• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Petey's Garden - Piranha Plant Social Thread AKA Plant Gang HQ

Favorite Costume For Piranha Plant?

• Total voters

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I never knew how much I wanted a playable Piranha Plant until this day

He is definitely joining my list of mains.

KatKit

Smash Lord
My mind is still blown that this entire time the flower pot was its clothes.

Overall, I'm glad he's in. He's been an item in Mario Kart, two stage hazards in two different Smash Bros. games, a boss battle in Brawl, a standard mook/different obstacles in Mario games, and so much more (and he's had a trophy). It's not just unique as a Mario rep, but as a character in general. It has had a presence in Smash since the very beginning (in an unlockable stage), and it means a lot to the Mario franchise.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Man I'm in that torn place where this plant is an utterly ridiculous addition and most of my hopes for this game have been shafted.
But the moveset is really up my alley.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This is hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. I am losing my mind and it's been almost 12 hours. This was the character I didn't know I wanted, but at the same time Super Mario Sunshine is my favorite Mario game so maybe I wanted him all along. What a goofy character. Joke characters are a blast and I can't wait for plant fights. So funny. What a weird, unexpected, amazing final pick that no one saw coming.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Okay, so I wanna correct a statement I made earlier. I said Piranha Plant would be free for limited and you could buy it afterwards (so people don't get confused over the "free for a limited time" deal. My mistake was that I said Piranha Plant could be bought on its own or with the bundle, but only the former is true and not the latter. Here's a screen cap from the website:

PiranhaPlantDLC.png

IMO, it's kinda dumb Piranha Plant isn't part of the bundle, but at the same time it's actually is a free fighter and it's not taking up a spot on the bundle.

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
So I just realized while considering why playable Piranha Plant actually intrigues me... SMB3 expanded the Mario universe in such a way back when it first came out, and it was such a huge source of inspiration for me as a child. And one of those bits of inspiration came in the form of fireball spittin' Piranha Plant...
...Where are mah fireballs? Spits spikes and poison... but mah fireballs?? :(

I'm... actually kind of disappointed...

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
This image sums up plant for me pretty well
piranha_plant_troll_by_mynameistroll-dbhgxbl.png

D

Deleted member

I hope I'm not the only one that is now trying to learn how to do Photosynthesis so I can really step into the mind of our new leafy overlord.

KatKit

Smash Lord
If the thread title ever changes, I suggest "Countdown to the Hype Pipe" around the time of its release.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
One of my favorite things about Piranha Plant is all the references in its moveset.
I already made a post about it in the Ultimate Discussion thread, so TL;DR:

P. Plant has many references to different P. Plants in Mario games, including Super Mario Galaxy 1/2, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, 3D Land, Paper Mario TTYD, etc.

And all 7 of PP's alts also reference different P. Plants throughout the Mario games, including: SMB1, Super Princess Peach, SMG 1/2, SM3DL, NSMB2, SM3DW, and Paper Mario 64.

I also just love how silly P Plant is. Even without eyes, it still manages to be so expressive.

It's less just a generic P. Plant, and more of an amalgamation of every Piranha Plant in Mario history.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I feel like a lot of the heat Piranha Plant gets is from coming at the wrong time.

Just after a bunch of disconfirmations, this is the next character. And to many people, that's the equivalent of saying "You're not as important as this plant."

While Piranha Plant was not a bad idea, it couldn't have come at a worse time.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm probably going to be a Piranha Plant main

Just need to wait for the icon

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
I hope I'm not the only one that is now trying to learn how to do Photosynthesis so I can really step into the mind of our new leafy overlord.
Just stay out in the sun long enough and concentrate real hard on absorbing it's incandescence. We shall all become one with our new God

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't expecting Piranha Plant to playable but i do like his Moveset :D

GammaMax

Smash Rookie
Talk about a character no one would've seen coming. At first I was like, "well, this is kinda stupid." But as I thought about it, the character really shows the kind a creativity that Sakuria has. Like who would've thought that an enemy with one function could be developed into a full fledge character. It kind of reminds me of how the ice climbers where original meant to be a 3d recreation of their 8-bit form. Just imagine if we got more characters like this. Like taking a Moblin and making it a brand new character. I think I'd be down for that.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
Definitely was a WTF moment for me, but I'm actually super hyped for him! After Ridley, K.Rool, and Inkling, I didn't really have any other characters to look forward to other than maybe Bandana Dee. Never thought this guy would be a thing, but I can't wait to play him! He's definitely going to be one of my most used fighters

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I’m actually digging this

I’m guessing he really wanted Petey piranha but probably due to being a boss already in brawl and unlike Ridley can’t be resized (wait a minute what am I saying!)

That’s really the only horrible thing about this is Waluigi is confirmed the next Ridley

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Petey Piranha is taller than Bowser, primarily due to how big his head is; refer to Double Dash!!. That can probably explain why we got a generic Piranha Plant.

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
This character is a curveball of the best kind. Looks like fantastic fun to play, and it's just so ridiculous it's surreal. I pretty much figured Kencineroar were gonna be the last base game reveals, but never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine Piranha Plant as the first DLC character. I wonder if Piranha Plant was a joke character they threw around during during pre-production that they decided to roll with later on...

ProfessorVincent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alexim
3DS FC
2105-8719-2070
Just dropping by to say that I've found my new main. This character comes from the proud legacy of Game and Watch, Rob, Duck Hunt, and Villager, which is to make awesome creative characters with crazy ****. You just know they must have had so much fun with these!

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
I had a sudden urge to make this really quick...

bandana.png

"B-But he's just a generic enemy with a hat!"

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Made this for the Goomba thread as someone who did think the idea of Goomba was interesting and cute. I figured if any grunt got in, it'd be the little mushroom guy that probably has killed more players than anything else in any game.

goombameme3.png

But I do welcome our plant overlords with open arms. Was a very shocking reveal!

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
I can't really defend its inclusion, but since I love carnivorous plants (as well as crazy off-kilter joke picks) I'm kinda happy about this.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Petey Piranha is taller than Bowser, primarily due to how big his head is; refer to Double Dash!!. That can probably explain why we got a generic Piranha Plant.
Could be possibly why they chose the Piranha Plant, BUT...

Petey Piranha has been downsized a lot in various appearances, I think he definitely could've been proportioned just fine as a fighter.

I think the main reason we got Piranha Plant is that Sakurai wanted another new Mario character due to the large success it's been having lately, but couldn't think of something interesting or something that would stand out among the massive roster and would've made a huge splash/surprise.

I sadly don't think we'll see the return of P-Plant beyond Ultimate, but I definitely think it's possible we'll see him replaced by Petey.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Just gonna address one thing ive heard a few people say, that they are flabber-gasted that piranha plant can walk.

Has no one played SMB3, walking piranha plants debuted in that game. Along with pp's that blow a spiked ball up and down.

Everything I've seen so far from pp seems to reference something which is awesome. Also he can spit poison, I hope he can shoot a fireball too....

Best WTF character ever, I love that they added him, I am so gonna wreck my friends with a Piranha Plant lol.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I had not yet decided who to post as my Ultimate main under my signature. As it was a toss-up between Shulk, Wolf or Cloud.

But now I've seen the light. Once available, you will all bask the glory of Piranha Plant's magnificent icon under my Smash Ultimate main.

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Just gonna address one thing ive heard a few people say, that they are flabber-gasted that piranha plant can walk.

Has no one played SMB3, walking piranha plants debuted in that game. Along with pp's that blow a spiked ball up and down.

Everything I've seen so far from pp seems to reference something which is awesome. Also he can spit poison, I hope he can shoot a fireball too....

Best WTF character ever, I love that they added him, I am so gonna wreck my friends with a Piranha Plant lol.

View attachment 174924
At least the Smash one has the decency to wear it's pot to hide it's nudity!!! Also his little root feet and the pot holes for them is adorable.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've been looking over his alternate colors and I'll be using either the green or purple one.

The green looks cool, and his pot is more like a pipe.

But purple is my favorite color. And he gets a shiny gold pot

piranha.png

Last edited:

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
All of the colors look pretty nice. I'm either choosing the blue, black, purple, or Red.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
I love how the green alt is a reference to his classic colors, that alone will cause me to use that color quite often. Other than that, I'll be using purple to live out my poisonous plant fantasies

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
I just noticed the purple plant is the only one with different colored lips.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'll admit I was pretty salty when it was first announced but it's grown onto me really quickly. I will definitely try to use it as a secondary at least.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Heya, Plant Gang. As you can see, I've fully committed myself to the Church of Saint Munchy and am more than ready to kick some ass as a potted plant in Feburary(-ish).

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
And here I thought I would be a Dedede main for life.

I legitimately like Piranha Plant. He's quirky and weird, obviously doesn't belong anywhere in Smash. He's such a stupid character that you can't help but feel it's brilliant. This is the kind of random stuff I live for.

Top Bottom