• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu's Jab Lock Setups: Guide

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
I've always had this sort of love-hate relationship with Pika's jab. It's real quick but so freaking weak. But his jab lock is actually surprisingly easy to pull of in Smash 4.
For those of you who don't know, jab locking is a technique where you use an opponent's missed tech to repeatedly jab them at regular intervals, leaving the opponent helpless. In Brawl, this was a "lock" because it could be done across the entire stage. However, it's a little different this time around. You only get to do this 3 times until the game forces the neutral get-up, which is your chance to punish with a nice f-smash or whatever else you feel like. The trick is setting it up, and Pikachu has many options to do this.

The easiest way I've found is f-throw to jab lock. Note that at high level play, this combo isn't that reliable due to the opponent's likelihood to land the tech, but this is a good way to practice it if you're new. This works at mid-percents on most characters.

D-tilt to jab lock also works at higher percents (100 ish), and it's much more difficult to tech. In addition, since this works at high percents it's immensely useful for a kill setup (which Pikachu seems to struggle with.)

I've seen Nair to jab lock work before, along with falling Dair, but d-tilt seems to be easier to pull off.

Let me know of any other jab lock setups you know of down below.
~Nach

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
I think video would be really helpful herr, if u want we could play online and i could record it and send the video to you

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Falling Fair, uptilt, jablock > grab forward throw > jab lock Up smash thunder

Hype combo successfully landed

Psyant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyant
Here's the %s some moves start knocking people down. Remembering these and keeping them in mind depending on your opponents % will increase your jab lock frequency a lot. These percents are for Mario, but weight and fallspeed don't effect knockdown %s much in this game. Just add a few % vs the likes of Bowser and take away vs lightweights like Kirby.

Fthrow: 7% (pretty easy for them to jump out of before they reach the ground though, don't rely on it much. Fthrow is best for leading into dash attack at low %s).
Neutral Air (strong): 33%
Down Air: 42%
Neutral Air (weak): 74%
Down Tilt: 83%

I find Dtilt and the strong hitbox of Nair to be by far the most useful for getting jab locks. You can shorthop autocancel both Nair and Dair and if they get hit, fall through with your opponent and land close to them as they hit the ground. SH Nair especially allows you to land pretty much within jabbing distance of them as they hit the floor, so it's the easiest jab lock setup for us positioning wise, as well as the one the opponent is most likely to miss a tech on.

SH Dair is also a possible jab lock setup, but I prefer to fish for a Dair at around 45% (assuming no rage, you'll have to account for that), because if you get the knockdown you can easily follow it up with a running up smash. Their % after that and the Dair will be just right for you to combo into a thunder cloud spike from the up smash if they have bad/no DI. So basically SH autocancel Dair > running Usmash > mash down B to thunder right away. It's easier to land than it sounds and puts them from 45% to over 90 as well as offstage. You can Dair > Jab Lock > Usmash > Thunder potentially for a bit more %, but it's harder to get the jab off the Dair before they stand up than Usmash, and they're much more likely to DI the Usmash and prevent a thunder followup if you do that.

Dtilt is probably the most reliable jab lock setup after SH Nair. Pretty straightforward to use. If you get it use the 3 jabs to perfectly space yourself for a charged sweetspot fsmash as they stand up and it's often a kill.

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
Ive never messed around with jab locks much but can you jab lock out o a trip or it is mainly when they hit the ground and dont tech?

Soul.

Ive never messed around with jab locks much but can you jab lock out o a trip or it is mainly when they hit the ground and dont tech?
When they hit the ground and don't tech. Jab locking is not possible when the opponent is in the tripping animation.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Saw this one on a video, tried it on FG and got it to work on FIVE DIFFERENT PEOPLE.

D-tilt >trip > QA forward-inward > ShortHop Nair - Jab lock

Problem is , my hype made me miss the punish all 5 times

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Ftilt is another fairly reliable move to setup for this. Angling it down may send them in a weird trajectory closer to the ground, but dunno 4chure. That and auto canceled dair work well to setup the tech read in my experience.

Quick attack can also be used to set this up, but since you can't QAL like in brawl it's easier to just use tilts, throws, and aerials and just commit through and follow up with their missed tech

Top Bottom