• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide PH3AR TEH PHIR3: A Roy Guide

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
werd. i just think his dsmash is better then you give it credit for.

i just mess around with roy but i hit with his dsmash atleast

75% of the time.

but yea i got it.

Omni_Smash

Smash Apprentice
lol,

Roy's D-Smash really is more of a defensive thing for me as well unless I'm trying to mix things up after a forward air... hey that might work well on spacies O_O *runs to GC*

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
i like doing the Dsmash against Space animals or in the center of the stage if there's nothing better. but in all i don't like using the Dsmash for any reason besides mindgames. I am however experimenting with the strange hitbox on the Dsmash that spikes (or meteor smashes) you downward. They need to be close to directly under Roy. it may be a rumor, but it's happened to me twice, though since it was kongo jungle it could be a variety of things.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Dsmash spike? Doesn't seem like it'd be a meteor. I know the usmash has a spiking property... but it's tough to get.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Upsmash actually sucks your opponent down into it, probly so all of the hits will connect. If you hit with the tip and/or your opponent DIs heavy to one side, sometimes they pop out with a spike effect.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Its meteor smash, actually. It can be cancelled. (Not 100% sure though. Exarch, ninjalink??)
And its nearly impossible to do on purpose.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Usmash? There's a certain timing where you can hit people above you with it... and they get hit like once and get send straight down. I don't think it's a meteor, though...

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
no its not a meteor its a true spike, i was jus twondering how it works

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
It's a true spike. getting it to go straight down is tough though. i like doing i against luigi if he tries to get a Fair on me at the edge of the stage, a Usmash can spike him slightly left or right to get him off the stage. With Luigi's floatieness, medium weightness, and good recovery it's hard for me to get a kill move on him otherwise (I usually try edgeguarding).

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
well, what's done is done :p. anyway, this guide is amazing.

EDIT: can someone help against Luigi?

Zeonix

Smash Apprentice
I have a wicked easy time against Falco's, considering my best friend mains him and uses all the A-T's. But maybe it's just cuase I know all his mind games, Idk, easy matchup for me....

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Falco can be extremely easy or extremely hard. As long as you stay close and on offense, it can be good. but as soon as you space out, he'll SHL your *** and then combo you.

Renth

Smash Hero
Woah, definitely didn't see that coming. O_o And he left with such a fantastic guide...
Blue Link!?!?

The Blue Link!?!

Like the one I played 2-3 years ago in scranton? I went with the Cape, you were there with Reik. I was wearing a Trench coat and you thought I was going to blow the place up!

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Fox's dsmash has less knockback than his bair. Possibly his nair. Falco's dsmash also has a lot more knockback than Fox's.

YuanGabriel

Smash Rookie
Wow. I actually found this to be VERY helpful. I'm pretty newb-ish. I actually doubled in power in about 6 hours while applying most of the techniques in the guide. Thanks. :)

SSSnake

Smash Journeyman
i do realize this topic, and melee is a it old, but i have to say, roys counter can beat fox and falcos recovery, so he cand edgeguard and "punish" then for trying to survive :p

n1n10do

Smash Cadet
Eh, I don't think I'm going to take Roy seriously. I like the Link-Roy matchup though. Good guide by the way this is like the best one I read.

:phone:

Top Bottom