• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: Out in NA, It's Time You Burn That Dread

OBT

Savior of the Pandas
NNID
smuckersjam
I entered a local on Saturday, LK was there. I played some casuals with him before the tourney. Needless to say, I got wrecked. But I wasn't wrecked as hard as Chris G here x.x

I got some nice compliments and tips from people there, like "damn I didn't know Elizabeth could do that"

Feels good, man.

:phone:

Umby

Smash Master
I want to level up, but don't know where to start. Currently rolling with Yu and want to at least have a clue as to what I should be doing with Mitsuru and Aigis. Anyone mind destroying me on PSN occasionally to give some insight?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I would totally play Mitsuru if she wasn't a charge character.

But she is. And such is life.

Rutger, can you change my characters to just Labrys? I really have to settle and focus on one character for the moment. Sorry to ask again. D:

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Yo aisight/Ankoku, who do you watch when you want to see sound/impressive Yukiko play?

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Go to youtube and enter 'a-cho' and 'p4u' and you will see some good play from just about every character. It's a good place to start watching IMO.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
So I actually try Yukiko...and find out her zoning and keep away can actually be done to some extent just by pressing "B"....hmmmm, lol. And dumb question but, with the game being called "Persona 4 Arena", why is the abbreviation P4u?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
P4A = Persona 4: The Anime, P4U = Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena. One is generally used to denote the anime, while the other abbreviation is for the FG.

All of Yukiko's B attacks are fan tosses.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The American release was renamed to Persona 4 Arena, which is why a lot of people here just call it by P4A. It was Persona 4: the Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena, giving it the P4U abbreviation, probably, as Lythium mentioned, to distinguish it from Persona 4: the Animation.

Yukiko's fan zoning is great, but loses to a lot of things as well. I've only beaten really bad people and kinda bad Kanji/Akihiko players with fans alone.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
P4A = Persona 4: The Anime, P4U = Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena. One is generally used to denote the anime, while the other abbreviation is for the FG.

All of Yukiko's B attacks are fan tosses.

Aaaahhh, okay that makes sense. My malfunctioning Ontario brain was confused for a bit there.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
So I got this game a few days ago and I've basically been playing only as Naoto. I'm having a good time playing as her but I'm having trouble getting people away form me if they get in. Is there any good way to make people gtfo or do I just have shoot/lay traps better?

Also are there any good Naoto videos/channels I can learn from and isnt 7 minutes of SMP loops?

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
So I got this game a few days ago and I've basically been playing only as Naoto. I'm having a good time playing as her but I'm having trouble getting people away form me if they get in. Is there any good way to make people gtfo or do I just have shoot/lay traps better?

Also are there any good Naoto videos/channels I can learn from and isnt 7 minutes of SMP loops?

Holy crap, I forgot Naoto can lay traps... :urg:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Lol they're pretty ok. Don't do that well against say, Yu, who can just charge through them or Akihiko, who can just pull you away from them, which sucks since that seems to be an incredibly large amount of the xbox live community. Though it is great when they do work.

Anyway I'd like to add my name to the first post, though I'll probably only be available for like 2 weeks.
XBL: relaxedexorcist
Characters: Naoto and maybe Chie.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YAXpN9cb2Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y_P-6YxOyY

Those should tide you over.

I'm not a Naoto player by any means but most people who do play her or know the matchup against her tend to mention that getting people off of her once they are on her is one of her biggest weaknesses.

General advice to get better is to know all of your options as well as all of your opponent's options. Remember you can always backdash, jump, roll forward, r-action, and that reversal from block that costs 50 meter. (Dunno what it's called in this game.) And then you have all that Naoto-specific stuff which I'm not familiar with, but I at least know you can do that ex-roll forward into shots thingy. Once you are familiar with your opponent's options as well you can easily form a solid defensive plan. Hope that helps!

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YAXpN9cb2Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y_P-6YxOyY

Those should tide you over.

I'm not a Naoto player by any means but most people who do play her or know the matchup against her tend to mention that getting people off of her once they are on her is one of her biggest weaknesses.

General advice to get better is to know all of your options as well as all of your opponent's options. Remember you can always backdash, jump, roll forward, r-action, and that reversal from block that costs 50 meter. (Dunno what it's called in this game.) And then you have all that Naoto-specific stuff which I'm not familiar with, but I at least know you can do that ex-roll forward into shots thingy. Once you are familiar with your opponent's options as well you can easily form a solid defensive plan. Hope that helps!
Awesome! I'll definitely take a good look at those vids tomorrow. Thanks for the advice too, I'll try to get more creative with my camping/evading. Also love the ex-roll when I remember it exists lol.

kinghippo99

Smash Lord
My friends always convince me to get the newest fighting game that just released despite the fact that I have a really hard time ever being proficient in them. SO HEY, LET'S PLAY.
PSN: Hippwned
Characters: Elizabeth

Are there usually times where a room is open and anyone can hop in and play for a bit of critique? :O

Minato

穏やかじゃない
My friends always convince me to get the newest fighting game that just released despite the fact that I have a really hard time ever being proficient in them. SO HEY, LET'S PLAY.

Are there usually times where a room is open and anyone can hop in and play for a bit of critique? :O
Sometimes I'll post ahead of time when I'm planning a lobby. I haven't set one up for awhile since I've been taking a break though.
I guess I'll make one at 4 PST tonight and I'll just invite anyone I see on my PSN list.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero

Holy crap, you're still around?

And we should totally include people's Network title's with their PSN's just for the bored hell of it, lol.

OBT

Savior of the Pandas
NNID
smuckersjam
Can you add Mitsuru to my characters? I decided to pick her up as a secondary after watching LK vs Chris G a bunch of times

:phone:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I create a room and run into a good Kanji, thinking I'll finally get some good Kanji exp.

I lose a couple matches before finally even landing a good combo.

"This room has been disbanded"

*sigh*

I need to figure something out with my internet. :/

And we should totally include people's Network title's with their PSN's just for the bored hell of it, lol.
That sounds like a pain to update, and who know how often people will change them.

I'm not doing that. :|

kinghippo99

Smash Lord
Minato, I'm having trouble connecting to your room. D:

Oh finally. That only took 10 tries.

Derp derp. Don't know what my supers are. Thanks for the games you two! Any feedback is appreciated. Gotta go now.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
*sigh*

GGs everyone.

I'll look into my internet, see if I can improve it. I will not host games until my rooms no longer randomly disband.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I actually think it's a problem with the netcode in general. It's only good for people on 3 or 4 bar connections.
Elizabeth and Naoto aren't fun on 2 bars and less. :ohwell:

Anyone is welcome to play me in BBCT though... lol

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I'm sure some of it is on my end, I don't hear of anyone else creating a room only for it to disband a couple seconds later.

If more people were getting disconnected as often as I am then I imagine there would be more complaints.

Yeah, I could be wrong, this never happened to me with BB, but I should at least try to fix it. :/

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I think my timing sucks since I believe I signed onto P4A just as Minato was signing out of it. Still though...I seem to have terrible luck with this game. Yosuke doesn't really feel that right so I spend my time playing as Chie and then run into an Aigis or Naoto and can't get in, and I find myself often forgetting about the Persona buttons entirely and just leading into things with A. Plus, I kind of have seemed to have a tendency to run into people either way above my skill level or with terri-bad connections in Ranked. It's kind of weird since my win/loss ratio on that is something I'd certainly rather not mention.

However, I think my problem is just forgetting the combination things. Like, I'll remember the 2 button ones no problem, but I don't remember all 3 of the 3 button ones. I believe I remember the Burst one, but not the other two. It kinda reminds me of when I bought BBCT for the very first time and tried to play it. However, I'm more ashamed this time because rage-quitting after you get a win because you realize that prior to that match you were scary close to throwing your stick down and getting a headache from trying to hold yourself back from letting out "rude obscenities in a displeased tone of voice" from not being able to just instantly grasp the entire system after 4 days with it, is just childish and embarrassing.

On the plus side though, I learned a bunch of ways to implement Dragon Kick into Chie combos as an ender, and picked up a couple of Naoto combos. :bee:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
i'm disappointed in the # of aigis' around here
I have a pocket Aigis.
And a pocket Mitsuru.
Derp derp. Don't know what my supers are. Thanks for the games you two! Any feedback is appreciated. Gotta go now.
Kinda laggy so I can't critique much. Your offense was pretty solid. Elizabeth combos are kind of annoying to do online but you had some good stuff going. Just get some sweep into SB Garudyne combos and that'l help.
I think my timing sucks since I believe I signed onto P4A just as Minato was signing out of it. Still though...I seem to have terrible luck with this game. Yosuke doesn't really feel that right so I spend my time playing as Chie and then run into an Aigis or Naoto and can't get in, and I find myself often forgetting about the Persona buttons entirely and just leading into things with A. Plus, I kind of have seemed to have a tendency to run into people either way above my skill level or with terri-bad connections in Ranked. It's kind of weird since my win/loss ratio on that is something I'd certainly rather not mention.
Naoto can be a bit annoying to get in on. Basically you're safe to go in after her 5th shot or when she does another 214B to reload. Other than that, stick out a normal to deactivate her traps and save your burst to break out of SMP combos if your opponent is a good Naoto. Aigis isn't too hard to get in on, it's her rushdown that's the problem. If she does missiles in Orgia mode, might as well instant block for meter. If she does 2B, just A+B to roll past them. If it's a bad Aigis constantly doing 236A/B, she'll run out of bullets fast.

If you're playing ranked, filter out some of the players by putting same skill, same region, etc.
I only play on 3 or 4 bar connections (sometimes two), and the connections are pretty good.
However, I think my problem is just forgetting the combination things. Like, I'll remember the 2 button ones no problem, but I don't remember all 3 of the 3 button ones.
There's only two things that require three buttons. A+B+C for OMC, A+C+D for bursts.
On the plus side though, I learned a bunch of ways to implement Dragon Kick into Chie combos as an ender, and picked up a couple of Naoto combos. :bee:
Generally you're going to want to end Chie's combos with Sweep or All out Attack on an air juggled opponent. This gives you oki for Chie's crazy mixups with Tomoe.

Top Bottom