• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu throw thunder % ranges work in progress

Thatonehelper

Smash Cadet
Keep in mind that this is for version 1.2.0

• Was testing Pikachu's Up throw - thunder % ranges in training mode. This is a work in progress.
    • (I've been super half baked and lazy with this. If someone already finished this list somewhere then please let me know. More motivated if I can compare results.)
  • Percent ranges tested so that the combo counter read "4" in training mode
    • (I know the combo counter is bad, I have a feeling the actual true % range is smaller from air dodges)
  • These combos were tested with no DI
    • Upthrow RAR thunder will catch DI, but I have not tested it.
  • For consistency’s sake: It should be noted that the final 5% range should be assumed as inconsistent to connect.
  • The first 15% range of immediate thunder is not likely to KO your opponent if they have good DI.
1.2.0 Ultimate Pikachu throw thunder % ranges WIP.PNG

Some Pikachu bread and butter combos:
  • At low percentage a down throw can lead to Nair, Uair, Fair or Bair depending on DI. Sometimes even Dair.
    • The best scenario is to get a down throw to short hop Nair fast fall drag-down to re-grab. Works until about 30%. Works especially well on big bodies like DK and Ridley
      • See ESAM's pikachu for example @ dont park on the grass
      • Since being optimal with down throw requires reacting to DI and knock back based on the percentage (and weight?), it will need getting used to. Thus, some of the less hardcore Pikachu players will probably opt for up throw as the low percentage combo throw.
        • This is because, at low percents, up throw guarantees an up air to follow-up aerial, usually fair, and this combo throw is really easy to do.
  • Pikachu's neutral feels similar to smash 4 because throwing Thunder jolts and Fair to start pressure works really well still. Then you can open people up with grabs, tilts, quick attack etc. depending on how the respond.
  • However, the ability to act out of dash is something I expect Pikachu players to incorporate more into their gameplan in the future. Pichu's tilts are more rewarding, but Pikachu still has good conversions from tilts.
  • To those of you who play inkling, you should know what that feels like. Do you go for the DI and tight % range dependent down throw regrabs or do you go for the easy up throw – upair combo (BOOYAH)
  • Pichu players should almost always down throw at low %. It easily chains into Fair, although there are other alternative custom combos.
    • See VOID's pichu for example
  • Pikachu's down tilt can combo into uptilt at 0%, but you have to get the correct hitbox. I feel it is inconsistent.

Other bread and butter Pikachu combos:
  • At low percent: uptilt x2 to Uair to Bair. Deals about 36%. Pretty standard true combo.
  • Fair and Bair strings into itself for two hits total unless the opponent likes to DI in. Usually set up some pressure or go for a read/chase after the second Fair/Bair.
    • Personally, I prefer to thunder jolt as a chaser for pressure. Although, getting the correct read can net some serious reward if you put them offstage.

Last edited:

Constadin

Smash Apprentice
I run a fast test with a second controller with left stick jammed to always DI left. Around 100% I was getting up throws to run (left) and thunder. With the dash change I think up throw chasing to thunder can be true without the need to reverse cancel the dash to jump down b... actually no jumping needed at all. Anyone can test and verify this?

imaneutrino

Smash Rookie
https://imgur.com/a/QdBSWZh I recommend using this chart I made, to simplify your process. You won't have to test each character, because some of them are the same weight. This way you can just include characters with the same weights on the same rows.

Should be helpful!

Top Bottom