• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu's Playground - A Custom Stage for Practicing Quick Attack

iceman012

Smash Rookie
tldr: Looks like this, look up "theiceman76" on Miiverse to download.

After watching BSD's latest video on using custom stages for training, I realized how useful it would be to have a stage for practicing quick attack angles. I checked the Pikachu discord, they said nobody had made one yet, so I decided to make my own. There's a few different sections of the map; let me explain what they are.

Quick Attack Area

This is the main section of the stage, with a bunch of different platforms that require precise QA angles to reach. Near the middle, there's a metal bar in the ground. That marks the exact center of all the platforms, so you'll be starting most of your QAs there. As a bonus, it's slightly raised, so if you walk over it, Pikachu will stop and start the teetering animation. There's also two small walls on either side, to stop your accidental Skull Bashes early.

Basic Angles

These large platforms are used for practicing your narrow angles, the ones that you get when your stick is between the notches on a Gamecube controller. For all of these, aim for the platform on the bottom. If you end up below it, or land on the top platform, then you were slightly off, and can adjust accordingly.

If you want to practice narrow angles going down, you can do that with these platforms as well. For the angle just below going straight left or right, go to the inner edge of one of the top side platforms, then QA towards the center. If you do it correctly, you should end up in the air right above the middle. If you do it incorrectly, you'll either go straight left/right or hit the ground.

For the angle just to the side of straight down, you can do something similar. Go to the bottom platform in the middle, and roll to its edge. Then, try the narrow angle down. It'll be obvious if you go straight down (you won't leave the platform), but unfortunately you still won't touch the ground if you get the right angle, so you'll have to just confirm the angle by sight. It should be easy to see, though.

(Alternatively, you can practice the slight right/left angle on the small platforms. Roll to the edge of one of them, then quick attack towards the other end. The narrowest angle will be edge canceled; if you don't go off the platform or don't edge cancel, your angle was off)

Medium Angles

After getting the single narrow angles down, you can practice these angles on the rest of the large platforms. The highest platform can only be reached with the max-height quick attack, while the two low pairs of platforms are spaced just far enough apart to land with a max-length quick attack. Focus on landing right on the platform when doing the horizontal QA; when you're going high, you can mess up and still drift onto the platform, but doing it perfectly will end the QA right on the platform.

Advanced Angles

Once you have those angles down, start practicing with the small platforms. They all can be reached from the middle of the stage, but some require *very* precise angles to reach. Most can be reached several different ways, so I won't draw out the angles you need- that's for you to find out with practice.

Of course, you can also make up your own targets to reach. For instance, go beneath one of the side large platforms, and then practice reaching the low platform just above you. I've tried to give you plenty of options, so find out what you need to practice

Other Areas

I tried to design the rest of the stage to let Pikachus practice the rest of their kit. The QA area is also great for practicing RAR Thunder, since the walls will be catching your accidental Skull Bashes. Off to the side are two moving platforms- you can use these to practice your Thunder Jolt accuracy, trying to hit the small platforms. There are walls to practice wall jump stuff, whether it's instant wall jumps or wall jump-Thunder stalling. (There's a platform to land on if you miss your Thunder when practicing the wall jump stalling). At the very bottom, there's a platform moving side to side, and a platform that's tilted slightly, both for practicing any QAC techs you need to.

How to Get the Stage

Miiverse

The easiest way is to download it from Miiverse. The user is "theiceman76", the stage is called Pikachu's Playground. Full instructions:

Open Miiverse -> Activity Feed -> Search Users -> theiceman76 -> View Profile -> Posts -> Find "Pikachu's Playground" post and open it -> Press "Start" button (it has the Smash symbol on it).

Make it Yourself

If you can't do that for whatever reason, I'll also let you know how to build the stage yourself. (Be sure to turn on Grid Mode). To get the slightly raised center, first make the ground, then add a 1x2 box on top of it. Follow this image to get the right spacing for the rest of the platforms:

iceman012

Smash Rookie
You can find version 2 of the stage here.

The first version was missing a bunch of angles, plus there were a couple of platforms that were harder than they should have been to reach. Plus, apparently the first version of the stage can no longer be downloaded from Miiverse, either because it's deleted automatically after a month or because I deleted it locally.

NappyXP

Smash Rookie
You can find version 2 of the stage here.

The first version was missing a bunch of angles, plus there were a couple of platforms that were harder than they should have been to reach. Plus, apparently the first version of the stage can no longer be downloaded from Miiverse, either because it's deleted automatically after a month or because I deleted it locally.
Is there anyway you can reupload this? I'd love to use this stage if you don't mind.

Top Bottom