• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu - Balance Patch - Version 1.1.1 Buffs/Nerfs

Ritronaut

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully he's still untouched!

Edit: Ran him through training mode, he seems perfectly untouched!

Last edited:

Soul.

Yo I was going to post this but I got ninja'd.
REPLAYS CONFIRMED BROKEN, I PRAY TO ARCEUS THAT PIKA GETS BUFFS

Soul.

From what I have tested so far it seems unchanged.

Will have to wait for more data though, unless it is officially confirmed that Pika got no changes.

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
Thinkaman over at the official thread is datamining, we'll see soon.

EDIT: And it's confirmed, we're untouched.

Last edited:

Soul.

Nvm no changes confirmed. We livin LOL

Last edited:

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
This makes me so happy and we also got to eat our cake too! Luigi throw > tornado no longer works apparently. If this is true im going to be so hype.

D

Deleted member

So Pikachu got untouched? That's good!

This makes me so happy and we also got to eat our cake too! Luigi throw > tornado no longer works apparently. If this is true im going to be so hype.
A lot of Luigis are confirming that. His down throw also got nerfed, so it's harder to followup.

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
Long story short, Luigi's dthrow turned into Mario's dthrow, with similar followups

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
No changes/nerfs on Pikachu's customs? I don't really play Pikachu but it seems many customs were changed, and I know Heavy Skull Bash is something a lot of people complain about (not me, I wasn't personally hoping for a nerf but would understand it).

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
If so, then good for Pikachu. He's my main, too. As for my Luigi,:crying:

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu hasn't been touched, what does the increased shield stun mean for Pikachu? This can mean that a whole bunch of moves of ours can potentially be safe on shield. Don't have acess to my Wii U right now so I can't test, but fast moves like Jab, Dtilt, Fair, and quick attack should be looked into.

AncientCode42

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Surge_Production
I pray for some Pika power please. Imagine Pikachu with more KO power all those poor screaming people. I'd also love a D-smash buff decreasing end-lag and giving back it's old properties.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
So Pikachu is untouched? That's cool I guess. Definitely better than getting nerfed.
Also, R.I.P Luigi. :( On the bright side, the matchup against him should be more in our favor now, right?

Felth

Smash Apprentice
I know that Pikachu was untouched but I know that the shield stun has increased. Someone testes is Auto canceled Fair is safe on shield?

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
On the official thread, it says:
Shield stun mechanics altered: formula assumed: [(damage / 1.8)+3] over (damage/2.56) [?]
Now the question mark at the end means either it's not confirmed yet or the formula is not confirmed to be correct yet.

Soul.

I'm so confused lol, if this means we're a lot safer than before on shield then people are just going to ride on that Pikachu bandwagon.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
No need to worry! Quick Attack will be the move that separates the scrubs from the true Pikas ;)

Edit: I've seen a lot of videos now and it does look like shield stun has been increased. Well, it seems aggressive play will be much more rewarding now. Whether or not that's a good thing, I'm not so sure yet. :drshrug:

Last edited:

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
Soul. Soul. is right, though. The moment SH Fair FF becomes safe on shield could be the moment Pikachu meets the Greninja bat. Basically all my difficulties with Pikachu revolve around the fear of whether or not I'll get bonked out of my Fairs.

Soul.

Aggression is indeed more rewarding now. Our gameplan will perhaps stay the same, but with the engine changes... we don't have to worry about shields as much as before? Mobility seems to be more important than in previous versions due to defensive options getting nerfed. Fortunately, we have enough mobility to work, and of course, QA (I wonder how changed was this with shieldstun increased?).

Not sure how better or worse has the meta turned into; only time will tell. But for now, we're in a confusing mess. This update as a whole favors characters with good mobility.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Aggression is indeed more rewarding now. Our gameplan will perhaps stay the same, but with the engine changes... we don't have to worry about shields as much as before? Mobility seems to be more important than in previous versions due to defensive options getting nerfed. Fortunately, we have enough mobility to work, and of course, QA (I wonder how changed was this with shieldstun increased?).

Not sure how better or worse has the meta turned into; only time will tell. But for now, we're in a confusing mess. This update as a whole favors characters with good mobility.
Pika got alot better since not being as punishable lets us just run around freely doing whatever. That is if fair and/ or dair are safe on sheild.

Soul.

