• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Petition to Nintendo to (Respectfully) Change Online Settings - Ideas for Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperNova7

Smash Cadet
NNID
2710-3292-9722
Greetings, all!

I'd like to generate some interest (or, firstly, see if there is any interest) in putting together a respectful petition (letter, petition or both) for Nintendo regarding the state of the online settings in SSBU. This would be a letter from the Super Smash Brothers community as a whole.

If nothing else, a written statement would reveal to Nintendo that their most ardent and loyal fans are upset if not extremely disappointed with the overall online experience of their new Smash Brothers masterpiece. These days respectful petitions and genuine complaints go much further than they did in the past. We, the gamers and consumers, have more power now than we ever have. If we want to see Nintendo make changes, then I believe we need to speak up about it.

I would be happy to compile the points/ideas and compose a letter for everyone to review upon sending it to Nintendo and mass posting it online.

Any thoughts?

- :starman:SuperNova:starman:

Last edited:

Wolfirre

Smash Rookie
Hi, i'm completely with you, and if you decide to do a petition, i and the french community as well will participate !
We have the power to change things, let's do it guys

HopeOfBlossom

Smash Rookie
I'm 200% with you. I hit 1 000 000 gsp with Lucina. No unlock of Elite Smash. Get 3 4 players matches in a raw. Doesn't win anything. I loose the 4th one for bull**** lag - 200000 GSP. Online is a mess. I'm not touching it until they change it.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
At this point, I feel like they recognize that the online is **** and are planning on releasing updates to improve conditions. Leffen completely blasted the matchmaking code on twitter the other day. I would think that SOMEBODY from Nintendo has to be paying attention to these forums or twitter to look for this type of feedback.

A petition is a good idea though. I have the feeling that the problem is already being addressed, but the difficult part is knowing if theyre actually working to change things... even with a petition.

SuperNova7

Smash Cadet
NNID
2710-3292-9722
Hi, i'm completely with you, and if you decide to do a petition, i and the french community as well will participate !
We have the power to change things, let's do it guys
I'm 200% with you. I hit 1 000 000 gsp with Lucina. No unlock of Elite Smash. Get 3 4 players matches in a raw. Doesn't win anything. I loose the 4th one for bull**** lag - 200000 GSP. Online is a mess. I'm not touching it until they change it.
At this point, I feel like they recognize that the online is **** and are planning on releasing updates to improve conditions. Leffen completely blasted the matchmaking code on twitter the other day. I would think that SOMEBODY from Nintendo has to be paying attention to these forums or twitter to look for this type of feedback.

A petition is a good idea though. I have the feeling that the problem is already being addressed, but the difficult part is knowing if theyre actually working to change things... even with a petition.
One would hope Nintendo is paying attention to their more competitive fanbase (heck, anyone who plays online for that matter) in regards to the flaws of online play, especially since they're now charging for online. However, again, I am not opposed to compiling a letter/petition in a proper format for everyone to present it to Nintendo - let's all just brainstorm some issues and grievances if so. Think about it, this game is supposed to be the magnum opus of Nintendo's Smash Bros series. We owe it to Nintendo to voice our concerns. Petitions can be effective. :)

P.S. Thank you for responding to my post. Let's do this!

:starman:SuperNova:starman:

Last edited:

SuperNova7

Smash Cadet
NNID
2710-3292-9722
Quote: "If we're making them change the online we should make them not charge for the online too."

I'd be willing to bet that they will not reverse their decision to charge for online (as Sony and Xbox currently do as well). Nevertheless, because we are now paying for this service, they may be willing to make positive changes to it. In this regard, we are Nintendo's customers not only for the game but for the continued use of the online play - that gives us a much stronger voice than simply playing for free online. If Nintendo wants their online service to grow, then they will want to make sure it is enjoyed by the fans, Smash fans in particular.

:)

SuperNova

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Quote: "If we're making them change the online we should make them not charge for the online too."

I'd be willing to bet that they will not reverse their decision to charge for online (as Sony and Xbox currently do as well). Nevertheless, because we are now paying for this service, they may be willing to make positive changes to it. In this regard, we are Nintendo's customers not only for the game but for the continued use of the online play - that gives us a much stronger voice than simply playing for free online. If Nintendo wants their online service to grow, then they will want to make sure it is enjoyed by the fans, Smash fans in particular.

:)

SuperNova
well if we can backlash the terrible online we could backlash against the fact that it's paid too. Just use the same steps as before.

The online was never free on previous consoles, but the costs were incredibly small and were easily covered using the cost of the game. The same is being applied to the switch so you're effectively paying for nothing..

But even then people were saying that super mario party online sucks. I don't see Nintendo improving that so I don't think Nintendo will improve this.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
Would calling Nintendo's customer service unit help? Maybe if enough people complained, they would be more likely to change things (or at least they would be aware of people's criticisms). Assuming they don't bring back "For Fun"/"For Glory", some of the improvements that could be made would be:
  • The matchmaking system (change the system so that one gets the rules they want 100% of the time, in a "preset" framework similar to Smash 4's online setup -- for example, a section dedicated to 1 vs 1 with no items)
  • The fact that one can't change characters when they do a rematch with someone (change it so that the character select screen appears between battles, similar to Smash 4's online setup)
  • GSP -- change it so that random free-for-alls with items on won't affect one's GSP
  • Add a tournament mode

Last edited:

SuperNova7

Smash Cadet
NNID
2710-3292-9722
Would calling Nintendo's customer service unit help? Maybe if enough people complained, they would be more likely to change things (or at least they would be aware of people's criticisms). Assuming they don't bring back "For Fun"/"For Glory", some of the improvements that could be made would be:
  • The matchmaking system (change the system so that one gets the rules they want 100% of the time, in a "preset" framework similar to Smash 4's online setup -- for example, a section dedicated to 1 vs 1 with no items)
  • The fact that one can't change characters when they do a rematch with someone (change it so that the character select screen appears between battles, similar to Smash 4's online setup)
  • GSP -- change it so that random free-for-alls with items on won't affect one's GSP
  • Add a tournament mode
Great, those are good points! I think mentioning Smash 4's online play would be smart; For Glory and For Fun modes were simple but to the point.

Also, I think we need to be able to message friends or at least have some type of "party up" option. What do you all think? It's bizarre to me that here we are in 2018 and Nintendo either has not figured out how to allow friends to join parties or does not want friends to have that ability (other than jumping into a battle arena) - heck, Bungie and Microsoft were utilizing this online capability in Halo 2!

It's also possible that Nintendo created their online system to discourage competitive play and encourage a more "family friendly" gaming environment. Any thoughts on that?

Regardless, below is a good start:

-Changes to matchmaking - similar to Smash 4's style (For Glory, For Fun - For Fun not tied to GSP).
-The ability to change characters after games and still have a rematch.
-The ability to easily party up with random players and friends alike.
-The ability to message other players and friends.
-The ability to bring friends playing on the same console into Battle Arenas.
-Adding more game modes for online play.

Anything else before I type up a petition on change.org?

Last edited:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
It's also possible that Nintendo created their online system to discourage competitive play and encourage a more "family friendly" gaming environment. Any thoughts on that?

I absolutely think that this is true. They have always tried to portray a "family friendly" gaming environment. They try to protect users from interacting with strangers in a negative way. As you and I both know, there's not even any way to send a message with the switch. I think their idea is that if you are truly friends, you will be able to contact someone outside of the switch to arrange some sort of meetup. They try and prevent people/kids from making friends with trolls/ill-willed people and then also prevent from them from easily contacting each other. They are effective in doing this, but they also negatively impact older gamers' online experiences due to the difficulty of communication. With that said, I dont think they'll add a message ability, but you are right. There should be an easier way to coordinate.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
If they just add another button with a default For Glory quick search with 3 stocks for 1v1 and 2v2 matches, it would fix half of the problems of the online of the game.

Then, who wants more customized battles can play on Arenas, and people that only want a for fun can use the implemented (terrible) quick play, using rules or not.

It's just bad that I must go into arenas to fight 1v1 matches and wait on lines, a thing that I dont want, when on the previous game I just pressed a button and the match begins. Looks like I lost features that the previous game did automatically. I need to find arenas, I need to find players, I need to wait in lines, I need to find another arena and stay playing with the same player on the same arena, afraid of leave the arena and take too long to find another, or I need to create an arena and wait someone to join (takes too long, while I see many arenas with people in lines). This is just not fun.

Last edited:

SuperNova7

Smash Cadet
NNID
2710-3292-9722
If they just add another button with a default For Glory quick search with 3 stocks for 1v1 and 2v2 matches, it would fix half of the problems of the online of the game.

Then, who wants more customized battles can play on Arenas, and people that only want a for fun can use the implemented (terrible) quick play, using rules or not.

