• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Petey's Garden - Piranha Plant Social Thread AKA Plant Gang HQ

Favorite Costume For Piranha Plant?

• Total voters

Scipion3

Smash Cadet
How do you do this!? I must know!
Take a custom stage. Choose Kirby/Dedede as your character and the one you want T-posing as the other. Inhale the opponent and press L+R+A to restart before immediately pressing pause right after you restarted it. If you did it correctly, you should have Kirby/Dedede with someone inside them and the opponent out, T-posing

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Hey there, Plant Gang. Was at a monthly tournament this weekend and had this strange occurrence where my Down B just sorta stopped itself.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BovineMoldyGarbageTTours

I don’t remember if I was trying to shorten it or something, but yeah this happened. I’ll be checking it out in the lab when I can and I’ll hopefully be back with an answer, but if any of you all know how this may happen it’d be sick to know.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Hey there, Plant Gang. Was at a monthly tournament this weekend and had this strange occurrence where my Down B just sorta stopped itself.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BovineMoldyGarbageTTours

I don’t remember if I was trying to shorten it or something, but yeah this happened. I’ll be checking it out in the lab when I can and I’ll hopefully be back with an answer, but if any of you all know how this may happen it’d be sick to know.
That’s a down b cancel glitch. __**How the Down-B Cancel glitch works**__
When in the air and Ptooie is performed, if you land before it is swallowed and are hit on the frame the ball is swallowed, you will be able to initiate a Down-B Cancel for a short period of time, but it only works with a sideways Down-B, at max possible tilt (either in air or ground). Essentially, this replaces the attack with the Ptooie swallow endlag and animation. It provides little use currently, other than to assert dominance in the Plant ditto. It will not persist after death.

If you perform an upwards Down-B, it will not remove Down-B Cancel. You can still tilt in the second Down-B to get the cancel, nor will using any other moves remove it. If a Down-B at max tilt is stopped by a wall, it won't Down-B Cancel, but doesn't remove ability to cancel. Max charge Down-B won't cancel, but doesn't remove ability to cancel.

It is also inconsistent and sometimes won't work anyway. Sometimes only the opposite side works.

Demonstration: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/504563511788175362/575262531606806538/downbcancel.gif

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Thanks for the info!

Did some testing myself anyways, and found these results:
- You do not need to be in the air to initiate the glitch. Simply being hit pretty much in the frame window where Plant swallows the ball will activate the glitch.
-The only time the animation is replaced is if Stem Strike reaches the opponent AUTOMATICALLY from whatever angle you're shooting from. If you manually bite with a button press, the attack hits the opponent as usual.

So if you think you've activated the glitch, you DO have a little control on whether you want to use it, but that's a LOT of factors to track and, as you said, it isn't terribly practical. A shame, but even if it was useful it's clearly quite glitchy and would likely be patched were it well-known.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Finally, some life in this board! I’ve gotten four notifications from 4 threads that were accessed last night on Plantboard!

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I honestly wish we got an adorable voice like that in Smash. That and Petey having generic Brawl roars instead of his voice were missed opportunities.

On a side note, I was playing tonight and had some decent success against my friend (mainly used Mario, which was fitting). I've gotten better at recovering/being ready to tech, but it was still rough getting juggled for days.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I mean, assuming it actually works on people for at least one rep that’s still a damage buff, at least. Nothing bugs me more than getting punished for hitting someone in a fighting game. “Always use jab 3 instead” is currently hard fused into my muscle memory.

If characters are still falling out before the first rep finishes though then I guess nothing’s changed. Maybe next time.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I don't care if people just ride the hype, it’s still a joy seeing Plant Gang chants erupt from a crowd.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I don't care if people just ride the hype, it’s still a joy seeing Plant Gang chants erupt from a crowd.
I love the thumbs-up his opponent gave him after the match. You just can't get mad losing to an underdog like Plant in bracket.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Anyone else say that Piranha Plant adds to the villains in Smash?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I mean, he has the Mario Villains victory theme, so... yeah?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Plant has done more villainous things than at least half of the antihero/rival-turned-friend-you-invite-to-save-the-world archetypes lately.