From our metagame thread:
Shield advantage said:
fsmash 18% - 22 > 11
fsmash 12% - 21 > 12
fsmash 15% - 27 > 16
usmash 14% - 22 > 17
usmash 13% - 21 > 18
dsmash - 37 > 32
dtilt - 2 > +1 for pika!
utilt back - 11 > 8
utilt front - 9 > 5
jab - 12 > 10
ftilt - 13 > 9
ftiltdown - 13 > 10
auto cancel dair - 10-22 > 1-13
dair landing - 26 > 20
bair landing - 16 > 13
ff fair - 8-11 > 6-8
QA2 - 21-23 > 14-16
Rejoice, our moves now seem like they're 'safer.'

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
If it's a universal change though, isn't everyone's moves 'safer' then?
In which case not much has changed right (in terms of advantages)

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Even though everyone got safer moves, if they don't have that good of a mobility, it doesn't really help them much. So anyone who already was pretty fast benefit more than characters who are still pretty slow.

Soul.

I'd imagine characters with lingering hitboxes will have to use them more against QA.

Also yes, everyone is 'safer', but because mobility is such an important trait to have as of this patch, slow characters don't get too much from them

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
So after this patch, the difference between the top tiers and the bottom tiers got a little wider. Now we just have to see what happens to the viable ones in the middle.
Also, who do you guys think benefit most from this patch: Sheik or Pikachu?

AncientCode42

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Surge_Production
So many nice options for Pikachu with the changed mechanics now. lol Still nice he didn't get nerfed. Though now I wonder how all of this will effect him even more or less. Would this make F-air more safe to use on shield now?

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
Now we just need testing on one small thing

Pikachu can jab near the ledge and cover ledge jump, normal getup (if they can't roll out without getting hit), and sometimes getup attack

This was tech that I used to use but people kept occasionally being able to just Roll out of the pressure, so I stopped

But if they get hit by the jab and knocked off, they get pushed off the platform and you get a drop zone edge guard situation

You can apply the Bair air dodge death mixup really well from this situation

I will need to test this, but this will be HUGE if jab can force people can't roll out of it

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
So basically if you used to rely on walk-up shield you're screwed now huh
and OOS options got nerfed

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
So many nice options for Pikachu with the changed mechanics now. lol Still nice he didn't get nerfed. Though now I wonder how all of this will effect him even more or less. Would this make F-air more safe to use on shield now?
Soul posted the data Pikabunz found a little higher up on this page, so I recommend checking that out. Fair and everything else is a little safer now, yes.
So basically if you used to rely on walk-up shield you're screwed now huh
and OOS options got nerfed
Yeah, so everyone practice your perfect shielding! :D
On startup or cooldown? Both? Educate me I am dumb lmao

Edit: Unless you mean the shield stun thing
Yeah, he's talking about the cooldown from shield stun

Soul.

Basically, approaching with shield is bad now. Heavies/characters with no approaching options relied on dash > shield, which got nerfed with this patch.
Also, who do you guys think benefit most from this patch: Sheik or Pikachu?
any character that is mobile pretty much.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
http://smashboards.com/threads/magical-enigmatic-land-1-1-1-patch-notes.419067/page-17#post-20222887

Someone in the official thread claims Pika dthrow was changed and can't link to utilt after at any %, can anyone check?
The datamine said that nothing was altered for Pikachu. Did the person say later which character he/she was using the combo against?

Basically, approaching with shield is bad now. Heavies/characters with no approaching options relied on dash > shield, which got nerfed with this patch.
And don't the character who possibly is the worst off from this change
R.I.P :4jigglypuff:

any character that is mobile pretty much.
Yeah, both benefit from it, but I was just asking who would benefit more. It was just something to think about. :drshrug:

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
The datamine said that nothing was altered for Pikachu. Did the person say later which character he/she was using the combo against?
Nope, I'm asking now
inb4 he tried it on Mewtwo or something

EDIT: So apparently hitstun mechanics -might- me modified as well, together with electric hitstun effects
http://smashboards.com/threads/magical-enigmatic-land-1-1-1-patch-notes.419067/page-20#post-20225314

EDIT 2: Shield hitlag apparently used to not match attack hitlag, and that's been fixed now, so it seems electric attacks are all safer across the board (on top of the shield changes)
http://smashboards.com/threads/magical-enigmatic-land-1-1-1-patch-notes.419067/page-20#post-20225691

Last edited:

Soul.

Electric hitlag has been neutralized on the defender...?
Okay we're definitely safer on shield now lol.

Top Bottom