• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phoenix Wright series (Ace Attorney Trilogy now on 3DS)

Sinn

Smash Lord
I felt the way they changed the investigation phases had its pros and cons. While it definitely made investigating less of a pain in the neck, at the same time it almost became TOO linear. All around I felt like the difficulty was a notch or two lower than in any of the previous games. I guess that's what happens when you have two or three competent lawyers at the defense bench at the same time. Still, overall I thought it was great, and definitely a sequel worthy of purchase. Fantastic plots and twists, beautiful visuals, phenomenal music, and the entire final case was like a beautiful letter to the fandom.

Secretly hoping they make more DLC cases. Or announce another game. I just want more AA~

Minato

穏やかじゃない
AA1-3 artwork looks great (AA4 still has some of the best art though)

Hope it gets released here despite owning the original. My only worry is that it seems to be based on the iOS port. :ohwell:

Edit: And I guess trailer because of more AA music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPmZlk7oOOM

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer

The thread's been quiet for a while, so lots of new stuff has happened in the last year:

New releases include Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, and the Phoenix Wright Trilogy on 3DS.

Coming out on 9 July in Japan is Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Adventure of Ryuunosuke Naruhodou, another spin-off set in Meiji-era Japan, and featuring Phoenix's ancestor as the main character. Unfortunately there's no word of an English release yet, but the trailer is available (with English subtitles) here:

Meanwhile, Phoenix and Maya have been confirmed to appear as a "Solo Unit" in the upcoming Project X Zone 2:

Elsewhere, the fan translation of Gyakuten Kenji 2 was completed a few months ago. You can download the completed version here. The game is amazing, and the translation is top-notch - a must-play for any fans of the series.

So, plenty for Ace Attorney fans to look forward to over the next few months (assuming DGS is getting an English localisation)!

Last edited:

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
I've been playing through Gyakuten Kenji 2, it's too bad that there won't be an official western or European version of the game. I'm planning on finally buying Dual Destinies after I beat it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
It's been a year since the last thread had some activity. Usually I would be ok starting fresh with a new thread, but the thread mostly quieted down just because we haven't had anything localized since AA5 and the 3DS compilation. I'll just merge everything since there is some content there instead of just locking.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
It's been a year since the last thread had some activity. Usually I would be ok starting fresh with a new thread, but the thread mostly quieted down just because we haven't had anything localized since AA5 and the 3DS compilation. I'll just merge everything since there is some content there instead of just locking.
That's fine, thanks. I actually didn't find this thread until Raziek linked to it - tried searching, and only found one in the archives, so I just went ahead and made another one.

also, the thread title here is forever out of date (since it's been inactive so long)... Any chance we could see to getting that updated?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I've been playing through Gyakuten Kenji 2, it's too bad that there won't be an official western or European version of the game. I'm planning on finally buying Dual Destinies after I beat it.
Yeah, it's especially disappointing given how good the game is. At least we got a pretty good fan translation to make up for it.

Dual Destinies is decent - big improvement over Apollo Justice, in my opinion (AJ is easily my least favourite game in the series). Not on the level of the first three, or GK2, but still worth a look.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Wow. Haven't seen this thread in a while haha.

I've been playing through GK2 as well. The translation team have done a phenominal job so far on translating EVERYTHING in the game. On case 3 right now.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Has anyone else played the Professor Layton crossover? I was really impressed with it for the most part, even if it does lean a bit more on the Layton side in terms of plot.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm still not sure which I enjoyed more, AA4 or 5. AA4 had weak middle cases for sure while 5 had much more interesting ones. My biggest beef with 5 was that it played it way too safe because of reasons. Takumi wasn't the writer of 5 since he was busy with the crossover, so they had to not touch some of the things he set up like the jury system. The stuff that they did touch I'm not sure how to feel.

Phoenix went through a lot of character change in 4. While we all love his old self, I wish they merged it with how he was in 4 a tiny bit. The writers went with their own idea of what the black psyche locks was, and I think it was a bit underwhelming. Apollo and Trucy got put aside mostly which is a little disappointing. With how the final cases of AA5 were, I think too much of it was a bunch of crazy coincidences which hurt it for me.

I do really enjoy the game. It just played the story and characters super safe because of what AA4 did and no Takumi.

I'm super excited for Dai Gyakuten Saiban though. I like Takumi's writing a lot, and he gets a lot more room to work with by having new characters. Being stuck to old ones is what hurt AA4 imo.

Last edited:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I'm looking forward to Dai Gyakuten Saiban, I'm glad to see the series finally change up the cast, I feel the series could easily get away with having different groups of lawyers to work with.

