• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Costume Discussion

Aussie1024

"Stow your fear. It's now or never!"
Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Hey guys. I wanted to start a discussion on the costumes that Pikachu has in Ultimate and see what his players think of them.

I've played Smash for 10 years and Pikachu was one of the first characters I ever used. He's currently my secondary main in Ultimate behind Zelda, but I digress. Ever since then, I have absolutely loved Pikachu's costumes and how they reference various nuances throughout the Pokémon series.

I think they are really solid in Ultimate. I thought the inclusion of a couple female costumes was a very smart idea. Here's how I rank them:

1. Default
2. Red
3. Green
4. Yellow
5. Party Hat
6. Calem Hat
7. Libre
8. Celine Hat

I'm not as big a fan of Libre as I see most Pika players. I don't loathe it by any means, but I've always preferred a simple hat accessory with a tint change. With that said, I do like it better than the other female costume. It's not awful, but it really doesn't stand out to me like the rest do. I also feel like they could have done a different female hat as a reference.

What do you guys think of his costumes? How do you rank them? What changes would you make to his set (If any)? If you have any questions about my rankings, feel free to ask.

The only change I would make is give the first female costume Serena's hat (therefore take it from Puff). I know its size may not work for Pika's head (maybe shrink it?), but I feel like it would be a cute nod to the anime with Ash and Serena's friendship that dated back to their childhood.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I really like the party hat. I find it weird how Pikachu's fur color shifts and I find a lot of them more pale than usual. The blue to me is the closest to the right kind of Yellow Pikachu really is. Also back to the hat. That's just whacky! I mean, the dude is just an ANIMAL!
I'll go show myself to the door now

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
I really like the party hat. I find it weird how Pikachu's fur color shifts and I find a lot of them more pale than usual. The blue to me is the closest to the right kind of Yellow Pikachu really is. Also back to the hat. That's just whacky! I mean, the dude is just an ANIMAL!
The paler color more than likely has to do with the subdued color scheme that Ultimate has. It kinda looks better to me. The bright-colored hues made Pikachu's colors a bit too much for me, especially the green one. The party hat does give him a good color. Almost like the Red one.

Lol that's true. They probably took it from the anime and the fact that Pikachu wore Ash's hat. They probably took that idea in the first Smash and integrated it into his costumes with tint changes.

Midoriki

Smash Cadet
Green Headband all the way!

Even if I weren't completely obsessed with the color green, gen 3 is my favorite Pokemon generation, with special love for Emerald version :)

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I love the Redneck hat alt.

that being said, where is Pikachu PHD? I know Nacho Libre is the more popular Pikachu, but how could you not love this face?:

Last edited:

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
My favourite is Blue Party Hat Pika because that was my very first main in smash 64~

Although all of Pikachu's alts are really good, same for Puff and Pichu. The hats are simply adorable :D

If I had to rank them though:
8. Emerald Headband
7. Default
6. X/Calem Hat
5. Moon/Selene Hat
4. Gold Hat
3. Red Hat
2. Libre
1. Blue Party Hat

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Green Headband all the way!

Even if I weren't completely obsessed with the color green, gen 3 is my favorite Pokemon generation, with special love for Emerald version :)
Yeah that's always been one of my favorites. It fits Pikachu nicely.

I love the Redneck hat alt.

that being said, where is Pikachu PHD? I know Nacho Libre is the more popular Pikachu, but how could you not love this face?:
That would have been a cool alt. I've never seen that before. What game was that in?

My favourite is Blue Party Hat Pika because that was my very first main in smash 64~

Although all of Pikachu's alts are really good, same for Puff and Pichu. The hats are simply adorable :D

If I had to rank them though:
8. Emerald Headband
7. Default
6. X/Calem Hat
5. Moon/Selene Hat
4. Gold Hat
3. Red Hat
2. Libre
1. Blue Party Hat
Agreed. To be honest, I have the hardest time ranking Zelda's colors, but Pika's are definitely close to that because all of them have their unique charm. Pika, Pichu, and Puff all have solid alts. Same with Pokémon Trainer referencing protagonists throughout the series.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
That would have been a cool alt. I've never seen that before. What game was that in?
That's one of the outfits the Cosplay Pikachu can wear in ORAS! :D Iirc it's for the "Smart" category, while Pikachu Libre is for the "Tough" category. I'm pretty sure that they change outfits depending on the move that they can learn bc Cosplay Pikachu can learn certain moves that change their outfits (I remember that this one can learn Icicle Crash and is more geared for the "Beauty" category)

Agreed. To be honest, I have the hardest time ranking Zelda's colors, but Pika's are definitely close to that because all of them have their unique charm. Pika, Pichu, and Puff all have solid alts. Same with Pokémon Trainer referencing protagonists throughout the series.
And yeeeah those characters have amazing alts! I find the characters that have their alts changed physically and not through colour palettes some of the more stronger ones

Last edited:

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
I'm pretty sure that they change outfits depending on the move that they can learn bc Cosplay Pikachu can learn certain moves that change their outfits
That's awesome! Pretty neat how little things like that can change a character's move or their style in contests. It really makes you strategize with that kind of stuff.

And yeeeah those characters have amazing alts! I find the characters that have their alts changed physically and not through colour palettes some of the more stronger ones
For me, it kinda depends on the character. For characters like Zelda and Sonic, I don't mind simple color changes (especially because Zelda's reference her incarnations from other games; but I do wish Sonic's referenced other characters in his series, but I digress). I like how most of Pikachu's slightly tint his fur to the color of the accessory he has on. iI's a subtle touch but nice overall.

I love how they do it with the Pokémon characters with physical changes thru hats and such. All the series references they put in there are well-done.

RaysFTW

Smash Rookie
To be honest I was very surprised Nintendo didn’t give Pikachu the detective hat given how they like to promote their other games/media a lot within games.

I’m not a big fan of the tints the hats give Pikachu so I usually stick with default. A red/green/blue tinted Pikachu just looks weird to me and the hats aren’t very creative. I can appreciate Nintendo sticking with some originals but more new, creative options would have been nice.

Personally, I would have liked some more cute options like what Pichu and Jigglypuff have like a bow or even a Team Magma bandana as a counterpart to Pichu’s Team Aqua bandana.

Last edited:

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
To be honest I was very surprised Nintendo didn’t give Pikachu the detective hat given how they like to promote their other games/media a lot within games.
Yeah this kinda surprised me too. Maybe as a potential DLC costume? Probably a pipe dream to hope for that though.

I’m not a big fan of the tints the hats give Pikachu so I usually stick with default.
That's fair. I can see why you think that. The tints can clash with the hats. It doesn't bother me too much, but I can see it doing that to others.

Personally, I would have liked some more cute options like what Pichu and Jigglypuff have like a bow or even a Team Magma bandana as a counterpart to Pichu’s Team Aqua bandana.
That's an interesting idea with the Team Magma bandana. The party hat and Red hat are both of Pikachu's more cute accessories. I don't know if that would be the same if they gave the female a Serena hat instead of Celine. It's my personal preference tbh. Watching thru X&Y and I'm loving Ash and Serena's relationship. I thought it would be a cute nod, but that's just me.

Zapato007

Smash Rookie
I don't like libre

a skin tight suit on a mouse just looks weird in my opinion especially how it cuts off at the stomach

my favorite is the red and blue headband from smash 4

I think the alts should be replaced with the pikachu cosplay form omega ruby / alpha saffire

Delphinus

Smash Rookie
NNID
DelphinusV
3DS FC
2595-0710-4989
I've been playing Pikachu as one of my mains since 64, usually liked to do default or blue party hat, but after maining Pika Libre in Pokken, I was sold on having the outfit in Ultimate and now it's the main one I use.

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Blue party hat Pikachu is the best. And that's a fact! Green headband Pikachu is also cool.

Mafew

Smash Rookie
This is my Pika alt tier list.
1. Brenden
2. Selene
3/4. Gold and Calem (equal)
5. Libre
6/7 Default and Red (equal)
8. Party hat

RaysFTW

Smash Rookie
I don't know if that would be the same if they gave the female a Serena hat instead of Celine. It's my personal preference tbh. Watching thru X&Y and I'm loving Ash and Serena's relationship. I thought it would be a cute nod, but that's just me.
I'm super late to this, almost 2 years lol, but yes! I just watched through the X/Y seasons this year and that was my favorite character relationship in all of Pokemon. I love this idea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom