• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Petey's Garden - Piranha Plant Social Thread AKA Plant Gang HQ

Favorite Costume For Piranha Plant?

• Total voters

DiamondDust132

Smash Cadet
NNID
DiamondDust132
I think it's only fair my initial post is praising our new plant god. Can't wait to wreck people with this cute, little bugger in the future. #PlantGang

Teeb147

Smash Legend
PlantGang ahoy

Here's what Sakurai said about the Plant's inclusion:

"[...] I believe it’s important to have a good balance as a game. In the past titles in the series, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog were some of the examples we offered outside of people’s typical expectations. However, if we don’t have these types of fighters, and we only had typical “hero/heroine” type fighters in the lineup, there’s not much difference. It’s probably not very interesting. Correct?
Also, unlike some main characters from some (not widely known) franchises, Piranha Plant is a character everyone knows well. "

Source: https://www.gameinformer.com/interv...lant-spirits-and-20-years-of-super-smash-bros

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Been meaning to post here more. Great to see the love for the Plant is still going strong and it wasn't just a case of initial shock & memes (which, judging by that interview, Sakurai wasn't aiming for). Also great to see more Mario enemies moving up in the world. Chain Chomps and Bloopers playing tennis. Goombas in Mario Party etc. Speaking of which, has a Hammer Bro been playable in anything major? They're the only major Mario enemy who I can't think of a playable appearance for (excluding Odyssey captures).

If we were going to get another Mario mook in Smash, I'd love it to be Shy Guy, though I appreciate his moveset probably wouldn't be anywhere near as wild as Piranha Plant's.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Speaking of which, has a Hammer Bro been playable in anything major? They're the only major Mario enemy who I can't think of a playable appearance for (excluding Odyssey captures)..
They were playable in Mario Party 8, for what it's worth.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Been meaning to post here more. Great to see the love for the Plant is still going strong and it wasn't just a case of initial shock & memes (which, judging by that interview, Sakurai wasn't aiming for). Also great to see more Mario enemies moving up in the world. Chain Chomps and Bloopers playing tennis. Goombas in Mario Party etc. Speaking of which, has a Hammer Bro been playable in anything major? They're the only major Mario enemy who I can't think of a playable appearance for (excluding Odyssey captures).

If we were going to get another Mario mook in Smash, I'd love it to be Shy Guy, though I appreciate his moveset probably wouldn't be anywhere near as wild as Piranha Plant's.
Can’t play as a Bob-Omb or Bullet Bill yet

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
I was only 13 years old. I loved Piranha Plant so much. I had all the memes and merchandise. I prayed to Piranha Plant every night, thankful for the life I'd been given. "Piranha Plant is love" I would say "Piranha Plant is life." The Isaac/Shadow/Waluigi fans hear me and say f**** plant gang. I knew they were just jealous for my devotion to Piranha Plant. I called them ungrateful. They spam me with hate messages until I go to sleep. I'm crying now and my sanity hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A S N A P P I - B O I is moving towards me. I feel something touch me. It's Piranha Plant. I'm so happy. He whispers in my ear "This is my garden now." He grabs me with his powerful planty leaves, and puts me on my GameCube controller. We turn on Ultimate and I put up my shield for Piranha Plant. He penetrates my shield and proceeds to JV4 stock me. It hurts so much, but I do it for Piranha Plant. I can feel my win rate dropping as my eyes start to water. I attempt photosynthesis. I want to please Piranha Plant. He roars a mighty roar as he wombo combos me in the butt cheeks. The Isaac/Shadow/Waluigi fans enter the room. Piranha Plant looks them straight in the eyes and says "It's all leafy now." Piranha Plant up-specials out my window. Piranha Plant is love. Piranha Plant is life.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I'll admit, Piranha plant does fill a niche that I've always appreciated despite in being rare to see. I love any game that gives extended abilities to a generic mook enemy, especially if said abilities are canon. I always played with the idea of a single Goomba in smash. Just think about it, it could spit fireballs, bounce around on its' head, wear a spiked helmet, recover in a purple bubble, use Brawl's subspace dash attack for its'... dash attack. I was never outspoken about that because like that's ever going to happen, but you see where I'm coming from. While piranha plant wasn't my first choice, well, it does precisely that niche thing I so love to see when it happens.

Now I've just got to write up my Thwomp moveset and petition Nintendo to add it to the next game.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
I'll admit, Piranha plant does fill a niche that I've always appreciated despite in being rare to see. I love any game that gives extended abilities to a generic mook enemy, especially if said abilities are canon. I always played with the idea of a single Goomba in smash. Just think about it, it could spit fireballs, bounce around on its' head, wear a spiked helmet, recover in a purple bubble, use Brawl's subspace dash attack for its'... dash attack. I was never outspoken about that because like that's ever going to happen, but you see where I'm coming from. While piranha plant wasn't my first choice, well, it does precisely that niche thing I so love to see when it happens.

Now I've just got to write up my Thwomp moveset and petition Nintendo to add it to the next game.
I still can’t believe Thwomp was confirmed an assist trophy. :( :( :(

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I still can’t believe Thwomp was confirmed an assist trophy. :(:(:(
I know, it's like they're ignoring the moveset potential. Thwimp projectile, a Whomp forward smash, the Thwomp dropping down on opponents for landing down air, spiky tromp side special or dash attack, it's like they didn't even try at all!

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
I know, it's like they're ignoring the moveset potential. Thwimp projectile, a Whomp forward smash, the Thwomp dropping down on opponents for landing down air, spiky tromp side special or dash attack, it's like they didn't even try at all!
#JusticeForThwomp
#freethwomp #screwshadow.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Plant brothers, Prof Fandango has finally drawn PP:

https://www.deviantart.com/professorfandango/art/SMASH-150-177-PIRANHA-PLANT-774088663

smash_150___177___piranha_plant_by_professorfandango-dcsvemv.png

That said, he did bring up a somewhat silly, but probable theory: an agreement between developers at Nintendo to introduce playable enemies with no limbs, and selecting whom would introduce which enemy to add (MT Aces got Chain Chomp, Super Mario Party got Goomba, and PP wound up here).

And Piranha Plant heads are hard to draw, apparently.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
you say that only because you don't know, much like the hater of PP simply hate PP because they haven't seen the pleasures of playing as a potted plant.
A little late here, just reading through the relatively small thread, but this post has unironically made me consider trying iced coffee in a bowl of cereal. Actually sounds kind of bomb really.

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Has anyone ever gotten bodied by a plant before in smash? Cuz it's definitely gonna happen to someone once Piranha Plant comes out

Last edited:

STAR PLATINUM!!!

Smash Rookie
PlantGang ahoy

Here's what Sakurai said about the Plant's inclusion:

"[...] I believe it’s important to have a good balance as a game. In the past titles in the series, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog were some of the examples we offered outside of people’s typical expectations. However, if we don’t have these types of fighters, and we only had typical “hero/heroine” type fighters in the lineup, there’s not much difference. It’s probably not very interesting. Correct?
Also, unlike some main characters from some (not widely known) franchises, Piranha Plant is a character everyone knows well. "

Source: https://www.gameinformer.com/interv...lant-spirits-and-20-years-of-super-smash-bros
Terra Branford for Smash!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Terra Branford for Smash!
Ok :) Well there's a support thread for terra: here

http://kuroganehammer.com/Ultimate/RunSpeed

Might get changed on release, but we should probably prepare for being the slowest runner in the game
I'm more disappointed I can't joke about anyone being slower than a potted plant, honestly
That's not great, I thought it would be faster. Will still be a fun character overall tho. Maybe it's a pretty good zoner too.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Plant brothers, Prof Fandango has finally drawn PP:

https://www.deviantart.com/professorfandango/art/SMASH-150-177-PIRANHA-PLANT-774088663

View attachment 179759

That said, he did bring up a somewhat silly, but probable theory: an agreement between developers at Nintendo to introduce playable enemies with no limbs, and selecting whom would introduce which enemy to add (MT Aces got Chain Chomp, Super Mario Party got Goomba, and PP wound up here).

And Piranha Plant heads are hard to draw, apparently.
Such a beautiful work of art

All Hail Me

Sarge
I will probably not main the plant man, but he will definitely be a secondary! I wanted skull kid but I will settle for a mii costume. The shock value of piranha plant was great though

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Seeing as none of the newcomers for Ultimate really interest me, I might unironically play Piranha Plant the most out of the new characters.

Depends on what the DLC fighters will be I suppose.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Seeing as none of the newcomers for Ultimate really interest me, I might unironically play Piranha Plant the most out of the new characters.

Depends on what the DLC fighters will be I suppose.
I know that no Smash roster can please everybody, but I'm curious who were you hoping to see as newcomers in Ultimate?

Last edited:

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I know that no Smash roster can please everybody, but I'm curious who were you hoping to see as newcomers in Ultimate?
As someone that didn't play Smash 4, I was pretty much completely neutral during reveal season. I wasn't like pro- or anti- any character in particular (I do think having Ridley and Simon in the game is cool). If I had to pick a DLC entrant I think any character that primarily uses axes would be neat. There are enough brawlers, swordsmen, and magicians in the game. Kind of like a Ganondorf / Ike with an axe. Probably not many options under those criteria though.

Also you have a great avatar, 10/10.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
As someone that didn't play Smash 4, I was pretty much completely neutral during reveal season. I wasn't like pro- or anti- any character in particular (I do think having Ridley and Simon in the game is cool). If I had to pick a DLC entrant I think any character that primarily uses axes would be neat. There are enough brawlers, swordsmen, and magicians in the game. Kind of like a Ganondorf / Ike with an axe. Probably not many options under those criteria though.

Also you have a great avatar, 10/10.
Thanks for the avatar compliment! I was going to change it not too long ago, but somebody convinced me not to. I guess I'm glad I didn't now.

ThatGreenPigeon

Smash Cadet
Fellow Plant Gang Members. I’ve heard some startling news. People are FRAMING US! SAYING that we are the type of people who have no emotional connection to the character and we are weak minded. That WE are the type of person who would main a WALKING DILDO if it was in smash! Let me know what y’all think. I completely agree.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Fellow Plant Gang Members. I’ve heard some startling news. People are FRAMING US! SAYING that we are the type of people who have no emotional connection to the character and we are weak minded. That WE are the type of person who would main a WALKING DILDO if it was in smash! Let me know what y’all think. I completely agree.
I have emotional connections to all putrid creatures that spew venom.

All Hail Me

Sarge
I will be honest, I would main the Dildo

STAR PLATINUM!!!

Smash Rookie
As long as its not Waluigi.

Top Bottom