• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu's Best Friend Piplup - for Smash Ultimate

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
If you don't get the reference, I am referring to PokePark Wii

Moveset:
B- Bubble
Up B- Drill Peck
Side B- Snow Slide (like Empoleon's Snow Slide from PokePark Wii)
Down B- Whirlpool
FINAL SMASH- Super Aqua Dash (like Gyarados's Aqua Dash from PokePark Wii)

Reasons for Piplup:
  • He could represent a Pokémon Spinoff especially when Pokémon Spinoff games are almost never represented in smash.
  • PokePark Wii is a super underrated game
  • He is cute
Reasons against Piplup
  • We have 2 water starters in Squirtle and Greninja + Piplup is on the same stage of evolution as Squirtle
Thoughts? Opinions?
I just want Smash to represent this Underrated game as it has a great environment and great music.​

Supporters:
S SEGAGameBoy
Igglybuff4SmashU Igglybuff4SmashU
Mario123311 Mario123311
Dixie Kong Dixie Kong
Lucarhero_And_Pippy Lucarhero_And_Pippy
Pacack Pacack

Last edited:

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think Piplup could still be a Poke Ball. But I will show my support for him as a playable character.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think Piplup could still be a Poke Ball. But I will show my support for him as a playable character.
I guess Piplup could be a Poke Ball. Piplup replaced Marill from Melee and in SSB for Wii U and 3DS, it was replaced with Oshawott.
But anyways your support is going to be added to list shortly

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I support Piplup despite being highly unlikely. It's the least I can do for my favorite Gen 4 starter.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
  • We have 2 water starters in Squirtle and Greninja + Piplup is on the same stage of evolution as Squirtle
I don't think that is a valid argument especially considering we have three Links.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Piplup could be an interesting fighter to see, but I'm not holding my breath or anything.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We need all the water starters playable.

Piplup is my second favorite water starter after Squirtle. And probably my second favorite starter overall

Though I would prefer if both their fully evolved forms were playable in Smash

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Count me as a supporter despite this not being likely at all. I really don't care as I've wanted this guy in since 2008. I always feel he would have fit as Pichu's replacement as the "badass adorable" Pokemon.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
PokePark Wii is a good game. I used to play it a lot as a little kid.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Would personally entertain the idea of Empoleon over Piplup... Sorry, but the only one who can pull off a basic evolution of a starter for a fighter is Squirtle in my book, and he can be subbed out for other pokemon with Pokemon Trainer. Then there's the Pichu/Pikachu debocle which i never supported...

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
Count me in! Piplup is my favorite Pokémon and although I know it won't get in but I'd love to have it. Here you have my idea for the moveset.

General attributes: as a character, Piplup is extremely light, being lighter than any other character except for Pichu and Jigglypuff. Piplup's dashing speed isn't that fast either and it may sometimes struggle in aerial combat, although its air speed is much higher than its grounded speed. Piplup has two jumps, is around Pikachu's height, can't wall jump but can crawl. If gliding made a comeback (which I doubt), Piplup wouldn't be able to do it.

Special moves: I'm starting with special moves because Piplup's neutral special will show its main gimmick.
Neutral special is Ice Beam. Upon performing the move, Piplup will create a beam of ice, then it shoots it forward. The beam deals minor damage (3%/4%) but has two interesting properties. It may freeze opponents if their damage is high enough and also freezes the area it traveled in for a couple of seconds. During this time period, Piplup is able to freely move on the ice, as it won't be affected by the slippery physics of solid water, rather Piplup gets a speed boost when dashing on the ice. On the other hand, its opponents have lots of trouble navigating on the slippery ice. Ice Beam leads to easy approach and it's Piplup's go-tool for the neutral. It's based on Empoleon's abilities in Pokkén Tournament.

Side Special is Peck. Upon performing the move, Piplup simply pecks forward. It's kind of a simple move, but if it's performed on the ice, Piplup will dive on the ice using its cute little belly, like real life penguins do. Peck is a great combo tool when used in normal circumstances, but it's a great damaging option when performed on the ice (deals around 16% instead of 6%).

Up Special is Drill Peck. Upon performing the move, Piplup will move like a drill upwards. It's possible to change the direction of the move, like with Fire Fox. The move also travels a lot more distance than Fox's and Falco's up Bs. It has multi-hit properties during the charging segment, but when the move is released and Piplup dives upwards, it hits only once.

Down Special is Whirlpool. Upon performing the move, Piplup will create a whirlpool. By holding down the B button, the whirlpool grows in size and by releasing the B button, Piplup throws the whirlpool forward. A bigger whirlpool is stronger, dealing multi-hit damage until it explodes (dealing around 24% in total), but it is also the slowest and the one that travels the closest. A smaller whirlpool, on the other hand, hits only once but quickly travels far.

Standard moves:
  • Jab is a hit with the left wing, then one with the right wing and a final peck.
  • Side tilt is a weak headbutt.
  • Up tilt is a hit with both wings that sends opponents upward. It is a good combo tool.
  • Down tilt is a sweeping kick.
  • Dash attack is a belly dash like real life penguins often do.
Smash attacks:
  • Side Smash is a dropkick forward, like Bowser's but with an additional water aesthetics when Piplup jumps and a water explosion when the move's hitbox becomes active. It's a surprisingly strong move and has a decently low start-up. The ending lag is incredibly low too, making the move Piplup's best KO option overall. It's based on the move Aqua Jet.
  • Up Smash is a single stream of water surrounded by two minor streams on the left and on the right. The move might remind Squirtle's up Smash, however, Squirtle's streams are meant to be equally strong, while Piplup's secondary streams only serve the purpose of throwing opponents into the main stream, the one with real KO power. It's quite slow, but also surprisingly strong. It's based on the move Hydro Pump.
  • Down Smash has Piplup surfing in a circular motion on a very small wave. The wave deals damage and has a wide hitbox, but is comparatively weaker. The animation of this move is absolutely adorable: Piplup surfs on this small wave with a very happy expression. It really looks like it's having a lot of fun! The attack is based on the move Surf.
Aerial attacks:
  • Neutral aerial is a simple spin, with watery effect added in order to widen the hitbox.
  • Forward aerial is similar to Falco's, but again has a watery effect added.
  • Back aerial is a kick, like Sonic's. Piplup's strongest aerial attack.
  • Up aerial has Piplup releasing a stream of bubbles upwards. It's unique in the sense that propels Piplup downwards, like Ivysaur's up aerial.
  • Down aerial has Piplup kicking downwards three times, like Lucas or Lucario. The move spikes.
Grab and throws:
  • Piplup's grabbing animation is kinda normal: it holds the opponent with both wings. The pummel is a simple peck.
  • Piplup's forward throw is similar to Squirtle's in Ultimate: it throws opponents forward using a wave of water.
  • Piplup's back throw has Piplup jumping forward and kicking the opponent backward, with an angry face. Piplup's strongest KO throw.
  • Piplup's up throw is similar to up Smash, as Piplup creates a stream of water that lifts the opponent.
  • Piplup's down throw has it jumping on the opponent. It throws the opponent at a favorable angle for a follow-up.
Final Smash: Hydro Vortex
Upon performing the move, Piplup creates a huge sphere of water that it throws forward in a second. When it connects with an opponent, it will explode, creating a huge whirlpool that deals massive damage. When the whirlpool is about to fade, it explodes, knocking away opponents.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't think that is a valid argument especially considering we have three Links.
Not to mention Fire Emblem...

Pokemon is the top grossing media franchise of all time. It can do whatever it wants.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
A better argument for Piplup is that it scores much higher on the popularity poll than Squirtle. So does Oshawott, who I would personally prefer. Would be neat to try and see if either could be Squirtle's echo without having other PT mon echoes attached to them.
Yeah. Piplup was the most popular starter of Gen IV. It got more exposure than the other two, due to Dawn's prominence in the anime. The line is still popular, even though Dawn is long gone from the anime. Empoleon managed to get into Pokken Tournament.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yeah. Piplup was the most popular starter of Gen IV. It got more exposure than the other two, due to Dawn's prominence in the anime. The line is still popular, even though Dawn is long gone from the anime. Empoleon managed to get into Pokken Tournament.
Piplup was also the de facto replacement of Togepi in the retelling of the Kanto saga via the latest movie.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Piplup was also the de facto replacement of Togepi in the retelling of the Kanto saga via the latest movie.
I don't know why they did that. Piplup and Lucario both stuck out like a sore thumb against the Gen I and Gen VII Pokemon that were heavily prevalent in the movie. For extra weirdness factor, they made Piplup's trainer the daughter of Sinnoh's Champion, Cynthia! I still don't know why they decided to shove a bunch of Sinnoh references in a movie that retold the Gen I saga that was released during Gen VII.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't know why they did that. Piplup and Lucario both stuck out like a sore thumb against the Gen I and Gen VII Pokemon that were heavily prevalent in the movie. For extra weirdness factor, they made Piplup's trainer the daughter of Sinnoh's Champion, Cynthia! I still don't know why they decided to shove a bunch of Sinnoh references in a movie that retold the Gen I saga that was released during Gen VII.
I think it is because Piplup and Lucario were both stars of the anime. This is what adds credence to Piplup as a possible character.
Not to mention, it helped communicate that all Pokemon were around always, not just 151.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think it is because Piplup and Lucario were both stars of the anime. This is what adds credence to Piplup as a possible character.
Not to mention, it helped communicate that all Pokemon were around always, not just 151.
Yeah. Piplup has real star power. It has a chance to join Smash, albeit a rather small one.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Right now it seems that if you sort Mii Fighters by popularity in Shared Content, a Piplup Mii is more popular than the other Pokemon-related Mii Fighters that show up. Apparently more people wanted to play as Piplup than we thought, and I don't think it would be the Japanese popularity I pointed out months ago, because I could see them preferring to have a Mii named Pochama.

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
That’s probably not going to happen...
Unless...

A leak about S&S revealed that Piplup is getting a Gigamax form. Yeah, not Empoleon, Piplup itself. This may hint towards a remake of Diamond and Pearl, much like Blaziken’s Mega Evolution foreshadowed ORAS. Then, if this is going to happen and if we’re getting a second fighter pass we just barely may get to see our favorite penguin Pokémon in Smash.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Honestly, I'd rather have multiple trainers than single Pokémon.
Piplup would fit with Infernape and Grotle.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I still do feel Piplup would be an easy echo. Granted, I have a more loose definition of echo, Piplup seems like an easy Squirtle hybrid. Switch out the turtle moves of movement, perhaps with one from PIkachu, and give him a whirlpool move instead of watergun (I'm not sure on which move to base this, but between the whole roster, I'd feel there would be one, easily).

Piplup wouldn't be at the top of my list of characters to get this treatment, but I'd certainly understand it (and while I don't think typing matters too much, in the grand scheme of the roster there is a lot of fire usage, and very little of other elements).

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Definitely support. I'd argue that a Sinnoh Pokemon is more likely at this point than a SwSh one is, and I believe that pre-evolutions for starters are perfectly viable. Piplup is a perfect case of a Pokemon that's wildly popular, pushed in promotional material, and newly relevant.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I feel obligated to note the new project Piplup that the Pokemon Company is doing for its marketing. It might very well be nothing, but it does show at the very least that Piplup is still a favorite of their marketing team.

Edit: Announcement Video

Last edited:
Top Bottom