• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Picking up Shiek. Vids. Critique please.

DyceDarg

Smash Cadet
Just watched video number one (I'm sorry...do you expect me to watch all of those? X_x;) and judging by your playing style (just that one video, so don't blame me if I'm terribly wrong) you don't throw a lot? Throwing can be useful to Sheik, especially in combos. I know a favorite of mine is down throw to down/forward tilt (depends on the damage) to a f-air. Also, don't be afraid to get off the stage and f-air edgeguard them like you did in the last 5 seconds of the video. Needledropping is really useful against spaceys by the way. Jump canceled throws would've done wonders though, but pretty good if you're just picking Sheik up O_o.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I don't grab as much as I should, but you really should watch all those vids.

And yeah, I pretty much picked up shiek that day, lul.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Don't walk so much with f-tilts lol, it can get CCed really easily into grabs.

When you play against falco remember that against mid or high lasers you can dash attack falco under the laser.

If they shoot low lasers you can just aerial over them.

Make sure to learn needle grab its really useful especially against falco. You can even do needle grab if you throw out your needles on his shield as long as you do it at a certain height. It also depends on how many needles have.

For a thinking aid, if you have a full 6 needles you can throw all of them still being in the air like say if your feet are on or in his face. The last needle will have enough stun for you to grab them.

Don't always come back on the edge with a fair, its a common mistake too many sheiks do. Try other things, waveland into shield, shino-stall, roll, stand up, get up attack, mix it up.

I only watched the first game... because I didn't know what to pick LOL. I guess I can try to look at others later.

Funny sheik, I think if you keep at it you can get a great sheik though :bee:

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
The Sheik boards are lazy, wow. I've got easily double, or triple the material on the fox and falco boards, and they had no problems watching all the vids.

Really, you only need to watch like 1 or 2 videos from each of those listings to get a good idea on what i need to work on, since many of the games are just repeats of the others.

KirbyKaze and Tec0 covered most of the things I need to work on, but i'm always looking for help.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
hmmmmmm......We try..

Anyway, I watched three of your vids. I don't have much to say that isn't already said except that you need practice. As you noted you just picked up sheik, it looks like it. You mainly need more experience, you obviously have a solid basis in melee, just with a different character. You don't know what works and what does with sheik.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
One thing, if you do land a f-tilt on fox and they either don't CC or you do it when they are in the air.

At low percents grab. At mid-high percents you can just fair them or you can f-tilt them if they DI toward you.

Try double jump fairing when you try to end your combo. It makes it easeir to hit.

D-smash on shield a lot is :(.

CC grab or dsmash is :bee:

Upsmash OOS was funny :laugh:

And slick movements on one of the games vs PS that waveland fair was hawt =D

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
upsmash OOS is a habit from Fox. XD

It works sometimes, tho. :3

Looks like I won't be going to devastation. Fack. x[

*Edit*

I have a good idea on what to do, and not to do with shiek, but yeah. I've got the technical prowess from being a spacies main, and having an average level of knowledge with shiek just because of occasional dabblings. I'll improve when I go to more events, which might not be happening anytime soon, since I'm moving to Oregon.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
The Sheik boards are lazy, wow. I've got easily double, or triple the material on the fox and falco boards, and they had no problems watching all the vids.
Fox and Falco boards are just a bunch of crack-addled 14 year olds, or black people (or people trying to be black). Please don't use them as the standard for smash video interest.

edit: they also have M2K clones.

soap

Smash Hero
after falling needles, grab instead of doing ground moves. connects better, and has better payoff than ftilt

if the timing of the last needle was not precise and u suspect a move to stop the grab, shffl fair over it.

against falco, just dash attack more, and make your needle setups less obvious.

If u do a jumping charge, that typically signals them to move out the way. Charging in the air also halts aerial movement. Just wait till u are spaced and falling, then tap B once to release. Jumping charges are still useful for storing needles in between lasers and stuff.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I play my Falcon like that, lol. the majority of my Falcon's game revolves around moonwalking, and falcon kick. <3

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
Fox and Falco boards are just a bunch of crack-addled 14 year olds, or black people (or people trying to be black). Please don't use them as the standard for smash video interest.
^This post is genius! :]

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
I wonder if the moderators would allow for a poll of the racial mix of sheik players. It only seems fair that we should know what type of people pick sheik.
The spacies know that they're black or want to be, the peach players know that they're gay, fat, or a girl (possibly all three), and the marth players all just want to be m2k. But who are we?

soap

Smash Hero
first match against marth u wavedashed back and downsmashed, then got grabbed.

There were some other uneccesary looking stuff like that.

Be more efficient is my only advice.

Sean is a beast, good to see him playing still.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Falcon is my worst match with Shiek.

I can't tech chase. It's a lot harder than Magus makes it sound.

...Unfortunately I don't have videos showing what I'm having trouble with. I was too lazy to hook up my friends capture card today.

soap

Smash Hero
Falcon is my worst match with Shiek.

I can't tech chase. It's a lot harder than Magus makes it sound.

...Unfortunately I don't have videos showing what I'm having trouble with. I was too lazy to hook up my friends capture card today.
i have similarly crappy reflexes

dont regrab. if they tech away, dash attack. if they do anything in place, down smash or utilt if they are close enough.

its not the most efficient punishment, but its easy to be consistent at.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Falcon is balls

until you realize that

while it's true

you can **** the balls off him

in the long combos

/ punishment game if

you get good at it, you

also don't really need to.

You're a

fortress of priority and

range, and lagless supremacy, while he's

this battery-powered turbo duck that waddles back and forth and periodically

crashes headfirst into said fortress of priority.

soap

Smash Hero
Falcon is balls until you realize that while it's true you can **** the balls off him in the long combos / punishment game if you get good at it, you also don't really need to. You're a fortress of priority and range, and lagless supremacy, while he's this battery-powered turbo duck that waddles back and forth and periodically crashes headfirst into said fortress of priority.
u should really use mango formatting for your posts

or plain old doublespacing if u r nub

Top Bottom