• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: Out in NA, It's Time You Burn That Dread

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689

Developer: Arc System Works
Platform: arcade, PS3, 360
Genre: 2D Fighting
Release date: November 28th 2013 (arcade), August 28, 2014 (JP console), September 30, 2014 (NA console), November 21, 2014 (EU console)
Japanese web site: http://p-atlus.jp/p4u2/
English web site: http://www.atlus.com/p4au/
Intro

Persona 4 Arena(titled Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena in Japan) is a fighting game developed by Arc System Works who have worked on both Guilty Gear and Blazblue, and is based off of the JRPG Persona 4 developed by Atlus. This game takes place two months after the events of Persona 4 as well as two years after Persona 3 and while I assume that most of the people interested in this game have already played through these games, I want to warn you that there are spoilers for both P4 and P3.

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax(titled Persona 4: the Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold in Japan) is the sequel. Nine new characters have been added, as well as alternate Shadow versions of the majority of the cast.

PSN IDs and XBL Tags

Username
PSN/XBL

[COLLAPSE="PSN"]Zankoku
aisight
Las Vegas, NV

DJCrinkleCut
PSN: MikNuggetz
Long Island, NY, USA
, Margaret

Hacksorus
Hacksorus
NS, Canada
Adachi

jaeohjae
KidJaejae
Rise,

Jam Stunna
JamStunna
Hartford, CT, USA
Margaret

LivewiresXe
PSN: L-W-X
Ottawa, ON, Canada

Lythium
winterlemon
Halifax, NS, Canada
Kid with Dog

Minato
Izanagi_XIII
Corona, CA

Rutger
RutgerFE6
Orlando, Florida
Margaret,

[S9] S4kurazaki
PSN: HRM_S4kuraz4ki
SoCal
, S.
, Margaret

[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="XBL"]No one[/COLLAPSE]

The Cast

Persona 4:
Yu Narukami (Persona: Izanagi)
Yosuke Hanamura (Persona: Jiraiya)
Chie Satonaka (Persona: Tomoe Gozen)
Yukiko Amagi (Persona: Konohana Sakuya)
Kanji Tatsumi (Persona: Take-Mikazuchi)
Teddie (Persona: Kintoki Douji)
Naoto Shirogane (Persona: Sukuna Hikona)
Rise Kujikawa (Persona: Himiko)
Touru Adachi (Persona: Magatsu Izanagi)
Marie (Persona: Kaguya)
Margaret (Persona: Yo****sune, Cu Chulainn, and Ardha)

Persona 3:
Aigis (Persona: Athena)
Akihiko Sanada (Persona: Caesar)
Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona: Artemisia)
Elizabeth (Persona: Thanatos)
Junpei Iori (Persona: Trismegistus)
Yukari Takeba (Persona: Isis)
Ken & Koromaru (Persona: Kala-Nemi & Cerberus)

New Characters:
Labrys (Persona: Ariadne)
Shadow Labrys (Asterios)
Sho Minazuki(No Persona)
Sho Minazuki(Persona: Tsukuyomi)

Gameplay

Controls

Button layout:
Persona 4 Arena has four different buttons, A(weak attack), B(strong attack), C(Persona attack), and D(Persona rush).

The standard arcade layout is:
A C
B D

All-Out Rush:
Press A+B to activate an overhead attack with super armor, if it hits the opponent will be sent spinning away from you. If you mash A or B your character will dash towards the opponent, then you can follow up with C or D. C launches the opponent up in a cloud of smoke resembling a skull while D knocks the opponent away.

Sweep:
Press 2A + B. It knocks the opponent down.

Quick Escape:
Press A+C, it dodges opponents' moves and has a few frames of invincibility.

Mini-jump:
Press 2A+C.

Air Turn:
Press A+C when the character is in the air. Your character will turn around.

Furious Action:
Press B+D, a reversal action that is unique to every character, it will turn a portion of your life into blue health.

Throw:
Press C+D. You can also escape your opponent's throw with C+D.

Hud

Life Gauge:
The Yellow Bar that displays the character's health. Red is health you just lost and will drain to black when you are in neutral. Blue is lost health that will slowly fill back up, but if you are hit you will lose all Blue health.

Spirit Point(SP) Gauge:
The Blue bar at the bottom of the screen. For most of the match it will max out at 100, but when you go into Awakening the max will become 150.

Persona Gauge:
Four cards under the health bar. One card will be lost if your Persona or you are hit while your Persona is on the screen. If all cards are lost then you will go into Persona Break and you will be unable to use any attacks that require your Persona or bursts until the gauge fills back up.

Offensive Mechanics

Auto Combo:
An Auto Combo is activated by repeatedly and quickly pushing the A button. It makes for an easy combo and it can be super-cancelled.

Skill Boost:
Skill Boosts are like EX attacks found in other fighting games. They cost 25 SP to use, input the attack as you would normally and press both A and B or C and D.

SP Skill Attack:
Also known as Super Attacks, these powerful attacks cost 50SP.

One More! Cancel
Press A+B+C. Costs 50 SP to use and will cancel any move leaving you in neutral. The attack must hit the opponent or they must block it.

Mortal Blow:
An attack that will instantly kill your opponent. All you need is for it to be match point for yourself and 100 SP. 222 C+D

Defensive Mechanics

Ukemi:
Press any button to recover while falling to the ground or hitting the ground.

Instant Block:
Block right as you are attacked and you will gain more SP and have better frame advantage.

Guard Cancel Attack:
Press 6A + B while guarding. It costs 50 SP and has invincibility frames.

Misc.

BURST:
Press A+C+D. You have one burst at a time, when used your BURST icon will black out and you will not be able to burst until the B refills. There are three different kind of bursts in this game.

1. A Defensive Burst which knocks the opponent away when used in hitstun or blockstun. This burst is colored blue.
  2. A Max Burst which is used when you are in neutral, knocks your opponent away and fills up your SP gauge to max. It's like Guilty Gear's Gold Burst.
  3. A One More Burst, it's used while you are attacking the opponent. It will knock upwards and let you continue your combo. It's like Blazblue's Gold Burst, but is colored Red.
Awakening:
This game's comeback mechanic. When you have about 30% or less health left and are in neutral a close up of your character's eyes will flash onscreen, your SP Gauge will now max at 150 and you will gain 50 SP, your defense will increase, and you will gain access to your Awakening Super. Because you need to be in neutral you can be killed before this has a chance to activate.

Status Effects:
Some characters have moves that will effect how your character can play.
  • Poison: Lose a set portion of health over time.
  • Panic: Left and Right are switched around.
  • Fear: Any hit that lands becomes a Fatal Counter, cannot escape throws.
  • Rage: Disables blocking.
  • Mute: Disables persona related abilities such as C and D attacks, Bursts, and some speicals and supers.
  • Shock: Disables movement(walking, jumping, airdashing, etc), Quick Escape, Mini Jump, Ukemi, and attacks that move the character are still usable.
  • Charm: Drains SP and gives it to the opponent. The opponent still gains SP when you reach zero.
  • Freeze: Traps you in ice for a little while, shake to escape faster. CT Jin Ice. :urg:
  • Negative Penalty: If you run away from your opponent for too long and you will get a warning, continue and you will enter the Negative Penalty state and you will take more damage. Negative Penalty will go away when you take multiple offensive actions.

Videos

Game Opening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3wI7RYwml0 (arcade)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCP9Mypba1U

Tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMRH2JeCG0I (recommended)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx8VKwYUbFQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDGSksZdTw0

E3 Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esQXF9UGFw0

Last edited:

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I've never played Persona but if this game gets released in America and the gameplay is good I might get it.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
This game is looking beautiful imo. I need to see a video of it.

I really hope I'll Face Myself is the mirror match theme, it will be a crime not to have that.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Yeah, I'm hoping he makes a new I'll Face Myself track just for that

Whether it would have been Shoji or Daisuke, it seems impossible for the soundtrack of this game to be bad.

I'm glad to see Shoji Meguro though, it will sound more appropriate imo.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
☯ The fact that Aigis is in the game automatically makes me jump for joy. This should get a US release since most of the Persona series have one. Just hope they don't pull an Arcana Hearts 3 move. -_-;

Minato

穏やかじゃない
☯ The fact that Aigis is in the game automatically makes me jump for joy. This should get a US release since most of the Persona series have one. Just hope they don't pull an Arcana Hearts 3 move. -_-;
Hopefully they'll put it on both consoles. It'll be disappointing if they don't.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Wow, I never heard of this, bit the visuals are making me look into in, and I just relialized that ARC and Atlus are doing this.

I'm definetly interested now.

:phone:

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
A P4 fighter doesn't sound as risky as AH3 imo. I expect to get both.

I also assume Atlus will bring it over if it gets localized.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=yWHKTnDNOpg

Better quality trailer.

Some notes:
Yu uses an All Out attack that launches the opponent up and he follows up at the cost of a little bit of meter(less than one section.) There were some other small meter uses too.
Yosuke causes confusion status on Yukiko(while smiling at the player.)
Yukiko has an Agi level? Always at 0.

Edit: also, One More made it into the game. Probably a cancel. It looked like it cost about one section of meter, but Yu gained it all back afterwards.

I believe this game will be at TGS so hopefully we will get some match videos then.

I'm going to keep an eye on Yosuke, he looks like he will be th Chipp/Tao of the game imo.

And confusion status? :confused:

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I sure hope it's not some BS like inverted controls, that ****'s saved for rpgs/minigames

EDIT: That didn't stop capcom from giving trolldok a move that does it though now that I think about it. Still stupid.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
A couple more videos here.
http://www.youtube.com/user/gostunv
And this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOTuGUgbm98

And some more info.

-Beatdown Attack
Has super armor
Hard to punish on block, {IB -> 5A} works best

-Awakening
Doesnt activate while being combo'ed, you can die before it kicks in. The bonus defense also wont apply.

-Counter Hit
Increases damage and untechable time.

-Fatal Counter
Like Blazblue, increases untechable time +2F

-Instant Block
Like BB/GG

-Air Turn
Odd usage, like Chie's Reverse TK Dragon Kick to run away

-Negative Status
Some moves causes these:
Poison: like Bang's, lose HP over time
Shock/Paralyze: cant move
Confuse: Reversed back/forward walking
Yu Narukami (an all-rounder who can fight at any distance) After pressing D while using a standing D attack, or doing a jumping D, he'll be able to fight independently of his Persona. 電光石火 (aka Swift Strike) can be used to counter attacks. EX Zio puts the enemy into shocked status, and prevents him from moving.

Chie (shines at close-range rushdown) 暴れまくり (aka Rampage) cancels into 脳天落とし (aka Skull Cracker), which breaks guard. (I might be misinterpreting this) Power Charge is a super, and buffs her damage (can stack up to 3 times) Agneyastra is her ultimate attack, and if guarded brings you very close to the enemy. (Yeah I'm definitely misinterpreting this lol)

Yousuke (speediest in the game!) In the air he can cancel any of his specials into another special. He can cast Tentarafoo, which is unblockable and causes panic status. While in panic status the enemy's left/right controls are reversed. After casting Sukukaja (his ultimate) his dashes are considered attacks (might be misinterpreting that last part).

Yukiko (her fans allow her to pressure the enemy from long range) Dia restores her health as you hold down the button. Fire Boost increases the damage of fire attacks and is stackable. Fire Break makes your next fire attack unblockable.

Kanji (gets in close and uses grappling moves) His normal grab and 串刺しだぁ! (aka Skewer) command grab have extra range. 耐えてみやがれ! can grab enemies unless they're crouching. As the enemy takes damage from his D attacks, they get closer to getting put in shocked status which prevents them from moving.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I really like how Yosuke looks so far, kind of Chipp-ish.

He seems like a bit of a joke character to, breaking the fourth wall, his knock down pose, his walking animation almost reminds me of Slayer's in a way.

Yeah, Yosuke looks like my main so far. I want to try all the characters though. :3

Kind of strange how I haven't seen anything on Aigis yet. :/

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
They're probably saving her for some sort of announcement or something. Aigis will be super popular, no doubt.

And I'm not a huge fan of Yukiko in the game, but she looks interesting for sure. No pun intended.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I think Aigis is playable though, I'm pretty sure I've seen people hover above her in videos.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Holy crap, brosuke looks really solid. Looks like he can poke at the opponent from what ever range he wants.

Even if kanji ends up being crap i'm still maining him. Nothings more manly then beating down peeps with a folding chair.

....until I see teddy in action. The wait is unBEARable. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I just remembered that Aigis isn't on the character move list, so yeah she probably isn't playable.

Anyways, the person that uploaded a couple videos has three more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz7U6fjwJiY&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7tCUiygZQQ&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOkNR4w4o-Q&feature=channel_video_title

Also, Bursts are like GG. Yellow knock the opponent away and give meter. I've seen it give over 50 but I don't know if it will be 100% or a set amount yet.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Yeah, something like that.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/09/1...ith-persona-4-the-ultimate-in-mayonaka-arena/

A description of the game. Nothing new for anyone keeping up with the game, but it's good.

I expect people to try and play around Awakening, ending combos right before the opponent goes into it so that the next combo will do better damage, kill, or get them to waste a burst.

I'm glad it doesn't look stupid like X-factor, I'm okay with Awakening for now. I can't see Awakening winning the game for someone, so my biggest fear out of the info we have has been avoided.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I keep forgetting that I made this thread, and have to update it with important stuff. Thanks for the info, Rutger! :3c

I'm pretty excited for Naoto. I hope we see some footage of her and Teddie soon.

Top Bottom