• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Phrygia's Notebook - Lucas Matchup Discussion

Samwonders5

Smash Rookie
NNID
Samwonders5
Completely irrelevant to anything said in this chat probably, but here are my notes for the Lucas vs. Olimar matchup.

Use low PK Fires, because he is a very short character. These PK Fires are capable of walling Olimar and killing most of the Pikmin he throws, except for the red one, which has fire resistance.
To kill the Pikmin sticking onto you, utilt usually works, except for yellow Pikmin, because they have electric resistance, and Lucas' magic moves count as electricity for some reason. To kill the yellow Pikmin a shorthop uair usually works.
Most of the time, you can ignore a Pikmin stuck to you, unless it is a white Pikmin. Kill these as soon as possible, as they will cause a large amount of damage.
The Pikmin count as projectiles, so you can actually fsmash them back at Olimar. This does leave you open for a bit though, so stay safe.
When he is offstage, you can use PK Thunder to juggle him and disrupt his recovery. It is more effective to go offstage and attack him, as he is vulnerable. Be careful though, as he can attack out of his recovery. This does stop his recovery though, so you can attack him pretty safely when he is below the stage and unable to reach a ledge.
You can NOT play full defensive against Olimar. You need to play aggressive, as Olimar is the one of the best "campy" characters in the game. Do not let his side special keep you away, he is trying to condition you. If you know he is going to side special, use an airdodge jump towards him and fair him before you land.
If he is running away, chase after him and establish stage control. Do not wait for an opening against Olimar. You need to make the openings yourself.
Pay close attention to what Pikmin he has at the front. If he has a purple Pikmin, he will likely go for an "approach interrupting" move. If he has a blue Pikmin, don't get grabbed, as blue Pikmin gives him a kill throw. If he has a white Pikmin, he is likely to throw it onto you, so be careful not to get it stuck to you.
Here are some statistics about each different Pikmin.

Red Pikmin
  • Low throw knockback and damage, easy combo followups
  • Resistant to fire, so PK Fire does not kill it
  • Second highest knockback from smash attacks and aerial attacks
  • 8% HP
Yellow Pikmin
  • Fly in an arc when thrown, can fly over PK Fire
  • Larger hitbox than other Pikmin
  • Electric properties, so longer hitstun
  • Resistant to electricity, so "magic" attacks do not kill it
  • Average throw/attack knockback and damage
  • 8% HP
Blue Pikmin
  • Highest grab knockback/damage, don't get grabbed by it
  • Average smash/aerial attack knockback and damage
  • Resistant to water, does not affect Lucas
  • Does not drown in water, only applies when playing on Delfino Plaza
  • 11% HP
White Pikmin
  • Increased grab range, space carefully
  • Below average smash/aerial attack knockback and damage
  • Does 40% damage if stuck to you and uninterrupted, kill immediately
  • No resistance, can be killed by anything
  • 7% HP
Purple Pikmin
  • Highest smash/aerial attack knockback and damage, Olimar's best kill option
  • Less range than the other Pikmin
  • Side special does knockback instead of sticking to you, can gimp you
  • No resistance, can be killed by anything
  • 13% HP

Spacing is key.

If these notes helped you out, you're welcome! :)

Any and all additional notes for fighting Olimar would be greatly appreciated.

-Sam the Commentator

Last edited:

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Hey :4lucas: Mains!!!! The Mega Man boards are currently discussing the Lucas mu along with the :4ness: mu for this week. If anyone here would like to give their input on either mu, it would be most appreciated. Thank you! :)

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
How well do your guys think lucas does against Cloud, diddy, mario and mk?

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
How well do your guys think lucas does against Cloud, diddy, mario and mk?
Against Cloud, Lucas does well because of his superior mobility and pk fire is a great tool to keep Cloud away. Lucas' floaty nature also makes it easier to escape Cloud's combos. Cloud is also suspectable to Lucas' combos. He can absorb or reflect Cloud's neutral b.
Lucas can expose Cloud's bad recovery and Cloud has a hard time intruding on Lucas' recovery because of the length of both the rope snake and pkt2.
Overall the matchup is good for Lucas.

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
Cloud has a hard time intruding on Lucas' recovery because of the length of both the rope snake and pkt2.
That's sure not true. Literally every move Cloud can put out interrupts Lucas while recovering, and plenty of them have giant hitboxes that stay out forever.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
Does he have to?
Why would he follow you all the way out there when he can just wait for you to come to him?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Being more specific, i'd like to know which rating would your guys give for the MUs I mentioned before.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Mario and MK seems really interesting to me, those are MUs that I've been having a hard time playing as Yoshi.
Maybe your guys could explain how Lucas is able to do well against then?

