• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pick Your Pokemon Ricochet [Sign Ups Open]

D

Deleted member

Hi there! Welcome to the world of Pokémon! You can call me Juniper. But you'll hear people calling me the Pokémon Professor. Right! This world is full of Pokémon... And they're fantastic creatures! Pokémon possess miraculous power, come in all shapes and sizes, live in all kinds of locales... And they also know how to use guns.
It's through competitions known as Ricochet that the bonds of trainers and Pokemon deepen, so let's get started, I'll explain the rules.

Da Rules
1. Each player starts out with 5 health points.
2. Each phase, players must perform a single standard action or Pokemon Move. These will be explained below.
3. Standard actions and Pokemon Moves are revealed publicly to the thread, but Pokemon moves will have the user's name replaced with the Pokemon's.
4. All players will have access to one(1) Pokemon, each with two(2) moves and one(1) Ability.
5. Players are allowed to talk in PMs as long as the Host is invited to them as well.
6. Only one player may win. No truces.
7. Please remain civil when playing the game, personally attacking or offending other users will not be tolerated.
8. Ragequitting, throwing the game or playing against your win condition will result in the user being banned from future games.
9. Inactivity(3 consecutive phases without sending in an action) will result in a player being disqualified.
10. Phases will last 24 hours each, time for the start and end of each phase TBD.

Standard Actions
Shoot [Player]: If you succeed, the player will lose 1 Health Point.
Shoot Self: If anyone else tries shooting you while you do this, the shot will deflect back onto them. If nobody is shooting you, you will shoot yourself and lose 1 HP.
Shoot Air: The player will shoot the air thus shooting nobody but leaves themselves vulnerable. Default action taken if no command is sent in by deadline.

Game-specific Rules:
1. Every player gets to choose any one Pokemon(and their two moves) during pre-game by sending a PM to the host after signing up. Any Pokemon can be picked, there are no restrictions to this and than two or more players can pick the same Pokemon. The moves picked must be able to be learned by said Pokemon ingame, however.
2. Their Abilities will be based on their ingame counterparts but with the game's balance in mind so they may not fully reflect their ingame counterparts.
3. Moves are to be used in the place of Standard Actions and as such cannot be used in conjunction with them.
4. Each move has a set PP indicating how many times it can be used during the game.
5. Abilities are passive and will either remain active during the entire game or activated as soon as their conditions are met.
6. Pokemon typing matchups do not affect the game in any way.

So trainer, which Pokemon will you choose to follow you on your journey?

[As a final note, this game is not planned to start until Spirits Ricochet is finished. This thread is being put up so I have time to make the Pokemon roles players will choose.]

Player list:
  1. Just a penguin Just a penguin - 5/5 HP
  2. Roberk Roberk - 5/5 HP
  3. Moydow Moydow - 5/5 HP
  4. giraffelasergun giraffelasergun - 5/5 HP
  5. Alice Phantasma Alice Phantasma - 5/5 HP
  6. Fire Emblemier Fire Emblemier - 5/5 HP
  7. Pokechu Pokechu - 5/5 HP
  8. #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu - 5/5 HP
  9. Lore Lore - 5/5 HP
  10. UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin - 5/5 HP

Last edited by a moderator:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Do we PM you to sign up or just sign up on this thread?

D

Deleted member

Oh right, I should probably say: you are allowed to pick your moves as well. I thought it would be best if I did that but I think players choosing their moves is the best way to be impartial about it. I'll edit the rules to reflect that
Do we PM you to sign up or just sign up on this thread?
You can sign up here but PM me to choose a Pokemon

D

Deleted member

Let me thi-NO.
You'll just find some way to make the game as miserable as possible for me.

Shame too, because I already know exactly the set-up I'd choose.

D

Deleted member

Hmmm, thinking it may be better to have everyone start with 7 HP. 5 HP might restrict what I can do with numbers.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Ima in this bad boy.

Alice Phantasma Alice Phantasma Pokechu Pokechu #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Nabe #HBC | Nabe UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin Y You all should too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Shishœ is there a deadline when we should have our pokemon in by? Or is it more of a "sooner rather than later depending on when Utop's game ends" kind of thing?
Hmm. This came up out of the bleu and there was definitively no possble way I could have potentially fathomed that this game would ever have come into existence. Funny how that turned out, you caught me at a moment of completely blindness and desparation of me not knowing that /in a new game was on the horizon. There could not possibly be a way for the game's conception to ever be leaked to humble ole me.

Alice Phantasma

Smash Apprentice
I think 5 is a fine number if every attack does one (and maybe a few do two) but I think Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa and Alice Phantasma Alice Phantasma (and maybe Dooplissity Dooplissity not 100% sure if he has Ricochet experience) probably have a better understanding of mechanics than I do.
Both can work depending on what you want to do with numbers. I plan on 5 if I eventually run the artifact ricochet I want to make but I usually put in several healing artifacts too. I'd probably up it if you want a longer game or don't have consistent healing to make someone with 5 hp just disappear.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Hmmm, thinking it may be better to have everyone start with 7 HP. 5 HP might restrict what I can do with numbers.
It probably depends what you want to do, but if you want moves that do more than 2 damage, or have a lot of 2 damage moves going around, then I think 7 HP would work better. Though like Alice said, if you have healing abilities/items in the game then 5 can work too.

D

Deleted member

Well, I'm gonna implement items so I think 5 HP might be good

D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post
Items only Moydow will get because favoritism and bias.

Because apparently saying the other word is infraction-worthy despite people using it all the time elsewhere on these boards.

D

Deleted member

Hell with it, I'm /in only to prove my point that I will be deliberately be dealt a poor hand.

D

Deleted member

Hell with it, I'm /in only to prove my point that I will be deliberately be dealt a poor hand.
Your request has been denied by the host. All you've done in here is attack me for no reason and I do not want this sort of behaviour in my games.

D

Deleted member

Your request has been denied by the host. All you've done in here is attack me for no reason and I do not want this sort of behaviour in my games.
"For no reason"

Because outright harassing me, continuously lying to my face about it, and then trolling me in the previous game to the point I didn't want to comtinue is "no reason".
But by all means, act like you didn't literally go out of your way to make the experience miserable for me for your own amusement.

D

Deleted member

"For no reason"

Because outright harassing me, continuously lying to my face about it, and then trolling me in the previous game to the point I didn't want to comtinue is "no reason".
But by all means, act like you didn't literally go out of your way to make the experience miserable for me for your own amusement.
So you admit you're attacking me?

And when did I ever harass you? All I ever did was playfuly tease and ****post during a game.

Im in.

Cant believe I got dragged back to this site. Just DM me on discord or twitter when it is going to start. . hopefully no where near finals
:061:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So you admit you're attacking me?

And when did I ever harass you? All I ever did was playfuly tease and ****post during a game.
I admit to nothing.
Just as you do. "Playfully tease and ****post" my left cheek. You are a terrible liar.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
/in just like my belly button

thank you Shish for hosting!

Dooplissity

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think 5 is a fine number if every attack does one (and maybe a few do two) but I think Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa and Alice Phantasma Alice Phantasma (and maybe Dooplissity Dooplissity not 100% sure if he has Ricochet experience) probably have a better understanding of mechanics than I do.
I do, I just think it's a pretty lame game so I don't tend to play it.

I actually think doing the Awesomenauts thing and buffing all the numbers so you can get granular when you need it is best. What they did is multiply every hp/damage number by 10x. This allowed them to balance a bit better, since they could make an attack that used to deal, say 2 damage in the old system (and 20 in the new one) deal 23 if it needed to be buffed, or 18 if it needed to be nerfed, or whatever, whereas in the old system they could only nerf to 1 or buff to 3 since it was all integer values.

Given that it's Pokemon, why not start everyone, at say, 50 or 70 health, and make basic attacks do 10? It fits the flavor, and it opens up design space that's more awkward to deal with in a smaller number system, like having Burn actually halve someone's basic attack power without it being either brokenly good (1->0) or useless (1->1).

Last edited:
/out

yeah this forum's staff and users has proven I have no reason to be here. Not going to be in a place that coddles people who say ****ed up stuff

D

Deleted member

@ players who have yet to message me their Pokemon choice:
pls do

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I'm here and I've already gained access to Shish's account so I can get the strongest abilities and guarantee my victory, so the rest of you should just surrender now and make it easier for all of us.
:foe!:

Top Bottom