• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: Out in NA, It's Time You Burn That Dread

Bionichute

Smash Champion
SOOO I'm slightly interested in this game and I have two things to ask:
1. Should I watch a walkthrough of P4 before I get the game?
2. I'm terrible at Non-Smash Bros fighting games, would the fighting system be okay for a newbie like me?

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I think this game would be great for a newbie seeing as it has a beginner combo system. As for watching the walkthrough.....It's up to you. I don't think it matters much

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Yeah, my son has beaten Arcade mode just mashing auto combo and all-out attacks, so it's pretty easy to get started.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Why are you so hard Score Attack? :mad088:

I beat Yosuke, Yukiko, and Teddie though. Yosuke's in constant Sukakaja, Yukiko is in level 8 with fire unblockables, Teddie's unblockable super is 3 times faster and returns two more times. Died on Kanji. His grabs hurt like Tager's when you're in Danger. :ohwell:

Umby

Smash Master
Subscribed.

How do I not suck at this game?

Starting off with Yu/Mitsuru.
Want to move on to Aigis/Chie/Yosuke after I'm comfortable with the first two.
Eventually want to learn the entire cast.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Score attack Kanji's pretty dumb though luckily. I just bum rush him with the same combo~ Yukiko's a pain in the *** though. ._.

This is pretty sad.
100 matches online so far.
and i've found 1 labrys and no shadow labrys.
OUTTA A 100!
Jeeze. The one I did find though was a pretty decent A ranker so, not bad.

Score so far is 100 matches 80 wins. Not bad. I really love this game. Gonna try and drum up a tournament scene in my area.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Lol, it's k.

Someone just changed my name as a joke.
I never would have thought that someone would do that.

SOOO I'm slightly interested in this game and I have two things to ask:
1. Should I watch a walkthrough of P4 before I get the game?
2. I'm terrible at Non-Smash Bros fighting games, would the fighting system be okay for a newbie like me?
1. Depends on how much you are interested in the story. Honestly I would just recommend playing both Persona 3 and Persona 4, but if you don't like turn based battle systems or the dungeon crawling nature of those games or something then a walkthrough might be better. You could easily ignore the story completely though, it's not necessary to play though it to enjoy this game.

2. This might be the most beginner friendly fighting game made, you will have no problem just picking it up and playing. If you want to get good though you will have to learn some more complex mechanics that will take some getting used to if you are new to non-smash games or Arc System Works fighting games. Still, with things like Auto-Combo you will not need to learn things right away to at least put up a fight.

Why are you so hard Score Attack? :mad088:

I beat Yosuke, Yukiko, and Teddie though. Yosuke's in constant Sukakaja, Yukiko is in level 8 with fire unblockables, Teddie's unblockable super is 3 times faster and returns two more times. Died on Kanji. His grabs hurt like Tager's when you're in Danger. :ohwell:
I have only played it once and could not get pass Yosuke. :(

One of the rumors is that Score Attack is how you unlock some of the extra navigators, if that's true then. :054:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
it is. I think theres even one that you can only unlock if you beat score attack mode with ALL CHARACTERS.
Sheesh. I think its Fuuka.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I should probably stop reading this thread until the game gets here on hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday next week, since it's making me wish I had it but...sounds so hype...

Umby

Smash Master
it is. I think theres even one that you can only unlock if you beat score attack mode with ALL CHARACTERS.
Sheesh. I think its Fuuka.
I only see Fuuka listed as being unlocked after playing 250 online matches. Beating Score Attack with all characters seems to be only a trophy/achievement.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Holy balls. Double quarter circle inputs while constantly crossing up.

Look at me mah! I'm playing Fox!

:phone:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Gah, completed Akihiko's challenges.

Ended up looking up the demonstration for challenge 30 because my strategy before involved an AoA wall bounce and it was getting painful and who knows if it would have even worked. :(

But hey, Mitsuru navigator get, and I learned a lot on how Akihiko's combos work. :3

Currently having loads of fun with Labrys, which I did not expect. Dat red axe damage. Might become main material at some point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu2uFTJEBpI&lc

Haha, now I see why it's so damn hard to keep a Red Axe.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'll be on again later. If there's a lobby still going, just send me an invite when I log on.
Also, I don't know who that player was, but I felt so bad in that match when I used Naoto. I wish it was a cleaner win on both rounds.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Good games guys. I need to learn my combos with Labrys and improve my offense, but I feel okay about my defense.

Minato, that was a friend of mine, he took it in good humor lol.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I have to go do something and I miss most of it, oh well. GGs for what I did play.

I have no clue what to do against Yu's oki Minato. :054:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The only characters Yu can't do his oki on are Teddie, Yu, and Kanji (pretty sure of this one at least) on his jump in. Akihiko's a maybe, I haven't tried yet. Everyone else has to respect it unless the Yu player isn't blocking during his jump in or he screwed up something else. Otherwise, all it might do is break one of his persona cards. It's not advised though if you don't have a burst and he does since he can punish with a 6k combo.

If he has only one card left, go for it. Narukami's not going to do anything after that damage-wise.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
GGs everyone.

I think it's time I start learning good combos, I have a good feel for my characters, though Labrys can still use some work.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Today in a nutshell for some offline play:

- I got ***** by Narukami's 5D mixups and 2B
- I got ***** by Mitsuru's 5A and jA
- I got ***** by S.Labby's "wtf is going on" and super armor.

Also, someone teach me how to do 236236 or 214214. I HATE THIS MOTION SO MUCH.

TL?

Smash Ace

Just keep doing the motion and you'll get it down. Just don't mash it or you'll never get it. I was pretty bad at these facing left when SCV came out, but now it's no problem because I just kept playing.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero

Uh...I can teach you some of the SNK/KOF Pretzel commands if you'd rather? 2146136 ftw? :cool:

If you can do a regular 236 or 214 you can do this. All you have to do is just repeat the same method twice. It doesn't have to be extremely fast (Unless you're doing a super cancel). It also depends on what control you are using. Do you use pad or stick?

All you really do is hit down, right, down, right (the reverse being down, left, down, left). The game will accept short cuts too. It will even take 2626, 26236, 23623 and so on. It doesn't have to be perfect.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It doesn't have to be super-fast if you're super-canceling either, unless the quarter circle is in the other direction. It totally accepts 236a236c.

Umby

Smash Master
Any Mitsuru/Yu players want to mirror match on PSN some time so I can learn some things?

PSN: UmbreonShadow
College Park/Atlanta, GA

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Gonna have to join my homie KevMo on the OP.

XBL: MechaNick27
Houston/Austin, TX
Chie

Top Bottom