• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: Out in NA, It's Time You Burn That Dread

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Heartless? Brice's Tager is better imo. I had no idea how to deal with his tech at all.

I was actually referring to Brice, truthfully. Though Heartless always kicked my butt online a bit more than I squeezed out wins on him. But the Brice/Kirbster/Kaeru/pochp/Nini group have been bodying me (but in that 'good' "oh I see what you did there" way) since the GO events and Continuum Shift 1 came out. Lord help me if more people play Teddie because I have NO IDEA what to do when playing against him.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I can go pretty even with Kaeru, though pochp gives me some trouble. Nini doesn't really play BB anymore, but our matches were always really close.

Brice and Kirbster, you might as well just put the controller down and get a sandwich or something, haha. :p

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well the thing with pochp I used to find, dunno if it's the case now, is that his Mu always played differently from most of the Mus I came across so it was all "wha?". Nini's scrubbed to Marvel and Bibi doesn't like P4A last I checked, so hey. But Brice and Kirby are indeed like "uwhaaaa?".

And to top it off, I'm pretty sure one of those 2 plays Mitsuru too. Forgot which one though, and who the other uses.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Haha, ouch. Dat representation. I was admittedly going to make a Naoto joke, but considering what I heard on the news a few minutes ago about the Quebec election result bit, that would probably be in really bad taste.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Sorry that I couldn't play you, aisight. I was playing with my bf, but we should definitely play sometime, I need Yukiko experience. :3

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Ah, alright. I'm not much of a Yukiko, though, just all (average) fundamentals and a couple basic combos.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Ah, alright. I'm not much of a Yukiko, though, just all (average) fundamentals and a couple basic combos.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I have a bunch of stuff to still learn. Though...I have like a 9 page movelist/combo listing/semi tips thing I printed out a bit ago in file form on here, I could send your way somehow if you wanted.

Also totally understand the "only a couple basic combos" thing. I'm quite the same way with Chie (who I also have an 11 page one that I printed out on).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
No, I've read and tried various combos, but in the end I decided on what I did because
1. I will never be able to confirm the range of the extended midscreen bnb on netplay, let alone execute it consistently,
2. I have usable combos for most of the common situations involving anti-air hits and various confirms from not blocking fire, and
3. I'd rather focus on improving my fundamentals anyway rather than fishing for complicated combo setups.

Besides, being adept at Yukiko's lockdown play is far more important.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You can't hold down Maragi, the wiki is wrong. You have to press C or D to detonate it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, I know the feeling. I have a bunch of stuff to still learn. Though...I have like a 9 page movelist/combo listing/semi tips thing I printed out a bit ago in file form on here, I could send your way somehow if you wanted.

Also totally understand the "only a couple basic combos" thing. I'm quite the same way with Chie (who I also have an 11 page one that I printed out on).
Yeah, you really shouldn't be memorizing 11 pages of combo since I feel that it hinders you. The ones I focus on in air dash fighters are corner, midscreen, meter, OMC, OMB, counter/air CH/FC, ground punish, and burst punish. Some of those even overlap.

But I do think that it's great that some of those pages you have are on tips. I find okis, block punishes, and matchups tips help me go a long way even if I have only a few BnBs.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, you really shouldn't be memorizing 11 pages of combo since I feel that it hinders you. The ones I focus on in air dash fighters are corner, midscreen, meter, OMC, OMB, counter/air CH/FC, ground punish, and burst punish. Some of those even overlap.

But I do think that it's great that some of those pages you have are on tips. I find okis, block punishes, and matchups tips help me go a long way even if I have only a few BnBs.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. And I'm going to fully admit, that in no way can I memorize all 9 pages of them. Even in Blazblue with Noel, I really only knew 2 pages full of combos (like if I were to put them down) because a number of ones listed turned out to not be practical, worth the meter burn, or were incredibly situation so that you'd only be able to use them literally 1% of the time.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Yeah, I have to agree that it's never really worth it to know that many combos.

Better to have multiple ways to go into one or two combos than a million combos you can never land. That's just my two cents though.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
In only barely related news, I'm now playing Persona 3 Portable.

Already have a pre-existing grudge against Mitsuru, which I found amusing. Shoutouts to Akihiko, and I loved recognizing music in the game from hearing it in P4A.

Umby

Smash Master
I'm putting focus back into Yu for a bit.
I have no idea how I should be approaching and not sure what to do against Yosuke.

Help, please. :(

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Yeah, I have to agree that it's never really worth it to know that many combos.

Better to have multiple ways to go into one or two combos than a million combos you can never land. That's just my two cents though.
Somehow the phrase, "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times" comes into play here.

TRIAL OF THE DREGEHNNNNNN

:phone:

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Haha, that pretty much sums it up.

I have no idea how I should be approaching and not sure what to do against Yosuke.

Harass him with fireballs whenever he throws out his Persona. Your j.B outranges all of his air normals. Do not mash 2B, he has too many ways to bait it. His R-Action only works on the player, not the Persona, so throw out 5D on a really reversal-happy player. Having a really solid neutral game goes a long way against Yosuke.

I'm sure someone who actually plays Yu or Yosuke could give you more in-depth advice though.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I'm sure someone who actually plays Yu or Yosuke could give you more in-depth advice though.
I haven't figured out how to fight Minato's Yu yet, I really need to learn how to deal with Yu's oki.

It doesn't help that Minato is just better than me, it is always an uphill fight against him. :/

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah, can't lie that fighting Minato is always a bit difficult. I've mercifully only run into few Teddies and even less Mitsurus, but maaan have I run into a lot of good/fly everywhere Brosukes.

Minato

穏やかじゃない

My friend has a really good Yosuke and I'm still trying to figure him out. I feel like the matchup is even at the moment.
Yu can struggle in this matchup at times since it's hard to anti air him because of his speed (also Yosuke's kara canceled j.2B) and I think his j.C might have a decent hitbox. If you whiff 2B or something, he can easily punish you hard for it. Zio is practically useless in this fight. If he's midscreen, he can just jump and then quickly punish you, if he's fullscreen, he can just SB right through it for good damage.

If a Yosuke does an air combo and ends it with kunai or something, be sure to late tech or get away since he does have an air unblockable setup (j.D into 2B iirc). Be careful of his blockstrings with Jiraiya since he can frame trap you. If you're cornered, be careful of moonsault since it can still cross up there. Keep in mind he has Tentarafoo combos, and he can go into Sukakaja and attempt to reset you. If he ever FCs you with 2C, you might want to Burst since he can deal a lot of damage.

I've been underrating his DP, but your oki should still work on him. Just remember to be blocking when you're hitting 5DD in case if he does mash DP. If you're going for a safe jump setup after 214C, you have to use j.A instead of j.B. If you block Yosuke's dash special and he moonsaults towards you, you can beat it by holding up back into throw. There are probably better punishes than this, but I haven't looked. When Yosuke uses 5D to approach, make it a habit to break the Persona with 5A since 5B will get you punished on the recovery frames usually. If Yosuke attempts Tentarafoo and he's close, I'm pretty sure 214A is the easiest solution to get out and do damage. Also, I'm not really quite sure on this part, but I think you can just late tech to get out of Yosuke's oki. Last piece of advice is, he's one of the easier characters to fuzzy guard. So be sure to do that when you're doing your oki.

But yeah, basically Yosuke's hard to deal with since you can't afford to whiff moves, AA him, and such. Your moves are laggy and kind of slow. But the matchup doesn't seem that bad since all of your tools still work, he has low health, and somewhat low damage. You just need to know when it's safe to press buttons against him. His tools are similar to yours kind of like how Chie is tbh.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I gotta agree that the j.C he has has some decent range (nowhere near Teddie's 5B ridiculousness though), and can second the Moonsault crossups, but I didn't know all that much on Tentarafoo combos admittedly.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I am garbage at this game. Ugh.

GGs Minato.

At least I finally put my name on your loss list!!! Whether you were sandbagging or not is irrelevant! :3

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Nope, I wasn't sandbagging. Lag was bad though and none of our matches synchonized well enough, so that was unfortunate.
I do know that a reversal 5A from Narukami, Yosuke, and anyone with a 5 (?) frame move beats Chie's 5D oki. Timing's tight though so I couldn't get it. :(
Other than that, lag tactics galore.

Anyways, I recommend not doing fullscreen palm attack or whatever. I just normally Ziocar or Ziodyne any whiffed normals on reaction.
You're not bad at the game, but you mash too hard after block and wake up. Also, it's recommended to tech after knockdown. He can do a dive kick ender into j.D (which I can't consistently do online). If you don't tech, Narukami basically does damage like a normal character.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I dunno how the 3rd part of the vacuum works. I just know about the 2nd part. I tried to abuse massive hitstun scaling to get out for free in the 3rd section.

I have no idea how you can DP through the oki. I do delayed 5DD at midscreen which cuts the 5f jab option. Can you DP through any spinner setup or did I just delay it wrong?

Any time I do fullscreen palm, it's because I misinputted meteors. On Liz, I tried to do God Hand right after the flame pillars but again, I'm the worst at inputting double (reverse) fireball. No idea if it would work or not, but I really wanted to try it.

Top Bottom