• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: Out in NA, It's Time You Burn That Dread

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Unless people are always supposed to be above me on my wakeup, I'm not sure all that vertical range makes it the third best DP.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I think Yosuke actually has one of the best DPs in the game, even better than Yu or Mitsuru. It's really fast and has very little recovery, and only loses to very specific persona set-ups.

Yukiko definitely has one of the better DPs though.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I honestly think Yukiko's DP is one of the worst ones. Worst DP, imo, goes to Labrys though. It's just not too useful.
Best ones are probably Narukami, Teddie, Chie, Mitsuru, and Kanji in no real order. Aigis, Yosuke, and Akihiko's aren't too bad. They do have their problems though despite their good points.

Naoto and Elizabeth are on the lower end.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's slow, has relatively low horizontal range, requires her Persona, and deals a whopping 100 damage. The projectile/grab invulnerability and knocking the opponent across the screen are nice, but that doesn't make it a go-to option whatsoever.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
It's slow, has relatively low horizontal range, requires her Persona, and deals a whopping 100 damage. The projectile/grab invulnerability and knocking the opponent across the screen are nice, but that doesn't make it a go-to option whatsoever.
There are slower ones, it covers her entire body (front and back), so does Naoto's and Kanji's, and who does DPs for damage? Sure, it's a go-to option. But like every DP, it's not a go-to option every single time.

I just don't think it's as bad as you're making it sound like. /shrug

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's not terrible, but it's not good. Somehow my original quote of "my character's DP isn't so good that I would rely on it" turned into a complaint of it being a bad DP?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm actually typing the good and bads on each DP right now, just so I can back up my thoughts.
This is taking forever though lol. Look forward to it in like 20 mins, I guess.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
It's not terrible, but it's not good. Somehow my original quote of "my character's DP isn't so good that I would rely on it" turned into a complaint of it being a bad DP?
Nah, I said that I thought it was better than what you were making it out to be, that's all. :3

/two cents

I'm actually typing the good and bads on each DP right now, just so I can back up my thoughts.
I look forward to reading it... in twenty minutes.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I think Yosuke actually has one of the best DPs in the game, even better than Yu or Mitsuru. It's really fast and has very little recovery, and only loses to very specific persona set-ups.

Yukiko definitely has one of the better DPs though.
Yosuke's DP is really good, lasts a long time and counters everything, but it doesn't really work if the opponent is behind him.

No damage, but can't argue with a free knockdown. It has spoiled me and I can sometimes used it too often, but I wish all my characters in every fighting game had this.

Sounds cool, I hope to learn some good ways to handle some of them.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Well this took forever. Might've missed some stuff, but this is what I can recall.

Yu:
+1st hit air unblockable (for a good duration), sets up a safe jump on ground CH, can be used in the air, 100 SP after blocked means good luck blocking after OMC Ziodyne
- Can be safe jumped, needs 100 meter to be safe after block, long recovery on whiff
Teddie:
+ Can't be safe jumped, not punishable after the DP actually connects with anything, opponent can't block if the counter worked and hit the opponent
- Long recovery, short active frames, opponent gets a damage boost after it connects
Mitsuru:
+ Huge hitbox, can hit opponents crossing up
- Punishable on block before landing, not air unblockable, can be safe jumped
Chie:
+ Fast recovery, B+D mashing for easy awakening, hard to punish after the opponent blocks the counter followup, can cancel into 236236A to be safe
- Short active frames, can be safe jumped, can lose to a DP after counter activates
Kanji:
+ Can't be safe jumped, causes paralysis, active frame 1, super armor on frame 1, opponent can't DP mash after super armor
- Air, blockable, requires persona :(
Shabrys:
+ Super armor, really fast, has followup combo
- Can be DP'ed after super armor (but difficult), air blockable, can be safe jumped
Yosuke:
+ Can't be safe jumped, long active frames
- Long recovery on whiff, long recovery if counter followup didn't connect, still loses to Yu's 5D oki unlike Teddie, doesn't get as much mileage off of it like other characters
Akihiko:
+ 1st hit air unblockable
- 1st hit doesn't last long, 1st hit has a bad AA hitbox, can be safe jumped
Aigis:
+ Can be used in the air
- Needs 100 meter to be safe, can be safe jumped, air blockable
Naoto:
+ Takes off skulls on fate counter, can't be safe jumped(?), good combo opportunity after
- Short active frames, loses to cross-ups by not auto-correcting, requires persona, opponent can DP mash after counter like Chie's
Elizabeth:
+ Long invincibility window, charm at the start is really good, confuse at 150 SP is good as well
- Techable outside of Counter or Fear, long start up, long recovery, does no damage, can be safe jumped, useless on opponents when they're airborne
Yukiko:
+ Tall hitbox, invincible to projectiles, ability to heal unless Dia has been held down too much during that round, far knockback, super armor, (near?) impossible to break Persona card on whiffed DP
- Air blockable makes hitbox useless, can be safe jumped, has to heal blue health before being useful, low damage, knockback is only truly beneficial with her good matchups, can be DP mashed out of if opponent does a normal on super armor, requires Persona
Labrys:
+ Super armor, followup combo, can cause Fatal with red axe
- super armor is way too long so it can be DP mashed out of, air blockable, can be safe jumped

Crusayer

Smash Lord
If you roll after blocking Yu and Mitsy's DP, does the super cancel correct itself?

Sion

Island of Horizon
the thing about rolling past them is if they let the dp rock, i think you end up at neutral or you let them get away. i haven't actually tested

i'm basing this off mitsuru actually. i'm not sure about yu's dp

so you're literally baiting 2 things one after another

Minato

穏やかじゃない
If you roll after blocking Yu and Mitsy's DP, does the super cancel correct itself?
No. If Yu doesn't cancel his DP before going way high in the air, run under him and punish on his landing recovery so you don't have to guess if he super cancels or not. If he Super Cancel whiffs a Ziodyne in the air, punish him before landing, since he'll recover fast iirc.

Mitsuru, it's preferable to punish before she lands from her DP. If you're too slow it becomes a guessing game. If she Bufudyne's on landing and you didn't press a button, roll post super flash so she can't OMC it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
GGs, Umby. I admit that it's hard to get stuff going with Naoto online. Especially against Narukami since it feels like a pretty bad matchup. Things I suggest is maybe changing the way you burst. Generally I save my bursts so I can reach Awakening for that defense boost. Of course, the opponent can still bait that, but I find it better than using it at the end. If you use a burst at the end of round one, it's possible the opponent can kill you before you reach awakening and before your burst recharges in round 2.
Cool rundown on the reversals Minato.

GGs too.
GGs. I'm sure you hosting might make things better. The lobby doesn't boot out the host.
And I guess you could do what I do and set my internet setting manually. I noticed on auto/easy, my IP Address would change every so often.

Umby

Smash Master
GGs, Umby. I admit that it's hard to get stuff going with Naoto online. Especially against Narukami since it feels like a pretty bad matchup. Things I suggest is maybe changing the way you burst. Generally I save my bursts so I can reach Awakening for that defense boost. Of course, the opponent can still bait that, but I find it better than using it at the end. If you use a burst at the end of round one, it's possible the opponent can kill you before you reach awakening and before your burst recharges in round 2.
ggs, I'll keep that in mind. Tbh, I'm not sure how to get things going in general. I've been messing around with approaches, since I've been unable to confidently escape a defensive position, but not very sure how to go about it overall. That, and I only know SMP from 2A, 5AA, and 5B starters, which I never land/confirm from.

edit: also, I believe Yosuke's DP can be safe jumped, it's just REEEEEALLLY dumb timing:

http://youtu.be/Oz2OrDwKTy4?t=4m57s

Minato

穏やかじゃない
ggs, I'll keep that in mind. Tbh, I'm not sure how to get things going in general. I've been messing around with approaches, since I've been unable to confidently escape a defensive position, but not very sure how to go about it overall. That, and I only know SMP from 2A, 5AA, and 5B starters, which I never land/confirm from.
Usually Naoto doesn't have to approach too much unless you're fighting Liz or Shabrys. I usually just set two traps and then stagger some shots. If they come in to block the traps or deactivate them, that's when I start my block string/mixup.
edit: also, I believe Yosuke's DP can be safe jumped, it's just REEEEEALLLY dumb timing:

http://youtu.be/Oz2OrDwKTy4?t=4m57s
Strange, how there's no IB in that vid. I tried doing some more tests and you're absolutely right.
I originally thought you could safe jump Yosuke at launch week but someone on Dustloop said otherwise. Guess I shouldn't believe Dustloop randoms, haha.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
GGs. I'm sure you hosting might make things better. The lobby doesn't boot out the host.
And I guess you could do what I do and set my internet setting manually. I noticed on auto/easy, my IP Address would change every so often.
My rooms do disband on me though. I'll look into manual settings and some other things next time.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Doing some ranked matches. Fighting a lot of strong opponents now and having my grade go down, but I don't care since I'm learning these matchups.
Also lost twice to a Teddie really badly. Such a bad bad matchup for Narukami. He's so good.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I honestly don't know who Teddie loses to. His matchups with the better characters seem pretty good.

As for Shabrys vs Narukami, I feel Shabrys wins it if she plays lame. Narukami's only non-Persona normals that break Asterius is the 3rd hit of 5AAA and 5B. His specials and stuff break it, but Shabrys is going to punish him on recovery. But who knows, Shabrys might just be one of my personal bad matchups.

Sion

Island of Horizon
mitsuru gives everyone a hard time

shabrys is definitely really bad for yukiko

i feel that a lot of shabrys' game is controlling space, which is pretty lame. imo narukami can go to town on shabrys if he corners her or gets some good oki going on

Top Bottom