On AA4, while not my favorite, it's not my least favorite either. I really liked the main villain, Trucy is great, and I even enjoyed seeing Phoenix go through such a big change.

Least favorite is AA2. Outside of the last case(which is one of the best in the series) it just doesn't do much for me.

I finished AA5 a while back. I was really disappointed that it didn't have the jury system, but I enjoyed it well enough, especially the last case. Apollo should have had more screen time, but I like what they did with him when he was around.

I moved onto AAI2 after that, which became my favorite game in the series. The tightly connected cases and a bunch of great characters made it a great experience from beginning to end. It's a real shame we missed out on getting this game localized, but at least the fan translation turned out so good.

I have not played the Professor Layton crossover yet.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
AJ is by far my least favourite in the series. It's not entirely terrible, but there was still a lot about it I didn't like.

I've always felt that AJ would have been much better if Takumi had been left to his own devices, instead of being forced to shoehorn Phoenix into the story. The disbarment thing just about works, but it leaves no room for Apollo to develop as his own, unique character - he and Trucy just felt like weak copies of Phoenix and Maya. I appreciate that they wanted to introduce a new set of characters into the series, but in my opinion, it needed to be a clean break from the old, rather than dragging along Phoenix just because he's Phoenix.

I'd personally rate at least two of AJ's cases (the two middle ones) as being worse than JfA's infamous third case. Second case has Wocky, who was just hateful - I honestly didn't care about saving him at all - and the third case just felt so dragged out, what with having to watch that music video about 593 times, and the fact that you basically know who the real killer is, and a large part of how he did it, as soon as he's introduced, but have to spend ages running around the concert venue looking for clues anyway.

I didn't like how they handled Phoenix at all. I know Naruhobo has his fans, but I just didn't get it. It felt too much like it came out of nowhere, with no real explanation as to why he's acting like an arse other than "he got disbarred seven years ago". Even the one part of the game that's supposed to have "normal" Phoenix got him wrong - why is he being so arrogant towards Klavier? "There's no substitute for experience"? Really???

The soundtrack (outside of Apollo and Klavier's themes) was awful, in my opinion. The games always have such good soundtracks, that AJ's was such a massive letdown. I'd honestly struggle to name a third song I liked from the game. And don't even get me started on the cross-examination themes - those are usually a highlight, but here... ugh.

Should probably mention a few positives about the game... I liked the forensics sections, the few times they came up, and the writing, while it didn't stand up to the original trilogy for me, was still decent. The Gavin brothers were strong characters too, as they needed to be. Perception was an interesting idea too, but I felt like they needed to be a bit harsher about penalising incorrect perceptions, instead of just letting you throw it out as much as you liked.

...that went on a bit longer than intended, but anyway.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I've played the Layton crossover. Not that bad of a game. I feel it leans a little more on the Layton side, in terms of gameplay. I do like the cross-examination of multiple witnesses though. Glad that feature is making a return in DGS. After you beat the game, you get a few special episodes and a bunch of concept art.

Out of the original 3, I didn't like AA2 as much. It just didn't have as much "oomph" as the others. Apollo was okay. I did like the perceive system though. I will agree that the music is a little on the lacking side. Apollo's theme got even better in AA5.

Speaking of that, AA5 was really good, in my opinion. The transition to 3D models worked out wonderfully. The new gameplay elements, such as Athena's Mood Matrix. The thought route idea was really cool. It's a nice way to piece everything together.

Right now, I'm on case 3 of AAI2. I'm on middle, part 4. Yeesh. And I thought the last case of the previous game was long.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I really liked AA4's Phoenix and Trucy relationship. The father/daughter thing was great. They were off in their world on how weird they both were. What also hurt AA4 was it suffered that Street Fighter 3 syndrome where you wondered what happened to all those old characters that disappeared. AA2 and 4 are rather close to me. 2's strength was obviously its last case, one of the best in the series. The game mostly bridged the gap for AA3, but AA2 had some weak cases. I enjoyed 2's last case while in 4 I enjoyed mostly 2 cases.

I do think AA4's music isn't all that bad though and it has the best art direction of the series. (Dai Gyakuten Saiban is looking fantastic so far, however).

My least favorite is probably Ace Attorney Investigations 1. I missed courtrooms (while AAI2 felt better) and that last case did a number on my enjoyment.

Last edited:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
The last case of AAI didn't hurt my enjoyment of the game as much as it did for a lot of people. I enjoyed it a lot, and would put it high on my list if I was to order my favorite AA games. Probably just below AA3, right around with AA1.

