• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Anther

Smash Champion
nades. tilts. a pivot grab
Snakes that don't approach have the issue of constantly backing themselves into a corner. In which case snake has to do something to get out of the corner. Typically a roll or a Dash attack or something. Pika's very good at not letting snake just walk in and do what he wants, since pika's dangerous and such.. and every char can employ the strategy of running away and pivot grabbing / whatever when snake's in that situation. He only has the option of rolling away if he doesn't want to get punished. Pika's not forced to approach in the matchup, which is typically a losing battle for pika against snake, but he's forced to pressure snake. No johns.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I'm gonna try to come up with a different cg for Snake. The one in the cg thread can be easily break out of.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Find a CG for TL. That's my newest nightmare MU (Diddy's still godawful, though).

Or I can just keep using Zelda, since apparently it works for some ******** reason.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Because you have a good Zelda! TL is way too floaty to cg. I hate him!

edit: You can 0-death cg TL at one part in RC. :o

Razek

Smash Apprentice
yo so gallax was only saying that its in snakes favor. never did he say it was impossible. he did mention too that any snake that doesnt know the matchup will get *****. you guys got way too mad for something so trivial.

btw, i agree that its 55:45 in favor of snake. and hrnut/radiX are really good players.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
yo so gallax was only saying that its in snakes favor. never did he say it was impossible. he did mention too that any snake that doesnt know the matchup will get *****. you guys got way too mad for something so trivial.
With all due respect, you haven't seen how Gallax gets anytime Snake is mentioned. It's a trend thing, not a one-time thing.

Regardless, it's not worth being discussed any further, let's just keep the convo on the actual MU, not the players.

gallax

Smash Hero
haha. u gotta defend wut you love. <3 to all for arguing with me. i just love conversing so much with everyone about snake vs pika.

btw. Mu is 55:45 in favor of snake. lololololol. u guys r too good.

edit: i think the TL MU is now 50:50. i can see how it could be trouubleseom for both.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
I can backthrow->backthrow a level 1 at low %.

seriously though there is just fthrow and dthrow, that's why he said he's gonna come up with a different one

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Find a CG for TL. That's my newest nightmare MU (Diddy's still godawful, though).

Or I can just keep using Zelda, since apparently it works for some ******** reason.
Follow my secrets ^_^. They should guide you....

Anyways, grabs are still the thing to use against TL's if you can read their reactions in time ^_^.

Best of luck!

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Follow my secrets ^_^. They should guide you....
Lol, your secrets basically said "avoid all projectiles 100% of the time, then MAYBE you can win even though he still has a sword." I dunno if I can do that. @.@

Nah, but seriously, I did read your tips, and they helped. It's just a really frustrating MU for me, and I get easily aggravated by spam..... I do all that ****in work to get there, but if I make one wrong read, I get knocked away and have to figure out how to approach again.

It's not fun. Just really ****ing annoying.

IxxI

Smash Fence
Lol, your secrets basically said "avoid all projectiles 100% of the time, then MAYBE you can win even though he still has a sword." I dunno if I can do that. @.@

Nah, but seriously, I did read your tips, and they helped. It's just a really frustrating MU for me, and I get easily aggravated by spam..... I do all that ****in work to get there, but if I make one wrong read, I get knocked away and have to figure out how to approach again.

It's not fun. Just really ****ing annoying.
Powershield?

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Powershield?
That'll own newby-mediocore TL's real easy. But it sounds like kaylo has her hands against good TL's or those who specialize in spam or defense. It's a combo of knowing what to powershield and combining rolls/jumps/spotdodges to space yourself away from the rest. It took me a while to get the TL matchup down pat, but that's mainly possible because my little brother is like right next to me for me to practice against.

I just recently learned that pikachu is one of the slower ones to pull up thier shield from dashing, so that complicates the situation further slightly.

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
ok,
when playing agaist a snake,
if he throws a genade at you, do you just dodge it,
or try to pick it up and throw it back?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
ok,
when playing agaist a snake,
if he throws a genade at you, do you just dodge it,
or try to pick it up and throw it back?
I just dodge them.

If I catch one by accident, I'll throw it back, but most Snakes cook nades anyway, so a lot of times it'll end up blowing up on you.

gallax

Smash Hero
a little guide:

1- if you want to pick up a nade make sure you have enough time to throw it twice. why twice? cuz the snake will strip it from you the first time so you are gonna have to regrab it and rethrow it.

2- always try to dodge them and let them go past you. a smart snake will pull another nade and make the frist nade drop near you. when it s me i try to make the nade fall a little behind the opponent. this way they have to either shield or jump or spotdodge more or come closer. but you want to get the nade to go by you and NEVER hit you.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Anyone ever tried using the grenades for the glide toss as an approach? Pikachu goes pretty **** far if done right.

Here's the best cg to use on Snake. This cg is only inescapable if done at 0%.
Fthrowx3>Dthrow till 90%>regrab

You can do anything you want after that. If you want to go for most damage then pummel a few times then dthrow>upsmash.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I try to jump over them when snake throws them and t-jolt the ground below so snake cannot follow up with a slide while catching his nade. I normally always avoid catching them cuz snake can force the opponent to drop a nade (which just screws up catching them in the first place). I only throw nades if i catch them by accident (like when u-airing near snake). It then depends on how long the nades have been cooking. If i can throw them at snake and he's far away, i'll jump throw and f-air fast fall back down or something. If it'll blow up soon, i'll start dashing/rolling/airdodging towards snake and have him get caught in the exposion while i am dodging. If snake is too close and the nade still has some time i normally just z-drop it and continue plowing towards snake with my usual combo.

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
ima gunna stick to just avioding them,
if i catch on on accident, ill just z-drop it
that sounds goood ^_^

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
When should Dtilt->Retreating Fsmash be used? I'm using it quite a bit and I like it.
I guess against someone whose f-tilt is slightly out of range and your f-smash is within range.

I use it sometimes with success against an advancing powershielding>f-tilting MK. The f-smash will reach MK and sourspot and send MK vertically for maybe a thunder or something. There are other possible situations, but... this is the first that comes to mind

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Would it be possible, if the missed they tech, Dtilt>QAC>Thunder?

As in the QAC doing the thing in a jab/QAL lock.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace

Well in theory it is possible, however, d-tilt against a standing opponent will mainly just 'slides' the oppoenent away in hitstun. You know like the d-tilt wall lock? Most of the time, d-tilt is a little too weak to make the opponent 'hit' the ground as opposed to 'sliding'. So you would only be able to do this against opponents at higher damages. (I think it might work at earlier damages if you get them when jumping... like out of shield or something.)

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I meant at higher percents, and at the tip of the hitbox.
Well, at higher damages, its possible then ^_^. However, soon afterwards the opponent gets hit too far for you to double QA in time (plus at that point the opponent will probably airdodge or land the tech at that point. Still, its worth a good try ^_^.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374

If you're going to do this, make sure you jab before the thunder or else the thunder won't sweetspot.

remember that you cann lock someone who has just tripped though.
I'm pretty sure locks don't work on someone who has just tripped.

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
1. To wat % does fthrow CG work on Marths?
2. Does dthrow CG work on Marths (to wat %)?
3. How should pika approach???
(srry if these hav already been posted)
I think that marth is one of pika's hardest match-ups
just camp,
but if the marth has the % lead,
approach cautiously, with FF f-air, and SH d-air,
QaC is also a good choice, but if the marth and predict the Qac, then your ****ed.
also JUGGLE marth, he is soooo easy to juggle its not even funny,

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
i like FF >fair cause of the hitstun but it doesnt hav very good priority (i mean, there are things with better priority like ALL of marth's aerials, tilts...or r they? )

what then?
well if you FF fair, it can go useful, for me, i ether FF fair<grab
or i FF fair < d-smash
or FF fair<d-tilt<pika slide f-smash

it all depends on the match-up and the situation
but marth isnt reallly that good when it comes to being fired at with projectales,(i would know i used to main him but realized piakchu was 100000000000 times better)

Top Bottom