• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit 3.5 videos. Regaining faith in our hero

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
This thread is for 3.5 videos of pit whether it's for critiques or tricks you find. Whatever. It's time for everybody to start regaining hope and faith in our "fallen" angel.

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Yes! I've been waiting for you to post concerning 3.5 Pit. Since 3.5 came out I've switched to solo Pit to dual maining him with IC's. I don't have many good videos since most tournaments I go to either don't have streams or just have vids of me playing IC's.

These aren't great, but there the only footage I have right now. My biggest weakness is neutral and if anyone wants to give me tips I'd love any constructive criticism.

I use Pit in games 2 & 3 of this set. Starts at 5:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIqlxAgbwsI

And I use Pit in game 2 of this set. Starts at 4:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_St9cQ5hCc

I also have some doubles, but I figure those don't really need to be watched.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
Yes! I've been waiting for you to post concerning 3.5 Pit. Since 3.5 came out I've switched to solo Pit to dual maining him with IC's. I don't have many good videos since most tournaments I go to either don't have streams or just have vids of me playing IC's.

These aren't great, but there the only footage I have right now. My biggest weakness is neutral and if anyone wants to give me tips I'd love any constructive criticism.

I use Pit in games 2 & 3 of this set. Starts at 5:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIqlxAgbwsI

And I use Pit in game 2 of this set. Starts at 4:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_St9cQ5hCc

I also have some doubles, but I figure those don't really need to be watched.
Yeah I think a lot of ppl were waiting for me to say something about the new pit. I just stayed away from the boards for awhile just so I could form my own ideas about him. It's good to see u are still using him. But I'll def be more active again. Just not right now.gotta head to work.lol. But I'll check your matches out probably early tomorrow.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
I watched the first link.i noticed right at the beginning you used dash attack. Which is easily cced so be careful with that. 40 percent is around the safe percent to start using it. It will start to knock them over or pop them up.there was a few times when you got a little impatient on your tech chases after dthrow and u would dash attack at the wrong time while they were teching. The more patient u were the better your punishes were. Because there was a few times when u would get hella damage off one grab. U dropped a few off death strings which could be a bunch of fairs. At 6:25 in that first link u had such a nice string going and he bounced a little off stage and you just kinda jumped with him and didn't attack. It might have been a missed input but I was so excited (cause I get really excited about pit combos) and then it was gone. And also if they don't di away and down on your dthrow then it's a free regrab on like everyone except spacies and falcon. Or u can up smash or whatever u feel like doing. And I know u know because I saw you do it a few times. And be careful spacing your aerials. You had a few that were really risky. You did a dair that was not spaced so well at 7:45 and he grabbed you. And you got punished super hard for it. I think you actually died from it. But my favorite thing and I saw you do It a bunch was when you were trying to get back to the ground and you would throw out a bair behind you.i do It all the time too and people always run into it.lol.and you have to be careful using all your jumps and glide while recovering. Because if they hit you out of that then you are pretty much dead. I try to just use all my jumps and up b to recover. And use my glide as a last resort in case I get hit. It's ok sometimes if you are high up and the other character isn't quick enough to catch u. And don't forget u can cancel your glide and air dodge just to make sure to land on a platform or something. But your pit was looking good. Sometimes you dash danced a little too close but it's the right idea cause pit has a super good dash dance. And your arrows were on point. I think you just need to trust yourself a little more. Seemed like you would second guess yourself a lot. And thanks for putting videos up. Just watching your videos will definitely make me better as well.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
If u watch mine and see anything you notice feel free to put. Or ask questions. Any critiques. Whatever u want. We are all here to freaking learn

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Thanks a ton! Yeah, I didn't even realize how impatient I was getting with my tech chasing, thanks for pointing that out. Spacing aerials is also something I'm trying to get better at. Usually I try to cross-up their shield with dair, and if I think they're going to try to punish me with something I'll throw out usmash which will punish almost every aerial retaliation. And yeah, at 6:25 I actually went for footstool (lol). Definitely should have gone for fair there. I usually try to save footstool for when they're right below me when we're both offstage as I don't know what other attack to use in that situation (or after a dthrow near ledge on spacies).

And yeah, I'm definitely going to give your videos another watch and see what I can find.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
Ok.lol. Footstool definitely makes sense now. Cause I never hit my footstools and that is exactly how it looks.lol

Sylnic

Smash Cadet
Armada was playing some Pit at Beast 5 earlier. You can find the matches here around 34:46. Unfortunately this was (supposedly) his first time playing Pit since 3.02, and you could tell he wasn't fully comfortable with the changes. He went all Fox in later matches.

Last edited:

AnEnemyMongoose

Smash Cadet
I don't have a video (and so, this is kinda off topic), but this is a question for you, 5-1:

Do you use z-air/glide attack? I notice nobody I've seen really uses it. ZeRo doesn't, Armada didn't, so is it useless?

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Here is a set that I played at the S@X monthly yesterday. Check it out and I would love some tips.
http://www.twitch.tv/chillindude/v/3873480?t=6h22m54s
Finally got around to watching this, and duuuuudeeeee. Goooood stuff. I'm a fan of that Pit. I've always had a personal problem with the Link v Pit matchup, and it's nice seeing someone that seems to be around the same skill level as me conquer it. Movement looked good, wd oos punishes looked good, strings were great. There were definitely things I learned watching this.

