• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pillar combo interrupts

Zunari

Smash Apprentice
Heyy guys, just wanted to hear back from some other Falco players on an issue I've been having in-game. When pillaring an opponent at low% or 0%, my combos can be interrupted on my way down after the dair.

As an example, I can dairshine a grounded Marth at 0% and then double jump above him. I input my dair and fast fall but just before Marth hits the ground he throws out a fair which catches me on my way down and ends my pillar.

How have other Falcos been dealing with this? Other common characters I have this issue with are Peach and Luigi with their nairs. Is it a case of delaying the dair and trying to reach the ground before them? Or do I just avoid pillaring at these percents? I am also thinking of buffering shield during my fast fall but Marth seems to still catch me whereas Peach and Luigi hit my shield...

Any feedback would be great

Last edited:

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
It looks to me like you just have to develop a better sense of spacing. Full hopping instead of double jumping can make your combos quicker and reduce the amount of time Marth has to escape the tumble animation with an aerial. Generally, at low percents you can try to laser camp until they approach you, in which case to laser, the. wave dash in with a shine to start off a combo. Grabs work too. Also yeah, luigis nair is pretty good for interrupts, but you can outspace the giant hit box if you aim right. Luigi has awful aerial mobility, so pillars are a good option.

Last edited:

GatGoat

Smash Cadet
Heyy guys, just wanted to hear back from some other Falco players on an issue I've been having in-game. When pillaring an opponent at low% or 0%, my combos can be interrupted on my way down after the dair.

As an example, I can dairshine a grounded Marth at 0% and then double jump above him. I input my dair and fast fall but just before Marth hits the ground he throws out a fair which catches me on my way down and ends my pillar.

How have other Falcos been dealing with this? Other common characters I have this issue with are Peach and Luigi with their nairs. Is it a case of delaying the dair and trying to reach the ground before them? Or do I just avoid pillaring at these percents? I am also thinking of buffering shield during my fast fall but Marth seems to still catch me whereas Peach and Luigi hit my shield...

Have you tried adding up tilt to your pillaring? its good for racking up damage on fast fallers, and good for interrupting floatie interrupts (if you catch my drift) upon L-canceled fastfall dair [no pun intended]

Zekk

Smash Apprentice
L canceling and spacing is the issue in that scenario but yeah extending the combo with a different move like u tilt works better overall

Illuminus

Smash Rookie

At low percents you need to "cook the dair" AKA waiting till the last possible second to do the dair. If you are super quick youll hit them a bit to early and they can jump out; letting them fall in hitstun as long as possible is optimal. its crazy how much difference those extra frames make. I would just practice getting the very top of the hitbox using the hitbox bubbles.

The other thing I would mention is the % characters start tech rolling dair. For example at 36% fox and falco can tech the dair so dair- shine doest work. You need to mix in uptilts or upairs. Also, it have to be ready to tech chase if you cant get the follow up, nothing is guaranteed with higher percents, and smash di these days.

Top Bottom