Not to say it's deep by any means, but trying to eat babies isn't something you question.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
What do y’all think Plant’s best and Worst matchup is? As of now, best IMO is probably Puff. She has basically no answer to Ptooie and dies early not to mention Plant having a crazy advantage state against airborne opponents. Worst IMO is Palutena because she has everything we don’t want. A hard to exploit recovery, great edge guarding, projectiles, a reflector, a great combo game, and kill power.

UserKev

Smash Champion
What do y’all think Plant’s best and Worst matchup is? As of now, best IMO is probably Puff. She has basically no answer to Ptooie and dies early not to mention Plant having a crazy advantage state against airborne opponents. Worst IMO is Palutena because she has everything we don’t want. A hard to exploit recovery, great edge guarding, projectiles, a reflector, a great combo game, and kill power.
Bruh, we need a whole thread for this. Interesting discussion.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Surprised no one's talking about Piranha Plant buffs yet. How are you feeling about those?

The shortened endlag for up tilt feels nice. Landing some little combos (2x uptilt ->up air) up close is easier now, at least against big bodies, and there's more leeway when anti-airing.

The shallower dash attack launch angle is usually better for edgeguarding.

The various buffs for Poison Breath and Long-Stem Strike are where it's really at though. I feel like I can now use these moves much more freely because of the shorter endlag for both, faster startup for PB and quicker charge for L-SS, whereas before I felt I had to very carefully consider when I could throw them out. The additional shield damage for the latter also makes it a really good pressuring tool in some matchups. You don't want to stay in shield against PP.

Overall I'm very happy with the buffs. Now my biggest problems with this character personally are just the startup and range on a few moves (and Poison Breath not dealing poison damage over time, but that's more from a "making sense" point of view), but on the whole I feel a lot more confident when picking The Plant now.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Surprised no one's talking about Piranha Plant buffs yet. How are you feeling about those?

The shortened endlag for up tilt feels nice. Landing some little combos (2x uptilt ->up air) up close is easier now, at least against big bodies, and there's more leeway when anti-airing.

The shallower dash attack launch angle is usually better for edgeguarding.

The various buffs for Poison Breath and Long-Stem Strike are where it's really at though. I feel like I can now use these moves much more freely because of the shorter endlag for both, faster startup for PB and quicker charge for L-SS, whereas before I felt I had to very carefully consider when I could throw them out. The additional shield damage for the latter also makes it a really good pressuring tool in some matchups. You don't want to stay in shield against PP.

Overall I'm very happy with the buffs. Now my biggest problems with this character personally are just the startup and range on a few moves (and Poison Breath not dealing poison damage over time, but that's more from a "making sense" point of view), but on the whole I feel a lot more confident when picking The Plant now.
The buffs are absolutely amazing. My favorite by far is longstem. The shield damage is ridiculous and since Plant is so uncommon, people always try to shield and get popped. And since Plant has the literal best shield break punishment in the game it can land you a free kill at 0. Now I don’t believe any of the buffs are crazy enough to come close to putting Plant in high tier, but I definitely can’t see him anymore as bottom 5 or low tier especially with the results from Brood and Greward flooding in. Overall very happy with the patch but I think that we need to fix our core issues of our aerials to really be good.

PF9

Smash Lord
Got an Amiibo today

I think the most fitting name for PP is Audrey, after the main antagonist of Little Shop of Horrors. The musical came out in 1982, so it's very possible that it inspired the Piranha Plant enemy from Super Mario Bros., which came out in 1985.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
From the 8.0 patch discussion thread:
  • U-tilt Startup 8 -> 6
    • total frames 28 -> 26
  • D-Smash startup 12/16 -> 10/14
    • total frames 45 -> 43
  • F-air startup 10 -> 7
    • total frames 47 -> 44
  • U-air base damage 8.0 -> 10.0
Pretty nice patch buffs this time around, specifically up tilt, forward air and down smash being made faster. Better kill power on back air and up air ain't too shabby either.

Will need some time seeing how much the launch angle adjustments impact up tilt/up air follow ups, but they felt good from the few matches I played.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Why do People hate on Bandana Waddle Dee(Character/Important Enemy)
yet seem to be fine with the Pirahna Plant!

Last edited:
Top Bottom