Speaking of AA3, as good as it is, and it's really good, I feel it relied a little too much on the mystical side of things with how big a role the spirit channeling was. A small complaint, but enough of one that I'm kind or happy Maya hasn't had a major role since then. As fun as Maya was, I really don't want that element returning.

Phoenix and Trucy's father/daughter thing is great, easily my favorite part about Phoenix's story after the original trilogy. I also really like the idea of Phoenix's law office expanding with AA5, hopefully the next game won't play it so safe and will instead keep Phoenix in more of a mentor role and let the other characters shine.

As for music, there's plenty of good songs to be found throughout the series. I'd say that AA2 had the weakest soundtrack for me.
Apollo has my favorite Objection theme, especially the versions that show up in AA5. I definitely have an easier time finding songs I really like from AA4 than from AA2.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I'm looking forward to Dai Gyakuten Saiban, I'm glad to see the series finally change up the cast, I feel the series could easily get away with having different groups of lawyers to work with.

On AA4, while not my favorite, it's not my least favorite either. I really liked the main villain, Trucy is great, and I even enjoyed seeing Phoenix go through such a big change.

Least favorite is AA2. Outside of the last case(which is one of the best in the series) it just doesn't do much for me.

I finished AA5 a while back. I was really disappointed that it didn't have the jury system, but I enjoyed it well enough, especially the last case. Apollo should have had more screen time, but I like what they did with him when he was around.

I moved onto AAI2 after that, which became my favorite game in the series. The tightly connected cases and a bunch of great characters made it a great experience from beginning to end. It's a real shame we missed out on getting this game localized, but at least the fan translation turned out so good.

I have not played the Professor Layton crossover yet.

I think I prefer AA games without a jury.

Coincidences is the keyword of AA5's whole scenario.

I loved Apollo Justice, too. (AA4)

Little Dipper

Smash Rookie
I'm actually really surprised to see how many people actually enjoyed AA4. I thought I was the only one and my friends give me a lot of crap for it. I do believe that AA4 doesn't hold a candle to the original trilogy though (even though JFA for me was the weakest). That doesn't mean it was a horrendous game.

Moving on to Dual Destinies, it was a breath of fresh air for me. However, it seemed easy but I believe they were going for the whole, "this game is for helping newcomers to the AA series." However, I loved the new investigation modes and the opportunities to play as Phoenix, Apollo, and Athena. As much as I love Trucy, I'm glad she wasn't all over the place in DD because it would've been too much competing among the three main characters. I only wish that Apollo's bracelet was used more because I loved that feature. But the Mood Matrix and Thought Route was a great feature to the game. In addition, I loved Athena and Blackquill and the soundtrack was amazing.

I'd have to say my favorite case of all times though is Rise From the Ashes. I adore Ema Skye and I just love the dynamics of the case and investigation.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
AA4 just had some really weak side cases for me out of the series, it's the main part that hurt it most for me. But the series has my favorite art direction and a really solid soundtrack. One of the most consistent OSTs of the series imo. But yeah, I did enjoy AA4 a lot though.

I need to replay Rise From the Ashes again. I think I've ever only beaten that case once.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
The Ace Attorney 3DS themes are finally available for the rest of the world - two based on the original trilogy, and two of Dual Destinies.

Also the trilogy and DD are on sale on the eShop again until the 16th of July. The trilogy in particular is an amazing bargain - €22.49 for some 45 hours of gameplay.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I got both of those themes. First themes I actually bought on the 3DS.

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Naruhodō Ryūnosuke no Bōken is officially out in Japan now! The composer for the Professor Layton crossover did the OST for it so that's why it sounds pretty similar.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'll probably get those themes eventually. Also I really want a localization announcement for this game :(

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
I'll probably get those themes eventually. Also I really want a localization announcement for this game :(
I really hope Capcom doesn't shaft the fans again like they did with Miles Edgeworth 2. I'll be fine even if it's a digital release. ;~;

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Ace Attorney 6 announced. Playable at TGS. Features a quicker system to play (I quote). No further details announced.

We need that TGS trailer now.

EDIT: Western localization confirmed; yet no word on The Great Ace Attorney.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Ace Attorney 6 announced. Playable at TGS. Features a quicker system to play (I quote). No further details announced.

We need that TGS trailer now.

EDIT: Western localization confirmed; yet no word on The Great Ace Attorney.
Can't wait to see what AA6 will turn out like within TGS.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ Hopefully some more time that Athena being the leader attorney. I can't wait to see some gameplay.

Top Bottom