Last edited:

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice
Mario and MK seems really interesting to me, those are MUs that I've been having a hard time playing as Yoshi.
Maybe your guys could explain how Lucas is able to do well against then?
Mario cant use fireball, because we can absorb it, also were a floaty character wich makes it hard for him to combo us, mario relies a bit on grabs and his only projectile he cant use so he has to get in wich we can just hold him back with Z-air F-air and pkfire, for MK its probably even because he can kill us pretty early with his up special, but he also has to get in, but he is pretty light so we can kill him around 97% with downthrow upair, or kill him with an upthrow around 131%.

rocksareblue

Smash Rookie
NNID
rocksareblue
Mario cant use fireball, because we can absorb it, also were a floaty character wich makes it hard for him to combo us, mario relies a bit on grabs and his only projectile he cant use so he has to get in wich we can just hold him back with Z-air F-air and pkfire, for MK its probably even because he can kill us pretty early with his up special, but he also has to get in, but he is pretty light so we can kill him around 97% with downthrow upair, or kill him with an upthrow around 131%.
I've noticed w/ a lot of characters that have absorbent projectiles that it's smarter if they use these projectiles in a combo or to add pressure. You won't always predict Mario's fireballs unless he's spamming them so mix ups are where the projectiles come in (I don't spam PK fire against game & watch or ness players since they can use them against me).
I played a decent Mario in my region and he gave me a lot of trouble in friendlies (I went 1-3 in a casual set, my only win was thanks to a roll+roll+roll+u-tilt . . . cause he wasn't ready for the last roll ;) ).

In general, Mario can do standard Mario stuff, but fireball spam is out of the picture (I mainly say this because some players throw projectiles to cover high recoveries or to camp . . . and well . . . Lucas can absorb said projectiles, so there's no point in doing that).
You can still get the standard FLUDD+Cape Combo done to you if you're not careful (or of they're really smart/daring) while you're recovering.
PK fire and zair are good spacing tools but again, cape exist for a reason.
Mario is literally combo food once Lucas gets a good grab or string going (especially w/ DI reads) so that's definitely a plus.
In general, Marios have always given me trouble, so I'd say it's at least slightly in Mario's favor. This opinion might change as I face more Marios. But all of what you said is true as far as his grabs and combos are concerned. The Lucas player would literally have to be DIing in or not at all to get comboed consecutively.

And I totally agree w/ the what you said about the MK match up.

Berni_Alt

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed w/ a lot of characters that have absorbent projectiles that it's smarter if they use these projectiles in a combo or to add pressure. You won't always predict Mario's fireballs unless he's spamming them so mix ups are where the projectiles come in (I don't spam PK fire against game & watch or ness players since they can use them against me).
I played a decent Mario in my region and he gave me a lot of trouble in friendlies (I went 1-3 in a casual set, my only win was thanks to a roll+roll+roll+u-tilt . . . cause he wasn't ready for the last roll ;) ).

In general, Mario can do standard Mario stuff, but fireball spam is out of the picture (I mainly say this because some players throw projectiles to cover high recoveries or to camp . . . and well . . . Lucas can absorb said projectiles, so there's no point in doing that).
You can still get the standard FLUDD+Cape Combo done to you if you're not careful (or of they're really smart/daring) while you're recovering.
PK fire and zair are good spacing tools but again, cape exist for a reason.
Mario is literally combo food once Lucas gets a good grab or string going (especially w/ DI reads) so that's definitely a plus.
In general, Marios have always given me trouble, so I'd say it's at least slightly in Mario's favor. This opinion might change as I face more Marios. But all of what you said is true as far as his grabs and combos are concerned. The Lucas player would literally have to be DIing in or not at all to get comboed consecutively.

And I totally agree w/ the what you said about the MK match up.
yeah fludd doesnt work as good on lucas as on ness, because our pkthunder goes a longer way and we also have Rope snake to recover, but for the rest everything is right.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
How do your guys feel like about the Bayonetta MU? Saj recently put bayonetta having a 45:55 disadvantage in his mu chart and that made me really curious.

I'd also would like to know a little about Marth/Lucina, Roy, Toon Link and Rosalina.

Last edited:

Nohbody

Smash Rookie
How do your guys feel like about the Bayonetta MU? Saj recently put bayonetta having a 45:55 disadvantage in his mu chart and that made me really curious.

I'd also would like to know a little about Marth/Lucina, Roy, Toon Link and Rosalina.
one of central florida's loudest bayonettas insists that ness/lucas are the character's worst matchups out of the entire cast. And honestly, I can see it. Our multihits do well against her tall hitbox and low priority attacks. PK boys have amazing utility out of grab at all %s...possibly best in the game, and Bayonetta loses to shield fairly hard. If you can manage to get the grabs then the game is in the bag. AND we are floaty and small, while bayo relies on combos and early kills to do well in tournament. If any of her projectiles counted as energy (im looking at you, charged neutral b) then mwah I'd say for sure its in his favor.

Still, Bayonetta is potent against our slow, floaty landings. And she just has that bayonetta grime in general. For a lucas or ness to outgrime a bayonetta would require relentless use of all tech at his disposal, which means jab lock combos out of every grab at below %50 just to combat what bayonetta does by nature. The wave of optimized lucases is on its way for sure, but for now, it seems like people with that kind of focus and tech skill are using characters that will more reliably earn them money.

so I say 50 / 50. not so bad, it puts him at level with top 5

Last edited:
Top Bottom