It's just bad that I must go into arenas to fight 1v1 matches and wait on lines, a thing that I dont want, when on the previous game I just pressed a button and the match begins. Looks like I lost features that the previous game did automatically. I need to find arenas, I need to find players, I need to wait in lines, I need to find another arena and stay playing with the same player on the same arena, afraid of leave the arena and take too long to find another, or I need to create an arena and wait someone to join (takes too long, while I see many arenas with people in lines). This is just not fun.
Well said, my friend. Well said. I'll add that in the petition letter.

@richdata

Smash Rookie
Great, those are good points! I think mentioning Smash 4's online play would be smart; For Glory and For Fun modes were simple but to the point.

Also, I think we need to be able to message friends or at least have some type of "party up" option. What do you all think? It's bizarre to me that here we are in 2018 and Nintendo either has not figured out how to allow friends to join parties or does not want friends to have that ability (other than jumping into a battle arena) - heck, Bungie and Microsoft were utilizing this online capability in Halo 2!

Regardless, below is a good start:

-Changes to matchmaking - similar to Smash 4's style (For Glory, For Fun - For Fun not tied to GSP).
-The ability to change characters after games and still have a rematch.
-The ability to easily party up with random players and friends alike.
-The ability to bring friends playing on the same console into Battle Arenas.
-Adding more game modes for online play.

Anything else before I type up a petition on change.org?
These are very good points, I have a lot of friends on switch specifically for smash so it would be awesome if we could message each other, even if its only through the smash client. Also for example when I create an arena I can send a notification to friends to join, that would be nice.

SuperNova7

Smash Cadet
NNID
2710-3292-9722
These are very good points, I have a lot of friends on switch specifically for smash so it would be awesome if we could message each other, even if its only through the smash client. Also for example when I create an arena I can send a notification to friends to join, that would be nice.
I agree, completely. I will give this thread one more day for ideas. After that, I'll write the petition and post it here. Hopefully, we can take it viral and get Nintendo's attention. Other than that, I'm not sure we have any options to get this online junk fixed and improved!

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
With everyone creating arenas for 1v1 matches with space for 6 players, it doesnt help too. Why people are doing this? In my arenas, you enter you play. For me is no lines, space for only two players, me and the person that chosen to enter my arena. If everyone creates arenas for only 2 players, no one waits, all arenas will be filled. And if someone joins the arena system, the person will see all the arenas with space for one player and no lines that he knows that he will enter and he will play without wait anything, or will just create another arena with space for 2 players, and wait for the next player to join.

Last edited:

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
If you want a powerful, effective statement that will make the change, here's one: "If For Glory returns, I will pay for online" and then get the one year plan after the patch that has it. That will be all the convincing you need.

D

Deleted member

If you want a powerful, effective statement that will make the change, here's one: "If For Glory returns, I will pay for online" and then get the one year plan after the patch that has it. That will be all the convincing you need.
That would not do much.
A) Paying for online AFTER they "fix" Online just sends the message that people are happy, not pissed off about online BEFORE.
B)Assuming A is true, this will not cause Nintendo to do anything.

C) A more effective method would be to cancel Online altogether, and not buy it UNTIL they fix the problems.
D) This could only be effective if it causes a severe loss in funds(say having around 1000+ people cancel Online)

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-w...m_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

Please sign this, if it is to your pleasing, i truly am not satisfied with the way online is being handled. We have to try and do something about this!
Dedicated servers wouldn't do anything for a For Glory mode though since it's just 1v1. As far as I know, no 1v1 fighting game has dedicated server. That would probably be too expensive and not really useful.

It's nice to see people trying to get something better, but I don't think bringing back For Glory is a good solution.
Also, I don't think a hundred signatures out of probably 7 or 8 million players will make Nintendo do anything at all.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Dedicated servers wouldn't do anything for a For Glory mode though since it's just 1v1. As far as I know, no 1v1 fighting game has dedicated server. That would probably be too expensive and not really useful.

It's nice to see people trying to get something better, but I don't think bringing back For Glory is a good solution.
Also, I don't think a hundred signatures out of probably 7 or 8 million players will make Nintendo do anything at all.
It should be there for matches with 3 or 4 players, and if the work is done for 3 or 4 players, there's no reason to not be there as an option to 1v1 matches. The way it is now is not working properly. Even 1v1 matches can be lagged (I eventually have matches with lag even being 1v1, despite being moore tolerable) and this is not good for a game released at this time. Matches with 3 or 4 people then.. the lag has apparently an exponencial increase in this p2p system. It just doesnt work.

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom