• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pichu in Ultimate: Joke character again or Buffed?

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
This is something that i've been wondering from the moment he appeared on screen in the Ultimate announcement. Its pretty well documented that Pichu was introduced in Melee as a joke character, with an intentionially awful mechanic and low powered attacks. But will this still be the case in Ultimate? I'm really hoping that although he is keeping is self harm mechanic, that he will have advantages over Pikachu to compensate for it. How do you guys think they've approached him his time, based on what we've seen so far?

Almand

Smash Journeyman
I think she's been reimagined like any other fighter, so buffed. We haven't really seen much of her at all, but I'd love to see her as a glass cannon. She was lighter than Jigglypuff in Melee, so bringing that back while making her able to rack up damage and kill effectively would be really nice. But you have to be precise, or you'll take 30% in recoil by the time you actually hit your enemy. Kinda like Mewtwo in Smash 4, but even more skewed.

Hekpo

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBenFactory
Switch FC
1085-1940-2511
I think that maybe his attacks only hurt himself when it hits someone else. Also we have to remember that rage is now a thing, and maybe they keep it in Ultimate.

BlazeRelease

Smash Rookie
Keep Pichu super weak, but make the electric attacks trip the opponent easily. This way Pichu fights differently from pikachu, relying on recoil inducing trip setups to land extra hits or kill moves.

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
I don't mind it being a joke character, I just hope it isn't an exact clone as Pikachu; give it some different moves, it can still hurt itself though. I could already imagine the fun using Pichu online as they would get too cocky.

Almand

Smash Journeyman
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
I prefer using female pronouns for Pichu. I always kinda saw Pichu as a girl, even in the main series. Pichu doesn't have a gender difference, either, and its gender ratio is 50/50, so we really don't know.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I prefer using female pronouns for Pichu. I always kinda saw Pichu as a girl, even in the main series. Pichu doesn't have a gender difference, either, and its gender ratio is 50/50, so we really don't know.
But if we go by the almost canon theory of melee pichu evolving into brawl pikachu then it is male.
My uncle works at nintendo I would know

Last edited:

Almand

Smash Journeyman
But if we go by the almost canon theory of melee pichu evolving into brawl pikachu then it is male.
My uncle works at nintendo I would know
I am Nintendo, half of Pichu's alts are male, the other half are female.

Almand

Smash Journeyman
If you ARE ninendo, then put waluigi in smash as an actual playable character
Look, I'm not supposed to tell you this, but he's coming to Smash 6. He gets a game on the newest portable system:

It's called Waluigi's Condo, and he'll become so pupular afterwards that he's added to Smash, while every other character is cut.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Well in the reveal trailer it shows him charging a limit style bar when ever he damages himself so perhaps it acts like dischrage in the other games where perhaps he gets a more powerful smash attack or special attack. Like a massive thunder style rest.

Hekpo

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBenFactory
Switch FC
1085-1940-2511
Well in the reveal trailer it shows him charging a limit style bar when ever he damages himself so perhaps it acts like dischrage in the other games where perhaps he gets a more powerful smash attack or special attack. Like a massive thunder style rest.
Really? Can you show me this, or at least decribe where/when it was. Thanks for the find

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I feel that Pichu will still be the lightest fighter in the series, but will receive improvements so that even if it does take damage from its own attacks, they'll be highly rewarding when they do hit their mark.

Hekpo

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBenFactory
Switch FC
1085-1940-2511
Ohhhhhh!!!! I found what your thinking of.
In this picture I try and show you that the video maker just takes out the section on the bottom, and zooms in. Making that orange bar, but that's actually the platform itself. Not "limit" AWWWWWWWWWW! I got my hopes up for nutn!

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I feel that Pichu will still be the lightest fighter in the series, but will receive improvements so that even if it does take damage from its own attacks, they'll be highly rewarding when they do hit their mark.
Make it so that his combo game is absolutely ridiculous and make his damage output similar to that of cloud and there you go, he's balanced.
Also throw in a few good kill options like maybe a fair like they did with pikachu, maybe dash attack too.

D

Deleted member

I think he'll get a few tweeks because he's not labeled as an echo fighter. Plus you always have to remember rage is a thing now so if the tweeks are good ones he could be one of the most interesting characters. Idk, I see around like Mid-Low Mid Tier.

Last edited by a moderator:

SwagGuy99

Smash Ace
I feel Pichu will be a combo machine with quick powerful attacks and fast air and ground speed and decent attack speed but will be the lightest character and have terrible range.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Ohhhhhh!!!! I found what your thinking of.
In this picture I try and show you that the video maker just takes out the section on the bottom, and zooms in. Making that orange bar, but that's actually the platform itself. Not "limit" AWWWWWWWWWW! I got my hopes up for nutn!
Dammit that sux lol sry guys

Almand

Smash Journeyman
So, aside from the weight, pikachu?
Even more insane. Near Falcon-levels of ground speed, Mewtwo/Wario-levels of air speed, Shiek-tier frame data, and Bayo-level combos. Along with a few kill moves. I think combo and kill tools should deal self-damage, so that's the double-edged sword.

So basically the level of glass cannon that Mewtwo is, but even dumber. Pichu can take you 0-to-100% and then kill, but she'll take 25% or so herself, like a third of the way to kill %.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Even more insane. Near Falcon-levels of ground speed, Mewtwo/Wario-levels of air speed, Shiek-tier frame data, and Bayo-level combos. Along with a few kill moves. I think combo and kill tools should deal self-damage, so that's the double-edged sword.

So basically the level of glass cannon that Mewtwo is, but even dumber. Pichu can take you 0-to-100% and then kill, but she'll take 25% or so herself, like a third of the way to kill %.
There's no way he would be faster than pikachu on the ground, frame data, pichu already has that, also being a pika semi clone he's also going to have a decent at worst combo game and if we look at melee pichu then he will also have some decent kill moves, up smash probably being the best.

Almand

Smash Journeyman
There's no way he would be faster than pikachu on the ground, frame data, pichu already has that, also being a pika semi clone he's also going to have a decent at worst combo game and if we look at melee pichu then he will also have some decent kill moves, up smash probably being the best.
We can hope he'll be stupidly unbalanced between survivability and combo/damage-racking/killing ability. I'm an advocate for it, at least.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So, aside from the weight, pikachu?
I feel that Pichu's electric attacks may end up being stronger than Pikachu's, simply because there's a damage penalty for using them. However, there has to be some sort of reward for putting Pichu at risk, but knowing that Skull Bash is likely back, the chances of seeing Pichu have Reversal are not good.

Reversal would basically deal greater damage as Pichu's current damage increases.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't understand what you mean by "reversal". Also, yes, both characters have skull bash for sure.
Reversal is a Fighting-type attack from the Pokemon series. It basically deals greater damage to opponents when the user's current HP is low.

Hekpo

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBenFactory
Switch FC
1085-1940-2511
I know that, but do you mean like counter. Like the Move Reversal added to Pichu's moveset as a counter? All of his moves were revealed (except Neutral B, idk about that one).

Edit: Grammar fixes

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I know that, but do you mean like counter. Like the Move Reversal added to Pichu's moveset as a counter? All of his moves were revealed (except Neutral B, idk about that one).

Edit: Grammar fixes
Reversal wouldn't operate like Counter. It would've been an attack that takes a page from Lucario's Aura mechanics, where it's not very powerful if Pichu's damage is low, but as Pichu's current damage increases, the attack's damage output would gradually increase as well.

But this pretty much won't be happening, so the damage penalty that Pichu receives whenever it uses its attacks won't do anything good for it.

Master_Gamer

Smash Cadet
Keep Pichu super weak, but make the electric attacks trip the opponent easily. This way Pichu fights differently from pikachu, relying on recoil inducing trip setups to land extra hits or kill moves.
In the individual character video, it is clearly shown that at least one of Pichu's attacks does trip characters!

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I hope it's a legitimately valid alternative to Pikachu this time around. They didn't characterize it as an Echo Fighter, so, I really hope not all of the differences are negative ones.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Honestly I’d be cool if Pichu was still a joke character. Just for that rare - but great - feeling of beating someone with Pichu.

I missed him so much.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I hope it's a legitimately valid alternative to Pikachu this time around. They didn't characterize it as an Echo Fighter, so, I really hope not all of the differences are negative ones.
My best hopes would be that Pichu's attacks deal stronger knockback to compensate for the damage penalty. The attacks don't necessarily have to deal more damage than Pikachu's attacks, however. The knockback increase would also reference Pichu's Pokedex entries in that it can't store electricity very well, and can give even adult humans a big shock.

For one example, Pichu's Thunder could deal 15% damage, just like Pikachu's Thunder. However, Pichu's Thunder would deal stronger knockback (maybe something like 60 BKB and 90 KBG) to compensate for the 2.9% damage penalty that Pichu receives.

Top Bottom