• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Pirate Ship: Stage Research

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
A returning stage from Brawl. Is it just me, or did it get a visual facelift? Maybe it's just the HD...

Credit to Mr. Johan Mr. Johan for filling in some gaps and correcting some errors in this thread.

Previously Covered
Super Mario Maker
Hyrule Castle (64)
Peach's Castle (64)
Miiverse
Suzaku Castle
Dream Land (64)
Final Destination & Ω Forms
PAC-LAND
75M
Skyworld
Flat Zone X
The Great Cave Offensive
Onett
Palutena's Temple
Yoshi's Island
Wily Castle
Gaur Plain
Pyrosphere
Temple
Mario Circuit (Brawl)
Boxing Ring
Port Town Aero Dive
Bridge of Eldin
Pilotwings
Jungle Hijinxs
Wrecking Crew
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 2
Big Battlefield
Battlefield
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege
Town & City
Duck Hunt
Delfino Plaza
Kalos Pokemon League
Mario Galaxy
Coliseum
Gamer
Wii Fit Studio
Kongo Jungle 64
Windy Hill Zone
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Orbital Gate Assault
Woolly World
Skyloft
Garden of Hope
Mushroom Kingdom U
Wuhu Island
Mario Circuit

Layout
Pirate Ship's layout is pretty simple. Players fight on a ship with two platforms over the middle. The bow and stern both have grabbable ledges, while the bowsprit (the wooden plank on the left with the dragon carving underneath) can be jumped through from below. The ship sails along the water, so players cannot fall to their death normally, although they can still be meteor smashed for a KO with sufficient force.

Players 1 and 2 start on opposite ends of the ship. Players 3 and 4 start on the two platforms in the middle. The Omega form floats over a void.

The Pirate Ship encounters a number of hazards as it sails.

Tetra's pirate ship. Detritus floats by in the background and islands are visible in the distance.

The Great Sea
First, the ship itself serves as a hazard. Touching the bow will deal 20% damage with a powerful meteor smash effect for an instant KO. The stern is not dangerous in this manner and players who end up sufficiently deep underwater can use this to remain out of reach of most characters.

As the ship sails along, a number of other hazards appear to annoy the players and give them something to think about. These are detailed below.

Name|Picture|Notes
Catapult|
|Emerges from a hatch on the ship and fires shortly afterward, flinging players standing on top of or adjacent to it. Normally launches players forward, toward the front of the ship, but standing behind it results in getting launched backwards. Does no damage and fixed knockback, and can also be shielded. Shows frequently, with 5-10 seconds between each appearance. Will not appear in conjunction with the Lookout Platforms, Rock, or Cyclone.
King of Red Lions|
|The King of Red Lions sometimes sails up behind the ship without fanfare before leaving just as quietly. If players are not nearby, it's possible for it to come and go with no one noticing. It sticks around for about 15 seconds. While present, it serves as an additional place to stand and fight.
Lookout Platform|
|A raised platform in the distance with cannons mounted around the edge notices the ship and opens fire. The bombs it shoots out do 35% damage with fixed knockback and cannot kill player even at 999%. It fires a total of 4 shots before the ship sails past. While the bombs are highly visible in flight, it's tricky to figure out where they'll hit since the ship's constant forward motion must be taken into account. Sometimes the bombs land in the water, but the splash is still dangerous. Bombs can be dodged and shielded with good timing.
Rock|
|A small chime sounds and a speech bubble with an exclamation point appears over the left side of the boat about 5 seconds before it strikes a large rock. For the next 10 seconds the boat becomes stuck in a near-vertical position with the stern submerged in the sea. The rock then sinks and the boat continues on. While the boat is moving around, the keel deals 10% damage on contact with set knockback. Being caught between the boat and rock as it rights itself is also dangerous. The rock itself is solid and players can fight on it.
Cyclone|
|As the boat sails along, the sky sometimes turns gray and stormy. Occasionally, the weather worsens further and it starts raining, which produces a cyclone that lifts the ship into the sky. The ship then falls back down into the sea, the weather clears, and it sails on. While the ship is falling, gravity is weakened. Players can swim again once the ship lands back in the water.

Summary
  • Bow does 20% and meteor smashes for an instant KO.
  • Catapult flings players around, no damage.
  • King of Red Lions comes and goes.
  • Cannon fire does 35% damage, fixed knockback.
  • Rock makes boat capsize.
  • Cyclone lifts boat into air, weak gravity as it falls.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Can you still get crushed by getting caught between the ship and the rock?

...Not that it'll be legal either way. :p
Didn't think to check that. I'll test it later maybe, I need to get to bed soon. (Or if someone else feels like doing it they're free to do so. I give credit!)

Another thing I forgot to check: Is the rock a walkoff? I assume yes but verification never hurts.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Didn't think to check that. I'll test it later maybe, I need to get to bed soon. (Or if someone else feels like doing it they're free to do so. I give credit!)

Another thing I forgot to check: Is the rock a walkoff? I assume yes but verification never hurts.
I'd tell ya but I don't own it yet. :p

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Are bombs that hit the water truly harmless? They weren't in Brawl, from what I remember. The splash created was still a hitbox as it first appeared and hit about as hard as the bombs normally do, although from what I recall they didn't deal fire/explosive damage.

Also, I've not tested myself as I haven't been on the game like… at all today, but in Brawl gravity was intensified as the ship was rising from the cyclone.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Are bombs that hit the water truly harmless? They weren't in Brawl, from what I remember. The splash created was still a hitbox as it first appeared and hit about as hard as the bombs normally do, although from what I recall they didn't deal fire/explosive damage.

Also, I've not tested myself as I haven't been on the game like… at all today, but in Brawl gravity was intensified as the ship was rising from the cyclone.
In my defense it's nearly 11 and I should really be asleep right now. I'll revisit it later (probably not tomorrow, Friday maybe) but in the meantime if anyone wants to look into it and earn a mention in the OP, be my guest.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
- The rock is not a walkoff. The size of the blastzone remains the same, so the rock just serves as solid ground where the water would usually be. As such it can net early-than-usual kills if someone is thrown at the edge of the rock.

- Bombs that miss the boat and hit the water do deal damage if you are near the water geyser that comes up when it hits the water. They cause the same damage as normal.

- Shielding the catapult saves you from the lunge, and it does no shield damage or shieldstun if you do so.

- Hitting the bow of the ship while swimming is an instant KO, like in Brawl. Same holds true if you find yourself underneath the ship when it lands back in the water after the cyclone hurled it in the sky.

- Heavy gravity is not implemented as the ship is going up the cyclone.

-You do not count as being in the water until the ship hits the water. So it is possible to get KO'd regularly off the bottom blastzone as the boat is in the air, even if you would be swimming at that moment.

- Unless the bomb aims directly at the center of the boat, by which point you'd be able to tell and get out of the way, you can typically avoid the bombs by standing on the second tier of the mast (the lowest one). Seems to be a general rule of thumb that the bombs target 7 specific areas: The water in front of the boat, the bow, the ramp on the left side, the center of the ship, the ramp on the right side, the back of the boat and the water behind the boat.

- The rock has a tiny lip at the bottom right corner where the boat settles. If your character is on that lip when the boat capsizes, you take damage from the boat, ricochet off the rock, and get Star KO'd.

- If you contact the ship's underside as it's going up the rock after that initial lip, or as its sinking down the rock as it settles (not when the rock disappears), you'll take 10% with set, flinching knockback.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Also, thanks to RED, we know that infinite stalling on the stage is now possible, at least with Ganondorf. Well, not infinite, as the Tornado stops it, but yeah.

From what I've heard/remember, this was not possible in Brawl.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
This was relevant in Brawl, and now this video is relevant to Sm4sh!

I'm proud of discovering rudder stalling years ago :,)

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
This stage is amazing if people take their time to learn it.
Which means it will never happen.
:196:

Also, the correct name of the underside of the ship would be "keel"

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
That one looks ridiculously circumstantial and not likely to happen.
A hotfix would be nice tho
:196:

BlueWing

Smash Rookie
Ok so you know the DLC stage pirate ship well i'll give you the pro's and cons about the stage and a lot of reason's why it should be legal Pros: 1. Great platform the Ship is really good it's kinda of like a final destination. (2. If Hazards Are Happening either 1. go to King Of Red Lions (If He is There) And Fight There 2. Go On To The platforms.) 3. It's great for platform combos and good for zoners. 4. The Tornado Hazard Is Great For Combos Since It's Poor Gravity Helps You A Lot More. Cons: 1. 0% Kill Under The Ship 2. Bomb Hazards They Don't Kill You That Easilly But They Do Give You A lot Of Damage. 3. The Rock Hazard (But I Think It's A Good Hazard) So These Are Some Good And Bad Reason's On Why It Should Be Legal The Good Reason's I Think Are Good Enough For A Legal Stage Just People Need To Adjust To The Stage And They'll Get Better In No Time! By: BlueWaker

Last edited:

BlueWing

Smash Rookie
I forgot to add the flick thing on the ship it doesn't kill you at low percents at least if you DI correctly even if you don't DI you'll still make it. Hey but this is my opinion and i'm glad to see so many responses from your opinions as well!

BlueWing

Smash Rookie
I also found out this stage was legal back then in brawl sucks it's not legal we don't have one single legal zelda stage lol

Top Bottom