The only critiques I can give (which is stuff I'm assuming you realize yourself) is in the first game, you went for the same option on dthrow tech chase the first few times. It got better as the set progressed though. Just keep up the practice on those chases. Second, don't use dsmash for every open punish. It was probably just muscle memory kicking in, but you used dsmash on a lot of whiffed Link grabs and other situations, where either grab into some aerial string or a killing u-smash might've taken the stock. Dsmash didn't quite have the same strength of punish. And last, dsmash is really risky in neutral, especially against tether characters. Even when it hit Link's shield and pushed him back, tether was able to reach you for the punish. Other players could also probably just wd oos and punish you for it. And if someone sidesteps dsmash they have all day to do a really hard punish on you. So just be a little more careful with that move. There were a lot of times I saw you use it when you had a grab opportunity as well (although you may prefer dsmash to grab, so that's a preference thing).

Please let us know if you have any more vids, I'd love to watch them.

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Here's probably the most fun match I've ever played in tournament. It's me vs one of my training partners, Gato. He usually goes G&W against me which makes me switch to IC's. That match is kinda long and boring, though, so while he almost always wins that matchup against me, we decided we'd play Pit v Falcon because we always have way more fun with that in friendlies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsEkSKnv82g

Unfortunately, this video was corrupted, so there are dropped frames throughout the set, but you shouldn't have too much trouble watching it.

Scizor44

Smash Rookie
Finally got around to watching this, and duuuuudeeeee. Goooood stuff. I'm a fan of that Pit. I've always had a personal problem with the Link v Pit matchup, and it's nice seeing someone that seems to be around the same skill level as me conquer it. Movement looked good, wd oos punishes looked good, strings were great. There were definitely things I learned watching this.

The only critiques I can give (which is stuff I'm assuming you realize yourself) is in the first game, you went for the same option on dthrow tech chase the first few times. It got better as the set progressed though. Just keep up the practice on those chases. Second, don't use dsmash for every open punish. It was probably just muscle memory kicking in, but you used dsmash on a lot of whiffed Link grabs and other situations, where either grab into some aerial string or a killing u-smash might've taken the stock. Dsmash didn't quite have the same strength of punish. And last, dsmash is really risky in neutral, especially against tether characters. Even when it hit Link's shield and pushed him back, tether was able to reach you for the punish. Other players could also probably just wd oos and punish you for it. And if someone sidesteps dsmash they have all day to do a really hard punish on you. So just be a little more careful with that move. There were a lot of times I saw you use it when you had a grab opportunity as well (although you may prefer dsmash to grab, so that's a preference thing).

Please let us know if you have any more vids, I'd love to watch them.
Hey man thanks for the critique! I'm watching my match and realizing that you are right that I use down smash way too much. Dtilt is probably better for mid percent punishes. Up Smash is probably best for high percent, so what do you suggest for low percent punishes?
Anyways, I will watch your video when I have time later to put in my critique, and probably will join the Skype group (if it's still active) once school things calm down a bit (I'm kind of busy right now).
Unfortunately I don't have any more videos because I never go to tournaments because I don't have time or my license, but hopefully I can start heading down to Xanadu this summer when I get it.

Gooz

Smash Rookie
10: https://youtu.be/s3GzSb88Y68
This is me (in red) at our local biweekly in north louisiana. Not the cleanest set but it was hard fought. I got a little grab heavy and fell for the same cc down b yoshi trap 100 times, but give it a watch and let me know what u think. Also super armor is not fun for trying to combo with pit ha

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
This is me (in red) at our local biweekly in north louisiana. Not the cleanest set but it was hard fought. I got a little grab heavy and fell for the same cc down b yoshi trap 100 times, but give it a watch and let me know what u think. Also super armor is not fun for trying to combo with pit ha
After my exams I'm gonna sit down and watch this again. I'd like to give my thoughts. Unfortunately, I suuuuck against Yoshi and have a hard time giving help with extending combos and such against him cause his weight/super armor. But clutch win dude. Let me know if you get any more recorded.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Man, you have any idea how many different variants of beginners I've tested just to get back the offstage fair train combos @ Calabrel Calabrel ? Thanks for the gfys, now to get cracking.

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
Last edited:

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
Subtractive armor. Not super. Please.
I noticed that a lot of times you would shoot arrows at him when a normal edge guard or attack would have resulted in a kill or continued string. Be aware of when arrows are the better option and when they aren't.
Also, if you ever play that Yoshi again, clock him in the face for me. He has literally no neutral. Just kinda crouched and threw out random-ass DJC fairs. I saw him DJC into eggroll at least twice when above you. That's literally the worst choice he could've made. Punish that garbage. When Yoshi eggrolls and hasn't hit the ground yet, he loses his jump. Slap him out of that unsafe *********** of a strategy and carry him off the ledge to a stock with fairs.
Also, jump cancel your dash grabs. It works wonders, man.
Best of luck o/

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132

Gallo pulled out Pit again recently. Seeing as this thread is barren I thought it would be good to bring some life to it.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Ayyy if someone could give me some advice on my pit that'd be dopeee
https://youtu.be/dF9wPK1O1-U

My pits first bracket, really enjoy the character but some stuff is super fresh. I started out super strong then struggled to find kills and got bopped. What combo trees should I go for instead of what I picked? Kinda regret going for upair upBs on dk, will never kill lol.

