to Pitfall: The Lost Expedition on GameCube and GBA, so he's no stranger when it comes to Nintendo appearances.

How would he play in Smash?
Harry is an explorer with various tools at his disposal. From his whip to shooting rocks, bombs and other jungle explorer type of things, specially from his more modern games.
He has some athletic traits since he mostly deals with exploring dungeons, swinging through vines and other stuff like that.
If he has to stand out more as a character though, his moveset would be a big massive reference to Activision's other games from the Atari, just like how Pac-Man does it. From using a helicopter backpack from H.E.R.O. to putting down bombs in Kaboom!, or his entrance being a plane from Barnstorming, this would make his moveset a lot more varied and interesting and being a big loveletter to the old Atari 2600 days, with the original Atari SFX and everything.

How to support:
You can tell you want to support him of course. That's enough for me. If you really want to though, you can come up with a moveset for him. Support icons and other misc stuff are welcome too.
Feel free to support Harry if you want to. As well you're also free to not support him, I will understand.
As well I would also appreciate if you were nice... just saying.

Stock Icons:

Supporter List:
Supporters so far:
smash puffle (me)
SEGAGameBoy
silenthunder
pupNapoleon

Thank you for reading and have a nice day! :)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, Harry did technically appear on a Nintendo console, although that was the dreadful Super Pitfall, and Harry’s design there is baffling. But hey, that’s a loophole!

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Well, Harry did technically appear on a Nintendo console, although that was the dreadful Super Pitfall, and Harry’s design there is baffling. But hey, that’s a loophole!
Well, that's not only his only Nintendo appereance actually.
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure came out for the SNES and GBA. There was also a Piftall game for the Game Boy Color. Pitfall: The Lost Expedition came out for GameCube, GBA and Wii as well, so it's not really a loophole...

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Wouldn't it be a gag to have his outdated sprite be a 3D model.
Like it would still have the same shape anatomy, but with a whole new dimension tacked on.
You mean, like Mega Man? His model was based of his NES sprite. There's not too much to work with with Harry's original sprite, though a mix between the sprite and his final design from The Lost Expedition, with of course a more modern level of polish because...

It is not the most polished design out there.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Knowing Activision It'd probably be reserved for DLC with each of the individual colors costing money

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey guys, if Crash gets in the Fighters Pass, do you think we could get a Pitfall Harry Mii Costume?
I don't know, Harry doesn't scream Mii Costume to me. He has a bit of a nondescript design.

Then again Gil of all people got one, so it could happen. I think Sakurai's the kind of guy to ask for him.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
This guy was referenced in ultimate alliance, I believe

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hey guys, if Crash gets in the Fighters Pass, do you think we could get a Pitfall Harry Mii Costume?
I could see him going for an ultra blocky Mii Brawler look, especially if the hat is just his 4-bit head.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Given the cultural significance... I support

Top Bottom