• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Piracy, what can we do to fight it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodiac

Smash Master
People put a lot of hard work into things like movies, cd's, video games and other software. Only to have someone make a torrent of it an put it on a torrent hosting site so thousands and in some cases millions (Call of duty 4) can download (Steal) it and use them for free. Im not part of any anti piracy organization or anything like that, and I wont go turning in people that are pirating but I do feel like its gotten severely out of hand and that people like us (Im assuming) who play the games, watch the movies and use the software should do something about it. It wont put the movies out of business but it will prevent some future movies from being made. it wont put nintendo or sony out of business, but it will prevent some future games from being made.

In short, what are you're idea's, or information on fighting piracy?

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Science!
Technology!
Programming!
Intellectual property!
Heart!

By our powers combined, he is... AltF4!

Mic Edit: +Rep Goldie!

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Your dreaming if you think piracy is ever going to go away.The only thing to do is accept it and move on I guess.

Those companies make enough money to cover their losses.

Everybody loves free stuff anyway so it's all good.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
I don't pirate new games, I only pirate older games.

As for music, I don't always download entire albums. Maybe just one or two songs from said album.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Your dreaming if you think piracy is ever going to go away.The only thing to do is accept it and move on I guess.

Those companies make enough money to cover their losses.

Everybody loves free stuff anyway so it's all good.
No, it wont ever go away, cause everyone loves free stuff, but seriously. Even if we DO pirate shouldnt we be limiting the stuff we pirate to things that dont really get bought anymore? Not that thats not wrong either, but like you said it wont go away. And like I said before if piracy continues to go out of control like it is then a lot of the companies that make the things we like MIGHT go out of business, they will most certainty not have as big of a budget on their next project had their software not been pirated.

And lol mic128

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
People put a lot of hard work into things like movies, cd's, video games and other software. Only to have someone make a torrent of it an put it on a torrent hosting site so thousands and in some cases millions (Call of duty 4) can download (Steal) it and use them for free. Im not part of any anti piracy organization or anything like that, and I wont go turning in people that are pirating but I do feel like its gotten severely out of hand and that people like us (Im assuming) who play the games, watch the movies and use the software should do something about it. It wont put the movies out of business but it will prevent some future movies from being made. it wont put nintendo or sony out of business, but it will prevent some future games from being made.

In short, what are you're idea's, or information on fighting piracy?
Unless it's like trying to figure out mechanics in games and said hacking will ruin your real game, I'm all for it.

Although if it's just to download the ROM and play it on your cartridge just for fun, that's where I draw the line. Usually, if I ever do any of this kind of stuff, it's just to test out glitches that could ruin my real game and what not...

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I download my songs legally too, mostly because I was sick and tired of getting stupid remixes or crappy quality songs when I could get a fantastic quality song if I dug deep and spent a whole 65p for it. And torrents don't work on my computer.

Anyway this is like the golden time for stealing on the internet. In the future the restrictions will be much tougher, they're already begining to strengthen.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I have no need to get music illegally because my dad's CD collection is filled of 1000+ albums

I can literally find any band I want in there :)

BBQTV

Smash Master

this thread is doing it wrong. piracy is ok when your doing it for great justice

Mewter

Smash Master
That would awesome if someone made an entire thread detailing this stuff for like, 50+ pages. My gosh!
Some people like to keep their black skull-adorned hats.

This inevitably brings the question of who is better?
Pirates or ninjas?

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Piracy will always occur, if you can't beat em join em, or just let them be.
This inevitably brings the question of who is better?
Pirates or ninjas?
Ninjas no contest.
Pirates have missing limbs replaced with wooden pegs/hooks, poor hygiene leading to health problems, SCUURVYY!
Ninjas are stealthy assassins trained in the art of killing.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Ninjas beat Pirates since they have the advantage in the weapon triangle, but Pirates end up being more useful in the campaign. :bee:

BBQTV

Smash Master
Piracy will always occur, if you can't beat em join em, or just let them be.
Ninjas no contest.
Pirates have missing limbs replaced with wooden pegs/hooks, poor hygiene leading to health problems, SCUURVYY!
Ninjas are stealthy assassins trained in the art of killing.
dont be talking bad abot pirates

they might just find you

Smash Master
If you are being serious, read Alt's thread about Piracy in the Debate Hall.

Information can't be stolen. It can only be copied. When you create a copy of information, you create capital, creating a higher average standard of living. This is just. IMO, information is a public good and should be treated as such (with government involvement.) Having people trying to make a profit selling 0s and 1s is like trying to make a profit selling air.

Again, read Alt's thread or at least the OP. It goes into a ton of detail and prolly refutes a lot of your anti-piracy arguments. I was on the fence before reading it.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Then again people are spending their time and effort to make that music, why do people think it's ok to steal everything that person has created "because they can"? This is a capitalist society, not a magical fun time one where most people do things for free.

Spank That Dill

Smash Journeyman
If you are being serious, read Alt's thread about Piracy in the Debate Hall.

