• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

Personally, I prefer the air! (A WiP guide to SSB4 v1.0.4 Falco)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Illuvial submitted a new guide:

Hands off my bread! (A WiP guide to SSB4 v1.0.4 Falco) - Talking about Falco's kit, playstyle, and general Match-up strategy as well as top players to study

Hey there! This is the first guide I've written on Smashboards, and it IS a WiP so I apologize for any glaring faults. Critique to your hearts content and request new features and sections to make this the best guide possible. With that established, I'd like to note that I will be doing MASSIVE overhauling to this guide over the next 2 or 3 days, so stay tuned for all of the updates and improvements to formatting and information! Anyways, onto the guide.

Falco Pros and...
Read more about this guide...

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
All right, first guide on Falco. Cool. So, as an early guide, it's helpful.

I think this might be newly found, but Dtilt can be used to edge-guard and, I think, so can an angled Ftilt. I guess Ftilt would be more like a poke, but Dtilt would probably a strong ledge-kill move. Here's evidence of Dtilt being an edge-guard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlP...JSFoK-MWsqEJQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=204.

For Blaster, you could mention how to use it like just shoot once from far away or the laser lockdown trick where if you throw an opponent and shoot them, it resets their "hit the ground" animation for 3 shots.

I do like that you provided examples between fighter with good recoveries and fighters with bad recoveries, however, a general tips section for that would be nice as well.

Pictures perhaps? Some people are visual learners.

Otherwise, it's solid, especially with so little info on Falco compared to say, Diddy Kong who already has anti-Diddy tips.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Its important to note that the only reason Dtilt works like an angled Ftilt would is because the edge recovery ended. You could use Fsmash, Phantasm, Reflector, every aerial, Fox Fire, Down Smash and probably a couple other moves when the edge recovery on an opponent ends, and as I said, I plan on having gifs and more detailed write-ups on his moveset and such. I will edit the descriptions of Dtilt, Ftilt, Fsmash and Dsmash to reflect that they can hit ledged opponents

As for the blaster thing, I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you talking about something like Brawl Falco did with his lasers by locking down opponents sort of like a jab lock?

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Edge-guarding is an umbrella term, right? Well, I meant that you can use Dtilt in that way when the recovery frames ended.

As for the Blaster lockdown, here's the issue: I don't remember who mentioned it and I don't remember what thread it was mentioned in. I do, however, know it exists and I've used it from time to time. It's just F-throw, D-throw, or B-throw and shoot when they land.

I see you guys in the "Users Viewing Thread" do any of you know what I'm talking about. Welp, time to look for this... I swear if it was mentioned in the Character Competitive Impressions thread and not in any of the Falco threads...

Edit: Found the laser lock thing which existed in Brawl - hey, I'm not a competitive player and I don't know much about advanced stuff like this so, I don't have much to draw from. Oh, and the other issue is that I don't really know how to record stuff on the 3DS...
In addition, Laser locking is partially still in. You can do 3 lasers in a laser lock situation, and the opponent then stands straight up no matter what, allowing a re-grab or dash attack/side b followup.
Fox can do it too with his Impact Blaster custom.
I was messing around with Fox and his Impact Blaster and found a cool but iffy setup consisting of bthrow > laser which forces a get up on at least Falco and Dedede at 0% if they don't tech. I tried to replicate it with Falco and his normal blaster and it's kinda there. Right off the bat you can do dthrow > 3 lasers (kinda like a bad laser lock since the 4th always gets the opponent right back up without any lag) but you gotta delay the lasers and the opponent has to not tech or double jump. Around 40%ish fthrow works and you don't have to delay the lasers at all. I only tested it on a level 8 Dedede and there's all kinds of problems with it such as the normal blaster possibly having too much end lag for follow ups, Falco having better blaster options and possible vectoring along with the opponent being required to not tech or double jump or any aerial for that matter.
I don't know, doesn't seem as great on Falco compared to Fox but it's there.
actually at like 40~43% you can laser lock people with f-throw but only if they dont tech so again, very situational
I've been playing with Falco, and I think he feels great...! Minus the lasers, his close combat game is a lot better. I've also found out his Laser Lock is kind of still there. Not really. When you make an enemy bounce on the ground, you can shoot 3 free lasers. It's very strict timing; hopefully I can record some proof another time.

Last edited:

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Edge-guarding is an umbrella term, right? Well, I meant that you can use Dtilt in that way when the recovery frames ended.

As for the Blaster lockdown, here's the issue: I don't remember who mentioned it and I don't remember what thread it was mentioned in. I do, however, know it exists and I've used it from time to time. It's just F-throw, D-throw, or B-throw and shoot when they land.

I see you guys in the "Users Viewing Thread" do any of you know what I'm talking about. Welp, time to look for this... I swear if it was mentioned in the Character Competitive Impressions thread and not in any of the Falco threads...

Edit: Found the laser lock thing. Oh, and the other issue is that I don't really know how to record stuff on the 3DS...

Fox can do it too with his Impact Blaster custom.
Ahh, now I know what you're talking about. I'll edit that in when I get home that's some solid tech

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Cool. Just one question: Why am I the only one giving feedback?! The barely-decent Falco player giving tips?! The guy who never competed before and didn't know about locks, meteor-cancelling, and other advanced techs?! The guy who only mained Falco because he wanted to prove Falco's worth?!

It's early, but still...

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
- Half of the Falco mains on this board think he's garbage for some reason
Okay, this made me laugh for how true it is, if a little exaggerated. I honestly think Falco is mid-tier at best, but has some legit flaws that hold him back.

Anyway, I noticed you intend on using GIFs to illustrate the attacks. I have an imgur album depicting Falco's attacks in the 3DS version, and I could also snap pics from the Wii U version if needed. I even included his custom specials. http://imgur.com/a/Pdh5I

EDIT: Here's an album of Falco's moveset on Wii U: http://imgur.com/a/Um79o

I've only skimmed it so far, and I like the initiative you show. I was actually going to write a guide on Falco myself, and I still have the draft for it, but unfortunately real life kept me away. :(

Let me know if you need some pictures or vids(no capture device yet, sadly) or something, I'd be glad to help!

Last edited:

Charhazzard

Smash Cadet
All right, first guide on Falco. Cool. So, as an early guide, it's helpful.

I think this might be newly found, but Dtilt can be used to edge-guard and, I think, so can an angled Ftilt. I guess Ftilt would be more like a poke, but Dtilt would probably a strong ledge-kill move. Here's evidence of Dtilt being an edge-guard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlP...JSFoK-MWsqEJQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=204.

For Blaster, you could mention how to use it like just shoot once from far away or the laser lockdown trick where if you throw an opponent and shoot them, it resets their "hit the ground" animation for 3 shots.

I do like that you provided examples between fighter with good recoveries and fighters with bad recoveries, however, a general tips section for that would be nice as well.

Pictures perhaps? Some people are visual learners.

Otherwise, it's solid, especially with so little info on Falco compared to say, Diddy Kong who already has anti-Diddy tips.
Saw lots of good things in this video I could use but the main one that stuck out to me was that dthrow> dash >fsmash. It seems to easily to the opponent in edge guard position for me to fair or act accordingly. Nair into up smash looked nice awell

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Cool. Just one question: Why am I the only one giving feedback?! The barely-decent Falco player giving tips?! The guy who never competed before and didn't know about locks, meteor-cancelling, and other advanced techs?! The guy who only mained Falco because he wanted to prove Falco's worth?!

It's early, but still...
Ok so after testing the laser locking, its pretty useless for Falco. It doesn't do as much damage as a dash attack would, and it only works if your opponent doesn't use any attacks in the air, doesn't air dodge after the hitstun, doesn't tech as soon as they hit the ground by rolling or using getup attack and actually sits there and lets you laser them, unlike Dash Attack or a Up Smash which is actually a true combo at lower percents. Not only that, but if they tech towards you once they hit the ground they can actually punish you if they're quick enough or you accidentally shoot a second laser Because of this I think I'm just gonna leave it out of the guide to avoid putting the idea of trying it into newcomer's minds.

Still, I'm loving the feedback, keep it coming!

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Ok so after testing the laser locking, its pretty useless for Falco. It doesn't do as much damage as a dash attack would, and it only works if your opponent doesn't use any attacks in the air, doesn't air dodge after the hitstun, doesn't tech as soon as they hit the ground by rolling or using getup attack and actually sits there and lets you laser them, unlike Dash Attack or a Up Smash which is actually a true combo at lower percents. Not only that, but if they tech towards you once they hit the ground they can actually punish you if they're quick enough or you accidentally shoot a second laser Because of this I think I'm just gonna leave it out of the guide to avoid putting the idea of trying it into newcomer's minds.

Still, I'm loving the feedback, keep it coming!
Eh, it's still something. For me, it's like those rare, but random things you do to trick people.

The way I use Falco's Blaster is sort of a weird poke and annoyance rather than anything else. If for whatever reason someone's just standing there, I'll shoot once. If they're not about to die and coming back at lower percents, I'll shoot once or twice in the air and ground. It's just a way to mess with people rather than anything else. Plus, it's free damage. Reflector, on the other hand, is my go-to space and interrupt move alongside Ftilt. At longer ranges, Blaster can interrupt people charging or camping, but the end lag is what kills it.

Last edited:

Zionaze

Smash Ace
the closest you can ever get to a perfect laser lock is f-throw at 40~43% on mario (medium weight). your opponent can only DI upwards or tech to escape it. Even if they tech it they will eat atleast 1 laser which prevents them from closing in on you and punishing.

If however you do manage to get the lock going on shoot 2 instead of 3. after the 2nd laser you should be close enough to do a running U-smash/grab/dash attack, watever you want.
Again, not advised against skilled players but it will earn you some style points if you manage to pull it off

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Eh, it's still something. For me, it's like those rare, but random things you do to trick people.

The way I use Falco's Blaster is sort of a weird poke and annoyance rather than anything else. If for whatever reason someone's just standing there, I'll shoot once. If they're not about to die and coming back at lower percents, I'll shoot once or twice in the air and ground. It's just a way to mess with people rather than anything else. Plus, it's free damage. Reflector, on the other hand, is my go-to space and interrupt move alongside Ftilt. At longer ranges, Blaster can interrupt people charging or camping, but the end lag is what kills it.
I use it the same way, absolutely

Legend Vermillion

Spanish Brawl Competitive Player
That guide is really wonderful! It will really help people who are starting to use Falco or people who wants to know more about the character! Also, very nice feedback by Ffamran in this post :) If I can apport something, I will do ^^

Last edited:

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
I'm terribly sorry about the lack of guide updating in these past 4 or 5 days. I've been ridiculously busy with work and friends seeing as someone was fired recently and I've been picking up hours like crazy

I'll update the guide with gifs for the moveset, custom moves in general, a more updated edgeguarding section and if anyone has any clips of good Falco edgeguarding that I can put in that section of the guide for visual learners that would be greatly appreciated

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
I've mentioned this before, but if gifs prove to be a great undertaking I do have pictures that you're free to use in the meantime if you're in need of visuals.

I only wish I can help out with clips of edgeguarding, given I've scored some nice KO's with dair and side-b. Curse my lack of video capture equipment!

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
Very good guide it reinforces and explains a lot. One thing I wanted to add was his up throw is not really useless. At lower percents like 40-80 if you throw them up you can full hop or short hop depending how high they are to connect an up air. If the up air sour spots you can follow up with a nair or a bair

Roll-Spamming-Peasant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MontyRattata
Very good guide it reinforces and explains a lot. One thing I wanted to add was his up throw is not really useless. At lower percents like 40-80 if you throw them up you can full hop or short hop depending how high they are to connect an up air. If the up air sour spots you can follow up with a nair or a bair
Can an up air kill if it gets them high enough? I figure id just try to get arpund them and go for the bair, but I'm new to smash 4 falco.

Grass

Smash Lord

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
Can an up air kill if it gets them high enough? I figure id just try to get arpund them and go for the bair, but I'm new to smash 4 falco.
Yes it definitely can. I am putting together a string and killtage of falco I've had online and offline this past week. Lots of good footage and funny stuff too. But yea timing the two jumps at the top of the screen with an up air can kill really early. Also it is so fast that if opponents air dodge you can keep spamming up air it'll connect

Roll-Spamming-Peasant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MontyRattata
Read this, it's a conceptual guide for both spacies. It may not be as well detailed as the falco guide, but I did my best to put both spacies into this guide.

http://smashboards.com/guides/space-wars-episode-4-return-of-the-spacies.136/
Yes it definitely can. I am putting together a string and killtage of falco I've had online and offline this past week. Lots of good footage and funny stuff too. But yea timing the two jumps at the top of the screen with an up air can kill really early. Also it is so fast that if opponents air dodge you can keep spamming up air it'll connect
Gosh you guys are awesome! I appreciate the clearance, because the only aerial I manage to get kills with has been his bair, but i knew there had to be others.

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
Gosh you guys are awesome! I appreciate the clearance, because the only aerial I manage to get kills with has been his bair, but i knew there had to be others.
Fair is amazing off stage really gimps players with poor and mediocre recoveries and harassing people with it is fairly easy once you get comfortable with it

SSB4 Offline Friendlies - Falco (BltzZ) vs Lucari…: http://youtu.be/1forYKKXfEs very possible to kill lucario with it and his almost godlike recovery

Falco's Fair SSB4 Offline Friendlies - Falco (Blt…: http://youtu.be/mkJg7BAQlhs I lost a friend this day due to my fairs. Lol joking but he's pretty salty about it.

Grass

Smash Lord
Fair is amazing off stage really gimps players with poor and mediocre recoveries and harassing people with it is fairly easy once you get comfortable with it

SSB4 Offline Friendlies - Falco (BltzZ) vs Lucari…: http://youtu.be/1forYKKXfEs very possible to kill lucario with it and his almost godlike recovery

Falco's Fair SSB4 Offline Friendlies - Falco (Blt…: http://youtu.be/mkJg7BAQlhs I lost a friend this day due to my fairs. Lol joking but he's pretty salty about it.
listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about lol.

His BAir is good, but Falco is better at baiting, not as good as Fox, but he comes close.

Last edited:

Roll-Spamming-Peasant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MontyRattata
listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about lol.

His BAir is good, but Falco is better at baiting, not as good as Fox, but he comes close.
I appreciate your input, but can we as a character thread just stop with the whole "he's got this thing, but Fox does it better so whatever." Stuff? It's doing the same thing to Falco that got Luigi so dissed upon, because people just kept comparing his pros and cons against Mario...but we were just shown this month that Luigi has potential to be high to top tier in the right hands (Boss)...maybe Falco could one day prove to be of the same underestimation?

AlexAnthonyD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anthony
3DS FC
1521-5082-7099
I really enjoyed your guide, overall its very accurate. I have one thing that is small but Falco's U Throw is definatly a kill move against some of the lighter characters. I know Jigglypuff is the lightest in the game, or at least I think so. But on FD he can be U throwed to death if you grab him at 131% at the very least, I have not tested at lower %s. This is just the number I last killed a JP at, which was a few nights ago. I would be willing to bet that at 150% he could kill a handful of characters.

Grass

Smash Lord
I appreciate your input, but can we as a character thread just stop with the whole "he's got this thing, but Fox does it better so whatever." Stuff? It's doing the same thing to Falco that got Luigi so dissed upon, because people just kept comparing his pros and cons against Mario...but we were just shown this month that Luigi has potential to be high to top tier in the right hands (Boss)...maybe Falco could one day prove to be of the same underestimation?
I don't know anyone who compares Luigi to Mario. Since they're 2 completely different play styles. Fox does things better than Falco, this is a fact. Not an opinion. Fox is fast and combo heavy, Falco is slower and must rely on baiting and power hits. That's just the way things are. If you don't like it, return to Brawl or Melee.

AlexAnthonyD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anthony
3DS FC
1521-5082-7099

As with OP this is how I laser as well. One other useful technique it has is if you and your opponent are falling at a similar horizontal height but too far away to hit him, there is nothing more satisfying than landing 2-4 blaster shots before yall hit the ground.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
I don't know anyone who compares Luigi to Mario. Since they're 2 completely different play styles. Fox does things better than Falco, this is a fact. Not an opinion. Fox is fast and combo heavy, Falco is slower and must rely on baiting and power hits. That's just the way things are. If you don't like it, return to Brawl or Melee.
"I don't know anyone who compares Luigi to Mario. Since they're 2 completely different play styles."..........
"2 completely different play styles"
"play styles"
Aye fox and falco don't even share the same playstyle
Also falco doesn't "rely" on power hits.
:V

Roll-Spamming-Peasant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MontyRattata
Sorry, i should've just said "i didn't come to a Falco thread to be talked out of playing Falco", but it's cool, i since took your advice and picked up Fox...and i like him better. Falco feels like training wheels...

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Oh yeah! Add in that (short hopped) Uair is a great approach. The landing lag is almost null meaning Falco can do whatever like Down Smash which I still have to try. Since it covers about a 180 degree arc around Falco, it's safe and it's actually kind of deceptive. So, a juggler, killer, and an approach. Thank @KayJay for finding this out... Well, posting about it on Smashboards.

Grass

Smash Lord
:V whatchu doing here then hun
Chillin' /shrugs
Sorry, i should've just said "i didn't come to a Falco thread to be talked out of playing Falco", but it's cool, i since took your advice and picked up Fox...and i like him better. Falco feels like training wheels...
Sorry, wasn't trying to talk you out of playing Falco, I honestly haven't played Falco since melee, so I can't exactly help you. Though, tbf, even if I did. I doubt I could help you with him anyway. Cause I don't play traditional Falco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom