• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Picking up ZSS

Geese

Smash Cadet
Looking to see if ZSS would make a useful secondary or possibly replace my main, just wondering where to start. I played her back at 3ds launch but havent played her in a long time since. Any pointers to starting?

NoFall

Smash Rookie
ZSS is a very good character, but takes a lot of time to master. You'll have to learn how to use her tools the most optimal way depending on situations, and it takes A LOT of practice. She has a great punish game, but her neutral isn't the best. So, think about it a little more, because ZSS may not be your type of character.

To start off, I'd recommend watching VODs of top ZSS players, like Nairo, Marss, Remzi, Nick Riddle (has a YT channel dedicated on ZSS, he produces good content), Take 5 (he isn't a top player, but he makes great combo videos).
As you can see, I can't list them all, but there are more.

There are also some good guides out there, just search them on the ZSS boards.
I'd like to mention a guide that helped me a lot when I started using ZSS, props to chris1885.
And then... Practice. Practice A LOT. ZSS is NOT an easy character, trust me. It will take time, but everyone can do it with enough practice. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
What I reccomend is play some games on FG as ZSS, save the replays, and then watch them over and over again, then ask yourself this question: "what can I do to improve my basic ZSS play?" This is something I do for every new character I pick up. In my opinion, combos and other crazy moves come AFTER you understand the basic cocept of how the character works. By the time you know what they are good at and what they are bad at and what gives them the advantage and what gives them a disadvantage, you can then start getting more creative by practicing combos and what-not.

For example, ZSS has a very long tether grab but can be punish pretty badily if missed considering it has a significant amount of end lag. Let's say you are playing FG and you keep missing those grabs because the grab comes out too late and I basically slide past my opponent when the grab is innitiated. After realizing my mistake I can then say to myself, "well considering ZSS is a decently fast sprinter and kind of slippery, it would be best if I did the grab earlier." Realizing one mistake can lead to great reward and giant improvement!

Once you know how to consistently use your character's moveset to their true potential, go on YT and see how others play ZSS. They can give you some good food for thought on the technicallity behind ZSS.

Geese

Smash Cadet
What I reccomend is play some games on FG as ZSS, save the replays, and then watch them over and over again, then ask yourself this question: "what can I do to improve my basic ZSS play?" This is something I do for every new character I pick up. In my opinion, combos and other crazy moves come AFTER you understand the basic cocept of how the character works. By the time you know what they are good at and what they are bad at and what gives them the advantage and what gives them a disadvantage, you can then start getting more creative by practicing combos and what-not.

For example, ZSS has a very long tether grab but can be punish pretty badily if missed considering it has a significant amount of end lag. Let's say you are playing FG and you keep missing those grabs because the grab comes out too late and I basically slide past my opponent when the grab is innitiated. After realizing my mistake I can then say to myself, "well considering ZSS is a decently fast sprinter and kind of slippery, it would be best if I did the grab earlier." Realizing one mistake can lead to great reward and giant improvement!

Once you know how to consistently use your character's moveset to their true potential, go on YT and see how others play ZSS. They can give you some good food for thought on the technicallity behind ZSS.
I dont got good enough internet for for glory

LouLouXz

Smash Rookie
Yes i made this video, no I'm not trying to get "views". I genuinely believe this could help you :)

Top Bottom