• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Media Phantom Phasing (Patch 7.0 buff/nerfed this tech)

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
UPDATE:
Patch 7.0 enabled jab, tilts, smashes, AND GRAB to activate Phantom early. They were usable on frame 67 before this, but they did NOT activate Phantom. This doesn't necessarily buff this technique any, but it is notable that they changed this tech without outright removing it.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I had been wondering about the specifics of this tech. I get it by accident sometimes but never knew the science behind it. Thanks for the post!

P.S. can't this also be done with A moves as well? I swear I've had it happen...

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
P.S. can't this also be done with A moves as well?
The game puts Zelda into an uncontrollable state during Phantom's charge, lasting 66 frames. In addition, there is a 67 frame window that allows you to cancel Phantom early by pressing B. So, on frame 67, you are no longer in the uncontrollable state but are still charging Phantom. You can do anything that you could normally do, but Phantom is only activated early by layering the B-inputs.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I had been wondering about the specifics of this tech. I get it by accident sometimes but never knew the science behind it. Thanks for the post!

P.S. can't this also be done with A moves as well? I swear I've had it happen...
Read the reserved post after the video. You predicted the future.

I38VWI

Smash Rookie
This tech always worked with normals as well as specials, and grab always worked with it as well.
If you have the Right Stick set to Smashes, Tilts, or Specials you can use that too.
I labbed this at launch, and usually opt to use c-stick down to get dtilt while launching Phantom so I'm 110% sure they didn't suddenly change the one-frame window arbitrarily in 7.0.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
This tech always worked with normals as well as specials, and grab always worked with it as well.
If you have the Right Stick set to Smashes, Tilts, or Specials you can use that too.
I labbed this at launch, and usually opt to use c-stick down to get dtilt while launching Phantom so I'm 110% sure they didn't suddenly change the one-frame window arbitrarily in 7.0.
I am 100% certain that it did not activate Phantom. I have labbed this out extensively.

Edit: You could cancel out of it on frame 67 no problem, but Phantom would activate at the end of the timer as per normal. The "change" that they did was that A and Z now activate Phantom when before it was only B. The change is not TARGETED at Phasing, but it affects it.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Okay, so, this tech has actually been known for awhile, Ven was the first Zelda to post it. It’s just called Phantom Cancel in the competitive community.

And as far as I understand, grab has always activated the Phantom, even before patch 7.0. I’ve done it on accident many, many times.

You can even use this tech with a fair or bair. Only really use I have found is using it in tandem with Phantom Slide, a different Zelda tech I discovered awhileeeee back that allows you to leave Phantom behind on a platform/ledge, while Zelda “slides” off. I find the Phantom covers jump, which makes coming at someone with Up B out of a Phantom cancel very surprising.

Top Bottom