• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PGD4: I changed the title.

Thor

Smash Champion

Huh.

Not sure how you did that but aight. Thank ye kindly.

Oh he absolutely isn't. I used to see him from time to time in the Brawl PGD, but he's been pretty sporadic for ages.

I don't even know if he should be around, to be honest. Much as it sucks not having him about he's got kind of a full plate going and while I'd love to see him pop in and lay down the wisdom, I also want to see him succeed. If it's down between SB and kicking ***, we'll hold the fort.

Right attitude, too. Without him, we gotta step up.

And welcome aboard, good to have you about.
I share the sentiment expressed by Furret. I'm unclear on how A10theHero actually tagged him...

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Welp, time to reveal my secret.
Tagging is basically:

(USER = Profile #)The words that will highlighted(/USER)
Note: [ ] are actually used in place of ( ) in this.

So I got ESAM's profile #:
http://smashboards.com/members/fbc-esam.92614/
As you can see, it is 92614

And it was basically this:
(USER = 92614)[FBC] ESAM(/USER)
With [ ] instead of ( )
I've been here four...five? Five. Well, four and change.

Four and change years, and never figured this out.

avi_dunce.png

Seems I got all kinds of stepping up I need to do.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
Ignorant sounds malicious.
Oblivious less so.

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Ignorant sounds malicious.
Oblivious less so.
This is something I've had to define for myself. See, there's ignorance, and then there's stupid.

Ignorance is neutral; it regards only the lack of information.

Stupid is insidious. It's actively retained ignorance in the face of an obvious lack of information. Or, worse, it's clinging to the wrong information.

I can fix ignorance all day long, but I can't fix stupid.

We've all got brain problems.
I think mine is that I think I know things.

And then I explain them at length, to general chagrin.

Soul.

But then it wouldn't charge electricity.

All that training went to having a voice.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
So, Detective Pikachu already new costume material.

I'm just now reading up on it.

So far I've got "weakness for beautiful women," "really, really likes coffee," "somewhat self-important."

Where have I heard this before.

Oh, right.
GXKxNgy4.png

Gotcha.

Well I'm buying it now.

Last edited:

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Upon first sight, I seriously had Detective Conan / Case Closed vibes rushing through my mind with hints of Studio Ghibli whimsy, which got me squeeing. :D

I'd be incredibly surprised if it ends up also having the intelligently serious vibes of Umineko ni Naku Koro ni in terms of how the mysteries are handled (Blue Truths of Theories that can stand as THEE Truth until the Red Truths of Factuality come along to either confirm or crush them, please? With the bonus being dancably serious fight songs like "resurrectedreplayer" / "miragecoordinator" (it'd probably be too scary for something like this, yet it'd make just about any scene it gets used in to be epicly memorable... >_<) / "haze" by zts and "Core" / "Run" / "Final Answer (short/full)" by dai??), but I doubt it will. I'm more than okay with leaving out Umineko's trolling, depravity in the villains' actions (Ep3 Eva-Beatrice says hi....), and especially its penchant for raw terror (seemingly ANY occasion when "miragecoordinator" starts playing, anyone?), despite the trolling and terror being among my most favorite aspects of Umineko (alongside the mystery, of course).

Perhaps the epic blockbuster movie theatrics of the Ace Attorney: Investigations series would be present here? *Imagines Detective Pikachu throwing out "OBJECTION!"s, "HOLD IT!"s, and "TAKE THAT!"s during confrontations with witnesses, and squees!*
*Sees "really really likes coffee" above--* Godot! 8D

*Cue "Godot - Fragrance of Dark Coffee" by the Metamorphosis Jazz Band from the Gyakuten Saiban meets Soul Jazz album, and me imagining Detective Pikachu either suavely hanging out with a beautiful lady, or him spilling the beans on his backstory that may or may not be tragic*

As unlikely as that might be as well, I can at least imagine that series to have a more likely chance of being channeled than how Danganronpa handles its mysteries and courtroom trials....

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
*Cue "Godot - Fragrance of Dark Coffee" by the Metamorphosis Jazz Band from the Gyakuten Saiban meets Soul Jazz album, and me imagining Detective Pikachu either suavely hanging out with a beautiful lady, or him spilling the beans on his backstory that may or may not be tragic*
Think I just figured out how I want to spend my Saturday.

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it really is like Detective Conan, except that instead of being turned into a kid Detective Pikachu was a human detective turned into a Pikachu by nefarious criminals XD

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Maybe it really is like Detective Conan, except that instead of being turned into a kid Detective Pikachu was a human detective turned into a Pikachu by nefarious criminals XD
scream gif.gif

Detective Conan was the best~ :happysheep:

I would honestly buy the game if it was like that. But then again, I'd probably buy it anyway because it's a detective Pikachu

Thor

Smash Champion
So... that random "take over" with the whack messages... I only saw it on my phone, so I'm hoping there were no viruses lol.

I went to a weekly last Wednesday and got 2nd. I was moved from 10 to 6 on the local PR based on the end of last semester, and in that weekly, I lost to 1 3-0 in grands, split sets with #2 [losing WS 2-1 and winning LF 3-1], and beat 3, 4, and 5 on the PR in winner's 2-0, loser's 2-1, and loser's 2-1. I used both Cloud and Pikachu in every set. So I think my Smash 4 play is starting to look up somewhat [and while I didn't do as well at an event this past Saturday, getting 5th, I did let the #1 seed use any Mii he wanted, then beat him, then he switched back to his main (Meta Knight) and beat him again for the 2-0 in WQ].

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Nice, Thor! :)

So I asked ESAM while he was streaming yesterday to visit us on Smashboards more often but he said he doesn't like coming here because he doesn't like the arguing. Seems like a fair enough reason, lol; I don't blame him for disliking Smashboards for that reason. People do argue a lot about the competitive viability of character A or the under-representation of character B and so on. Though I still wish he would just talk casually with us here from time to time. :(

Uncle Honey

Smash Apprentice
What happened to that one thread about the platform thunder shield pressure?

Edit: nvm i found it

Last edited:

Uncle Honey

Smash Apprentice
Nice, Thor! :)

So I asked ESAM while he was streaming yesterday to visit us on Smashboards more often but he said he doesn't like coming here because he doesn't like the arguing. Seems like a fair enough reason, lol; I don't blame him for disliking Smashboards for that reason. People do argue a lot about the competitive viability of character A or the under-representation of character B and so on. Though I still wish he would just talk casually with us here from time to time. :(
Coming here is kind of a waste of time for him. He's more or less the authority and anything he doesn't know people immediately tag him on Twitter or tell him on stream.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Did you guys see ESAM's matches at Beast 6? They were pretty hype.
He got 3rd overall in singles. :)

Last edited:

Soul.

I didn't watch them on stream. The sets are up on YouTube now, so I'll probably watch them. Really nice to see ESAM getting 3rd though.

As an aside, that Greninja play from iStudying was amazing.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
ESAM's and iStudying's set was really good. There's a lot of gif-worthy stuff in there.
Unfortunately, there was a part where ESAM misinput Skull Bash and it cost him the match. He lost a lot of momentum after that, sadly.

Soul.

Something I saw in the video is how he used Skull Bash to get out of pressure in the air (when they went to play on Duck Hunt), or so he said in his Pikachu moveset guide video. Maybe it actually has a use outside of recovering from far away, lol.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Yeah, it can be pretty useful for mixing up your recovery and escaping from pressure.
It might even have some use in footstool combos. And recently, I've been trying to see if it has any use as an edgeguarding mixup.

This was the Skull Bash that made ESAM lose a lot of momentum, by the way:

Last edited:

Soul.

He would have definitely won the set if that misinput didn't happen.

I'm not sure how reliable footstools with Skull Bash may be. There's actually a video of it working on an idling Sheik but eh, I dunno. It's probably gonna have to be tested further. FAir to footstool at the end is really interesting though; reminds me of Fox's FAir footstool thing he does.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I've noticed that when something dumb like that happens, ESAM loses a lot of steam. He starts to struggle and it's kinda noticeable in how he plays. This also kinda happened when Mr. R took a stock by footstoolling him offstage during a match in the Winners' Finals set.

I'm still a little skeptical about footstool combos, but they're worth looking into. At low percents, I'm not even sure if they're that useful though cuz Pikachu has no problems racking up damage at that point. It's at the higher percents that matter more.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
What is Pikachu bad at? I pretty much suck against him with Meta Knight, and I need help. What is MK better at than Pikachu, and how can I take advantage of Pikachu's weaknesses?

Krubby

Smash Cadet
Hello! I'm a King Dedede main who's been practicing Pikachu because I've found all of Dedede's unwinnable matchups are handled well by pikachu. Basically I want to have a pikachu that specializes in beating Sonic, ZSS and Cloud, along with someone I can swap to if Sheik, Zelda or Captain Falcon give me trouble. Happy to be here!

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
What is Pikachu bad at? I pretty much suck against him with Meta Knight, and I need help. What is MK better at than Pikachu, and how can I take advantage of Pikachu's weaknesses?
This is not the place to ask that. We have a Q&A thread, so in the future, please post your questions there. :)
Anyways, we have a thread made specifically for the Meta Knight-Pika matchup. Granted, it hasn't been updated in a long time, but you can still find some useful information there. You should also look at the matchup thread on the Meta Knight boards, though I'm assuming you already have.
Meta Knight is better at killing and he has a decent range. Pikachu has the better neutral and they're both kinda difficult to edgeguard (though if you're not careful, you can get gimped if Pikachu takes you too low). In general, Pikachu has meh range and can struggle to kill. He's also light so he can die early. I'm not sure how you can capitalize on that though. Play footsies for a while and then start reading/punishing your opponent, maybe? I can't say for sure. You'll have to ask Meta Knight players for help in that regard.

Hello! I'm a King Dedede main who's been practicing Pikachu because I've found all of Dedede's unwinnable matchups are handled well by pikachu. Basically I want to have a pikachu that specializes in beating Sonic, ZSS and Cloud, along with someone I can swap to if Sheik, Zelda or Captain Falcon give me trouble. Happy to be here!
Welcome! :) Glad to have another Pikachu player here!

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
ESAM posted Deal With It: Meta Knight.

I recommend watching it. It's pretty useful. :)

On a related note, I think we should working on our matchup threads again. It looks like there aren't gonna be any more patches now, so we should start collecting as much information as we can and compile them into the threads. If you guys are okay with it, I can start working on a schedule over Spring Break and we can go over various matchups on a weekly basis.

Last edited:

w0ah

Smash Cadet
NNID
lanybobany
Does anyone else find that the Pika board is empty? Was it always like this or did everyone drop him or go to discord?

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
It's always been dead. :drshrug:
There have been repeated efforts in the past to make it more active, but the board has always been quiet. Part of it is because not many people main Pikachu to begin with (cuz of that high learning curve and huge punishment for lack of knowledge). It's also cuz Smashboards does lose people to Discord and Skype and such.

Thor

Smash Champion
Brawl Pika boards were active even when Brawl was quiet [it now exists mostly in Canada?]

Also, patch was released today, or else someone in a facebook group I'm in likes photoshop and a lot of time on their hands...

As a result, if there is a patch, my 3DS never used patch 1.1.4 [it's on 1.1.3 right now].

Last edited:

RudyTutti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rudy16100
3DS FC
4339-3054-4932
Hey guys! I'm a :4sonic: main looking to pick up :4pikachu:! I'm obviously new here, so where should I got to get started on this journey?

Thor

Smash Champion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5MCjSLKUUE

Esam's April fools joke.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know Esam's placing at Pound 2016? I missed parts of the stream but I know that esam didn't make it to top 8.
I think he lost 3-2 to Ally for 9th. Probably was using Corrin or something and not Pikachu for that MU.

Hi everyone!

And with that, I'm probably out again. If someone tags me I'll check back, but otherwise I'm usually on Smashboards to check other stuff and just forget lol.

Top Bottom