• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PGD: Happy Birthday, Red!

Vale

Smash Ace
Just tried out the online Pokemon TCG. Milotic is a stage 1 with a one-energy effect that lets you get ANY THREE CARDS from your deck. How is this not broken?

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
@ redfeatherraven redfeatherraven
building this EDH deck is seeming less likely. 100 cards is pretty rough to get to. I can only think of two options:

1. Weird mix where I fight your Commander deck with a Modern deck. Pretty sure I would have an advantage, but the recurring boss monster might actually be a problem.

2. We both download Cockatrice, allowing me to proxy up an EDH deck without gathering the actual cards.
In all fairness my deck is several years in the making, so I understand the dilemma. Couple of pointers though.

Monocolor usually limits you hard in this format, although black less than most. I would try expanding to at least a two-color deck - BU seems optimal. That may fix your card pool issues, although you're getting into the issue of appropriate duals.

You can also consider picking up one of the precons. The Bant, Esper, and Grixis ones all have some gems in them (although the lands are generally terrible). If you already have enough to build around you may even just pick up one of the better precon commanders - Derevi, from the 2013 Bant deck, is my current commander, and I've run Riku in the past - but don't pick up a precon just to get one of them, they're all worth about $2 a pop.

That all said.

1. Saying you'd have the advantage is an understatement. A decent Modern deck would have most Commander decks on the ropes before they got to play, a good one would have them on their knees. No bueno, no quiero.

2. That we can do.

He uses magic, and gets Rally Luck/Renewal from me, and Gamble/Quick Burn from you.
What is this Gamble/Quick Burn ****. Give the boy Armsthrift at least, come on. Just pick up a Second Seal somewhere.

There would be nothing left when I am done.
For some reason I died.

Just tried out the online Pokemon TCG. Milotic is a stage 1 with a one-energy effect that lets you get ANY THREE CARDS from your deck. How is this not broken?
Because breaking a game nobody plays is difficult.

I kid, I kid, there's a less harsh reason. It's because Feebas is a useless lump of floating dog ****.

Phantom Gamer

<font color="#ff00ff">pranked!</font>
was gonna say that Precon EDH decks is another option. That and also I feel you kinda missed out on the first Precon EDH decks where I think they're somewhat better than the second set, but maybe they're broken too. I've just never seen any of those second set Generals being used from my experiences with Prossh being the only exception.

I'd say out of the 5 EDH decks I have my best one is between the two from the first set of the EDH Precons.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
was gonna say that Precon EDH decks is another option. That and also I feel you kinda missed out on the first Precon EDH decks where I think they're somewhat better than the second set, but maybe they're broken too. I've just never seen any of those second set Generals being used from my experiences with Prossh being the only exception.

I'd say out of the 5 EDH decks I have my best one is between the two from the first set of the EDH Precons.
My Derevi deck I built on the sly, as a secondary, something to switch to when I got bored. It tore my Riku and my homie's Ghave to pieces and started getting a nasty reputation in my usual playgroups. It's now my primary, because of course it is. I've seen solid Oloro decks too.

Maybe those two and Prosh are the exceptions, and certainly Riku, Ghave, and the Mimeoplasm are all solid dudes, but I feel like it's less a power issue and more a usage issue. Sure there's greater and lesser potential, but most aren't terrifying mother****ers simply because nobody's loaded them up with terrifying mother****ing goodies and dropped them in a fresh steaming pile of terrifying mother****ers to make up a terrifying mother****ing deck.

Anyway he ain't missing a thing. Just about every commander from the first run is a $2 card on its own, and every precon needs so much tweaking to bring out its potential that only a handful of the cards need be snatched from any given one, most of which are also cheap. All the expensive stuff you would've had to buy anyway.

I thought I broke this long-winded habit back in 2012, what the hell.

Genetics are a *****. He can get it on his own, it's easy.
Excuses, excuses. At least put in the time to get him Swordbreaker.

GREAT!
Now i want Taco's.

Now I want Taco Bell.

Phantom Gamer

<font color="#ff00ff">pranked!</font>
Anyway he ain't missing a thing. Just about every commander from the first run is a $2 card on its own, and every precon needs so much tweaking to bring out its potential that only a handful of the cards need be snatched from any given one, most of which are also cheap. All the expensive stuff you would've had to buy anyway.
Eh, I just think getting a precon is a simple way to at least get some kind of EDH deck without all the planning on theme and the right cards to go with it for the time being.

And oh how I wish commanders from the first set were 2$.
Decided to check and my badass generals from the first set are $8 and $20, so yeah missing out on something.

=============

And in other news I had tacos for dinner today.

Vale

Smash Ace
finished looking through some cards and have a pretty bad version of a blue/black deck with Wrexial, the Risen Deep as the boss. Thinking of getting Phenax, God of Deception as a substitute later on. How did you want to play, Red? Is there some kind of IM thing we can use?

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
All these convos to juggle. Making me work tonight.

And oh how I wish commanders from the first set were 2$.
Decided to check and my badass generals from the first set are $8 and $20, so yeah missing out on something.
When I went to purchase the ones I got - being Ghave, Karador, and Wrexial - they were all $2. Now almost all of the legendaries out of the set are north of $7-8 at minimum, excepting a couple of garbage ones and, strangely, Edric. Somehow my dinky little $2 Animar went to a whopping $12 and change. I'll take a return on investment, sure.

Your point is otherwise now startlingly valid, but the prices are still manageable unless you're dead set on running Kaalia. And if you are, you both know what you're getting into and deserve to shell out.

He doesn't need swordbreaker, he's attacking from a range.
He doesn't need Quick Burn or Gamble, those are garbage.

At least with Swordbreaker if some Talisman-stuffed jackoff manages to close the gap he's gonna make them work for it.

finished looking through some cards and have a pretty bad version of a blue/black deck with Wrexial, the Risen Deep as the boss. Thinking of getting Phenax, God of Deception as a substitute later on. How did you want to play, Red? Is there some kind of IM thing we can use?
Haven't seen a Wrexial deck in action so far. Should be interesting. I will tell you that I have doubts about it transitioning well to a Phenax deck, though, since Phenax wants an entirely different kind of support.

You can find me on Skype under this same name. I can't guarantee my availability tonight, but I can guarantee I'll be checking.

Vale

Smash Ace
Haven't seen a Wrexial deck in action so far. Should be interesting. I will tell you that I have doubts about it transitioning well to a Phenax deck, though, since Phenax wants an entirely different kind of support.

You can find me on Skype under this same name. I can't guarantee my availability tonight, but I can guarantee I'll be checking.
Don't expect too much, it's more of "cool blue/black cards" than "Wrexial support"

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
He doesn't need Quick Burn or Gamble, those are garbage.

At least with Swordbreaker if some Talisman-stuffed jackoff manages to close the gap he's gonna make them work for it.
Quick Burn is just fine, and Gamble + Thunder magic is gonna make landing crits easier.

Swordbreaker is great, until the enemy picks up the lance or axe or bow that they might have. Then it's a wasted slot.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
I forgot to second seal my FeMU and now my morgan will never get galeforce :(
well, looks like armsthrift, swordfaire, ignis, astra, rightful king it is

PZ

Smash Lord
I am mildly disturbed at how many poses she can do to answer many questions in a vague yet understanding way...
Its like predetermined art that is mistook/misunderstood at first glance...but later finds purpose...

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Might I add that I approve of you calling him Fizzy as I do, Red. Also that I might add you on Skype at some point, but I'll most likely forget.

Top Bottom