• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PGD: Happy Birthday, Red!

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
dont support any type of verbal or physical punishment. positive punishment (adding of an aversive stimuli such as hitting or yelling) tells the child what NOT to do. it doesn't, however, tell a child what TO do. Reinforcement rewards a child for doing the correct thing, and in the future will result in the child repeating that behavior. the child is also MUCH MORE likely to repeat a good behavior due to reinforcement as opposed to not do a behavior due to punishment

when a child acts out, the best course of action is to let them whine until they realize they wont be rewarded. children tend to throw tantrums because they think they will be given what they want. by not giving them what they want, the behavior will diminish and become extinct if they realize it dosent result in being rewarded. cause and effect, its as simple as that

also, mother 3 i agree kinda now that it shldnt have been translated, theres some raunchy stuff that wldnt have got thru if it had been americanized lol

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
dont support any type of verbal or physical punishment. positive punishment (adding of an aversive stimuli such as hitting or yelling) tells the child what NOT to do. it doesn't, however, tell a child what TO do. Reinforcement rewards a child for doing the correct thing, and in the future will result in the child repeating that behavior. the child is also MUCH MORE likely to repeat a good behavior due to reinforcement as opposed to not do a behavior due to punishment

when a child acts out, the best course of action is to let them whine until they realize they wont be rewarded. children tend to throw tantrums because they think they will be given what they want. by not giving them what they want, the behavior will diminish and become extinct if they realize it dosent result in being rewarded. cause and effect, its as simple as that

also, mother 3 i agree kinda now that it shldnt have been translated, theres some raunchy stuff that wldnt have got thru if it had been americanized lol

http://********/images/y-u-no/pgd-y-u-no-listen-to-psych-major.jpg

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
what phoenix said. and timeout did not do anything for me, only the fear of pain actually got me to respond. im all for letting them know what not to do and if they dont do it, punish however you need to to get them to listen.

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
what phoenix said. and timeout did not do anything for me, only the fear of pain actually got me to respond. im all for letting them know what not to do and if they dont do it, punish however you need to to get them to listen.
But that's teaching kids to respect authority, not think for themselves.

That's how you get mindless people in the world, cause they only know how to obey, not push the limits and discover new things and act on their own.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
timeout is a FORM of punishment tho -_-.
hitting your kid to make them listen only makes them fear it, not challenge it. if theres no negotiation happening and its just listen or be hit, you arent giving the child an opportunity to challenge paradigms, your fitting them into a box.

like i said, the best possible way to raise a child is with reinforcement for good behaviors, but not punishment for bad ones. you can talk to the kid about why they did it, which is favorable t punishment. but hitting a kid only damages them psychologically, and timeout dosent teach. another form of timeout you can do, is tell them you are going into another room, and when they are done being upset/rude/mean, they can come see you. that way, you arent exiling the child from yourself, you are giving the child time to reconcile with themselves and come to you

you dont have to agree with this and thats fine, im just saying that from many studies and professional works, this is the best way to raise kids.

you can read more if you look up Dr. Tasha Howe.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
i know im not ready for them.
i also learned in one of my courses this:

if you have kids it makes a bond that is extremely special and is hard to break, a bond that is amazing and many ppl cherish

if you DONT have kids, you and your partner have a lot more money to do what you want, you arent tied down anywhere, your love life is still amazing, etc

when you have kids, you can never reach a love life/feeling of closeness that was the same as BEFORE you had a kid

just some food for thought lol

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
^ you can do that with punishment. its how i was raised and i can tell you i dont "only obey" and i definitely think for myself lmao

timeouts teach kids that in the real world punishments are too lenient and you can get away with a lot <------- trufax

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
:| I want kids, in the future of course.

If my kids put me in rage mode, they getting a beating. I'm just hoping they won't though. There are sometimes were a beating is what will get the message through.

I agree with stealth, too lenient if you go with timeouts. That's too easy to get over.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
^ you can do that with punishment. its how i was raised and i can tell you i dont "only obey" and i definitely think for myself lmao

timeouts teach kids that in the real world punishments are too lenient and you can get away with a lot <------- trufax
case studies dunt show evidence kthxbye

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Yea, you have to be terrifying and instill fear like the kid feels so helpless that he/she doesn't even think rebeling is an option

Roller

Smash Legend

Extinction bursts so strong tho. =o (YEAH. I took Comm 111. get@me. *****.)

Also, I taught you to keep trolls from getting to you. By punishing your negative behavior... With more trolling.

Case study. WA BAM.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Before people jump on me as a child beater, if I was insane enough to have a kid' I would show him the right thing to do, why its a good thing etc etc and if at that point he still disobeys, spanking time. Won't go so far as to break skin or seriously injure, but the only reason why I'm not a ridiculously spoiled kid still struggling with autism was because my dad was hard on me when I needed it. I loved timeout, I could play games in my head all night long lmao

:phone:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Neutral on the debate.

Don't know if I want kids or not.

Thinking not.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Kids are only good for one thing: taking care of you when you're old and decrepit. It's basically long term insurance, except the price is waaaay too high imo.

Also, I taught you to keep trolls from getting to you. By punishing your negative behavior... With more trolling.

Case study. WA BAM.
yeah like, you gotta hit em but at the same time say what you need to say on each hit like: DO(smack) NOT(smack) EVER(smack) DO(smack) THAT(smack) EVER(smack) AGAIN(smack) etcetera
^ Lol @both of those.

Phoenix Lord'

Lord' of the Night
Premium
NNID
HououDaimyo1010
3DS FC
3780-9286-8943
LOLOL kk. go hit your kids and let me know how that works out for you.
Challenge accepted! In ten or so years, when I'm punishing my kid for whatever reason, I'll tell them that their beating was preordained years ago on the internet by a person they don't know. When they (hopefully) straighten up I will then find out how to contact you, call your phone, shout "**** YO' CASE STUDIES!" when you answer, and then abruptly hang up without saying who it is. Please try to be the one to answer said phone when this happens, otherwise I'll just feel silly.

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
"Kloz do we get another badge for putting on an effing xmas hat this year? =o"

^^^I was going to ask that question, but clicked and saw the badges disappeared. I must be really out of the loop. =X

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Yeah, they were way too hard to keep up with. :ohwell: (SN: Do y'all remember when there were post count badges? Ooomg the spam, lol.)

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
lol pheonix. but you dont need to say **** yo case studies........because i already said they arent usefull unless its single case design, and not trying to apply to genearl population.

i'm not gonna argue sides on it as to WHY its bad anymore. u can beat kids if u wana, just know if you do theres better ways to raise a child and you are being selfish for not looking to alternative methods based on a "it worked on me" mantra. break the cycle, teach your kids to love :/

anyways, can i have a psychology badge?

Top Bottom