• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit/Dark Pit Jab Reset Guide (Updated on 8/6/15)

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
First of all, soz for the terrible 3DS quality, i only recently got a Wii U and I don't have a capture card.
If the video quality is really bad in this thread just click on the link above on the video player, it should take you to youtube where you can change it to a higher quality.
Also could someone link this to the Dark Pit thread as well ty.

Edit: Changed this thread into a pure Pit Jablock thread. I'll do the other stuff on different threads.

Link to the playlist of videos: http://youtu.be/DK0u1tkPN3A

Jablocks
Hopefully we all know how jab locks work. If not here's a vid explaining them. http://youtu.be/_ZJx5F0kTms

These jablocks and setups only work at low percents (preferrably 0%) I tend to use them instead of the usual boring old dthrow usmash/uair. It's also pretty darn stylish if you want to try it out in a tourney :3

Moves that jablock
Dair, Uair, Ftilt (Dark Pit only) and Guiding Arrow custom can all Jablock. Pit's jab does not jablock unfortunately. Interesting thing is that first hit of Usmash also jablocks.

Grounded Jablocks
Fthrow & Bthrow setup
Fthrow and Bthrow can lead into jablocks. Simple.

Ftilt (Dark Pit) Jablock
Dark pit's ftilt can jablock, the timing is pretty strict if you want to get the double ftilt. It jablocks regardless of whether you get the sweetspot or not (on most characters not named jigglypuff). If you find it difficult to land the double ftilt just do one. You need to pivot ftilt because you can't run up and ftilt. Pit's ftilt can't jablock. Well I guess there is a benefit to Dark pit having less knockback kappa.

Nair setup
The last hit of nair has the perfect knockback angle for setting up a jablock. The timing is also pretty easy, just sh nair straight after you jablock your opponent and you should get the last hit (if not just wait a millisecond). This won't work if you hit with other swings besides the last one even if it combos into the last one. Try to cross them over and hit with the back part of nair as not only does this allow you to continue the combo via not knocking them off the edge but also the frontal hit of nair sometimes knocks them too far.

Improvising (If you miss the jablock)
If you miss the jablock it will most likely send them upwards a little. You can improvise with pretty much anything here, jab, grab, usmash, etc. This isnt a true combo but your opponents only option is a nair or jab (if they land) and shield grabbing beats both of those options. They only have a few frames to react to this anyway so feel free to throw out an attack as they will most likely still be mashing the shield button and an airdodge is pointless in this situation. Usmash and jab will also most likely catch their jump. If they're really slow you may even pull of a footstool jablock.

Teching will not save your opponent
And before people say that this is useless since any good player will tech it....Not that anyone techs it anyway since nobody sees it coming. You have to time the dair right to catch their tech, like wait half a second; just enough that you will hit them and still autocancel dair. You can catch techs and tech rolls with dair so this is practically inescapable. If you spike them while on the ground, as long as you autocancel the dair you should be safe to attack or shield/dodge

Regardless of whether or not you miss the jablock or your opponent techs it they still get hurt and they get much more damage than usual 20% from dthrow usmash. e.g Fthrow > Dair > Dthrow > Usmash will do around 40% and is near inescapable.

Platform Jablocks
This is going to be a long one. I havent even covered everything. Platforms just open up a whole lot more options for pit. You can string alot of the following things together.

Dthrow/Dair > Dair Jablock
You can start this off using a dthrow (lower percents) or a non sweetspot dair (mid percents) (ill probably upload the dair setup later). Something to note is that if your dthrow/dair launches them close to the edge of the platform and you jablock them and then land right next to them you might push them off. In this case fall through and jablock them again (Ill try get a video of this up later too).

Fair > Dair Jablock
you can start fair from the air...
from the ground...
or even from a platform

So these ones are kind of specific. First, it only works at really low percents. Second, you have to hit with the last hit of fair (not too hard since fair only has 3 hits). The hit should make them slide off the platform into tumbling animation. At higher percents fair can lead into jablocks in other ways but i'll do that later.

Dthrow > Uair Jablock (Bottom Platform)
This one is really hard to get, uair can jablock only if you manage to hit using the first three hits. This setup would be impossible without platforms.

Utilt/Usmash/Uthrow > Uair Jablock (Top Platform)
I prefer using utilt because it has about the same knocback with less cooldown.

Dair > Dair Jablock
For this one you have to hit them with the sweetspot dair while they are at the edge of the platform then land right next to them pushing them off. Then fall through the platform and jablock them. This is really interesting because it covers their tech roll option (i.e teching to the left or right makes it alot easier to pull this off as they will be at the edge of the platform.) Also you can do this at the ledge of the stage if they use their normal get up option and as they tumble off you can follow them and spike/stagespike them which is a true combo (I'll try get videos of these up too)

For all of the platform jablocks involving dthrow/dair as a setup (from the ground), If you time the dair correctly not only will it autocancel but it will also catch an opponents tech and even tech rolls depending on the timing of everything. So if you miss the sweetspot for the jablock just follow up with another move as I did in some of the videos. Also if you catch their tech roll at the end of the animation AND with the sweetspot then it leads into the Dair > Dair Jablock (this is alot easier done if you read their tech roll and wait it out) if not just follow up the dair with a shield, usmash, grab, whatever because it will launch them up. Also the setups involving fair or dair can't be teched (i.e the fair/dair that make the opponent fall/slide off the platform not launch them up). (I'll probably make videos of catching techs on platforms later)

Footstool Jablocks
Self explanatory though it is character and percentage dependant.

Dthrow > Foostool > Dair Jablock
The timing is really strict for this to be inescapable, you have to practically be frame perfect, If that's too difficult you can always wait/bait out an opponents airdodge.

Dair > Footstool > Dair Jablock
You have to hit with the innermost part of the blade that isn't the sweetspot. So like, hit with the part of the blade right next to the sweetspot. Not only does this make it easier to land the footstool but it seems to have more hitstun (and knocback) as it sends them into a tumbling animation while the other parts of the blade don't (at lower percents that is).This is really hard if not impossible to do on fast fallers.

Dair > Footstool > Dair (No Jablock)
and here is to show what happens if you miss the jablock.

Next: Some more jablocks with different aerials, the videos I said I'd do and the Guiding Bow Custom jablock

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Great resource! If I may make a suggestion, the short video clips would be better suited as gifs, which can be produced at this website and linked using the media tag same as with videos. That's what I did on my side special research thread.

I'd also recommend exploring Pit's aerial arrows angled down as potential jab lock starters, maybe out of something like dthrow > fair (DI dependent; opponent must DI out) > dj arrow angled down (to start a jab lock). I haven't worked much with jab locks myself, but I've noticed that it has forced a similar situation on occasion. I could just be crazy, though, lol.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Great resource! If I may make a suggestion, the short video clips would be better suited as gifs, which can be produced at this website and linked using the media tag same as with videos. That's what I did on my side special research thread.

I'd also recommend exploring Pit's aerial arrows angled down as potential jab lock starters, maybe out of something like dthrow > fair (DI dependent; opponent must DI out) > dj arrow angled down (to start a jab lock). I haven't worked much with jab locks myself, but I've noticed that it has forced a similar situation on occasion. I could just be crazy, though, lol.
Haha believe it or not I was just about to ask you what you used to make the videos on your thread :p Thanks alot for that :)

Also, I already tried what you mentioned, Pit's normal arrows don't jablock (only guiding bow does) and fair does not have enough knockback to send them into tumbling animation unfortunately. I'll be posting some more on how to jab lock with platforms, guiding arrow custom and footstools later.

Last edited:

Dr. Snakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueDaBeast
3DS FC
4511-1428-9509
Yooo, that Double Ftilt Jab Lock setup is slick. I didn't even think of that. I was playing in a couple tourneys this weekend and I've found that not many people tech Pit's Fthrow. I hardly use the Bthrow, but it's probably in the same boat. I've been making myself use Dair more recently with amazing results, so next on my list is utilizing it for Jab Locks (and Ftilt for when I feel like using Pittoo).

Amazing guide.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Ok I edited the original post with some more jablock stuff just scroll down to these parts.

Footstool Jablocks
-Dthrow setups
-Dair setups

Platform Jablocks
-Dthrow Setups
-Dair Setups
-Fair Setups
-Uair Jablocks

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
You mind putting it all in a playlist and making a link in the OP? My browser doesn't like this many videos up at once.

Oh, and I think Nair might be a good candidate for setting up jablocks.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
You mind putting it all in a playlist and making a link in the OP? My browser doesn't like this many videos up at once.

Oh, and I think Nair might be a good candidate for setting up jablocks.
Sure, I'll put in all in a playlist and make a link! edit: Done

Nair doesn't jab reset unfortunately, there might be some hits in there that could possibly jab reset but it's either really really hard to land or doesnt exist. It's really good for setting them up though

Last edited:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
finally got one of these to work in a game lol. Seems like it took a long time but for some reason ever since I saw this thread, people have been teching the beginning of my jab locks, especially 0% forward throws

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
finally got one of these to work in a game lol. Seems like it took a long time but for some reason ever since I saw this thread, people have been teching the beginning of my jab locks, especially 0% forward throws
You can catch the techs and still punish them if you time dair right like i showed in the vids....Depends on character, fast fallers like falcon and fox have a really short window to tech this, You probably wont be able to use this on jiggs though lol

edit: @ Tito Maas Tito Maas Also it's nice to see people are actually using this stuff :)

Last edited:

GENIUS

Smash Rookie
You can also double Dair jab reset certain opponents.
You have to FH with a rising Dair and afterwards fastfall to another Dair.
If you do it right you can still finish it just like you would with a single SH Dair jab reset.

Here performed on Mario.

Do keep in mind however that this can't be performed on all characters like you theoretically can with a SH Dair.
This is because a FH Dair comes out higher above the ground, which makes it impossible to land on most skinny characters that don't put out a high enough hurtbox when they miss their tech. As an example this won't work on sheik, but will easily on captain falcon because he throws his legs high up when crashing.

To illustrate, here are his FH Dair vs his SH Dair. Compared to eachother it will probably be easier to see why certain characters won't be hit by a FH Dair, but every character can be hit by a SH Dair.

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
You can also double Dair jab reset certain opponents.
You have to FH with a rising Dair and afterwards fastfall to another Dair.
If you do it right you can still finish it just like you would with a single SH Dair jab reset.

Here performed on Mario.

Do keep in mind however that this can't be performed on all characters like you theoretically can with a SH Dair.
This is because a FH Dair comes out higher above the ground, which makes it impossible to land on most skinny characters that don't put out a high enough hurtbox when they miss their tech. As an example this won't work on sheik, but will easily on captain falcon because he throws his legs high up when crashing.

To illustrate, here are his FH Dair vs his SH Dair. Compared to eachother it will probably be easier to see why certain characters won't be hit by a FH Dair, but every character can be hit by a SH Dair.
Oh nice! You even got some vids to back you up! I actually got a double jab reset similiar to the one you showed but I dismissed it cuz it seemed inconsistent when I tried it out because the two characters I tested were bowser and shiek lol. I assumed it would only work consistently on really big chars but nice find seeing it works well on the smaller chars too! The thing is though when i did it I double sh jumped dair so it only worked on big characters, i never thought of abusing the extended hurtbox of a bouncing character to use full hop then fast fall dair. Really really nice find!! (I am holding back this insatiable urge to make a pun with your name right now :p)

edit: (You can actually land this on shiek but the timing is really strict). Also I doubt this catches techs so its like all or nothing lol. but if you do land it thats some ridiculous damage
fthrow = 10
dair = 10
dair = 10
followup......

Last edited:

GENIUS

Smash Rookie
Oh nice! You even got some vids to back you up! I actually got a double jab reset similiar to the one you showed but I dismissed it cuz it seemed inconsistent when I tried it out because the two characters I tested were bowser and shiek lol. I assumed it would only work consistently on really big chars but nice find seeing it works well on the smaller chars too! The thing is though when i did it I double sh jumped dair so it only worked on big characters, i never thought of abusing the extended hurtbox of a bouncing character to use full hop then fast fall dair. Really really nice find!! (I am holding back this insatiable urge to make a pun with your name right now :p)

edit: (You can actually land this on shiek but the timing is really strict). Also I doubt this catches techs so its like all or nothing lol. but if you do land it thats some ridiculous damage
fthrow = 10
dair = 10
dair = 10
followup......
Oh nice. Didn't got it to work on sheik.
And you can't catch techs with it indeed. At least I couldn't. On floaty characters that are able to jump before they hit the ground, fh dair could potentially give more follow-ups though.

And yeah. I usually only fh dair on heavy characters like bowser and ganondorf, because they have less time to react to tech.
Or when I notice my opponents missing their techs more often when I mix up my throws.

Last edited:

GENIUS

Smash Rookie
It's also possible to SH Dair to SH double Dair!
The timing is very strict though because you have to do the second SH Dair right after the first Dair ends (Dair lasts 37 frames).
If you SH too late you will end up on the ground with landing lag. (For the third Dair you don't have to fastfall, as opposed to FH double Dair).

What it looks like:

Most characters don't bounce up as much in jab resets compared to the bounce of a missed tech.
That combined with the fact that the second SH Dair is higher above the ground than the first, double SH Dairs are only possible on a select few characters.
I've tested it and got it to work on Bowser, Bowser Junior, Donkey Kong and ROB.
(I'm not entirely sure about King Dedede, Wario, Samus and Charizard. The first three because I could hit them with the second Dair, but it knocked them out of the jab reset. Could be that I simply didn't perform it well. Not sure about Charizard because his hurtbox is high enough, but he seems to stand up too fast to hit with the second Dair. A FH double Dair did work on Charizard though.)

In conclusion:
SH Dair
- 20% + follow-up
- Works on every character
- Tech chase possible
FH double Dair
- 30% + follow-up
- Doesn't work on every character (or at least very hard on characters with low hurtboxes when bouncing)
- Tech chase not possible
SH Dair
- 40% + follow-up
- Works on a select few (Bowser, Bowser Jr., DK, ROB)
- Tech chase possible

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
It's also possible to SH Dair to SH double Dair!
The timing is very strict though because you have to do the second SH Dair right after the first Dair ends (Dair lasts 37 frames).
If you SH too late you will end up on the ground with landing lag. (For the third Dair you don't have to fastfall, as opposed to FH double Dair).

What it looks like:

Most characters don't bounce up as much in jab resets compared to the bounce of a missed tech.
That combined with the fact that the second SH Dair is higher above the ground than the first, double SH Dairs are only possible on a select few characters.
I've tested it and got it to work on Bowser, Bowser Junior, Donkey Kong and ROB.
(I'm not entirely sure about King Dedede, Wario, Samus and Charizard. The first three because I could hit them with the second Dair, but it knocked them out of the jab reset. Could be that I simply didn't perform it well. Not sure about Charizard because his hurtbox is high enough, but he seems to stand up too fast to hit with the second Dair. A FH double Dair did work on Charizard though.)

In conclusion:
SH Dair
- 20% + follow-up
- Works on every character
- Tech chase possible
FH double Dair
- 30% + follow-up
- Doesn't work on every character (or at least very hard on characters with low hurtboxes when bouncing)
- Tech chase not possible
SH Dair
- 40% + follow-up
- Works on a select few (Bowser, Bowser Jr., DK, ROB)
- Tech chase possible
touché man, touché. The double dair was nice but the triple dair is crazy dude, nice finds!

GENIUS

Smash Rookie
touché man, touché. The double dair was nice but the triple dair is crazy dude, nice finds!
Feel free btw to add them to your list ;)
Wouldn't have found this without your vid's.

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Feel free btw to add them to your list ;)
Wouldn't have found this without your vid's.
Haha will do so (and I'll be sure to give proper credits to u too)

Hills

Smash Rookie
Is there a certain part of dair that jablocks, or is it all about timing? For example, with the dair > footstool > dair, what's causing it to jablock sometimes and not other times?
I was messing around with down tilt and a dair jablock is a possible follow-up (under the right circumstances), but I've only gotten it to work a couple times in training. It's not guaranteed by any means, and most players will probably jump instead of hitting the ground, but it seems like it could be a cool option if they don't.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Is there a certain part of dair that jablocks, or is it all about timing? For example, with the dair > footstool > dair, what's causing it to jablock sometimes and not other times?
I was messing around with down tilt and a dair jablock is a possible follow-up (under the right circumstances), but I've only gotten it to work a couple times in training. It's not guaranteed by any means, and most players will probably jump instead of hitting the ground, but it seems like it could be a cool option if they don't.
You have to hit with the sweetspot of the blade which is like at the center to jab reset, hitting anywhere else will launch them up

Yeah depending on their DI dtilt could lead to a jab reset (espectially on fast fallers like falcon)

Bluew

Smash Rookie
NNID
professorj97
3DS FC
1048-9764-9641
With Dark Pit its possible to F-Throw>Perfect Pivot>F-tilt against DDD and Captain Falcon. It jab locks and the game registers it as a true combo.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
With Dark Pit its possible to F-Throw>Perfect Pivot>F-tilt against DDD and Captain Falcon. It jab locks and the game registers it as a true combo.
Perfect pivot eh? Well I guess if you wanna style on your opponent haha.
Perfect pivoting hurts my fingers....:(

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
ReRaze ReRaze

Mind if I bump this thread? I've been researching and practicing your footstool and jab lock combos. One thing I'm having trouble with is DAiring a grounding opponent immediately after a footstool. It's like Pit is just slightly too high for the move to connect

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Also, against which characters do these work consistently on? Doesn't seem like characters that are as floaty as Ness can be trapped by these locks nor can characters who fall faster than say Ganondorf. Or am I just doing it wrong?

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
ReRaze ReRaze

Mind if I bump this thread? I've been researching and practicing your footstool and jab lock combos. One thing I'm having trouble with is DAiring a grounding opponent immediately after a footstool. It's like Pit is just slightly too high for the move to connect
lol I completely forgot about this thread.

Oh for grounded footstool dair it only works on some characters (but its worth learning imo since the reward is crazy and it works on alot of notable characters: Here's a list http://pastebin.com/0z44rgEp

Also, against which characters do these work consistently on? Doesn't seem like characters that are as floaty as Ness can be trapped by these locks nor can characters who fall faster than say Ganondorf. Or am I just doing it wrong?
For normal dair > footstool > dair lock It works fine on Ness and Ganondorf. A trick is to jump again immediately after you footstool to use your second midair jump (which is shorter than a footstool jump and cancels it out). Doing this is what lets you followup after the footstool on ganondorf who falls a little faster, on characters like marth who fall slowly you dont have to do this.

The only characters I cant footstool lock are the fastest of fallers like falcon and fox. Sheik for example is still possible.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Hm, guess I still have a lot of work to do. Thanks!

I'll probably be tagging you a few times over the next couple of weeks with questions
Dont worry about it~

Also you asked for videos about dair through platforms and other stuff in metagame, Ill get back to you with videos soon, can't right now because my smash copy is out of commision :/

Top Bottom