Edit: I was really scared to cross up DK from previous sets vs C4 as diddy where he would up-b OoS on reaction and punish each one, I hit the front of his shield too much. I thought I played decently well but got caught with bad positioning and unable to get kills

Pick me apart please <3

Last edited:

Smash John

Smash Apprentice
That looked pretty legit for a first bracket.

The biggest thing i noticed was several attempts at recovering on-stage when he was giving you the ledge (@0:49, 1:48). Even if you had landed, Pit's upB has a wonderful 40 frames landing recovery. I would love to see more of just gliding to the ledge into ledgedash. It's got a super lenient grab box

As for kills, specifically on DK, vertical juggles and kills are probably your best bet (barring dair spikes) due to semi-floaty and heavy as hell. Be lame with your uair juggles and practice soft uair into sweetspot upB. I'd also suggest counterpicking a stage with either a lower ceiling or consistent platforms (or both)

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
Ayyy if someone could give me some advice on my pit that'd be dopeee
https://youtu.be/dF9wPK1O1-U

My pits first bracket, really enjoy the character but some stuff is super fresh. I started out super strong then struggled to find kills and got bopped. What combo trees should I go for instead of what I picked? Kinda regret going for upair upBs on dk, will never kill lol.

Edit: I was really scared to cross up DK from previous sets vs C4 as diddy where he would up-b OoS on reaction and punish each one, I hit the front of his shield too much. I thought I played decently well but got caught with bad positioning and unable to get kills

Pick me apart please <3
It seemed like you were very impatient the entire set. The very first stock of the first game where you steamrolled him, that was due to patience in neutral. You waited, backed off and grabbed him to begin techchasing, into combos, into eventually closing the stock. On that, for DK you either want to get him a little higher before up-b, or go for a bair. There were several times you could've extended the combo a little more but opted to end it early. There were also times where you definitely had a kill or combo or something similar up for grabs, but threw it away by up-bing too early. Keep an eye out for that, it's probably one of the hardest things about Pit; knowing when to finish your combos, since he's got so many options in any situation.

There were also issues with arrows. You very rarely used them and, when you did, you often missed. Sometimes you tried to curve them, other times it looks like you just shot the arrow for funsies and left it at that. That just takes practice. Every arrow you shoot needs to either be flying straight at them or acting as a mental deterrent against being aggressive in order to allow you to take advantage. For instance, if you consistently loop arrows in neutral, just a basic loop around yourself and then back along the ground to go straight at them (maybe more advanced loops involving looping around behind them if you feel like really freaking them out), then they begin to see every arrow you shoot, regardless of where it goes, as a threat. This helps divert their attention, often leading to moments where you can curve and arrow off screen and just run at them and they'll stay in shield, expecting an arrow, only to get grabbed. Arrows are insane in this aspect. You can mix up looping and not looping, changing up the timing at which they have to shield. This forces the opponent to react to each arrow individually, and since they're fairly fast, this usually means that the second you pull out the bow, they begin to try to react by shielding or dodging or something of the sort. Also, they work well in neutral just as a poking tool. Unless you're all the way across Smashville, though, it could be dangerous against DK since he's pretty quick. By using them intelligently, though, you can really bother him. A mix of arrows, dash dancing, and baiting will end DK's life pretty nicely.

As a whole, you just gotta be more patient, practice your combo game, and work on higher-level arrow things. Being able to loop them is a good first step, but to know when to loop them and in what way while also being fully aware of their mental effects is vastly important.

Also, what Smash John said about recovering is also very valid and very important. You seemed impatient while gliding as well. Don't be afraid to glide a little longer and simply get to the edge via your wings. Like the picture he attached, the grab box is kind of insane, so you can sweet spot it with very little trouble. There were several times, I'm sure you noticed, where you up-bed incredibly early for little to no reason while recovering. Landing up-b on the stage should be a last resort, since like Smash John said it has 40 frames of landing lag. It's as if the opponent is punishing a tether recovery after edgehogging it: they've got all the time in the world. There can be merits to up-bing early, but the situations are very rare. For instance, if someone's right on top of you off the stage and is going to gimp you, up-bing to either get them off of you or just get out of that bad position is reasonable. Also, regarding juggling DK: DK has pretty much no fast downward option. Up-airing him, if you can get there in time, is a very easy option. Don't be afraid to up-air him like 6-7 times in a row if you can, there's not much he can do except DI, in which case you can turn around with your jumps to mix up the direction in which he has to go to get out.

Anyways, I've been rambling too long. Generally, it wasn't too bad, but there's definitely those things you need to work on. Glad to see that others are picking up Pit, though. Keep it up!

Last edited:
Top Bottom