Information can't be stolen. It can only be copied. When you create a copy of information, you create capital, creating a higher average standard of living. This is just. IMO, information is a public good and should be treated as such (with government involvement.) Having people trying to make a profit selling 0s and 1s is like trying to make a profit selling air.

Again, read Alt's thread or at least the OP. It goes into a ton of detail and prolly refutes a lot of your anti-piracy arguments. I was on the fence before reading it.
Well, the current definition of stealing includes copying, hence copyright. I mean, I'm not saying I don't pirate my share of stuff, it's just that copying is still stealing by today's standards.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Meh.. I've downloaded songs that I've heard on the radio, then bought the album.

People are worried about it ruining the industry, but as far as I'm concerned, if you're big enough for people to want to pirate your stuff, you don't need the money.

Zodiac

Smash Master
So basically this thread tells me its alright to steal things..

Smash Master
For ****s sake, it's not stealing. If I see you make a PB&J, and I'm all "Wow, that looks really good, lemme buy some bread, peanut butter, and jelly from the store and make my own sandwich," and then I proceed to do so, is that stealing? Of course not. You still have your ****ing sandwich. Just like the developers still have their game. Notice how when you actually steal something, the owner loses that thing. That's what stealing is. Copying information and stealing aren't even morally comparable. What you're suggesting is that everytime I want to have a PB&J, I should buy one from you for whatever price you decide to charge or go wanting.

Please read this, I don't want to repeat myself: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=214870

Pluvia, there's a lot of ways to make money without charging for your main product. Look at Google. Look at artists who work on commission or digital tips. My personal suggestion would be to have the govt. take over the information business and treat it like every other public good (roads, schools, military), since that's one of the reasons govt. exists.

Everything I just typed is in the OP, so please just read that. AltF4 spent a lot of time on it and it's high quality.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
That metaphor doesn't work for this situation at all.

It's like if your friend buys a game and you go over to his house and play it and think "Wow this is awesome!". Instead of spending money on it, you decide to download it for free. That's stealing.

You can go and make your own game similar to it and play it for free, but taking something that you have to pay for, without permission, is stealing.

Smash Master
Well you are making it, in the same sense that you are making your own PB&J. The ingredients are your computer.

Taking is stealing. Copying is not.

I take it you haven't read the OP. You can skim over the irrelevant parts for this discussion. The important sections are the ones on ownership and pirating.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
No the ingredients aren't your computer, that's the device you're using for stealing.

It's like say hypothetically you have a machine that can replicate anything. Your next door neighbour spends his time making cars and decides he wants to sell them for money. You notice his cars and think "Wow that looks awesome!" and use your replicator to copy it. Your then start copying loads of them and start sharing them with the world for free.

That's stealing.

BBQTV

Smash Master
i haven't red the whole thing yet but its very informative and a very good read

Smash Master
No the ingredients aren't your computer, that's the device you're using for stealing.

It's like say hypothetically you have a machine that can replicate anything. Your next door neighbour spends his time making cars and decides he wants to sell them for money. You notice his cars and think "Wow that looks awesome!" and use your replicator to copy it. Your then start copying loads of them and start sharing them with the world for free.

That's stealing.
Your neighbor is an idiot for trying to sell something as scarce as air.

Imagine if we did that with ice. People used to go around town with huge blocks of ice and other people would buy a block every day and store it in a special "ice box." Then along comes a refrigerator capable of copying ice. Anyone can buy one and make their own ice. Obviously a world with refrigerators is better than a world without them, even though it puts the block-of-ice people out of a job. Can you imagine if, to this day, you were not allowed to create ice in your fridge and instead had to buy blocks of it from your neighbor's company?

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
Your neighbor is an idiot for trying to sell something as scarce as air.

Imagine if we did that with ice. People used to go around town with huge blocks of ice and other people would buy a block every day and store it in a special "ice box." Then along comes a refrigerator capable of copying ice. Anyone can buy one and make their own ice. Obviously a world with refrigerators is better than a world without them, even though it puts the block-of-ice people out of a job. Can you imagine if, to this day, you were not allowed to create ice in your fridge and instead had to buy blocks of it from your neighbor's company?
hey you should write a book with more great examples like these. I'll then copy and paste them onto Word and publish it everywhere as my own work. I have already begun the publishing process of Altf4's nice informative post.

So far people like my work!

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure you should still give credit to the original authors (I don't think that contradicts anything anyone here has said), but there's no problem with distributing their work.

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
why? i'm just simply copying the work. It's like if you wrote this awesome book on your laptop but you were hungry so you went out for food and some guy comes and "copies" your entire book while you were gone and publishes it. The guy is now rich and you're sitting home alone thinking what could have been. You could say he "stole" it but then again, it's just "copying" information right?

I'm all against big music labels cheating out artists out of their rightfully earned money but some piracy/plagiarism laws do have to be set. I'm not saying the current piracy/plagiarism laws are the best thing ever but when you look at it in its primitive form, it makes sense. Tbh, nobody likes their work "stolen" or should I say "copied".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom