• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: Out in NA, It's Time You Burn That Dread

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Just got the game. I found out that 236236 supers have 3rd Strike like shortcuts where you can do 23623.
I'm not sure if BB's button hold buffer is still in though.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Just got the game. I found out that 236236 supers have 3rd Strike like shortcuts where you can do 23623.
I'm not sure if BB's button hold buffer is still in though.

Nice. I actually remembered to pre-order it today, so now it's just a matter of sitting back and waiting.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Anyone talk about how the netplay is like?

I hope it's not atrocious.
I heard it's pretty good. Nothing bad about the PS3 version. I don't know if I'll even touch online since I want to do training mode and story.

Also, since there's nothing like FD/Barrier Block, it seems like you're able to block during your dashing animations in P4A.
Throws feel faster than BB's by a couple frames since I can't react to them consistently if my fingers aren't already on C+D and anticipating one.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Just got the game.
Well I'm jealous. :(
But it's only four more days.

What characters are you trying out the most right now?

Scary, but not too bad. She needs 150 SP so it will never have a chance to happen while you have full health unless you are dominating, and there are plenty of places to burst out.

It's actually a cool combo thanks to all the safeguards in this game imo. :3

Minato

穏やかじゃない
What characters are you trying out the most right now?
I only used Narukami for right now since I want to get used to him before the tourneys next week. I tried learning what he can punish and also some frame traps and fatal combos.

Plus I did some arcade mode and other stuff too.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Narukami, I wasn't really expecting that.

I've been thinking about attack range, looking for something like Johnny, I think Labrys might be closest to that.

All of characters look fun, but I think I'm figuring out who all I may want to play, just need to try them out now.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I always figured Minato for an Elizabeth player.

Yeah, I'm having similar issues, Rutger. All the characters look cool, I don't really know who to pick. :I

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Elizabeth's my main that I'll really learn. Her learning curve's harder, and I didn't want to put myself in the same situation like in BB.
Rachel didn't exactly teach me the basics and fundamentals of the game all that well, haha.

I'll work on Aigis too. Narukami's just easy for now since I did also main Ky before.
I'll be honest though, I haven't done too much training mode today. I want to get through the story. XD

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Hey Minato, if you finish the story quickly can you tell me if they are obviously planing for a sequel like in BB?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Hey Minato, if you finish the story quickly can you tell me if they are obviously planing for a sequel like in BB?
Sure. Although who knows, a cliffhanger ending with foreshadowing could mean P5 related stuff too.

And for once, a fighting game story I enjoy that's about a "tournament". XD

I'm looking forward to playing with Yu and Naoto. I've never really got into characters that weren't rush down so this would be a first.

As for Yu I'm loving everything about him. He's Ky Kiske with a divekick. That and I have some pretty cool mix up ideas. On block 2B, JC, 8D~RC~air dash~turn around, 5B or 2A (Divekick) then whatever. Don't know if it will work how I think but Yu's 8D is a lingering overhead that can be potentially dangerous to when canceled. Then again that is half heat if you aren't in awakening mode.

:phone:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
As for Yu I'm loving everything about him. He's Ky Kiske with a divekick. That and I have some pretty cool mix up ideas. On block 2B, JC, 8D~RC~air dash~turn around, 5B or 2A (Divekick) then whatever. Don't know if it will work how I think but Yu's 8D is a lingering overhead that can be potentially dangerous to when canceled. Then again that is half heat if you aren't in awakening mode.
Unfortunately j.D doesn't hit overhead. And like other ASW games, you can't RC/OMC moves until they hit.
He has some pretty good okizeme options after sweep though. You basically get 2-3 chances to open them up that's high/low on either side.

Unfortunately j.D doesn't hit overhead. And like other ASW games, you can't RC/OMC moves until they hit.
He has some pretty good okizeme options after sweep though. You basically get 2-3 chances to open them up that's high/low on either side.
That's are unfortunate. There are some exceptions to the rule (Atleast in Guilty Gear) where you can FRC some attacks without them connecting, such as Sol's Gunflame, all of Ky's 236P/S/D projectiles and grab, Baiken's Matt and j.D and Order Sol's Installs. I guess I should have expected this given that BlazeBlue got rid of the FRC. I miss it a lot to be honest. It rewarded people who had frame perfect timing.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
*Looks at current avatar*

Yeeeeeeeeeah.

Just play Kuma/Teddie.
Bro, I just made this avatar because it looks cool.

But I'll probably end up playing a robot anyway, because that's what happens.

We'll see though, I'll definitely give everyone a try.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Bro, I just made this avatar because it looks cool.

But I'll probably end up playing a robot anyway, because that's what happens.

We'll see though, I'll definitely give everyone a try.
Well I got to play this game for the first time. Definitely going with Elizabeth.

And then Teddie in case I have to go up against any Mitsus.

BTW Elizabeth's counter IK works on projectiles.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
That's are unfortunate. There are some exceptions to the rule (Atleast in Guilty Gear) where you can FRC some attacks without them connecting, such as Sol's Gunflame, all of Ky's 236P/S/D projectiles and grab, Baiken's Matt and j.D and Order Sol's Installs. I guess I should have expected this given that BlazeBlue got rid of the FRC. I miss it a lot to be honest. It rewarded people who had frame perfect timing.

Yeah, nothing like FRCs in this game. Checking if j,D was an overhead was one of the early things I tried since I was curious if you could set up an unblockable. I've been messing around with his oki options though. After Sweep into 5D, you can basically do j.B, empty jump low, roll 5D reset, jump cancel after j.B and press D, or even jump cancel your j.B into j.A for fuzzy guard mixup. The fuzzy guard mixup only works on only the taller characters though. It's good since you can get almost 2k damage midscreen which ends with sweep.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I wish I had money for this game, it looks REALLY REALLY REALLY good.

It wasn't for nothing that my name used to be Brosuke :v

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
That's a nice chart.

I can't wait until jumpcancel airdash turnaround mixups are going to be used. The air turnaround mechanic is very interesting on its own.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm going to a midnight launch for this.

Beyond excited!
My scumbag Gamestop isn't having a midnight release for this game. :c

I am going to have a little get-together at my place on Tuesday evening, though. :3 Me and a few friends are gonna be grinding out on dat P4A. Awwwwwww yis!

Smooth Criminal

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
I'm gonna be at the FinestKO 24-hour launch charity event thingy!

Pretty hyped!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
That charity event for P4A sounds really fun. It sounds like NorCal's going to level up so much that day.

In other news, I was bored and learned 2 SMP combos for Naoto. Wasn't too hard, actually.
I gave up on the third for now since that one was kind of strict at one part.

Plus, learning her SMP combos before her neutral game isn't the best idea.

Dacidbro

Smash Rookie
Live, the balance is impressive. Only a few characters seem inviable, should be 7-10 characters that can be played at tournament level. Also, floatiness is based on character. Many are not floaty at all.

Ryker, Yosuke is fine. Hard to say the best way to play him, and he's executionally challenging, but seems to be a good character. Watch for Huey253 in America, he's gonna be a dangerous Yosuke.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
So I was playing around to see how much silliness I could get away with. Yukiko's LV8 Fire 236236D 236236D 236236D for 8300 is pretty amusing.

Also, 236A236D being equivalent to 236A 236236D is cool.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Live, the balance is impressive. Only a few characters seem inviable, should be 7-10 characters that can be played at tournament level. Also, floatiness is based on character. Many are not floaty at all.

Ryker, Yosuke is fine. Hard to say the best way to play him, and he's executionally challenging, but seems to be a good character. Watch for Huey253 in America, he's gonna be a dangerous Yosuke.
Which characters would you say aren't tourney viable?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Which characters would you say aren't tourney viable?

(Spooky voice) Kaaaaaaanjiiiiiiiii noooooooooo

Seriously, I'm curious to know what your thoughts are on this as well.

It doesn't look like Labby, S. Labby, and Kanji hold up very well in certain situations, let alone specific match-ups. Maybe Elizabeth and Yukiko, too. If I had to guess, I'd say it's those three of those five. Correct me if I'm wrong, Dacid.

Smooth Criminal

Top Bottom